ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > SEGA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEGA It's no longer thinking, but the occasional topic still pops up. Besides, the Dreamcast doesn't really feel old enough to be called Retro.

Old January 28th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #1
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 191
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via AIM to bigloser Send a message via MSN to bigloser
Most Under-rated Dreamcast games?

I thought of this topic a few days ago. I was in a local mom & pop video game establishment. They had bunch of Dreamcast games(Way overpriced).. I was looking thru some of the games(Most of them going for $20 bucks ). And I noticed a few that i've long gotten rid of, but really enjoyed. Games like D2, Sword of the Berserk, games that I personally really liked. But they never seemed to catch on, or never was really critically acclaimed..

Since i'm bored today(Back giving me problems out the ass) I figured i'd go ahead and make a small list..

D2
I believe this is the first game Sega ever showed running on the dreamcast hardware.. D2 had some great graphics for it's time, a great story, and solid gameplay

Record of Lodoss War
Great Hack N Slash, wish I would have never sold this one.

Dragon Riders Chronicles of Pern
Now this game had many, many flaws, but I really loved the story, and the freedom(even though limited) you got from being able to walk around the and explore(Guess you could say Dragon riders is a poor-mans Shenmue).

Silver
Another good under-rated action rpg, Silver backgrounds were pre-rendered, and truely looked great(back then at least).

Sword of the Berserk
Great Beatem up, had a very interesting story, and solid graphics, another game I wish I would have never gotten rid of.

Project Justice.
Project Justice came out twords the end of the Dreamcasts life, and was budget priced. But the game was a lot of fun, and is one of my favorite fighters on the Dreamcast.

Last edited by bigloser : January 28th, 2004 at 02:15 PM.
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2004, 09:33 AM   #2
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 95
Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage was awesome. In fact I haven't been able to enjoy a hack n' slash since that game, because for some reason I just really enjoyed that one, and others haven't compared. I really wanna' see a sequel.
Old February 1st, 2004, 10:37 AM   #3
YoungFan

YoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: xIceCBx
PSN: IceCB

Games Owned: 56
Send a message via AIM to YoungFan Send a message via Yahoo to YoungFan
Power Stone

Hey Loser most of the games on the DC where Under Rated because if they werent Under Rated the DC would of done better.
YoungFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 11:40 AM   #4
Syndicate

Syndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud of

Live!: Syn Zero
PSN: SynZero-00

Games Owned: 399
Games Wanted: 4
...I wish had purchased D2 and Project Justice when I had the chance.

"There's one party in Washington. It's the party of money."
David Cay. Johnston

"...forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead."
Phil 3:13

Current Game Rotation - Forza Horizon 3, Forza Motorsport 6, Firewatch, Halo:MCC XB1 | Phantasy Star 360 | PS3 | The Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda, Guacamelee: STCE Wii U
Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:46 AM   #5
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 267
Send a message via AIM to mountpanic Send a message via Yahoo to mountpanic
I want a new Rival Schools/Project Justice... BAD. Rival Schools is easily my favorite fighter on PSX -- and I only have one of the discs, having bought it cheap as hell from Ballbuster. PJ looked great, but I felt the difficulty curve was on the steep side, and of course Soul Calibur owned on DC. I'd like to see them bust it out on the current hardware. Team combos rule.

Also:
Chu Chu Rocket -- deserves to be a puzzle game classic. I wish I'd had a chance to play it online. I could go for a new one of these too, with custom puzzle design.

Looney Tunes Space Race -- Some people prefer Wacky Racers, but I hate those characters, and it's nowhere near as beautiful to behold as LTSR.

Seaman -- Was this underrated? I think the weirdness of it turned a lot of people off, but it was -- and remains -- an utterly unique experience among games. Weren't they making a new version for the PS2? I wants!

There is no one you couldn't love once you've heard their story.
Mary Lou Kownacki (via Fred Rogers)

Enjoy the CC Free Games Archive
mountpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:12 PM   #6
YoungFan

YoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by mountpanic
Seaman -- Was this underrated? I think the weirdness of it turned a lot of people off, but it was -- and remains -- an utterly unique experience among games. Weren't they making a new version for the PS2? I wants!

I think they did but i think it only came out in Japan.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:43 PM   #7
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 191
Send a message via AIM to bigloser Send a message via MSN to bigloser
Quote:
Originally posted by YoungFan
I think they did but i think it only came out in Japan.
I could be wrong, but I believe Sega didn't make a sequel. I think Sega just ported the Dreamcast version of Seaman, to the PS2 in Japan.
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2004, 07:44 PM   #8
YoungFan

Quote:
Originally posted by bigloserI6
I could be wrong, but I believe Sega didn't make a sequel. I think Sega just ported the Dreamcast version of Seaman, to the PS2 in Japan.

that is what i mean. there was plans for a sequel on the ps2 but they canned it
Old February 4th, 2004, 10:14 PM   #9
cagmere

cagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Cag1082

Games Owned: 47
Send a message via AIM to cagmere
Underrated...

Dreamcast games in general did well in the ratings, and it is the only console that I have seen that has a game that got a 10 at Gamespot (Soul Calibur). As for those that got low ratings that I enjoyed....

Zombie Revenge
WWF Royal Rumble
House of the Dead II
Evil Dead: Hail to the King
Super Runabout: San Francisco Edition
Stupid Invaders
Old February 4th, 2004, 10:57 PM   #10
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 0
Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
silver was fun as fuck..

zombie revenge was decent but was kinda easy to beat... was the cloest we'll ever get to another Streets of rage,( you could turn off guns and go hand to hand combat vs the zombies)

sorry but Royal Rumble just wasn't good

H of the dead i still own along with 2 gun games but haveb't played in over 3 years...

Super runabout sf was cool but crazy taxi 1 was a hell of a lot better.

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2004, 01:14 AM   #11
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: MarsupialJones

Games Owned: 149
Test Drive Le Mans. I really liked that game. It actually let you race a 24 hour race in real time.
Old February 11th, 2004, 12:27 AM   #12
Swirlie

Swirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enough

Live!: N0REGARD4L1FE

Games Owned: 16
Test Drive LeMans and Shenmue. TD:L had some really good graphics and effects, and was a solid all around racing title. Shenmue I thought was good. People bitched about having to "work" in the game and having to wait before they could progress in the game due to the "time" feature. I guess it was TOO realistic for some, but it was pretty original as far as the things you were able to do.
Old February 11th, 2004, 04:44 AM   #13
Aarvark

Aarvark will become famous soon enoughAarvark will become famous soon enoughAarvark will become famous soon enoughAarvark will become famous soon enoughAarvark will become famous soon enoughAarvark will become famous soon enough

Tokyo Bus Guide
World Neverland plus 2
Mr Driller
Old February 13th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #14
Overkill
Staff Member

Overkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Zadoc

Games Owned: 432
Games Wanted: 81
Send a message via ICQ to Overkill Send a message via AIM to Overkill Send a message via MSN to Overkill Send a message via Yahoo to Overkill
Re: Most Under-rated Dreamcast games?

Quote:
Originally posted by bigloserI6

D2
I believe this is the first game Sega ever showed running on the dreamcast hardware.. D2 had some great graphics for it's time, a great story, and solid gameplay
This was a great game. I was a big fan of D on the Sega Saturn. Most of the people on this forum didn't really like D2, and if you look up Console City's old D2 review they really bashed it. However, the game is great and is worth playing. There is a complete D game that was developed for the M2 system that will never be released.

Quote:

Record of Lodoss War
Great Hack N Slash, wish I would have never sold this one.
I have this one too, but I never completed it. It's very long and kind of tedious. The gameplay is solid, though. Way better than Diablo II. I was working at Gamestop when this game came out. It's based off of some kind of anime so all of the anime kiddies reserved it and then returned it because the story of the game appearently has nothing to do with the show... which I have never seen, mind you.

Quote:

Dragon Riders Chronicles of Pern
Now this game had many, many flaws, but I really loved the story, and the freedom(even though limited) you got from being able to walk around the and explore(Guess you could say Dragon riders is a poor-mans Shenmue).
Another fablous game. Though the game plays and feels like Shenmue, I wouldn't call it the "poor man's" version of the game. Yes, Dragon Riders is glitchy. Yes, the graphics are sub par. Yes, the loading times are forever. However, the story is deep and captivating. It even inspired me to pick up of the the books that the game is based on. I wish that AM2 had developed it so that it could've had the benefit of Shenmue graphics.

Quote:

Sword of the Berserk
Great Beatem up, had a very interesting story, and solid graphics, another game I wish I would have never gotten rid of.

Oh, ya! I hear there's a sequel in the works.
Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2004, 01:18 PM   #15
Overkill
Staff Member

Overkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to Overkill Send a message via AIM to Overkill Send a message via MSN to Overkill Send a message via Yahoo to Overkill

Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm

Embark on an epic quest to unite the shattered kingdoms of humanity. Bring a knowledge of the arcane arts and a mastery of deadly swordplay to bear on the evil that jeopardizes these last bastions of civilization. The vile Dragon Lord has returned and in his shadow of impending doom an unholy pestilence threatens all mankind.

This game kicks ass. It's a wonderful action/adventure with an emphasis on both elements. Some excellent voice acting as well.

Starlancer

StarLancer combines the action of first-person space combat with the drama and intrigue of a classic air combat movie. Countries from around the world including the United States, China, Russia, and Great Britain have formed strategic alliances.

Best-SegaNet-Game-Ever

Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram

More than just a fast-paced fighting game, Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram is a pixel-by-pixel port of the arcade hit. A sequel in the popular Virtual-On universe, this game is set in a sci-fi future where virtuaroids are pitted against each other in battle. Armed with a variety of weapons, speed, strength, and combat techniques, each virtuaroid poses a different threat. You'll fight your way through a dozen of these (one is a secret character) to reach the final and most powerful enemy, Tangram.

VO:OT is a good game, but it's a departure from every kind of combat game that there is. The original on Saturn was one of my favorite games to play online. I wish that Virtual On: Marz would come out for Xbox and be on XBL.

Dynamite Cop!

If you liked DYNAMITE COP in the arcade, then you’re going to love it on your Dreamcast. In this fast-paced side-scroller, you play as one of three dynamite cops who have been selected for a mission of national security. A cruise ship has been hijacked by a group of vagabond pirates, and one of the hostages just happens to be the President’s daughter. Pick your fighter and choose from three different attack plans, then get ready for the fight of your life. Even though this is a solo mission, you’ll have plenty of weapons available to make your job a little easier. If traditional weapons aren’t your style, then take advantage of the environment and use whatever you can find as a weapon: huge potted plants, oversized tuna, and even a urinal. If you can pick it up, then it’s fair game. You can also try your hand at the Survival mode, Versus mode, and the arcade classic TRANQUILIZER GUN, which is included in the game.

Oh man. This game has the worst voice acting and really bad graphics. But man, is this good fun with a friend! The game works because it's fun, just like Die Hard Arcade.
Old February 13th, 2004, 03:11 PM   #16
bitWise

bitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud of

VO:OT really is a great game. Still have it and still think it's amazing. I would love to see a new version of this game.

Sword of the Beserk was also excellent. Great story, great graphics (at least I thought so at the time), and good gameplay. It is just a really cool game. A sequel would be appreciated.
bitWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 03:12 AM   #17
Overkill
Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post

Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm

Embark on an epic quest to unite the shattered kingdoms of humanity. Bring a knowledge of the arcane arts and a mastery of deadly swordplay to bear on the evil that jeopardizes these last bastions of civilization. The vile Dragon Lord has returned and in his shadow of impending doom an unholy pestilence threatens all mankind.

This game kicks ass. It's a wonderful action/adventure with an emphasis on both elements. Some excellent voice acting as well.
I just busted out with this one again. It still holds up, but what Dreamcast really lacked was a dual analog controller. In this game, it is just obvious.
Old September 27th, 2006, 03:18 AM   #18
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 267
Send a message via AIM to mountpanic Send a message via Yahoo to mountpanic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloser View Post
I will be damned...

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/734/734887p1.html

There is no one you couldn't love once you've heard their story.
Mary Lou Kownacki (via Fred Rogers)

Enjoy the CC Free Games Archive
mountpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #19
Bigg Russ

Bigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Bigg Russ

Games Owned: 73
Send a message via AIM to Bigg Russ Send a message via Yahoo to Bigg Russ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountpanic View Post

Really, consider me blown away.
Bigg Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #20
Bigg Russ

Bigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Bigg Russ

Games Owned: 73
Send a message via AIM to Bigg Russ Send a message via Yahoo to Bigg Russ
Quote:
Originally Posted by turningpoint View Post
silver was fun as fuck..
Yes, yes it was.

Sword of the Bezerk is one of the worst games ever created, IMHO.
Bigg Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 11:21 AM   #21
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
Quote:
Originally Posted by turningpoint View Post

H of the dead i still own along with 2 gun games but haveb't played in over 3 years...

make that 5.5 years now....

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: