ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Nintendo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nintendo Changed so Game Rogue will enter

Old April 21st, 2002, 11:06 PM   #1
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 267
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via AIM to mountpanic Send a message via Yahoo to mountpanic
Red face Bought my first NES yesterday...

At a garage sale with 10 carts; Super Mario/Duck Hunt, Super Mario 2, Super Mario 3, Tetris, Rygar, Joust, Gyruss, Top Gun, Batman and Dragon Warrior, plus 2 controllers and a light gun (AND 2 SNES controllers that got thrown in to boot -- swell, once I find a cheap SNES). It seemed like a pretty reasonable deal to me, although I'm sure I could have done a little better if I'd wanted to really hunt, which I didn't.

Anyway, now I have 2 questions...

1) What are some of the best games for the NES?

2) NESs can be somewhat tempermental, can't they? This one certainly was kept in the best condition, and when I turn it on with a cart in, it tends to turn on and off over and over and over. How do you deal with this? I reckon it could use a good cleaning, but other than that, I'm at a loss.

------------------
Look, I can't help it if I have a sweet ass.

There is no one you couldn't love once you've heard their story.
Mary Lou Kownacki (via Fred Rogers)

Enjoy the CC Free Games Archive
mountpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2002, 05:50 AM   #2
Big_Bag_Man
Registered

Big_Bag_Man has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Games Owned: 0
Red face

Blow in the cartridge. I know they say not to but it works like an f'ing charm.

Best games are:

SMB 1,2,3
Contra 1,2 (Super C)
Zelda 1,2
River City Ransom
Kirby's Adventure
Punchout!!
Marble Madness
Battletoads
Metal Gear
Dragon Warrior IV
Kid Icarus
Metroid

I'm sure there's more, that's what came to me off the top of my head.

------------------
I hate Sega.

"I think that I've had enough of the 'kids games', 'adult games' thing. It completely misses the point. Are they afraid that playing a game with colors in it will make them a dork? Well, that boat has already sailed. You play videogames? Welcome to dorksville." ~ Gabe
Old April 22nd, 2002, 06:13 AM   #3
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Red face

What he said. Especially River City Ransom. Add Bionic Commando to that list. Can't believe he didn't mention Ninja Gaiden. Double Dragon 2 and 3 kick heaps of ass. Battletoads is a fucking hard game. That's what I can come up with...oh, and maybe Ninja Turtles 2 and 3.

EDIT: Don't blow in your games. Clean them with alcohol and put the game in. Turn system on. If it blinks, turn it off. Try sliding the game to one side, a bit at a time. Try again. Keep moving the game around a bit in the slot until you find a good position. OR the easiest fix is to hook a Game Genie up to it. Since the connection is MUCH tighter, it works much better.
------------------
Pahn

I hate Sega too.

"I'm different, but lacking appeal."

"As my own personal tribute to Sega, I took my DC and covered it in dog shit.
If it was a piece of art, it would be called: Redundant"
"Pity"
"Agreed. It was a terrible waste of good dog shit." - some guys in R.G.V.Sony

[This message has been edited by Pahn (edited April 22, 2002).]
Old April 22nd, 2002, 07:13 AM   #4
Arod1983

Arod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant future

Games Owned: 22
Red face

Blowing works well for me

I strongly reccommend CRYSTALIS...very underrtaed and overlooked games but for those who have played thru it, it really is an excellent game!

------------------
Crystalis on NES - The BEST videogame ever made!

Go Seattle Mariners!
Arod1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2002, 07:13 AM   #5
Symytry

Symytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 184
Arrow

Mega Man 1 -6. 2 is easily my favorite, mostly because of Metal Blades, the never-ending multi-directional weapon I would also track down Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2, but that could prove to be a little tough. You might also want to get Metroid and definitely the other shite people listed as well. Stay away from Sports games!!!! They're CRAP! Every last one of them!

[This message has been edited by Symytry (edited April 22, 2002).]
Symytry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2002, 07:18 AM   #6
BigTime

BigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the rough

Live!: lamegamertag

Games Owned: 14
Red face

Excitebike

------------------
L8
Old April 22nd, 2002, 08:08 AM   #7
Big_Bag_Man
Registered

Big_Bag_Man has a little shameless behaviour in the past

If it's a top-loader the Game Genie won't fit, though.

Blowing (in cartridges... wouldn't want to give Interub more sig material ) works best for me.

------------------
I hate Sega.

"I think that I've had enough of the 'kids games', 'adult games' thing. It completely misses the point. Are they afraid that playing a game with colors in it will make them a dork? Well, that boat has already sailed. You play videogames? Welcome to dorksville." ~ Gabe
Old April 22nd, 2002, 08:31 AM   #8
Shinobi128

Shinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the rough

Games Owned: 104
Wink

How could you not mention Castlevania 1-3?

------------------
Shinobi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2002, 08:57 AM   #9
Symytry

Symytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 184
Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Shinobi128:
How could you not mention Castlevania 1-3?

Shite, we deserve to be whacked for that. Castlevania 3 was my favorite. Harder than a mutherfucker if I remember right.

------------------
Symytry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2002, 10:46 AM   #10
Shinobi128

Shinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the rough

Games Owned: 104
Red face

3 was indeed the best. I don't think I ever did finish the game though...time to boot up nesticle.
Shinobi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2002, 09:52 PM   #11
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 95
Red face

I'm with BigTime. One of my favorite NES games is Excitebike.

------------------
The Sega Dreamcaster
The X-Boxer
The GameCuber
The Forum
Old October 1st, 2004, 07:25 AM   #12
johan_1984

johan_1984 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symytry
Mega Man 1 -6. 2 is easily my favorite, mostly because of Metal Blades, the never-ending multi-directional weapon I would also track down Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2, but that could prove to be a little tough. You might also want to get Metroid and definitely the other shite people listed as well. Stay away from Sports games!!!! They're CRAP! Every last one of them!

[This message has been edited by Symytry (edited April 22, 2002).]
Hey, what's wrong with World Cup and Punchout??? Agree with the Mega Man series!! Mega Man V is my favorite.

The Dragon Warrior series and.................Legacy of the Wizard, yes I really think that is a fun and GOOD game even if it seems impossible...

Also the Wizards and Warriors series and Rad Gravity are kinda cool games hehe
johan_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 08:26 AM   #13
DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to all

Live!: TheDirtyOne

Games Owned: 71
Send a message via ICQ to DirtySanchez Send a message via AIM to DirtySanchez
Seriously, and Tecmo Bowl and Tecmo Super Bowl?! Come on, that's that shit right there.

Beyond that all my faves have been mentioned except maybe, if you want to see where it all began, Final Fantasy. It all started on the NES.
DirtySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 08:47 AM   #14
Zach

Zach will become famous soon enoughZach will become famous soon enoughZach will become famous soon enoughZach will become famous soon enoughZach will become famous soon enoughZach will become famous soon enough

It blinks on and off because like people have told you to do, someone liked to blow in it and the games in the first place.

Buy a proper cleaning kit.
Old October 1st, 2004, 11:24 AM   #15
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 191
Send a message via AIM to bigloser Send a message via MSN to bigloser
Captain Skyhawk
Paperboy.
Spy Hunter.
Double Dragon.
Mario 3.
Zelda.
Zelda 2.
Ninja Gaiden.
Mike Tyson's PunchOut.
Prince Of Persia.
Cabal.
Tecmo Bowl.
Castlevania.
Tetris.
Contra.
Dr.Mario.
Ghosts and Goblins.
Pinball.
R.C. Pro Am 1&2.
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 11:25 AM   #16
Intruderb

Intruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 420
Games Wanted: 30
after I push the cart down, I giver 'er a little push forward with the tip of my thumb- you'll actually feel it "sit" tighter against the registers. If this does not work for you- take her apart and clean the innards, and clean the carts registers with a dry q-tip.
... first, your dick is going to TOUCH hairy man ass, second your dick is going to PENETRATE hairy man ass, and lastly you're going to have to FUCK hairy man ass until you nut. What if he starts fucking you back? What if the dude starts groaning? Hairy man ass groaning?
Intruderb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 01:23 PM   #17
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
If you're getting repeated blinking screens on the original front loading NES you need to replace the system's 72 pin connector.

The original NES's connectors were simply prone to failure with usage and time. It doesn't matter how well it was taken care of, if it was played semi-regularly, this connector would/will give you problems. It's very easy to repleace and they can be purchased on eBay for just a couple of dollars. I suggest you secure one and modify your NES.

As far as which games are worth your while I'd suggest you try:
  • Kid Icarus
  • The Legend of Zelda series
  • CastleVania series
  • Metroid
  • Bubble Bobble
  • Rainbow Island
  • River City Ransom
  • Excitebike
  • Mario Bros.
  • Blaster Master
  • Ninja Gaiden series
  • Contra series
  • Dr. Mario
  • Bionic Commando
  • Kirby's Adventure
  • Marble Madness
  • Battletoads
  • Metal Gear
  • Pro Wrestling
  • Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
  • Ghosts N' Goblins
  • Adventure Island
  • Crystalis
  • Yoshi's Cookie
  • Kung Fu
  • Hogan's Alley
  • Street Fighter (Pathetic, but funny in retrospect)
  • Dragon Warrior series (RPG)
  • Star Tropics (RPG)
  • Hydlide (RPG)

Unless you're stictly doing collecting for the sake of collecting, don't bother with "Megaman" games, since you can get the entire 8-bit "MegaMan" collection on the PS2 or Gamecube.

The first "Final Fantasy" was absolutely horrible. I know you're already not an RPG fan, this game will only remind you why. If it's that serious, just get the PSX "Final Fantasy" Anthology disc; unless of course you're in it for the sake of collecting.

If you like sports games (which I don't, and Pro Wrestling and Punch-Out don't count), add "Tecmo Bowl" to the list.

Last edited by Aeon Storm : October 1st, 2004 at 01:25 PM.
Aeon Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 01:59 PM   #18
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
or if you;re really interested buy a NES toploader. the new NES built in 1992.

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 02:34 PM   #19
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
Arrow or if you;re really interested buy a NES toploader. the new NES built in 1992.

That thing sucks ass. Not only is it ugly as fuck, it doesn't have A/V outputs. Only RF. Sega pulled the same shit with the "Master System II". Only they were even worse because they removed the A/V jacks, game card input, and the reset button.

The original front loading NES with a new 72 pin connector is definitely the way to go IMO.
Old October 1st, 2004, 06:40 PM   #20
sickmind

sickmind has a spectacular aura aboutsickmind has a spectacular aura aboutsickmind has a spectacular aura aboutsickmind has a spectacular aura aboutsickmind has a spectacular aura aboutsickmind has a spectacular aura aboutsickmind has a spectacular aura aboutsickmind has a spectacular aura aboutsickmind has a spectacular aura aboutsickmind has a spectacular aura aboutsickmind has a spectacular aura about

PSN: MrSickmind

Exclamation i dont even like skating, but..

Skate or Die
sickmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 02:03 AM   #21
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Skate or Die 2 is much better.

I remember wearing out a controller trying to do a certain code in that game.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 12:06 PM   #22
Indra

Indra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud of

Faxandu mutherfucker. Faxandu.

~Bill Hicks
Indra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:47 PM   #23
Steel

Steel is infamous around these partsSteel is infamous around these partsSteel is infamous around these partsSteel is infamous around these partsSteel is infamous around these partsSteel is infamous around these partsSteel is infamous around these partsSteel is infamous around these partsSteel is infamous around these partsSteel is infamous around these partsSteel is infamous around these parts

Live!: steelx360

Games Owned: 81
aw...that bring such memories...

nintendo was the first console that I've ever owned when I was a kid...

and the only game we ever played was super mario bros. 3...and the other was adventure island.

that's it.
Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 11:36 PM   #24
DefMATRIXense

DefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: ShadowBigBoss

Games Owned: 25
Send a message via AIM to DefMATRIXense
No one remembers the classic metal gear? When I was like 8 years old. I can't beat this game.. all of my friends can't either. Now I finallly beat the game when I was 26 years old. Now I understand why didnt I beat this game when i was younger because I didn't resume all prisoners or you will never beat this game...
Old October 3rd, 2004, 03:32 AM   #25
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
resume prisoner's ehh.

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: