ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Microsoft
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Microsoft Most powerful console available. The Xbox is doing well on its homecourt, but on the road sales aren't dominating.

Old May 7th, 2003, 01:25 PM   #1
The Krakken

The Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 46
Games Wanted: 0
Return to Castle Wolfenstein....

Anybody got it?

Any reviews? (IGN or personal)

Any impressions?

IT DID COME OUT TODAY YA KNOW!!!
The Krakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2003, 01:41 PM   #2
Vid Gamer

Vid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of light
Games Owned: 375

BizzyBum
You'll find more discussion about RtCW for Xbox here.
Vid Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 03:04 PM   #3
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 191
Send a message via AIM to bigloser Send a message via MSN to bigloser
I've got it, haven't really played it enough to give impressions.
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 03:13 PM   #4
Cowboybebop

Cowboybebop can only hope to improveCowboybebop can only hope to improveCowboybebop can only hope to improve
Games Owned: 102
I liked it on the PC ....oh
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:40 PM   #5
Mugsy

Mugsy will become famous soon enoughMugsy will become famous soon enoughMugsy will become famous soon enoughMugsy will become famous soon enoughMugsy will become famous soon enoughMugsy will become famous soon enough
Games Owned: 1

Mugsy
Send a message via ICQ to Mugsy Send a message via MSN to Mugsy
here is the IGN review:
Presentation
Good cut-scenes, lots of story scattered throughout the game, nice level progression, and awesome Xbox Live support. 9.0

Graphics
The framerate is more jittery than an IT guy after his fourth triple espresso, but the rest of the game is quite attractive. Amazing water, good effects, and some great textures. 8.0

Sound
Great use of 5.1. The environment truly surrounds you and those with 5.1 will have an advantage when listening for enemy's approaching them from the rear. 9.0

Gameplay
Just about everything translates well here from the PC to Xbox controller, but the weapon selection control could have been better. This is the game to get on Xbox Live. Fun, fast, and fantastic. 9.0

Lasting Appeal
The single-player will take anywhere from 10-15 hours, but online play will keep this in your Xbox all summer long. 10.0

OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 9.3
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:46 PM   #6
DG

DG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 28
Quote:
The framerate is more jittery than an IT guy after his fourth triple espresso...
WTF!?

I can cross that one off my list...

Bad framerates in an FPS are annoying as hell. Throws your aim off. If the developer can't be bothered to optimize an FPS for the Xbox, then I'm not going to bother spending my money for it.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:06 PM   #7
BigTime

BigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the rough
Games Owned: 14

lamegamertag
Yeah I am weary now...

I guess the only reason I am thinking about getting it is because I feel so guilty about not using XBL for so long...

I think I will stick with the PC version and probably spend the money on NBA Street Vol 2 instead. If only that was online...drool.
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:29 PM   #8
MiaBran

MiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 44
Send a message via AIM to MiaBran Send a message via MSN to MiaBran Send a message via Yahoo to MiaBran
Quote:
Originally posted by BigTime
Yeah I am weary now...

I guess the only reason I am thinking about getting it is because I feel so guilty about not using XBL for so long...

I think I will stick with the PC version and probably spend the money on NBA Street Vol 2 instead. If only that was online...drool.

You still don't have Ghost recon (you cheap old man ).

Persistence is having the same goal over and over.
MiaBran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:58 PM   #9
BigTime

BigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the roughBigTime is a jewel in the rough

lamegamertag
Ghost Recon

When it's $20 i'm in.
Old May 8th, 2003, 08:39 AM   #10
BlackTJ

BlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to behold
Games Owned: 96

Bad TJ
Send a message via MSN to BlackTJ Send a message via Yahoo to BlackTJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Mugsy
The framerate is more jittery than an IT guy after his fourth triple espresso, but the rest of the game is quite attractive.
Huh... I own the game as well and spent about 4 hours in it last night learning levels on Live. Never noticed a bad framerate at all. I have never played the PC version either.
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:05 AM   #11
DG

DG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond repute
I played the PC demo a bit last night.

Damn, I hate playing games on a PC. It just feels "wrong" somehow to be playing games at a desk.

But I have to say I'm impressed with Wolfenstein. The two levels in the demo are VERY different from each other which is a good indication the SP game won't get dull. Some destructable environment elements, (you can shoot out wooden floors to decend), interaction with objects, (throwing chairs), and nice animation.
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:40 AM   #12
BlackTJ

BlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to behold
Games Owned: 96

Bad TJ
Send a message via MSN to BlackTJ Send a message via Yahoo to BlackTJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Vid Gamer
You'll find more discussion about RtCW for Xbox here.
Worst reccomendation to another thread ever. If you go to that "thread" start on page 7 to skip all the bullshit.

Big Time, if you still want to know how it plays come on over and check it out, I'll be on most of tonight as well.
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:34 AM   #13
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 191
Send a message via AIM to bigloser Send a message via MSN to bigloser
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I played the PC demo a bit last night.

Damn, I hate playing games on a PC. It just feels "wrong" somehow to be playing games at a desk.

But I have to say I'm impressed with Wolfenstein. The two levels in the demo are VERY different from each other which is a good indication the SP game won't get dull. Some destructable environment elements, (you can shoot out wooden floors to decend), interaction with objects, (throwing chairs), and nice animation.
Imo, fps are much better on the pc.
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:35 AM   #14
The Krakken

The Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackTJ
Huh... I own the game as well and spent about 4 hours in it last night learning levels on Live. Never noticed a bad framerate at all. I have never played the PC version either.
I did.
Old May 8th, 2003, 12:16 PM   #15
DG

Quote:
Originally posted by bigloserI6
Imo, fps are much better on the pc.
In some ways yes, in other ways, no.

On the PC you have access to tons of mods, new levels, level editors, and free updates.

On the PC, provided you've got a fast system (or are running older games), there are no framerate troubles.

The mouse / keyboard combo is a very precise and accurate way to play.

But on the downside:

You're sitting at a desk.
No feedback (unless you want to play a FPS with a joystick?)
In general you're using a smaller monitor.
Having to deal with patches, system requirements, drivers, etc.

If all Xbox FPS's controlled as well as Halo, I'd never even have the slighest desire to play another FPS on the PC. But unfortunately they don't. Halo is just as playable with the Xbox controller as any PC FPS is with a mouse / keyboard. But you get to play it from the comfort of your living room on a big TV, with no software incompatibility worries, and with force feedback which really adds a lot to the experience.

In my opinion gaming on a console is a much more enjoyable experience overall than gaming on a PC.
Old May 8th, 2003, 12:16 PM   #16
DG

Quote:
Originally posted by The Krakken
I did.
You did what?

Noticed frame rate troubles, or played the PC version?

If it's the former, how bad is the framerate?
Old May 8th, 2003, 12:22 PM   #17
warhawk

warhawk is on a distinguished roadwarhawk is on a distinguished roadwarhawk is on a distinguished roadwarhawk is on a distinguished roadwarhawk is on a distinguished road
Games Owned: 0

WARHAWKS
I think this is a good game. The online options are very plentiful and the frame rate is fine. I only got into one laggy game last night, the other were fine. I even got into a 7 on 7 battle which was just a blast. But after about 45 min the host said he had to jet. This game has alot to offer and is well worth the money. I like the fact that the controls are customizable and you can check your friend's stats and see how they are doing.

Even the spectator mode on line is cool. you can float around like a ghost and follow people.

If you like FPS's then you will like this game.
warhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 12:33 PM   #18
MiaBran

MiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 44
Send a message via AIM to MiaBran Send a message via MSN to MiaBran Send a message via Yahoo to MiaBran
I just want to know if it's as dark as the demo. I played the demo and was kinda turned off. I couldn't really see the enemy until I was right up on him (wasn't just my tv either).

Persistence is having the same goal over and over.
MiaBran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 01:06 PM   #19
Xeo

Xeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these parts
Games Owned: 0

Xeo
Send a message via AIM to Xeo
although i've yet to have any problems with brightness... it could have something to do with singleplayer... which i have yet to play... if you're having problems with this there is an in-game brightness setting that you can adjust... should fix it...

Get Games On GamersGate.com
Xeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 02:29 PM   #20
The Krakken

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
You did what?

Noticed frame rate troubles, or played the PC version?

If it's the former, how bad is the framerate?
Online the framerate was okay, but the game would get glitchy. I am not sure what caused that. I'll try again tonight.

Offline the game runs smooth as a baby's bottom so far. Again, I haven't gotten far, but it runs easily as smooth as Halo.
Old May 8th, 2003, 02:30 PM   #21
DG

Thanks The Krakken.

Since I only care about SP, this is good news. Maybe I'll pick up the demo tonight and give it a try.
Old May 8th, 2003, 02:32 PM   #22
The Krakken

Naw....single player is good to go.
Old May 8th, 2003, 04:08 PM   #23
Shaolin

Shaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 92
Send a message via ICQ to Shaolin Send a message via Yahoo to Shaolin
Picked up my copy at lunch, I'll be on tonight.

Shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 04:24 PM   #24
Pornoslut

Pornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to all
Games Owned: 2
FYI, Best Buy is selling it for $40. I went and put down $20 on a gift card, and turned right around and used it to buy RTCW and saved $5 witt the gift card's enclosed $5 off coupon.
Old May 8th, 2003, 04:34 PM   #25
BigTime

lamegamertag
Anyone know if KayBee price matches? I've got another $40 in gift cards.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: