ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Retro Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Retro Games For the retro gamer in you, system unspecific.

Old May 27th, 2004, 04:46 AM   #1
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 267
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via AIM to mountpanic Send a message via Yahoo to mountpanic
2D's Greatest Hits?

That Metal Slug 3 demo got me all fired up about making some 2D games, but the thing is, I never owned any of the consoles from the 16 bit era or any handhelds. I only got to play at friends' houses, arcades or PC.

What are some of the best 2D animated sprite type games (mostly with painted art), whether old school, or merely handheld? They don't have to be exclusively side-scrolling shooters (although that's pretty much the context I'm thinking in). I know a lot of the Capcom 2D fighting games have some nice art too. I'm looking for anything with good art (especially) and/or gameplay. Basically what I'm looking for here are games that will inspire me and/or educate me so I can make a better, more beautiful game.

A few that I can think of would be:
Earthworm Jim
Pocket Fighter
Metal Slug, naturally

There is no one you couldn't love once you've heard their story.
Mary Lou Kownacki (via Fred Rogers)

Enjoy the CC Free Games Archive
mountpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:10 PM   #2
Bigg Russ

Bigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Bigg Russ

Games Owned: 73
Send a message via AIM to Bigg Russ Send a message via Yahoo to Bigg Russ
I have a soft spot in my heart for Commando (C=64).
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:59 PM   #3
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

What's good about it? Didn't it have a dial for aiming?

Old May 27th, 2004, 03:22 PM   #4
Intruderb

Intruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 420
Games Wanted: 30
I think you already have it nailed with Capcom and SNK- they really are the only 2 companies who continue to paint the 2d pallet and basically everything before the likes of say Street fighter 3 third strike for the dreamcast can't really compete. I would say to get the best samples of 2d artwork I would get a dreamcast and pick up all of the 2d fighters, and a SNES and grab all of squares RPG's.
... first, your dick is going to TOUCH hairy man ass, second your dick is going to PENETRATE hairy man ass, and lastly you're going to have to FUCK hairy man ass until you nut. What if he starts fucking you back? What if the dude starts groaning? Hairy man ass groaning?
Intruderb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 06:52 PM   #5
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Albert Odyssey on Sega Saturn. The game was a 2D work of art. Yea, it was originally designed for the SNES, and "ported" to the Saturn. However, they did certainly upgrade it, and all the hand drawn stuff is gorgeous.

The game itself is merely average for an RPG.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 02:06 AM   #6
Overkill
Staff Member

Overkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Zadoc

Games Owned: 432
Games Wanted: 81
Send a message via ICQ to Overkill Send a message via AIM to Overkill Send a message via MSN to Overkill Send a message via Yahoo to Overkill
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountpanic
That Metal Slug 3 demo got me all fired up about making some 2D games, but the thing is, I never owned any of the consoles from the 16 bit era or any handhelds. I only got to play at friends' houses, arcades or PC.

What are some of the best 2D animated sprite type games (mostly with painted art), whether old school, or merely handheld? They don't have to be exclusively side-scrolling shooters (although that's pretty much the context I'm thinking in). I know a lot of the Capcom 2D fighting games have some nice art too. I'm looking for anything with good art (especially) and/or gameplay. Basically what I'm looking for here are games that will inspire me and/or educate me so I can make a better, more beautiful game.

A few that I can think of would be:
Earthworm Jim
Pocket Fighter
Metal Slug, naturally

Do Dynamite Headdy and Gunstar Heroes count?
Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 02:15 AM   #7
mountpanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill
Do Dynamite Headdy and Gunstar Heroes count?
I don't know!

Old May 28th, 2004, 02:20 AM   #8
mountpanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intruderb
I think you already have it nailed with Capcom and SNK- they really are the only 2 companies who continue to paint the 2d pallet and basically everything before the likes of say Street fighter 3 third strike for the dreamcast can't really compete. I would say to get the best samples of 2d artwork I would get a dreamcast and pick up all of the 2d fighters, and a SNES and grab all of squares RPG's.
That's a really useful summation, b. Thanks!

All the old Square RPGs are on PS1 collections now, aren't they? I mean, I DO have a SNES now, but I have to reckon they'd be "collector" priced now.

Old May 28th, 2004, 02:43 AM   #9
Overkill
Staff Member

Overkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to Overkill Send a message via AIM to Overkill Send a message via MSN to Overkill Send a message via Yahoo to Overkill
Quote:
I don't know!
Kolibri: A side scrolling schooter for the 32X (same developers as Ecco)

Dynamite Headdy: A side scrolling platformer for the Genesis (developed by Treasure)

Gunstar Heroes: A co-op side scrolling shooter for Genesis (developed by Treasure)
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:13 AM   #10
Shin Shinobi Ryo

Shin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura about

Live!: Drifter Sengen
PSN: drifter_sengen

Games Owned: 937
Games Wanted: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Shin Shinobi Ryo
Off the top of my head these games come to mind

Princess Crown (Jp Saturn) There aren't many screenshots for this game. Those I did find aren't worth posting because of their size. However I did find this ripped sprite and an excellent site with a complete translation of the game. http://www.andriasang.com/translatio...own/index.html

Magic Knight Rayearth (Saturn)
http://www.sega-saturn.com/saturn/mkre.htm

Top Hunter : The adventures of Roddy and Cathy (Neo Geo)

Samurai Shodown II(Neo Geo)

Samurai Shodown III(Neo Geo)

Spinmaster (Neo Geo)
Shin Shinobi Ryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 01:10 PM   #11
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
Arrow

Virgin Interactive games also published a few 2-D titles with pretty nice hand drawn visuals. Namely: Cool Spot, Global Gladiators and Aladdin.

Last edited by Aeon Storm : May 28th, 2004 at 01:28 PM.
Aeon Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 01:46 PM   #12
GaMeRgUrU

GaMeRgUrU will become famous soon enoughGaMeRgUrU will become famous soon enoughGaMeRgUrU will become famous soon enoughGaMeRgUrU will become famous soon enoughGaMeRgUrU will become famous soon enoughGaMeRgUrU will become famous soon enoughGaMeRgUrU will become famous soon enoughGaMeRgUrU will become famous soon enoughGaMeRgUrU will become famous soon enoughGaMeRgUrU will become famous soon enough

Games Owned: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon Storm
Virgin Interactive games also published a few 2-D titles with pretty nice hand drawn visuals. Namely: Cool Spot, Global Gladiators and Aladdin.
Speaking of Aladdin, the Mickey Mouse games on the SNES were really well animated.
GaMeRgUrU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:32 PM   #13
mountpanic

Those are some really great examples. Thanks guys.

So what makes a 2D side-scroller fun? Did the genre wear itself out, or could they still be fun, especially if they _blank_?

I'd like to incorporate a little DMC style combat into that kind of game, since I like the 2D painted graphics, but we still have all the processing power of modern gaming. I'm thinking about an Indian (India Indians) themed game that incorporates the music almost like Rez. All the ideas I've had in the last week, I could seriously be happy just doing 2D games for the next few years, if there were any chance people would actually buy them.

Old May 28th, 2004, 05:39 PM   #14
Overkill
Staff Member

Elemental Gimmick Gear doe the Dreamcast has some great hand drawn backgrounds:
http://media.dreamcast.ign.com/media...88/imgs_1.html

But those images are not very high res.

Quote:
So what makes a 2D side-scroller fun?
Comix Zone for the Genesis, and now Game Boy Advance, is one of my favorite 2D games:

What a great concept. A virtual comic book with had drawn backgrounds and characters. I can only hope for a follow-up to this amazing title.

This is a 2D side scroller with great combat, a feel of adeveture, and multiple paths. It's a very original design as you go from each "cell" on the pages of the comic book to the other.

Mountpanic, you should see if Sega will let you develop a sequal to this game for the GBA or Xbox or somefin'.

Last edited by Overkill : May 28th, 2004 at 05:45 PM.
Old May 29th, 2004, 03:47 PM   #15
Medion

Medion is on a distinguished roadMedion is on a distinguished road

Legend of Oasis
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2004, 01:57 AM   #16
Overkill
Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medion
Legend of Oasis

Yes, that is a pretty game, as was Beyond Oasis.
Old May 31st, 2004, 03:32 AM   #17
Overkill
Staff Member

Beyond Oasis:

Legend of Oasis:
Old May 31st, 2004, 03:15 PM   #18
mountpanic

What keeps side-scrolling interesting and fun? I remember when it got to the point where they seemed all the same, or at least that a lot of them were lukewarm rehashes. Are they something just to be played once in a while for nostalgia's sake, or can they be as fresh and fun as any 3D game if someone's really making an effort behind the scenes?

I have some ideas of my own, like deeper gameplay and making use of modern processing capabilities. The DS looks to have 4 face buttons, as opposed to the Gameboy's 2, which is a significant opportunity, I think. I'd like to do sort of a DMC-lite combat system for a 2D game. The first game, anyway. I don't know what will ever come of it, but I have an outline for a whole series of games, each with unique characters and gameplay, but loosely connected thematically, kind of like all the games under the Final Fantasy banner, only fun.

Old May 31st, 2004, 11:45 PM   #19
Aarvark

Aarvark will become famous soon enoughAarvark will become famous soon enoughAarvark will become famous soon enoughAarvark will become famous soon enoughAarvark will become famous soon enoughAarvark will become famous soon enough

Homebrew game that is being made for DC looks impressive.

Alice

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/alice.shtml
Old June 1st, 2004, 03:14 AM   #20
Overkill
Staff Member

Quote:
What keeps side-scrolling interesting and fun? I remember when it got to the point where they seemed all the same, or at least that a lot of them were lukewarm rehashes. Are they something just to be played once in a while for nostalgia's sake, or can they be as fresh and fun as any 3D game if someone's really making an effort behind the scenes?
Play Comix Zone, you'll have your answer. It's a side-scroller, and average side scrolling 2D brawler, but it has unique characteristics that really makes it stand out. There are multiple paths, a plot that drives the gameplay, and a unique setting which more than makes up for the 23 that it takes to beat the game, and the mediocre combat system.

The way to keep the side-scroller interestng and fun, and not jut another rehash, is to design a completely unique game and do something that's never been done before, but with elements of tried and true designs.

Also, for another really unique side scroller try Treasure's Alien Soldier.
Old June 1st, 2004, 11:28 AM   #21
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Streets of Rage 2 is the best side-scroller of all time, despite that they took moves out that were in the first one. I want partner-assisted attacks, 2 specials per person (and I like how one only hurts you if it connects, the other hurts you regardless). Lots of moves, with clean animation.

Some RPG elements like those found in River City Ransom would also be quite awesome.

That said, shooters suck ass. Beat em ups are WAY better.

Also, Alundra shits all over Beyond Oasis, though BO is a good game too.
Old June 4th, 2004, 02:51 AM   #22
mountpanic

I'm leaning very much toward beat-'em-up for the game I'm designing now. It may actually be a beat-'em-up AND/OR a shooter (and/or hop 'n' bopper) depending on the character you choose, and their particular skill set.

Old June 4th, 2004, 06:26 AM   #23
Overkill
Staff Member

Quote:
I'm leaning very much toward beat-'em-up for the game I'm designing now. It may actually be a beat-'em-up AND/OR a shooter (and/or hop 'n' bopper) depending on the character you choose, and their particular skill set.

That would be cool, if you made a game with three different characters which have unique atributes, and each character could take different paths through the same level like in Sonic 3, I'd buy it if it were good.
Old June 5th, 2004, 01:26 AM   #24
mountpanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill
That would be cool, if you made a game with three different characters which have unique atributes, and each character could take different paths through the same level like in Sonic 3, I'd buy it if it were good.
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to work out. Varible abilities based on the different actions, jumping, short range attacks, long range attacks, unique skills. I've been planning on at least 4 different characters, with branching paths that anyone can take, and others that are character specific, accessible by skill.

Old June 5th, 2004, 08:27 AM   #25
PantherX20

PantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the rough

Live!: Evidence786

Games Owned: -5
Arrow Punisher For the Arcade

Punisher for Arcade was made by Capcom and was a beat em up...this is one of my favorite beat em ups along with gunstar heroes guardian heroes

Heres some Screens from the Genesis Version:

PantherX20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: