ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Retro Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Retro Games For the retro gamer in you, system unspecific.

Old April 30th, 2003, 06:41 AM   #1
Bingo

Bingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: CHEAP SU1T

Games Owned: 0
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via AIM to Bingo
Did anyone ever beat Streets of Rage 2 at it's highest difficulty?

I've tried off and on for 10+ years solo and with friends and I think that it's impossible. That Ultimate Warrior guy always make me use up like 5 lives and the second to last level is downright silly. This game drives me utterly insane. Those fat guys that do bitch slaps are cool as hell though haha.
Old April 30th, 2003, 09:53 AM   #2
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
I suppose I'm the only SEGA fan that doesn't like Streets of Rage.

I'll never understand what people see in Streets of Rage games. They've always seemed very shitty and generic to me. Like really ugly, highly praised Final Fights.
Old April 30th, 2003, 10:28 AM   #3
DG

DG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 28
Re: I suppose I'm the only SEGA fan that doesn't like Streets of Rage.

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeon Storm
I'll never understand what people see in Streets of Rage games. They've always seemed very shitty and generic to me. Like really ugly, highly praised Final Fights.
That's what they were. But I did have a lot of fun with the original. Then again I also had fun with "Last Battle" which was utter crap.

Here's a screen from Last Battle: Attack of the Super Pinheads

Sega in those days had a thing for heros with pinheads. Altered Beast was especially funny to watch. "Power up!" and the hero's body would get bigger but his head would still stay the same size.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 12:07 PM   #4
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Then again I also had fun with "Last Battle" which was utter crap. . .

Last Battle "utter crap"? I think not. I loved that game (not that I'm basing my opinion on that alone).

Shit, I still play Last Battle. The reason that it looks the way that it does is because it's actually "Fist of the North Star" (In fact, I think that the original Japanese version is actually called "Fist of the North Star"). Only Americans who aren't otaku don't know anything about "Fist of the North Star", or at least didn't back then.

The art style mimicks the Anime title and I'd assume that the original Japanese version follows the storyline of the series. No such attempt was make to do this with the U.S. release however.

Last Battle is a cult title for those you are/were into the Anime scene. I can understand why others wouldn't care for the title, or at the very least wouldn't appreciate it the way that Anime fans would.

Even if you don't appreciate the art direction (which is understandable whether you're a fan of the series or not) you have to admit that the game had a pretty fair level of difficulty and require you to use strategy to get though it. You could take just any route that you wanted and you had to know when to have you rage built up to advance through the later stages.

Streets of Rage was just a matter of walking doen the street and hitting people that you ("I" anyway) could barely recognize as male or female. Very little skill required. At least that's what I've found.

Last edited by Aeon Storm : April 30th, 2003 at 12:09 PM.
Aeon Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 04:27 PM   #5
PantherX20

PantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the rough

Live!: Evidence786

Games Owned: -5
DG, your picture isnt showing
PantherX20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:56 PM   #6
Aeon Storm

DG, your picture isnt showing. . .

Here it is. It's Last Battle on Genesis.
Old July 26th, 2003, 06:49 AM   #7
Bingo

Bingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond repute

The dream as come to an end. The game has finally been beaten on the hardest difficulty(co-op mode). I was down to 1/5 of a bar with no lives/continues left when I did Max's special rolling charge into the machine gun boss. My friend still had 3 lives left so we would have won anyways. The game is SUCH a bitch.
Old July 26th, 2003, 10:48 AM   #8
PantherX20

PantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the rough

Live!: Evidence786

Games Owned: -5
lemmie guess, no new ending?
PantherX20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2003, 11:32 AM   #9
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Quote:
Originally posted by Bingo
The dream as come to an end. The game has finally been beaten on the hardest difficulty(co-op mode). I was down to 1/5 of a bar with no lives/continues left when I did Max's special rolling charge into the machine gun boss. My friend still had 3 lives left so we would have won anyways. The game is SUCH a bitch.
My fav thing to do with Max was to go around and kill people using just the Atomic Drop. Especially cool on bosses, cause you can watch a whole life bar drop off every time you do it.
Old July 26th, 2003, 03:39 PM   #10
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 95
I've only rented Streets of Rage 2 on the Genesis, and never had it long enough to beat it. However I did beat Streets of Rage 2 on the GameGear. On hard too, if I'm not mistaken.
Old July 26th, 2003, 07:04 PM   #11
Bingo

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahn
My fav thing to do with Max was to go around and kill people using just the Atomic Drop. Especially cool on bosses, cause you can watch a whole life bar drop off every time you do it.
Of course. That is my favorite move as well(along with the headlock/forearm shiver combo) What you can do is get an enemy(except for a decent boss) trapped in the right corner of the screen and continue to do it until they die.

Last edited by Bingo : July 26th, 2003 at 07:07 PM.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2003, 07:06 PM   #12
Bingo

Quote:
Originally posted by PantherX20
lemmie guess, no new ending?
Of course not. The game has no cut scenes/storylines in the game except for an intro and an ending. Still one of my favorite games ever though.

Oh and Jerome....Hardest is much more difficult than hard. Add in co-op mode and the screen gets packed with enemies.

Last edited by Bingo : July 26th, 2003 at 07:08 PM.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2003, 09:52 PM   #13
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure I've beat it solo on Hard...but never Hardest. Axel is the best character...bust out that 2 jabs, uppercut combo and you're doing some really good damage. Dammit, this is making me want to bust out the DC to play.
Old July 26th, 2003, 10:33 PM   #14
Bingo

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahn
I'm pretty sure I've beat it solo on Hard...but never Hardest. Axel is the best character...bust out that 2 jabs, uppercut combo and you're doing some really good damage. Dammit, this is making me want to bust out the DC to play.
That's my only problem with the game. The Dreamcast could not handle the game and it lags REALLY bad when you fight those jet pack bosses. The game comes to a crawl.
Old July 26th, 2003, 11:14 PM   #15
Pahn

Yeah, what the hell was up with that?! That and the music and sounds are HORRIBLE. Oh well, I don't have a Genny handy (nor that game) so I'll stick with what I've got. I suppose I could emulate it, but my emulator won't work now, and my controller is crap anyway.
Old August 1st, 2003, 08:51 AM   #16
DefMATRIXense

DefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: ShadowBigBoss

Games Owned: 25
Send a message via AIM to DefMATRIXense
Yeah I beat Street of rage 1 and 2. Yeah I beat it with highest difficuity. I remember Last battle was one of my favorite video games..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: