ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Sony
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sony They've led sales in the last console generation and are working on the next with the PS3. Will that and the PSP keep them moving at the top of the pack? Discuss it here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2005, 05:26 AM   #1
-Tetsuo-

-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 0
Games Wanted: 0
Official Sony PSP thread

Quote:
The PlayStation Portable will be releasing in North America as a PSP Value Pack, including a number of accessories for use with the system. Below is a run-down of what's inside the PlayStation Portable package:

PlayStation Portable system - The game system hardware, of course.

PSP Battery Pack - Not an extra pack, but rather the 1800mAh lithium ion battery used to run the system. The battery carries a small residual charge out of the box, although it is advised that you charge it completely before putting too much use into the Battery Pack.

AC Adapter & Power Cord - The cord plugs into the adapter, and the adapter plugs into the PSP. You can use the adapter to charge the battery and also play games on AC power.

Headphones - The same as the Japanese system Value Pack, these high-quality earbuds (as far as earbuds go -- some may still want to plug in their own headphones) plug into the remote control.
Remote Control - This iPod-style remote dongle can be used to control music and movies. It plugs into the PSP's headphone and remote slot, and has a 1/8" plug for headphones (either the PSP ones or your own) to pug into. A clip on the back snaps onto your clothes for easy access to your PSP multimedia while it's in your pocket. Buttons on the remote include Play/Pause, Skip Left/Right, Volume Up/Down, and a Hold switch to lock up the controls from accidental bumping.

32MB Memory Stick Duo - Not the more powerful PRO Duo type, but still plenty powerful for game save storage and video and audio playback. The Memory Stick has MagicGate protection, which has proved problematic for ATRAC3 saving (although the PSP manual says it should be fine with proper ATRAC management software.)

Pouch - A padded soft pouch for holding the system. The pouch is more a sock than an actual carrying case, with an opening on one side to snugly fit the system into the pouch. Heavy padding protect the system for minor bumps and bruises. A PSP logo is emblazoned on the case.

Wrist Strap - A white leather leash to connect to the hook on the end of your PSP. You can use the strap and pouch together -- the pouch is tight enough to keep the PSP if you're dangling it from the strap.

Cleaning Cloth - A small gray microfiber shammy cloth that, while extraneous, does a swell job of cleaning fingerprints off the screen with only a few swipes

Instructional Manual - Something to take to the can with you, but not something for road trips -- this thing is heavy! Almost 400 pages in length (no kidding), the PSP Manual for PSP-1001k systems includes instructions in English, French and Spanish.

Quick Reference Guide - A much smaller and handier walkthrough to setting up the PSP and getting into the game. Just 16 pages for a nice, quick read.

PlayStation Underground Flier - An advertisement for SCEA's enthusiast service. Sign up at the site, and you can get a free issue of the Official US PlayStation Magazine (OPM) -- no word on if you'll get any bonuses or if we will be seeing UMD demos in OPM, but still, probably a smart idea to send in.

Technical Support Flier - A small yellow sheet on getting help with your PlayStation systems.
ESRB Flier - Learn how to buy games that won't offend your delicate sensibilities.

Sampler Disc for PSP: Volume 1 - A video-only demo disc of PSP music, movies and games. There's nothing playable, but you can get a first-hand look at some games on your radar, and get a look at the quality of UMD video. For a rundown of the game and multimedia titles on the US UMD Demo, follow the link for a full list.

Spider-Man 2 UMD Video - The full blockbuster film, given away free with the first million PSP hardware systems sold. The movie is processed slightly for the PSP screen (the film was shot for Scope theaters instead of standard Widescreen, so there is a slight bit of reformatting to get it to fill the full PSP screen), but only purists will ever notice.

Cardboard Stuffing & Plastic Wrappers - Don't choke.
Completely wireless, and im talkin worldwide online. Play someone across the globe from pretty much anywhere up to 16 players. Also has partial game downloading, just in case ur friend visiting london wants to try his new game out online and u dont have it. Firmware ugrades are being worked on currently preparing web browsing, mail clients and voice chat. It has an infastructure mode, letting u connect anywhere u can get a signal...
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #2
MiaBran

MiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 44
Send a message via AIM to MiaBran Send a message via MSN to MiaBran Send a message via Yahoo to MiaBran
Will be trying to buy it from work day of.... wish me luck

Persistence is having the same goal over and over.
MiaBran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #3
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 95
Is this Value Pack the main option, and that's all for that 250 dollar price tag (I believe that was what they said it'd cost). Or is this a more expensive bundle? If not that's cool you get the AC adapter , headphones, battery, and everything else, out of the box.
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:02 AM   #4
Mr. Smurf
Banned

Mr. Smurf is infamous around these partsMr. Smurf is infamous around these partsMr. Smurf is infamous around these partsMr. Smurf is infamous around these partsMr. Smurf is infamous around these partsMr. Smurf is infamous around these partsMr. Smurf is infamous around these partsMr. Smurf is infamous around these partsMr. Smurf is infamous around these partsMr. Smurf is infamous around these partsMr. Smurf is infamous around these parts

I would hope that the AC adaptor and battery came with the unit.
Mr. Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:19 AM   #5
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Well there's been plenty of handhelds that haven't. The Game Boy Advance SP is probably the first to do so. The original Game Boy, the Game Gear, the Game Boy Color, and the Game Boy Advance never did. I'm not sure about the Lynx, Turbo Graphic Express, and the Nintendo DS. Either way they all forced you to pay extra money to purchase an AC adapter.
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:24 AM   #6
Null

Null is a glorious beacon of lightNull is a glorious beacon of lightNull is a glorious beacon of lightNull is a glorious beacon of lightNull is a glorious beacon of lightNull is a glorious beacon of lightNull is a glorious beacon of lightNull is a glorious beacon of lightNull is a glorious beacon of lightNull is a glorious beacon of lightNull is a glorious beacon of light

Live!: nullifiedone

I'm really quite interested in seeing what they come up with for making the PSP able to run emulators. which given it uses a memory card, im sure will start to happen rather quickly.
but whats most interesting, is it has the potential to be able to play, old arcade games, sega, NES, Genesis, SNES, gamegear, GB, GBC, and GBA games. then taken that the PSP is online capable, it would be possible to play any of thoes games online with other people. I'd have to say out of everything PSP is, this is what interests me the most.
Null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #7
Rico Suave

Rico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud of

Live!: Karma Slave

Games Owned: 135
Send a message via AIM to Rico Suave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome
Is this Value Pack the main option, and that's all for that 250 dollar price tag (I believe that was what they said it'd cost). Or is this a more expensive bundle? If not that's cool you get the AC adapter , headphones, battery, and everything else, out of the box.
The AC adaptor and battery come in the standard pack (which is what I imported for $200)
Old March 18th, 2005, 12:49 AM   #8
-Tetsuo-

-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
9 Presentation
Namco put together another classy effort, with stylish menus, a CG intro starring the lovely Reiko Nagase, keen extras like the AV replay player, and even a little '80s arcade mini-game.

9.5 Graphics
If you are wondering how in the world GT4 might be possible on a portable, take a look here -- the effects, car models, color depth and framerate all represent a machine with incredible power.

9.0 Sound
An incredible wealth of Ridge Racer tunes, with detailed sound effects that surround your earbuds if you turn down the music.

9.0 Gameplay
Controls that snap to your every decision, and a new gameplay mechanic that makes the fun of drifting even more rewarding.

7.5 Lasting Appeal
Namco didn't put its usual lavishness into the feature set, but with eight player wireless racing and so many indelible courses, it's a game you will keep coming back to every now and again forever.

9.1 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average
Review for Ridge Racer
Old March 18th, 2005, 03:25 AM   #9
Rico Suave

Rico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud of

It was the only game worth importing, IMO.
Old March 18th, 2005, 06:28 AM   #10
-Tetsuo-

Old March 18th, 2005, 09:39 AM   #11
Jerome

Man... it's a shame I have only so much money to go around and I'm trying to scrape up enough cash for a new PC, and then of course the next Xbox console.

This amazon.com ad is driving me crazy though. I had to highlight these posts to read them today, because that ad was forcing the post text to be black... against the normal black background!
Old March 18th, 2005, 01:24 PM   #12
MiaBran

MiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to MiaBran Send a message via MSN to MiaBran Send a message via Yahoo to MiaBran
I just wish I knew how many people were gonna be there on the day it is released. I'll prolly just go up there at 7 or something and sit inside work until I see people lining up. Grab it and head off to my 9 o'clock class . I just wish that the thumb and d-pad switched places.

Old March 18th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #13
Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaBran
I just wish I knew how many people were gonna be there on the day it is released. I'll prolly just go up there at 7 or something and sit inside work until I see people lining up. Grab it and head off to my 9 o'clock class . I just wish that the thumb and d-pad switched places.
The thumb pad sucks anywayz.
Old March 18th, 2005, 01:53 PM   #14
MiaBran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Suave
The thumb pad sucks anywayz.
bad enough there aren't two sticks.... but for the one stick to suck!? the hell? Man.... the first game I'm gonna grabe is GT4, and you're telling me that the thumb pad sucks?!

holy fuck.... it doesn't come out till 9/1. I guess I'll wait on the psp

Last edited by MiaBran : March 18th, 2005 at 01:57 PM.
Old March 18th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #15
Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaBran
bad enough there aren't two sticks.... but for the one stick to suck!? the hell? Man.... the first game I'm gonna grabe is GT4, and you're telling me that the thumb pad sucks?!
It's not like the traditional thumb-stick. The fact that you have to "slide" it around actually makes it much harder to control.
Old March 18th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #16
Null

Null is a glorious beacon of lightNull is a glorious beacon of lightNull is a glorious beacon of lightNull is a glorious beacon of lightNull is a glorious beacon of lightNull is a glorious beacon of lightNull is a glorious beacon of lightNull is a glorious beacon of lightNull is a glorious beacon of lightNull is a glorious beacon of lightNull is a glorious beacon of light

actually its its not that hard. of course its not as good as one on a controller or something but i'd much rather use that on certain games then just a dpad.
Old March 18th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #17
Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Null
actually its its not that hard. of course its not as good as one on a controller or something but i'd much rather use that on certain games then just a dpad.
The thumb pad sucks ass for Ridge Racers
Old March 18th, 2005, 04:25 PM   #18
Null

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Suave
The thumb pad sucks ass for Ridge Racers
its quite a bit sensitive on ridge racer i agree. i think more and more games are going to be better and better with the thumb pad tho as they continue to learn how to program games for it better.
Old March 18th, 2005, 06:09 PM   #19
-Tetsuo-

if ur having that much trouble, just plug up a usb controller nad ur good to go
Old March 18th, 2005, 07:34 PM   #20
Bigg Russ

Bigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Bigg Russ

Games Owned: 73
Send a message via AIM to Bigg Russ Send a message via Yahoo to Bigg Russ
Who made THIS thread official w/o my permission?!

Anyway,
Quote:
Attention PlayStation® Underground™ members!

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT AMERICA AND CARSON DALY INVITE YOU TO AN EXCLUSIVE COUNTDOWN EVENT AND MIDNIGHT SALE FOR PSP™ (PLAYSTATION® PORTABLE)

Be among the first to purchase the highly anticipated PSP™ (PlayStation® Portable) handheld entertainment system. Carson Daly will host the launch event and countdown on March 23 at the Sony Style store in Manhattan. The event will feature special guests, giveaways and more!

WHEN:
Wednesday, March 23, 2005
Doors open at 9:00 p.m.

WHERE:
Sony Style
550 Madison Avenue (at 55th)

The PSP Value Pack and selected PSP software will be available for purchase starting at 12:01 a.m., on a first-come, first-served basis. Limit one (1) PSP Value Pack and one (1) of each PSP software title per customer, per purchase (while supplies last).

Quantities are limited and only available for purchase to the first 500 people.

Remember, this is an exclusive event with limited merchandise-so plan to arrive early. Space is limited and not guaranteed.

Call (212) 439-4399 or email [email protected]

It's the hottest electronic device of the year-be one of the first to own it before it sells out!

See you there!

Sincerely,

The PlayStation Underground
I won't be there.
Bigg Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2005, 07:46 PM   #21
-Tetsuo-

Quote:
9.0 Presentation
Wonderful menus, beautiful box art, and unlockable image galleries help shape a beautiful package. If only the game auto-loaded player profiles and had a better online lobby, it would be perfect.

9.5 Graphics
From it's wonderful course design and trackside detail, to its stylish ships and weapon effects, this game is beautiful. Minor framerate issues arise occasionally keeping it from perfection.

9.5 Sound
You won't find better licensed electronic soundtrack out there, and effects are crisp, bassy, and wonderful. The PSP brings a new high to handheld gaming.

9.0 Gameplay
Pure is one of the finest playing games in the series. There are plenty of modes to choose from. Tournament play could be more forgiving, and the difficulty can be high, but it's fulfilling.

9.0 Lasting Appeal
Wi-Fi multiplayer is wonderful, aside from lobbying issues and there's plenty of single-player content to enjoy. Downloadable content is promising, indeed.

9.3 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)
Wipeout pure review. I know I love me some wipeout.
Old March 20th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #22
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
i'm getting twisted metal, i think and that's it.

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #23
hiro

hiro has a reputation beyond reputehiro has a reputation beyond reputehiro has a reputation beyond reputehiro has a reputation beyond reputehiro has a reputation beyond reputehiro has a reputation beyond reputehiro has a reputation beyond reputehiro has a reputation beyond reputehiro has a reputation beyond reputehiro has a reputation beyond reputehiro has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: hirolive

how does the wireless for this work? do you have to subscribe to some isp and have your own wireless set-up at home, or can you just connect anywhere outside if someone has the wireless in place with no isp to pay for?
Old March 20th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #24
SPIDERone

SPIDERone has a spectacular aura aboutSPIDERone has a spectacular aura aboutSPIDERone has a spectacular aura aboutSPIDERone has a spectacular aura aboutSPIDERone has a spectacular aura aboutSPIDERone has a spectacular aura aboutSPIDERone has a spectacular aura aboutSPIDERone has a spectacular aura aboutSPIDERone has a spectacular aura aboutSPIDERone has a spectacular aura aboutSPIDERone has a spectacular aura about

Games Owned: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiro
how does the wireless for this work? do you have to subscribe to some isp and have your own wireless set-up at home, or can you just connect anywhere outside if someone has the wireless in place with no isp to pay for?
Anywhere outside.

I bought a wireless router for $15 from frys and it works great with the PSP, I've been playing twisted metal online the past few days.

Wipeout's awesome.
SPIDERone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #25
-Tetsuo-

Found out that a program like xbox connect is already out apparently, so even if the game is just wireless lan, u can STILL play it online.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: