ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Sony
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sony They've led sales in the last console generation and are working on the next with the PS3. Will that and the PSP keep them moving at the top of the pack? Discuss it here.

Old November 6th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #1
Symytry

Symytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 184
Games Wanted: 0
Reviews!

JAK 3

Quote:
I thought about writing more. I thought about detailing all the different gameplay modes and enemies and bosses and weapons. I thought about trying to convince you of how good and ultimately satisfying the story is. I thought about belittling the last Jak a bit to drive home my insistence that this one is infinitely superior. I thought about a lot of things, but mainly I'm thinking about Jak 3.
Don't be mad about the lack of pages and geeky information in this review. I'm doing you a favor. If I detailed all that I had wanted to, I'd be giving away too much. The surprise that comes from being hit by the different gameplay types and storyline twists should not be spoiled for anyone.

If you need more reassurance, just think about this: I get paid to review games for a living and I have access to just about every game out there. And now, after I've beaten Jak 3, all I can think about is going home and beating Jak 3.

-- Ivan Sulic

9.5 Presentation
No loading is the coolest gaming feature ever devised and the secrets are definitely worth unlocking. Jak 3 also has the sweetest sewer level videogaming has ever seen.

10 Graphics
As good as it gets. Most other games utterly suck in comparison even if they happen to look "good."

8.5 Sound
Perfectly appropriate voices, as was expected, but the music sometimes wavers. Generally outstanding, nonetheless.

9.5 Gameplay
Challenging but not frustrating, Jak 3 is a brilliant action / platformer with a huge variety of play types.

7.5 Lasting Appeal
You'll definitely beat the game twice, but the secrets aren't enough to keep the PS2 working for more than a week or two.

9.6 OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)
Hmm...coming out November 9th? This will have to wait until next year.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Quote:
Closing Comments
What really keeps Stand Alone Complex together is that it does an amazing job of presenting a game that follows the look of the source material. The biggest drawback is that the feel of the same Ghost in the Shell movie is lacking in that much of the action is very similar and straightforward with a minimal nod to the hacking and computer work. Fans of the movie will be happy to get another look into the same world since the plot fleshes out the universe a little further and action fans should be satisfied, but the game could have still been a lot more and that's the most disappointing aspect.
What is here is a well-done action game that has a distinct style and some strong graphics. The sound design is also nicely in place and it adds up to a good looking game. It's just that the overall experience comes up short and only gives a tease of giving players more of an active role in the story itself.

-- Ed Lewis

8.0 Presentation
The feeling of Ghost in the Shell is truly here, but all the dialogue during the game itself can get a bit awkward.

8.5 Graphics
Smooth visuals that do an excellent job of bringing the anime look to a game.

7.5 Sound
Solid sound effects and a soundtrack that is haunting yet can overstay its welcome.

7.0 Gameplay
A solid, if somewhat uninspired, action game that is a good ride for the five hours it lasts.

6.5 Lasting Appeal
The multiplayer is very unbalanced, but with the very tricky harder difficulties this can provide an extra challenge for the completists.

7.0 OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average
Sounds like a next year mid-summer bargain bin title at the VERY best.

Rachet and Clank 3

Quote:
Closing Comments
Of course the most common debate among PlayStation 2 gamers these days is "Which is better, Ratchet 3 or Jak 3?" And while I'll leave that debate up to each individual player once both games have been released, I can safely say that Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal is easily the single best effort in that entire series of titles so far. Granted, it would have been a close race if not for the inclusion of Ratchet's online mode, but once that feature has been considered it's all over -- the sheer amount of fun you'll have when playing against seven other people in the ten different maps and various gameplay modes here is almost immeasurable -- it's that damn good.
But what impresses me most about Up Your Arsenal is the fact that the single-player adventure didn't suffer in the least. It's just as entertaining, interesting, and fun as the online segment. What's more, is that Ratchet 3 can be picked up and played by just about anyone and be enjoyed equally; offering a viable Christmas alternative for people that are apprehensive about the curse-ridden violent opus that is Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. It's only real detriment is the fact that it's a bit on the easy side (easier than Going Commando), but that's really about it. The rest is all gravy, and an unabashed must-own for every PS2 gamer with a pulse. Enjoy!

-- Jeremy Dunham

9.0 Presentation
The brand new interface and cleverly hidden load times supplement and fully realized intergalactic world. Up Your Arsenal's storyline is pretty damn funny too.

9.5 Graphics
Ratchet boasts some seriously wicked graphics technology each and every year, and Up Your Arsenal is no different. There's no slowdown, plenty of objects onscreen, and tons of special effects.

9.0 Sound
Up Your Arsenal's soundtrack is top-notch (though a little less impressive than last year's) and is supported rather well by a terrific vocal cast and powerful audio effects.

10 Gameplay
The all-new control schemes feel fantastic and the tightened physics are phenomenal. Level design may still be linear but it's fun as hell and the online mode kicks ass.

9.5 Lasting Appeal
Though limited to ten maps, the online mode is the best PS2 Internet option since SOCOM with a ton of cool stats that can be tracked. The single-player game is addictive and will last 20+ hours.

9.6 OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)
Whoa, yet another 9.6 rating. Hmm...I should probably play R&C2 first, which remains on the shelf. I'll pic this up in January and then play both sometime later on PS3.

Publishers are just killing us this year with all these great games!
Symytry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2004, 05:20 PM   #2
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
EGM scores:

Games that matter in bold.

Need for Speed Underground 2: 8.0 9.0 8.0
Alien Hominid: 8.0 8.5 7.0
X-Men Legends: 7.5 7.0 8.0
Viewtiful Joe 2: 8.0 8.0 8.5
The Bard's Tale: 6.5 6.0 9.0
Fight Club: 2.5 3.0 2.0
Lord of the Rings: The Third Age: 7.0 7.0 5.0
Godzilla: Save the Earth: 6.0 4.5 5.5
Bloodrayne 2: 7.5 7.5 4.0
The Urbz: Sims in the City: 7.5 5.0 7.0
Ape Escape: Pumped & Primed: 5.5 6.5 5.5
Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War: 8.0 8.0 8.0
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater: 9.0 9.5 10

Kuon: 6.5 4.0 5.5
Capcom Fighting Evolution: 4.0 5.5 5.0
Jak 3: 8.0 8.0 8.5
Neo Contra: 8.0 7.0 7.0
Eyetoy: Antigrav: 8.5 6.0 7.0
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas: 10 10 10 GOTM (tie w/ Halo2)
WWE Smackdown! vs. RAW: 7.5 8.5 7.0
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal: 9.0 9.0 10
Killzone: 7.5 8.0 7.0
Growlanser: Generations: 7.0 7.0 8.0
Old November 6th, 2004, 07:02 PM   #3
-Tetsuo-

-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 0
Jak 3 is most def gettin got.
Old November 6th, 2004, 10:17 PM   #4
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 267
Send a message via AIM to mountpanic Send a message via Yahoo to mountpanic
On the one hand it pisses me off that they drop it all on us at the end of the year and good games get trampled, but on the other hand, it give me $20 games to pick away at for the next year.

There is no one you couldn't love once you've heard their story.
Mary Lou Kownacki (via Fred Rogers)

Enjoy the CC Free Games Archive
mountpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 12:05 AM   #5
SPIDERone

SPIDERone has a spectacular aura aboutSPIDERone has a spectacular aura aboutSPIDERone has a spectacular aura aboutSPIDERone has a spectacular aura aboutSPIDERone has a spectacular aura aboutSPIDERone has a spectacular aura aboutSPIDERone has a spectacular aura aboutSPIDERone has a spectacular aura aboutSPIDERone has a spectacular aura aboutSPIDERone has a spectacular aura aboutSPIDERone has a spectacular aura about

Games Owned: 63
Supposedly from the EGM Review of MGS3:
Quote:
- Mark says it has the biggest environments in any console game so far. This is especially surprising considering San Andreas was reviewed in the same issue.

- The boss fights top Fox Hounds (MGS1's team).

- There's one boss in particular that will go down as one of the greatest boss fights ever.

- Plot twists actually make sense.

- Longest MG title so far. Clocking in with atleast a 25hour gameplay time.

- Raises the bar for stealth gaming.

- As was pointed out in the EGM thread the codec sequences have been cut back big time.
SPIDERone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 12:30 AM   #6
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 191
Send a message via AIM to bigloser Send a message via MSN to bigloser
Hmm... I didn't enjoy the MGS3 demo whatsoever.
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 01:45 AM   #7
Groo the Wanderer

Groo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloser
Hmm... I didn't enjoy the MGS3 demo whatsoever.
Me neither. The demo fucking sucked. But I'm willing to give the game a shot, just because MGS1 was so good.
Groo the Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 02:38 AM   #8
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
I rule because I have this issue of EGM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIDERone
Supposedly from the EGM Review of MGS3:
All that crap is indeed in the review, more or less.

Except the part about raising the bar for stealth gameplay. The reviewer says, "no other game has ever come close to matching MGS2's spot-on stealth action (sorry, Splinter Cell, but no), but MGS3 manages to improve the basic mechanics."
Old November 8th, 2004, 12:04 AM   #9
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
Red face Kuon: 6.5 4.0 5.5

Yikes!....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: