ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Microsoft
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Microsoft Most powerful console available. The Xbox is doing well on its homecourt, but on the road sales aren't dominating.

Old August 17th, 2005, 06:20 AM   #1
Shinobi128

Shinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the rough
Games Owned: 104
Games Wanted: 0
Xbox 360 pricing

http://www.latimes.com/business/cust...ck=1&cset=true

Quote:
Microsoft Sets Price for Xbox 360 Versions
Alex Pham
Microsoft Corp. said its next-generation Xbox 360 game console would cost $299 to $399 when the device is launched this holiday season.

The $299 version will come with a wired controller, but will not have the 20-gigabyte hard-disc drive, wireless controller, headset, Ethernet cable and wireless television remote control included in the $399 version.

Sony Corp., which said it would launch PlayStation 3 in the spring, has not released a price for its new console.

"This will put pressure on Sony come holiday of 2007 because by then Microsoft will cut their premium price to $299 or below, while the PS3 will still be north of $399," said P.J. McNealey, an analyst at American Technology Research. Meanwhile, Nintendo Co. cut $20 off the price of its Dual Screen hand-held console to $129.99.
It's going to be years before I own a 360. I've never bought a console over $200.
Shinobi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2005, 06:41 AM   #2
fgarriel

fgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant future
Games Owned: 133
Send a message via AIM to fgarriel
[really old gag]How much does an gold Zelda cart and accompanying console go for[/ROG]

It was OoT with the fancy label, right?
fgarriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 06:52 AM   #3
BIG MIKE

BIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 1

beerhammer
Bah!~ I always wait a year or so for a few price drops anyways.

member and founder of the"space wasting, off topic bastards club"

'May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face. And may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.'

R.I.P KRD, I miss you buddy.
BIG MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:19 AM   #4
Big9erFan

Big9erFan has a brilliant futureBig9erFan has a brilliant futureBig9erFan has a brilliant futureBig9erFan has a brilliant futureBig9erFan has a brilliant futureBig9erFan has a brilliant futureBig9erFan has a brilliant futureBig9erFan has a brilliant futureBig9erFan has a brilliant futureBig9erFan has a brilliant futureBig9erFan has a brilliant future
Games Owned: 8
Send a message via AIM to Big9erFan
BOOOOOO for splintering the market base!
Big9erFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:37 AM   #5
Gamblor

Gamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud of
Games Owned: 0
Send a message via AIM to Gamblor
Boo. Now I'm officially waiting for PS3, simply for the fact that I feel I've been lied to.
Gamblor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:41 AM   #6
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of
Games Owned: 95
Here's another source:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08...s_6131245.html

Well I have no intentions of buying the core system... but I don't see myself paying 400 bucks for the one with the harddrive and stuff. At least if it launched right now, because considering my current financial status. Looks like I'll be waiting... Thanks Microsoft
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:43 AM   #7
Shinobi128

Shinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the rough
Games Owned: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgarriel
[really old gag]How much does an gold Zelda cart and accompanying console go for[/ROG]

It was OoT with the fancy label, right?
Yep. Brand new too.
Shinobi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #8
Rubikon

Rubikon is a jewel in the roughRubikon is a jewel in the roughRubikon is a jewel in the roughRubikon is a jewel in the roughRubikon is a jewel in the roughRubikon is a jewel in the roughRubikon is a jewel in the roughRubikon is a jewel in the roughRubikon is a jewel in the roughRubikon is a jewel in the roughRubikon is a jewel in the rough
Xbox 360 Core System - $299 (299 Euros, 209 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•Wired controller
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership
•Standard AV cables

Xbox 360 - $399 (399 Euros, 279 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•20GB detachable hard drive
•Wireless controller
•Wireless Xbox Live headset
•High-definition AV cables
•Ethernet cable
•Xbox 360 Media Remote Control (limited time)
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership

• Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP)
• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)
• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP)
• Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP)
• Play and Charge Kit ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Rechargeable Battery Pack ($11.99, 14.99 Euros, 9.99 GBP)
• Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP)
• Headset ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Universal Media Remote ($29.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• S-Video AV Cable (US) ($29.99)
• SCART AV Cable (Europe) (24.99 Euros, 17.99 GBP)
• VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

$20 for a face plate? $100 bucks for a 20 gig hard drive? Psshh. Screw that.
Rubikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 08:38 AM   #9
Bigg Russ

Bigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 73

Bigg Russ
Send a message via AIM to Bigg Russ Send a message via Yahoo to Bigg Russ
Wow. Definitely changes my plans.
Bigg Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #10
DG

DG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 28
Changes mine also.

I don't give a damn about wireless controllers, (in fact I prefer a wired controller), but the HD is a must.

A 20 gig drive for $100!? Bizarre.

Oh well, there's still the PS3 or Revolution...
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:00 AM   #11
DG

DG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond repute
Sony's gotta be loving this right now!

Anyway, I just sent an email off to Microsoft:
Quote:
The Xbox has been my primary game machine this generation and I was all set to move onto the 360, but I just read that the core system doesn't come with a Hard Drive.

That's bad news for two reasons:

1) It splits the hardware base so developers can't count on the hard drive being there for caching content.

2) When you can get an 80 gig HD for under $70 at the local Walmart, $99 for a 20 gig seems excessive.

I don't care about wireless controllers, HD A/V cables, or headsets so the bundle option means little to me.

I guess now my choice for my next console is down to either the PS3 or Revolution...

This is disapointing news to put it mildly.
Maybe if enough people mail they'll relent and make the damn HD standard.
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:19 AM   #12
Symytry

Symytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud of
Games Owned: 184
I won't be buying one of these for quite some time I guess... Oh well, no big loss.
Symytry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:23 AM   #13
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Quote:
• Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP)
• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)
• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP)
• Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP)
• Play and Charge Kit ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Rechargeable Battery Pack ($11.99, 14.99 Euros, 9.99 GBP)
• Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP)
• Headset ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Universal Media Remote ($29.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• S-Video AV Cable (US) ($29.99)
• SCART AV Cable (Europe) (24.99 Euros, 17.99 GBP)
• VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
This whole section made me LOL. Xbox people complained about Sony memory cards, but they were never $40. $50 controllers which DON'T include the Play and Charge Kit when everyone knows that they should. $30 for a remote?

Talk about price gouging. And that's above and beyond the HD-less system.
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:32 AM   #14
Rubikon

Rubikon is a jewel in the roughRubikon is a jewel in the roughRubikon is a jewel in the roughRubikon is a jewel in the roughRubikon is a jewel in the roughRubikon is a jewel in the roughRubikon is a jewel in the roughRubikon is a jewel in the roughRubikon is a jewel in the roughRubikon is a jewel in the roughRubikon is a jewel in the rough
Yeah, count me out too. I can wait for a price drop or two. I really think it's monumentally stupid for MS to segment their base with the hard drive deal and the pricing for the accessories is just ridiculous. Detractors were comparing the 360 to the Dreamcast but right now it's sounding like the Saturn to me.
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:33 AM   #15
Italics

Italics is a jewel in the roughItalics is a jewel in the roughItalics is a jewel in the roughItalics is a jewel in the roughItalics is a jewel in the roughItalics is a jewel in the roughItalics is a jewel in the roughItalics is a jewel in the roughItalics is a jewel in the roughItalics is a jewel in the roughItalics is a jewel in the rough
Games Owned: 19
*SIGH* So much for getting one at launch. I should have known they were blowing smoke up our asses with a decent price at launch. I'm in the same position as DG and Gamblor now. I don't think they realize how many people they just lost that may now consider the PS3 or Revolution.
Italics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:59 AM   #16
DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to all
Games Owned: 71

TheDirtyOne
Send a message via ICQ to DirtySanchez Send a message via AIM to DirtySanchez
I don't get where you guys are coming from with the "splits the market" comments at all. Microsoft has been saying to developers from the start that they need to be designing games that don't require the hard drive, period. They made clear very early that developers shouldn't rely on the hard drive because there would be models without it. Since they're releasing the version that includes the HD first (I'd be surprised to see the core version before Christmas) what they're essentially saying is, "We think everyone should have the HD and those most interested in our product will have it from the word go. However, some may not want to spend that kind of money on hardware so we're going to allow them a way to buy the system that may limit them from backwards compatibility, but shouldn't preclude them from playing any 360 titles."

The scenario, despite a few similarities, plays out much, much differently than what Sony has done with the PS2 HDD attachment, wherein you have an expensive peripheral that is required to play certain games, but that most developers won't support. I suppose if developers ignore MS regarding the HD we may see some splintering of the market, but somehow I don't think I'm going to find myself disappointed that I've had to buy a pricey attachment that won't see any use.

Anyway, while I do think the initial price is a little steep, I think I'm still going to be a launch buyer.

Last edited by DirtySanchez : August 17th, 2005 at 10:01 AM.
DirtySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 10:00 AM   #17
bitWise

bitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud of
I cannot understand why, when you seem to have so much going your way, you can't deliver. This pricing is just stupid. That bundle sounds like an EB Games rip-off—pay more for all sorts of shit you don't want so you can get the one piece of over priced shit you do want.

Like DG, I don't need a wireless controller, but if you've gone on about them at great length and if the other two (sony, nintendo) are going to deliver wireless how can it not be included in the base model???

What parent, at christmas, is going to buy the $400 model when the $300 is sitting right beside it? Why even bother with a hardrive if you're going to do this.
Old August 17th, 2005, 10:12 AM   #18
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitWise
That bundle sounds like an EB Games rip-off—pay more for all sorts of shit you don't want so you can get the one piece of over priced shit you do want.
And some things that most people WILL want aren't included.

Like a non HD A/V cable set. So you opt for the $400 bundle then you have to shell out $30 for a freaking S-Video cable!?

Oh but EVERYONE according to Microsoft will of course have an HDTV for the Xbox 360...
Old August 17th, 2005, 10:32 AM   #19
Groo the Wanderer

Groo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud of
Games Owned: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Maybe if enough people mail they'll relent and make the damn HD standard.
I'm sure that your highly respected opinion alone will be able to sway them.

Also, with the Sega CD, PS2 hard drive and other add ons, the add on was released late in the console's life. It will be interesting to see if this is going to be any different because the market was split from the start.

So, in my opinion, the Xbox 360 is priced too high. If they really wanted to give people choice, they should have devised an ala-carte system. Instead of giving people two choices, you could give them dozens.

For example, I would be interested in an X360 with a harddrive, component video cable, and wired controller. Now, that would cost me $440 seperately, or $400 for the package. That is way too much.

If the X360 had some games coming out that made it worth $400, this would all be a different story. However, I haven't seen shit that makes it look like the X360 might be worth $400.
Groo the Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #20
Groo the Wanderer

Groo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud of
Games Owned: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
And some things that most people WILL want aren't included.

Like a non HD A/V cable set. So you opt for the $400 bundle then you have to shell out $30 for a freaking S-Video cable!?

Oh but EVERYONE according to Microsoft will of course have an HDTV for the Xbox 360...
Here is a pic of the Xbox 360 HD AV cables:

I'll let you remove your own foot from your mouth.
Groo the Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 11:24 AM   #21
texbumTHElife

texbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 22
Send a message via AIM to texbumTHElife
Strike me from the list of people purchasing it at launch as well. Add me to the list of those who feel they have been lied to or mislead.

I WILL be picking up another PS2 this season instead of a 360.
Old August 17th, 2005, 11:26 AM   #22
Bigg Russ

Bigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 73

Bigg Russ
Send a message via AIM to Bigg Russ Send a message via Yahoo to Bigg Russ
Quote:
Originally Posted by texbumTHElife
I WILL be picking up another PS2 this season instead of a 360.
I won't even be doing that, believe it or not.

That is... if I don't hit the Mega Millions.

EDIT: I meant PS3.

Last edited by Bigg Russ : August 17th, 2005 at 11:30 AM.
Bigg Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 11:31 AM   #23
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 191
Send a message via AIM to bigloser Send a message via MSN to bigloser
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
A 20 gig drive for $100!? Bizarre.

Oh well, there's still the PS3 or Revolution...
No, it's a $100 dollars more for Wireless controller, Wireless Xbox Live headset, High-definition AV cables, Xbox 360 Media Remote, Xbox Live Silver membership, and the 20 gig HDD.

Last edited by bigloser : August 17th, 2005 at 11:45 AM.
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #24
Rubikon

I hope they make it clear to those that buy the $299 version that it will not feature backwards compatibility. J. Allard has already stated that BC will require the hard drive.

I personally feel that the $299 version is a gimmick so that MS can claim they launched under $300. From what I've heard the core package doesn't even have the chrome finish on the disc drive. I feel like they've pulled a bait and switch.

Last edited by Rubikon : August 17th, 2005 at 11:51 AM.
Old August 17th, 2005, 11:54 AM   #25
texbumTHElife

texbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 22
Send a message via AIM to texbumTHElife
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloser
No, it's a $100 dollars more for Wireless controller, Wireless Xbox Live headset, High-definition AV cables, Xbox 360 Media Remote, Xbox Live Silver membership, and the 20 gig HDD.
No, its $100 if you just want to buy the HDD add on is what he is saying. That is highway fucking robbery. I can get over 100GB HDD on some sites online for that much.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: