ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Sony
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sony They've led sales in the last console generation and are working on the next with the PS3. Will that and the PSP keep them moving at the top of the pack? Discuss it here.

Old April 23rd, 2004, 10:02 PM   #1
Marvel Man X

Marvel Man X is just really niceMarvel Man X is just really niceMarvel Man X is just really niceMarvel Man X is just really niceMarvel Man X is just really niceMarvel Man X is just really niceMarvel Man X is just really niceMarvel Man X is just really niceMarvel Man X is just really niceMarvel Man X is just really niceMarvel Man X is just really nice

Games Owned: 291
Games Wanted: 0
Something I Never Understood...

What is something in the "Gaming World" that you never understood?

Something I don't understand is why do gamers at gaming boards always complain about the characters and/or the music when it is a bit more on the "urban" side? For instance, I was reading this board and they were complaining about the fact that Def Jam Vendetta has those "Urban" type of characters and music in it. Or in Fight Night 2004, because the game has that similar (Def Jam Vendetta) feel to it. Do they realize that that's the type of crowd they are gearing the game to? Even in NBA Live they complain. They won't be happy until they start playing J-Pop in the background and have characters with super big eyes in these games.
Marvel Man X is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2004, 11:56 PM   #2
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
Quote:
They won't be happy until they start playing J-Pop in the background and have characters with super big eyes
Believe me, they complain about that even more than they do the thug shit. You simply can't please everyone.
Old April 24th, 2004, 12:39 AM   #3
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 267
Send a message via AIM to mountpanic Send a message via Yahoo to mountpanic
Because different=bad for too many dumbfucks.

There is no one you couldn't love once you've heard their story.
Mary Lou Kownacki (via Fred Rogers)

Enjoy the CC Free Games Archive
mountpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 11:20 AM   #4
Bigg Russ

Bigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Bigg Russ

Games Owned: 73
Send a message via AIM to Bigg Russ Send a message via Yahoo to Bigg Russ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountpanic
Because different=bad for too many dumbfucks.
Very eloquently put, Mr. Panic.
Old April 24th, 2004, 11:21 AM   #5
Shin Shinobi Ryo

Shin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura about

Live!: Drifter Sengen
PSN: drifter_sengen

Games Owned: 937
Games Wanted: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Shin Shinobi Ryo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel Man X
What is something in the "Gaming World" that you never understood?
I've never understood the reason consoles have territorial lockouts and handhelds don't.
Shin Shinobi Ryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 11:45 AM   #6
Korr

Korr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of light

Live!: Korranator

Games Owned: 197
I never understood the draw of sport games. I'm a big fan of both the NFL and NHL, but can't see the point of playing a make believe games of the sport. I'm not really a fan of minor league games either. I don't want to watch a bunch of no name amateurs play.

---------------------------------------------------

President Barack Obama - said his $787 billion stimulus bill “has worked as intended”
Korr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 02:26 PM   #7
sven

sven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 15
Send a message via ICQ to sven Send a message via AIM to sven
Then you arent really a sports fan you are a stars fan.
Old April 24th, 2004, 02:41 PM   #8
Shaolin

Shaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 92
Send a message via ICQ to Shaolin Send a message via Yahoo to Shaolin
Quote:
Something I don't understand is why do gamers at gaming boards always complain about the characters and/or the music when it is a bit more on the "urban" side? For instance, I was reading this board and they were complaining about the fact that Def Jam Vendetta has those "Urban" type of characters and music in it. Or in Fight Night 2004, because the game has that similar (Def Jam Vendetta) feel to it. Do they realize that that's the type of crowd they are gearing the game to? Even in NBA Live they complain.
Its because they don't like niggas. Isn't "urban" just a codeword for niggas?

I don't understand why videogaming hasn't sustained a serious, critical journalism. I'd love to see developers interviewed on their products POST-release, and questioned about the glaring faults or ingenious innovations in their games. I think we might get better product when the producers feet are held to the fire (or when good behavior is rewarded). We don't need anymore gushing fanboy PR disguised as journalism.

Shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 03:01 PM   #9
Korr

Korr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven
Then you arent really a sports fan you are a stars fan.
No, I'm a professional sports fan. Amateurs make too many mistakes, and the play level is sloppy with more relaxed rules.

President Barack Obama - said his $787 billion stimulus bill “has worked as intended”

Last edited by Korr : April 24th, 2004 at 03:13 PM.
Old April 24th, 2004, 03:12 PM   #10
Korr

Angry

Another point is why do they change the box art from the Japanese release to the American ones?

Also, WTF is with the censorship? Many games have had Wine or beer changed to grape juice or root beer. Some games never came to America because the characters smoked cigarettes and the publishers refused to remove it from the game. Xenogears had a crucification scene removed and almost didn't even make it the US shores, and just recently La Pucelle: Tactics is having a crosses removed from many of the backgrounds, weapons, and armor because the publisher thinks it might offend religious folks. I hate fucking censorship.

Last edited by Korr : April 24th, 2004 at 03:39 PM.
Old April 24th, 2004, 05:36 PM   #11
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 267
Send a message via AIM to mountpanic Send a message via Yahoo to mountpanic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin
Its because they don't like niggas. Isn't "urban" just a codeword for niggas?

I don't understand why videogaming hasn't sustained a serious, critical journalism. I'd love to see developers interviewed on their products POST-release, and questioned about the glaring faults or ingenious innovations in their games. I think we might get better product when the producers feet are held to the fire (or when good behavior is rewarded). We don't need anymore gushing fanboy PR disguised as journalism.
Awesome post.

There is no one you couldn't love once you've heard their story.
Mary Lou Kownacki (via Fred Rogers)

Enjoy the CC Free Games Archive
mountpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 05:42 PM   #12
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
I'm not racist, but I can't stand "urban" culture.

I dislike the glamorization of thugs, hoodlums, and criminals. I don't like rap, and its message. I hate gold teeth, ebonics, etc. Stuff like that.

Obviously that doesn't apply to everyone, and it's got nothing to do with perceived "race"...I just have a problem with that style.
Old April 24th, 2004, 09:52 PM   #13
Bigg Russ

Bigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn
I'm not racist, but I can't stand "urban" culture.

I dislike the glamorization of thugs, hoodlums, and criminals. I don't like rap, and its message. I hate gold teeth, ebonics, etc. Stuff like that.

Obviously that doesn't apply to everyone, and it's got nothing to do with perceived "race"...I just have a problem with that style.
Shit, I LOVE rap music but have the same problem with that style. That's besides the point though.
Old April 25th, 2004, 07:58 AM   #14
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
Quote:
I enjoy rap music and I don't like any of that shit either. I think you're whole "it's message" thing is a little too general, but I understand since you probably have a more limited knowledge of hip-hop in general.

At any rate:

Quote:
I've never understood the reason consoles have territorial lockouts and handhelds don't.
I've tried to rationalize this, but I continue to come up blank. It's a long shot, but it's probably because hand-helds haven’t really evolved much since the 8 to 16-bit era (the GameBoy hadn't really changed since the Advance), when consoles didn't have regional codes either. The SMS, NES, Genesis, 32X and SNES had different shaped carts in some cases, but they were all regional. The whole lock out thing became more popular with the disc format -- something hand-helds don't use.

Importing in general wasn't a huge thing back in the day, and I don't think they feel the hand held crowd is "hardcore" enough to care about importing. I think it's still regarded as a kid's market.

Quote:
Another point is why do they change the box art from the Japanese release to the American ones?
"Studies" show Americans aren't as receptive with Japanese art, and culture as much as they do Westernized art and culture. This is why rice balls get changed into Hamburgers in games, and sweet ass cover art is replaced with amateur garbage drawn by someone's cousin in the marketing department.

Quote:
Also, WTF is with the censorship? Many games have had Wine or beer changed to grape juice or root beer.
American Christianity.
Old April 25th, 2004, 09:25 AM   #15
gabopagan

gabopagan is just really nicegabopagan is just really nicegabopagan is just really nicegabopagan is just really nicegabopagan is just really nicegabopagan is just really nicegabopagan is just really nicegabopagan is just really nicegabopagan is just really nicegabopagan is just really nicegabopagan is just really nice

Games Owned: 7
I'll never understad the taste of the average VG consumer. I can't understand why licensed crap sells millions and brilliant games bomb.

I don't undersrtand he sillines of so-called hardore fans of a specific platform badmouthing or insulting fans of other platforms. I like my PS2 cuzz it has the games I like to play but you won't find me insulting Xbox owners.

I'll neverunderstand Nintendo. Their business decisions, the controllers, the games... I just don't get those people.
Old April 25th, 2004, 10:13 AM   #16
BigTime

BigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the rough

Live!: lamegamertag

Games Owned: 14
Regarding Fight Night, I think a lot of people wanted a more realistic presentation. I don't mind EA BIG doing the "urban" style games, but for their normal lineup I like it to be as real as possible. I would've rather had commentary by Lampley and Merchant, with HBO graphics/music/intros. Instead we got Big Tigger whoever the hell that is. I've never had a complaint with Live or Madden though, that is until Method Man starts doing the play by play. I'm fine with all of the other stuff.
Old April 25th, 2004, 10:21 AM   #17
Bigg Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTime
Instead we got Big Tigger whoever the hell that is.

He's an urban radio/TV personality.
Old April 25th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #18
Groo the Wanderer

Groo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabopagan
I'll never understad the taste of the average VG consumer. I can't understand why licensed crap sells millions and brilliant games bomb.

On top of that, I sitll don't understand why millions of people spend $50 every year for a new Madden. It's the the same fucking game people. Play last years version again, an dthen spend that $50 on a game like Ico, Prince of Persia, Beyond Good & Evil, etc. And don't feed me that bullshit about stats updates, it's the same guys in spandex pajama pants.
Groo the Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #19
Shin Egg Robo X

Shin Egg Robo X has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Games Owned: 23
Most hardcore gamers dislike the urban theme because they probably think its too "casual" and mainstream. I honestly don't care if a game is "urban" or not. I just play it if it is fun. Thats one of the things I learned thats funny about hardcore gamers. They blow their loads at the fact that some mediocre licensed game is coming from Japan to the US but scoff at someone for anticipating a licensed game from America.

I would like to see a gaming magazine interview developers after the fact. Yet you will never see it. Why? Most gaming magazines are written to cater to 10 year olds...or so it seems. They are too busy writing jokes that aren't funny and rambling about how Nintendo is screwing up (without any original thought or insight, by the way). I just look at the screens of games now and trash the free mags I get.
Shin Egg Robo X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2004, 12:48 PM   #20
BigTime

BigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the rough

Live!: lamegamertag

Games Owned: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Egg Robo X
I would like to see a gaming magazine interview developers after the fact. Yet you will never see it. Why? Most gaming magazines are written to cater to 10 year olds...or so it seems. They are too busy writing jokes that aren't funny and rambling about how Nintendo is screwing up (without any original thought or insight, by the way). I just look at the screens of games now and trash the free mags I get.
Actually EGM does do this. They may not ask very tough questions, but the've had this section for a while now.
Old April 25th, 2004, 01:28 PM   #21
Korr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTime
Actually EGM does do this. They may not ask very tough questions, but the've had this section for a while now.
Yeah, one or two pages per magazine. They are not excatly going on a limb...

Old April 25th, 2004, 10:20 PM   #22
gabopagan

gabopagan is just really nicegabopagan is just really nicegabopagan is just really nicegabopagan is just really nicegabopagan is just really nicegabopagan is just really nicegabopagan is just really nicegabopagan is just really nicegabopagan is just really nicegabopagan is just really nicegabopagan is just really nice

Games Owned: 7
The early issues of Next Generation, before they became a bunch of arrogant asses had good commentary on game design and actual articles and critiques. Not just the usual blowjobs. They are not around anymore. I don't think there is a terribly big market for a serious videogame magazine. GamePro/Nintendo Power style mags seem to sell better.

Another thing I just don't get is the whole online gaming thing. The level of commitment needed is just too heavy. The barriers for the casual player are too high. Also there ain't nothing social about it. Social games are bomberman, eyetoy, thing s like that. A bunch of sad loney guys playing Everquest in their bedrooms for 15 hours a day are not engaged in a social activity.
Old April 25th, 2004, 11:09 PM   #23
Bigg Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groo the Wanderer
On top of that, I sitll don't understand why millions of people spend $50 every year for a new Madden. It's the the same fucking game people. Play last years version again, an dthen spend that $50 on a game like Ico, Prince of Persia, Beyond Good & Evil, etc. And don't feed me that bullshit about stats updates, it's the same guys in spandex pajama pants.
Something I never understood is how gamers get all riled up over how other gamers spend their cash.

Did you ever stop to realize that maybe, just maybe, the cat who buys Madden every year isn't in the least interested in a game like Ico or Beyond Good and Evil? Picture me telling some of the cats around the way who bet REAL MONEY on Madden that Ico just came out and they need to buy that one year instead of Madden. I'd be shot, stabbed AND hanged.

Also, the sports gamers I know ONLY buy sports titles. A few action games and shooters in between for variety but that's 'bout it. So spending a few hundred bucks every season isn't an issue to them.
Old April 25th, 2004, 11:33 PM   #24
Marvel Man X

Marvel Man X is just really niceMarvel Man X is just really niceMarvel Man X is just really niceMarvel Man X is just really niceMarvel Man X is just really niceMarvel Man X is just really niceMarvel Man X is just really niceMarvel Man X is just really niceMarvel Man X is just really niceMarvel Man X is just really niceMarvel Man X is just really nice

Games Owned: 291
Quote:
You can say the same about people who go and buy the same versions of Street Fighter II till this very day with just minor adjustments to it or director cut versions of games they already have.
Marvel Man X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2004, 11:48 PM   #25
Groo the Wanderer

Groo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Russ
Something I never understood is how gamers get all riled up over how other gamers spend their cash.

Did you ever stop to realize that maybe, just maybe, the cat who buys Madden every year isn't in the least interested in a game like Ico or Beyond Good and Evil? Picture me telling some of the cats around the way who bet REAL MONEY on Madden that Ico just came out and they need to buy that one year instead of Madden. I'd be shot, stabbed AND hanged.

Also, the sports gamers I know ONLY buy sports titles. A few action games and shooters in between for variety but that's 'bout it. So spending a few hundred bucks every season isn't an issue to them.
Not my fault you hang out with the scum of the earth.
Groo the Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: