ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Sony
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sony They've led sales in the last console generation and are working on the next with the PS3. Will that and the PSP keep them moving at the top of the pack? Discuss it here.

Old November 1st, 2004, 04:15 PM   #1
ChUbRoCk

ChUbRoCk is an unknown quantity at this point

Live!: D 3 A 0 D 5 E

Games Owned: 8
Games Wanted: 3
Send a message via AIM to ChUbRoCk
Thinkin about getting a PS2............

Now that GTA:SA is out, I can't hold back any longer. It's really the only motivation I have to get a PS2. But I don't want to buy one for just one game. Are there any good games coming out in the near future for this system? I've played most of the old ones, so I won't be buying those. I want to know what games are going to be good on this system.

I'm mainly interested in FPS, RPGs in some cases, Action & Adventure, and sometimes fighters.
Old November 1st, 2004, 04:25 PM   #2
Omi-san

Omi-san has a reputation beyond reputeOmi-san has a reputation beyond reputeOmi-san has a reputation beyond reputeOmi-san has a reputation beyond reputeOmi-san has a reputation beyond reputeOmi-san has a reputation beyond reputeOmi-san has a reputation beyond reputeOmi-san has a reputation beyond reputeOmi-san has a reputation beyond reputeOmi-san has a reputation beyond reputeOmi-san has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 0
Games Wanted: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChUbRoCk
Now that GTA:SA is out, I can't hold back any longer. It's really the only motivation I have to get a PS2. But I don't want to buy one for just one game. Are there any good games coming out in the near future for this system? I've played most of the old ones, so I won't be buying those. I want to know what games are going to be good on this system.

I'm mainly interested in FPS, RPGs in some cases, Action & Adventure, and sometimes fighters.
You should buy FFX if you are into RPGs. It's the best Final Fantasy game ever made.
Omi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2004, 03:20 AM   #3
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 267
Send a message via AIM to mountpanic Send a message via Yahoo to mountpanic
Wise choice. I really think the PS2 still has the premiere collection of this gen.

Forthcoming (or recent):
Ace Combat 5
MGS 3
Gran Turismo 4
Rez reissue
Ratchet & Clank: UYA
Jak 3
Killzone
Alien Hominid
Kingdom Hearts 2
Full Metal Alchemist
Taiko Drum Master
The Bard's Tale
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
Sly 2
Katamari Damacy
...and MORE!

There is no one you couldn't love once you've heard their story.
Mary Lou Kownacki (via Fred Rogers)

Enjoy the CC Free Games Archive
mountpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2004, 05:42 AM   #4
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: MarsupialJones

Games Owned: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omi-san
You should buy FFX if you are into RPGs. It's the best Final Fantasy game ever made.

that reminds me, I should really finish that game.

BTW, FFV is the best Final Fantasy game.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:47 AM   #5
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by speKtor
BTW, FFV is the best Final Fantasy game.
FFV had a terrible story.

FFVI and FFVII are the best in the series.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 12:25 PM   #6
Symytry

Symytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChUbRoCk
I'm mainly interested in FPS
there's not too many of those on this mainly japanese game system. And what there is usually has terrible control.
Symytry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:50 PM   #7
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn

story shmory. Every story in FF is pretty much the same anyway.

The job system kicked ass.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 06:07 PM   #8
Korr

Korr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of light

Live!: Korranator

Games Owned: 197
For RPGs try to find or get Breath of Fire: Dragon Quater, Disgaea, or SMT Nocturne. With each game you will get a unique experience, storylines that are not cliched, and actual replay value that are unlike all the cookie cutter FF games and their various clones.

Quote:

One of the few times we agree.

---------------------------------------------------

President Barack Obama - said his $787 billion stimulus bill “has worked as intended”
Korr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 08:52 AM   #9
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 267
Send a message via AIM to mountpanic Send a message via Yahoo to mountpanic
There are a lot of shooters coming. I'm just not sure which of them will be represented on other systems, or what Chub even has.

Killzone
Goldeneye: Rogue Agent
Pariah
Call of Duty: Finest Hour
Darkwatch
Ghost Recon 2 (this is a completely different version than the Xbox is getting)
Cold Winter
Area 51
Project: Snowblind
Brothers in Arms

Also: Ratchet & Clank: UYA can allegedly be played entirely as a FPS.

There is no one you couldn't love once you've heard their story.
Mary Lou Kownacki (via Fred Rogers)

Enjoy the CC Free Games Archive
mountpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 09:31 PM   #10
CAPninja

CAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really nice

Live!: King Barf

GTA:SA is totally not a system buyer game. Find a friend that has it first and play it. I personally dont like it all that much. Getting ready to trade it in.
CAPninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 01:49 AM   #11
speKtor

well, if you liked the previous GTA games, you will love GTA:SA.

I personally dont think any one game is worth buying a system though.
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:28 AM   #12
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
I can think of several, depending on the cost of the system.
Old November 4th, 2004, 12:58 PM   #13
CAPninja

CAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really nice

Live!: King Barf

Quote:

I personally dont think any one game is worth buying a system though.

No. But they can be a strong motivator. And I dont think GTA:SA should be it. But to each his own.
CAPninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 12:19 AM   #14
terrygen03

terrygen03 is an unknown quantity at this point

You should try to get the new tiny ps2. I'm waiting for them to show up locally to replace my old PS2 and give it to my little sister. There are way to many games to recommend. Check out some reviews.
terrygen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 01:24 AM   #15
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I'm crazy, but my PSTwo is having lots of problems. The video cut out playing a game today, it messed up my Twisted Metal Black save yesterday. Wonky shit. I'm thinking I'm going to call up Sony while I still have the 90 day warranty.
Old November 17th, 2004, 01:43 AM   #16
speKtor

I havent looked into these PStwos at all, what is different/better about them? Is it just the size or is there more?
Old November 17th, 2004, 09:28 AM   #17
Pahn

Just the size. It's got a built in network adaptor/modem, but doesn't support the hard drive. It's top loading too, which I think is cool.

But read my previous post.
Old November 17th, 2004, 02:49 PM   #18
Morpheus

Morpheus is on a distinguished roadMorpheus is on a distinguished road

Games Owned: 41
Quote:
I'm thinking I'm going to call up Sony while I still have the 90 day warranty.
I read somewhere the new model comes with a one year warranty. So was that just BS?
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 03:03 PM   #19
texbumTHElife

texbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 22
Send a message via AIM to texbumTHElife
Quote:
Maybe I'm crazy, but my PSTwo is having lots of problems. The video cut out playing a game today, it messed up my Twisted Metal Black save yesterday. Wonky shit. I'm thinking I'm going to call up Sony while I still have the 90 day warranty.

I had a problem with mine to thought I think it was due to heat. I was playing GTA: SA and it started to rain really hard and did that shit where the screen get that dark foggy haze over it. Well it stopped raining but that dark foggy haze never went away. Then eventualy the dark haze turned into a green haze and made it so i could not see anything at night. Luckily all it took was movinbg my PStwo to a better ventilated area and letting it cool off for a day and it was back to normal. Really pissed me off for a while though.
Old November 17th, 2004, 03:12 PM   #20
Pahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
I read somewhere the new model comes with a one year warranty. So was that just BS?
Wow, you're right. I just checked. Score!

I'd like to see this become standard with consoles.
Old November 18th, 2004, 10:30 AM   #21
Swirlie

Swirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enough

Live!: N0REGARD4L1FE

Games Owned: 16
I've heard alot of shit about the new PSTwos. DREs, overheating problems, won't read games at all......does this new one have a fan or is it like the old PSX? I'm wanting to trade in my PS2 for one, but mine works great and I don't wanna get one of the buggy ass PSTwos. Fuck, I don't play my current PS2.
Old November 18th, 2004, 10:40 AM   #22
Bigg Russ

Bigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Bigg Russ

Games Owned: 73
Send a message via AIM to Bigg Russ Send a message via Yahoo to Bigg Russ
Quote:
story shmory. Every story in FF is pretty much the same anyway.

Really? I'd like to see you back that bullshit up.
Bigg Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #23
Morpheus

Morpheus is on a distinguished roadMorpheus is on a distinguished road

Games Owned: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirlie
I've heard alot of shit about the new PSTwos. DREs, overheating problems, won't read games at all......does this new one have a fan or is it like the old PSX? I'm wanting to trade in my PS2 for one, but mine works great and I don't wanna get one of the buggy ass PSTwos. Fuck, I don't play my current PS2.
Yes, it has a CPU fan. I believe they switched to an external power supply like the N64.

I decided not to get a new model right now since my current PS2 works fine and I've heard the PStwo has some compatibility problems with certain PS1 games such as Final Fantasy Anthology. I'll probably wait and get one down the road whenever the price drops to $99.
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 02:08 PM   #24
PhanTuhC
Staff Member

PhanTuhC can only hope to improvePhanTuhC can only hope to improvePhanTuhC can only hope to improvePhanTuhC can only hope to improvePhanTuhC can only hope to improve

Live!: The Hibachi

Games Owned: 4
Send a message via AIM to PhanTuhC
My PSTwo works fine.
Old November 18th, 2004, 02:13 PM   #25
Bigg Russ

Bigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Bigg Russ

Games Owned: 73
Send a message via AIM to Bigg Russ Send a message via Yahoo to Bigg Russ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
I've heard the PStwo has some compatibility problems with certain PS1 games such as Final Fantasy Anthology.

HITH can they be having compatibility problems at this stage of the game?! Haven't they worked that shit out by now?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: