ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Nintendo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nintendo Changed so Game Rogue will enter

Old June 15th, 2004, 08:38 PM   #1
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
Post List your current Game Boy Advance colletion

A few weeks ago I received an onyx (black) GBA to match my onyx Gamecube console, bundled with "Donkey Kong Country", and it's honestly the first handheld to really win me over. I've bought a shitload of peripherals (in matching black of COURSE) and goofy extras for it and have been stocking up on cheap games.

So far I have:
  1. denki BLOCKS!
  2. Donkey Kong Country
  3. Lady Sia
  4. Namco Museum
  5. Phantasy Star Collection
  6. Robotech: The Macross Saga
  7. SEGA Arcade Gallery
  8. Super Drop Zone

The retro arcade game collection carts are fun little distractions, but they all have one major flaw. These are games that are basically score based, but they don't SAVE YOUR SCORES. You lose them every time you turn your GBA off which is a SERIOUS drag IMO. I hope that remedy that shit in the future.

It only motivates to me to get a Flash media card and emulate my classic faves – not that it runs M.A.M.E..

Bullshit GBA game impressions: "Super Drop Zone", "Lady Sia", and again, "Donkey Kong Country", came with the system. "Lady Sia" is a pretty decent platform hack 'n slash, and Super Drop Zone is a mediocre/shitty Defender clone that isn't worth the $13.99 my Mother-in-Law paid for it. DKCountry is pretty much the same as the SNES version, with a few minor (and pointless) additions.

The "Phantasy Star Collection" is an absolute must for any (real, not that on-line bullshit) "Phantasy Star" fan who owns a GBA. However, the SEGA Arcade Gallery was something of a disappointment.

I'm probably the biggest "Space Harrier" and "Out Run" of all time, and love "After Burner" quite a bit as well, however SEGA and THQ have make some unforgivable mistakes porting these games to the GBA handheld. "After Burner" is completely unplayable as I have yet to find a way to switch speeds and do barrel rolls, plus it looks like absolute shit. Space Harrier is the biggest disappointment as they've sped up the games enemy and projectile animations and changed some of the bosses and boss music around. They also added this dumb ass "speed boost" feature with the right shoulder button that allows you to zip around the screen. It's garbage.

Sadly, "Super Hang-On" is the truest arcade translation on in the compilation, with "Out Run" taking second place. Only minor notable changes were made to "Out Run". For one, they changed the frame rate from 30 FPS to an unusually smooth 60 FPS (something that was a "feature" in the Saturn "AGES" version), they removed a few roadside obstacle from certain courses, gave passed cars the ability to re-enter play field from behind you if you slow down immediately after passing them. They also shortened the final run auto sequence, and made slight changes the ending animations. Lastly, have to press a button to advance from the map screen to the name entry screen after your game is over -- though I'm positive I'm the only person other than Yu Suzuki who noticed that.

Namco Museum equals: "Mrs. Pac-man", "DigDug", "Pole Position", "Galaga" and "Galaxian". "Mrs. Pac-Man" gives you an option of playing in (tiny) full screen, or with a scrolling "Jr. Pac-man" style play field.

"Robotech: The Macross Saga" is a pretty mediocre old school shooter, but I had to get it because it was just $9.99, and I'm just as huge a Robotech/Macross fan as I am a Space Harrier/Out Run fan. "denki BLOCKS!" is an excellent puzzle game that I was lucky enough to cop for $9.99 as well.

Last edited by Aeon Storm : June 15th, 2004 at 08:43 PM.
Aeon Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2004, 08:43 PM   #2
PantherX20

PantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the rough

Live!: Evidence786

Games Owned: -5
Games Wanted: 0
Thumbs down My GBA Collection

Mine
Final Fight One

Brother's
Final Fantasy Tactics
Mario Kart Advance
Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World

Borrowed
Metroid Fusion

Traded In
Super Dodgeball
Macross

Accessories
1 GBA (Glacier)
1 GBA SP (Purple)
1 GBA-GC Connector (Purple)
1 Adapter
PantherX20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2004, 09:20 PM   #3
Symytry

Symytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 184
Fire Emblem
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis
Breath of Fire
Breath of FIre II
Advance Wars
Advance Wars II
Shining Soul II
Shining Force
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Zero Mission
Zelda: Link to the Past
Sword of Mana
Golden Sun
Goden Sun: The Lost Age
Lunar Legend
PacMan Compilation

I'm sure that I've forgotten a few in there somewhere...
Symytry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2004, 09:41 PM   #4
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Exclamation I'm gonna be broke this summer.

Man, I started making a list and realized there's a TON of games I want for the GBA.
  1. Pokemon Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire
  2. The Pinball of the Dead
  3. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  4. Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
  5. Final Fantasy Tactics
  6. Onimusha Tactics
  7. Advance Wars
  8. Advance Wars 2
  9. Breath of Fire
  10. Breath of Fire II
  11. Golden Sun
  12. Golden Sun: The Lost Age
  13. Sword of Mana
  14. Metroid Fuzion
  15. Metroid Zero Mission
  16. Lunar: Legend
  17. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
  18. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
  19. Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
  20. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  21. The Legend of Zelda - NES Classic
  22. Excite Bike - NES Classic
  23. Super Mario Bros - NES Classic
  24. Super Mario Advance (Super Mario Bros 2 and Mario Bros)
  25. Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World
  26. Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
  27. Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
  28. Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
  29. Mario Kart Advance
  30. Final Fight
  31. Tetris Worlds
  32. Zone Of The Enders: The Fist Of Mars
  33. Super Bust-a-Move
  34. Pac-Man Collection
  35. Konami Collector's Series
  36. Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
  37. Gradius Galaxies
  38. R-Type III
  39. Hamtaro: Ham Ham Heartbreak
  40. Mega Man Anniversary collection

Quote:
1 GBA SP (Purple)
Sweet! I didn't realize the SP came in Purple. A friend of mine wanted a purple one for her daughter.

Last edited by Aeon Storm : June 15th, 2004 at 09:44 PM.
Aeon Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2004, 09:44 PM   #5
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
I just ditched 4 of my GBA games to get the Retro SP.

Off the top of my head:
Golden Sun
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Sword of Mana
Advance Wars
Lufia: WTF It's Called
Old June 15th, 2004, 09:50 PM   #6
Aeon Storm

Question Lufia: WTF It's Called

Like RPG's I see.

BTW - Is 'Lufia: The Ruins of Lore" as bad as people say it is? And remind me what games you sacrificed to get the GBA SP Classic.
Old June 15th, 2004, 10:30 PM   #7
Symytry

Symytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon Storm
Man, I started making a list and realized there's a TON of games I want for the GBA.
  1. Pokemon Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire
  2. The Pinball of the Dead
  3. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  4. Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
  5. Final Fantasy Tactics
  6. Onimusha Tactics
  7. Advance Wars
  8. Advance Wars 2
  9. Breath of Fire
  10. Breath of Fire II
  11. Golden Sun
  12. Golden Sun: The Lost Age
  13. Sword of Mana
  14. Metroid Fuzion
  15. Metroid Zero Mission
  16. Lunar: Legend
  17. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
  18. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
  19. Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
  20. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  21. The Legend of Zelda - NES Classic
  22. Excite Bike - NES Classic
  23. Super Mario Bros - NES Classic
  24. Super Mario Advance (Super Mario Bros 2 and Mario Bros)
  25. Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World
  26. Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
  27. Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
  28. Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
  29. Mario Kart Advance
  30. Final Fight
  31. Tetris Worlds
  32. Zone Of The Enders: The Fist Of Mars
  33. Super Bust-a-Move
  34. Pac-Man Collection
  35. Konami Collector's Series
  36. Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
  37. Gradius Galaxies
  38. R-Type III
  39. Hamtaro: Ham Ham Heartbreak
  40. Mega Man Anniversary collection

Sweet! I didn't realize the SP came in Purple. A friend of mine wanted a purple one for her daughter.
Games on that list to stay away from:

R-Type III is complete and utter trash. If you have any respect for old school gaming, forget that this port even exists.
ZOE: Fist of Mars is one incredibly long bad graphics bore-fest. Nothing but repetitive battles and a shitty battle engine at that.

others I recently traded in that weren't worth keeping:

CIMA: The Enenmy (too clunky and unrefined.)
River City Ransom EX (what a waste of money)
Mario and Luigi: SSS (good game, but not worth keeping)
Onimusha Tactics (it was an average SRPG experience, nothing new there though)
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars (good story, boring gameplay, after its over, its over.)

Other than that it looks like you copy/pasted the majority of my list
Old June 15th, 2004, 11:11 PM   #8
Aeon Storm

Unhappy R-Type III is complete and utter trash.

Quote:
R-Type III is complete and utter trash. If you have any respect for old school gaming, forget that this port even exists.
Urgh, no! :O(

Sigh, shit man, thanks for the heads up. Sucks that they didn't release an R-type collection for the GBA. I only want "Onimusha Tactics" because I'm an Onimusha fan. It'll be something of a novelty purchase. "ZOE: Fist of Mars" is official bumpped to the only under $10 list to.
Old June 16th, 2004, 07:30 AM   #9
SpiderJerusalem

SpiderJerusalem is an unknown quantity at this point

Games Owned: 286
Banjo Kazooie: Grunty’s Revenge
Demikids: Dark Version
Jet Grind Radio
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Metroid Fusion
Phantasy Star Collection
Pokemon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire
Pokemon Ruby
Shining Force
Shining Soul
Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Pinball Party
Super Dodge Ball Advance
Wario Ware inc: Mega Microgames
Yu-Gi-Oh! The Eternal Duelist Soul

I need to work on getting a bunch I'm missing..
SpiderJerusalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2004, 08:37 AM   #10
Intruderb

Intruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 420
Games Wanted: 30
Klonoa
Sonic Advance
Pokemon Ruby(or saphire, I forget)
Mario KArt
Tactics Ogre
Golden Sun
Advance Wars
Metroid Fusion
Super Mario World
Rayman
Yugi-oh: Stairway to the Destined Duel
Final Fantasy Tactics
Legend of Zelda(NES Classic)
Karnaaj
Warioland 4
Namco Museum
... first, your dick is going to TOUCH hairy man ass, second your dick is going to PENETRATE hairy man ass, and lastly you're going to have to FUCK hairy man ass until you nut. What if he starts fucking you back? What if the dude starts groaning? Hairy man ass groaning?
Intruderb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2004, 10:18 AM   #11
GuitarGuru

GuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 369
Send a message via AIM to GuitarGuru
I traded in every GBA game once I picked up a flash card. I backed them up first of course.

So technically I have no GBA carts, but I have over 1400 games.
Old June 16th, 2004, 10:31 AM   #12
Symytry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGuru
I traded in every GBA game once I picked up a flash card. I backed them up first of course.

So technically I have no GBA carts, but I have over 1400 games.
so did you trade in 1400 games? If not, you sir should be ashamed of yourself. Just look at what you're teaching your children to do.
Old June 16th, 2004, 10:58 AM   #13
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Like RPG's I see.

BTW - Is 'Lufia: The Ruins of Lore" as bad as people say it is? And remind me what games you sacrificed to get the GBA SP Classic.
I USED to like RPGs. I've more or less abandoned them...it's not that I don't like them, it's just that I HATE the first hour or two of them. Unbearably slow, usually. (I have a hankerin' to play some FFVII though.)

Lufia sucked. IIRC, it was an uninspired dungeon crawler. Either way, I played about an hour and quit. Maybe I'll give it another shot someday. It didn't get traded, but it was next in line, should EB not accept one of my other offerings. I traded: Metroid Fusion, Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, Denki Blocks, and Klonoa: Empire of Dreams.
Old June 16th, 2004, 11:20 AM   #14
GuitarGuru

GuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 369
Send a message via AIM to GuitarGuru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symytry
so did you trade in 1400 games? If not, you sir should be ashamed of yourself. Just look at what you're teaching your children to do.

I had around 30 games that I traded. The 1400+ are dl'ed. My son has no idea BTW. He turns the GBA on and plays whatever games i have loaded into it.

Does it make it right? No. Am I tired of spending 30 bucks for a shot in the dark that it might be a good game? Yes.
Old June 16th, 2004, 12:26 PM   #15
Symytry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGuru
Am I tired of spending 30 bucks for a shot in the dark that it might be a good game? Yes.
It doesn't have to be a shot in the dark... That's what review sites are for, and in general it sounds like you play a lot of games, so your decisions should be somewhat educated when making a purchase. We all know of certain companies to definitely stay away from, but you should certainly check out sites like metacritic that have an average of scores from lots of different review sites/magaizines.
Old June 16th, 2004, 12:26 PM   #16
Symytry

[quote=Pahn]Lufia sucked. IIRC, it was an uninspired dungeon crawler. Either way, I played about an hour and quit. Maybe I'll give it another shot someday. It didn't get traded, but it was next in line, should EB not accept one of my other offerings.QUOTE]

Lufia is REALLY LONG, about 40 hours at least. I never played it but my brother did last summer. He wasn't giving it any praises...
Old June 16th, 2004, 02:13 PM   #17
Fox

Fox is an unknown quantity at this point

Games Owned: 35
Sonic Advance
Sonic Advance 2
Pokemon Ruby
Fire Emblem
Street Fighter Alpha 3
And of course Iron Man
Jerry: You see, Elaine, the key to eating a black and white cookie is that you wanna get some black and some white in each bite. Nothing mixes better than vanilla and chocolate. And yet still somehow racial harmony eludes us. If people would only look to the cookie, all our problems would be solved.
<Seinfeld>
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:15 PM   #18
laparka72

laparka72 is on a distinguished roadlaparka72 is on a distinguished road

Games Owned: 1
I have:
Classic NES Series: Super Mario Bros.
Fire Pro Wrestling 2
Konami Collector's Series: Arcade Advanced
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Metroid Fusion
Namco Museum
Sega Arcade Gallery
Super Monkey Ball Jr.
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Super Mario World 2

I love em all, but Fire Pro is awesome...
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:02 PM   #19
Aarvark

Aarvark will become famous soon enoughAarvark will become famous soon enoughAarvark will become famous soon enoughAarvark will become famous soon enoughAarvark will become famous soon enoughAarvark will become famous soon enough

Games Owned: 0
Sonic Advance
Rayman Advance
Tony Hawk 2
Astro Boy
Vrally 3
Doom
Old June 18th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #20
Acidevil

Acidevil has a spectacular aura aboutAcidevil has a spectacular aura aboutAcidevil has a spectacular aura aboutAcidevil has a spectacular aura aboutAcidevil has a spectacular aura aboutAcidevil has a spectacular aura aboutAcidevil has a spectacular aura aboutAcidevil has a spectacular aura aboutAcidevil has a spectacular aura aboutAcidevil has a spectacular aura aboutAcidevil has a spectacular aura about

Live!: Acidevil
PSN: deadBit

Games Owned: 165
Send a message via AIM to Acidevil Send a message via Yahoo to Acidevil Send a message via Skype™ to Acidevil
My List

Advance Wars
Advance Wars 2
Golden Sun
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Mario & Luigi Super Star Saga
Mario Kart Super Circuit
Mario vs Donkey Kong
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Zero Mission
Midway Greatest Arcade Hits
Namco Museum
Pac-man Collection
Super Ghouls N Ghosts
Tactics Ogre: The Knights of Lodis
Wario Ware, Inc Mega Micro Games

I've also got Kix, Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, and Mario Golf.
Acidevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 11:04 AM   #21
PantherX20

PantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
It says Cobalt Blue...but it looks purple to me *shrug*

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/232807.asp
Old June 18th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #22
Shin Shinobi Ryo

Shin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura about

Live!: Drifter Sengen
PSN: drifter_sengen

Games Owned: 937
Games Wanted: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Shin Shinobi Ryo
Jet Grind Radio
Boktai: The Sun is in Your Hand
Sonic Advance
Guilty Gear X: Advance Edition
Onimusha Tactics
Golden Sun
Klonoa: Empire of Dreams
Metroid Fusion
Advance Wars
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 (Jpn)
Gekido Advance: Kintaro's Revenge
Fire Emblem
Lunar Legend
Shin Shinobi Ryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #23
Symytry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherX20
It says Cobalt Blue...but it looks purple to me *shrug*

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/232807.asp
that picture may look purple, but the system is shiny blue...nothing purple about it.
Old June 18th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #24
PantherX20

the one i have looks purple
Old June 18th, 2004, 05:47 PM   #25
Pahn

Haha, yours is gay!

Mine is very clearly blue. As is my nephew's.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: