ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Retro Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Retro Games For the retro gamer in you, system unspecific.

Old February 26th, 2003, 05:31 PM   #1
Overkill
Staff Member

Overkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Zadoc

Games Owned: 432
Games Wanted: 81
Send a message via ICQ to Overkill Send a message via AIM to Overkill Send a message via MSN to Overkill Send a message via Yahoo to Overkill
The OFFICIAL 32X thread!

I figure we need one of these. We can discuss 32X, we can talk about 32X games, why we own the damn thing, codes, trats, etc.

So, who has a 32X and what games do you have for it?

I have a 32X. I got it for my birthday the year it was released. My first two games were DOOM and Star Wars Arcade. At the time I didn't have a PC so to play DOOM on the 32X was great. Also, Star Wars Arcade is still a great two player game. I've had endless hours of fun with that great title.

In addition to DOOM and Star Wars Arcade, I have:

Knuckles Chatoix A great platformer. Not quit as good as Sonic, but close and along the same lines. I am a hudgegantic Sonic fan, so I really needed to have the gorgeous game. It plays just like the Sonic 4 demo, if anyone has that.

Virtua Racing Delux This was a good racer... It as one of the only racers that I could play and not wipe out every thiem there's a turn.

Shadow Squadron This is a PCish space shooter. Unlik Star wars you have free 360 degrees of movement. It's misson based. I guess it was an okay game at the time, but I never found it compelling enough to compleate the game. I bought the game because it looked cool in the screenshot on the side of the 32X box. It was then called Stellar Assault.

Star Trek: Star Fleet Acadamy Starship Bridge Simulator This game is kind of cool. Way better that any Trek games on Genesis or SNES. It's also really boring. Another game that I never compleated.

Metal Head I must say, I really do like this game, and not just because I am a metal head. This was one cool ass mech exerience back in the day. At the time you couldn't get a game like it one any console. Sure, much better mech games would come, but this one was a lot of fun.

32X CD games:

Fahrenheit A crapy FMV game about firefighters that makes no sence.

Corpse Killer Bad FMV light gun shooter.

Night Trap Worst game ever.

Last edited by Overkill : February 26th, 2003 at 06:19 PM.
Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2003, 07:18 PM   #2
Game Rogue
Staff Member

Game Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the rough

Live!: Virtua V
PSN: Dr_Deathsmiles

Games Owned: 2029
Games Wanted: 8
I own a fair amount of 32X carts and discs - some are even alpha/beta from my days in the VG industry.

After Burner
Corpse Killer
Cosmic Carnage
Doom
Faranheit
Knuckles Chaotix
Kolibri <- my fav 32x game)
Metalhead
NBA Jam Tournament Edition
Night Trap
Scottie Pippin: Slam City
Space Harrier
Super Motocross
Tempo
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Racing Deluxe
WWF Raw

Game Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2003, 09:49 PM   #3
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
I own:
  • After Burner - This was the second reason that I purchased the SEGA 32X add-on. One of my altime favs, this version was pretty much arcade perfect. There was some odd message that sometimes appeared across the screen when the game started. I think that it's the result of a certain pattern of button depressions.
  • Corpse Killer 32X - This is one of the worse games ever produced. But it's worth playing through half way just to hear the Jamaican guide utter that pricless nugget: "Um gone get me ma' Hummer 'dis time brah". I've so much interest invested in this game that I'm finding out for the first time that it was light gun compatable. Thanks OverKill, I honestly had NO idea.
  • Doom 32X - Worse version of Doom ever produced, or at least the worse ones that I'd ever seen anyway. This is strictly a fix for those who didn't own a PC or a 3DO (The 3DO version was actually pretty good).
  • Kalebri - I want to like this title so badly. I looked forward to this game because it was made by the same makers of the original Ecco the dolphin game I believe, but it's flat out not as good as I expected it to be. It feels unpolished, and the bird shoots bullets(?) somehow. What that's about, I have no idea.
  • Metal Head - This game is actually pretty fun when you set the communications to Anime style. It appeals to the inner otaku.
  • Night Trap 32X - I LOVE this game. I swear, I'm the only one that likes Night Trap much less loves it. Something about it. I mean, it's cheesy as hell, but I'm convinced that it's was supposed to come off that way. And the late, great Dana Plato's a hottie digitized on a 2X speed CD Rom. Instaswitch was amazing technology for it's time.
  • Shadow Squadron - I own this game and I can't think of anything to say about it. I suppose it's pretty generic and I don't think that I ever completed it.
  • Some shitty ass DP first person fighter that just plain blew.
  • Space Harrier - THIS IS THE REASON THAT I PURCHASED THE SEGA 32X. This was the first arcade quality version of Space Harrier and I'd waited almost 10 years for it. This game was/is pure SEGA Gaming bliss. I thought that Out Run would be released for the 32X, but it never did. My aim was to own a 32-bit version of Out Run Space Harrier and After Burner. My wishes were anwsered years later in the form of SEGA Saturn's 3 hit wonder "SEGA AGES".
  • Super Motocross - I've never played this game once and have little desire to ever do so. It was given to me by someone who wanted desporately to get ride of it and couldn't bring himself to toss it. I took pity on him and relieved him of this game and this gawd aweful first person fighter called something er-ruther. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten a tax break for this selfless act of charity.
  • Tempo - I actually would like this game if it wasn't so repeatitive and involved. The stages are longer then they need to be and don't hold my interest. Sort of like Virgin's "Cool Spot".
  • Virtua Fighter - Arguably better than the Sega Saturn version. I'm not kidding. I wasn't the biggest Virtua Fighter I fan, but this title was worth it for the sheer novelty of it all. It was also pretty cheap.

A few others that I don't care to think of at the moment. All and all, I like my 32X, and have never regretted the purchase. Of course I only paid $9.99 brand new. Why anyone paid $150.00 for this thing when it was initially released, is beyond me.
Old February 26th, 2003, 10:03 PM   #4
Overkill
Staff Member

Overkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to Overkill Send a message via AIM to Overkill Send a message via MSN to Overkill Send a message via Yahoo to Overkill
Quote:
Originally posted by Aeon Storm

[*]Corpse Killer 32X - This is one of the worse games ever produced. But it's worth playing through half way just to hear the Jamaican guide utter that pricless nugget: "Um gone get me ma' Hummer 'dis time brah". I've so much interest invested in this game that I'm finding out for the first time that it was light gun compatable. Thanks OverKill, I honestly had NO idea.

I am not 100% sure that you can use the light gun on it. *checks manual* Yes, it is compatible.
Old February 27th, 2003, 12:11 AM   #5
erp

erp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura about

PSN: nittynittsters

Games Owned: 180
Games Wanted: 0
I almost bought this system. A kid on my school bus told me that Sega didn't plan on supporting it for very long because they were just trying to make some money before Saturn was released. So I never did get it. Was there any good games for it?
erp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2003, 02:03 AM   #6
Overkill
Staff Member

Quote:
I own:
  • Night Trap 32X - I LOVE this game. I swear, I'm the only one that likes Night Trap much less loves it. Something about it. I mean, it's cheesy as hell, but I'm convinced that it's was supposed to come off that way. And the late, great Dana Plato's a hottie digitized on a 2X speed CD Rom. Instaswitch was amazing technology for it's time.

I'll give you 5 brownie points if you can tell me what system Night Trap was originally supposed to be released on.
Old February 27th, 2003, 09:31 AM   #7
DG

DG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 28
Yep, I own the 32x. (I own EVERY Sega system and add-on except the Game Gear, which I did own at one time.)

Favorite Games:

Virtua Racing - The first polygonal racer I owned. Very playable, and very fun.

Doom 32X - I thought it was a fairly good conversion.

Metalhead - To date it's the ONLY Mech game I've actually enjoyed playing, and that includes Mechassualt on Xbox. Something about Metalhead was very appealing. But it did wear off rather quickly.

And I think I had Corpse Killer. I hate to admit I actually liked those silly Digital Pictures games!

I still have my 32x unit, but I'm not sure what games I still have for it. I'm pretty sure I held onto Virtua Racing.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2003, 11:50 AM   #8
Game Rogue
Staff Member

Game Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by Overkill
I'll give you 5 brownie points if you can tell me what system Night Trap was originally supposed to be released on.
...NEMO originally code named "Control-Vision" was an interactive "videotape" project for Hasbro. BTW: Night Trap was originally titled "Scene of the Crime".

"The game will later be released in an uncensored version for the PC, complete with advertising lampooning the Congressional hearings and turmoil.

~net4tv"

Night trap was available on Sega CD; 32X; 3DO and PC.

Old February 27th, 2003, 12:08 PM   #9
DG

DG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 28
Sewer Shark was also originally developed for that Hasbro machine.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2003, 02:29 PM   #10
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Arrow I almost bought this system.

That's a rather liberal statment. After all, the SEGA 32X wasn't actually a system, it was just an add-on. People talk about it as if it was a stand alone product rather an appendage.

And again, Night Trap was/is awesome. Of course, I only paid $9.99 for it.
Old February 27th, 2003, 04:07 PM   #11
Shinobi128

Shinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the rough

Games Owned: 104
i have a 32x, but no games. i'll run into a brand new knuckles chaotix one of these days...
Shinobi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2003, 11:48 PM   #12
Overkill
Staff Member

Re: I almost bought this system.

Quote:
That's a rather liberal statment. After all, the SEGA 32X wasn't actually a system, it was just an add-on. People talk about it as if it was a stand alone product rather an appendage.

And again, Night Trap was/is awesome. Of course, I only paid $9.99 for it.
It was going to be a stand alone in the form of the Sega Neptune.

Old February 27th, 2003, 11:53 PM   #13
Aeon Storm

I remember the news of the unreleased Neptune. If I recall, the 32X add-on was the "Mars", wasn't it?
Old February 28th, 2003, 04:11 AM   #14
Overkill
Staff Member

Quote:
I remember the news of the unreleased Neptune. If I recall, the 32X add-on was the "Mars", wasn't it?

Correct.
Old February 28th, 2003, 11:36 AM   #15
Game Rogue
Staff Member

...and btw.... the 32X addon was not compatible with the CDX, Nomad or Genesis 3.

Old February 28th, 2003, 05:33 PM   #16
Overkill
Staff Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Game Rogue
...and btw.... the 32X addon was not compatible with the CDX, Nomad or Genesis 3.
I don't know about the Nomad, but it WAS compatible with the CDX. I know that Sega claimed that it was not compatible, but it really was.

Oh, and the Genesis 3 doesn't count, that's not a Sega product.
Old February 28th, 2003, 10:18 PM   #17
Game Rogue
Staff Member

Quote:
but it WAS compatible with the CDX
Didn't work with mine - I was told by Sega it simply wasn't compatible, so I left at that.

Old March 1st, 2003, 01:43 AM   #18
Overkill
Staff Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Game Rogue
Didn't work with mine - I was told by Sega it simply wasn't compatible, so I left at that.

The reason behind Sega saying that they weren't compatible is because they couldn't get the 32X approved by the government because when the 32X and the CDX are combined there is "increased risk for electrical shock."
Old March 1st, 2003, 08:20 AM   #19
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
As for the Neptune thing, Sega had several "planet" named products in teh works. It's beena long time since I read the article, so I'll jsut repost what I remember.

There was Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, and Neptune.

We all know what Saturn became. Jupiter was basically a cart-based Saturn. In the end, the CD-ROM device won.

Neptune was a combination Genesis/32X, with support for a Sega-CD add-on.

I forget what Mars was. I think Mars might have been the code-name for the 32-X mushroom like add-on itself.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 01:34 PM   #20
Rico Suave

Rico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud of

Live!: Karma Slave

Games Owned: 135
Send a message via AIM to Rico Suave
For my 32x I have only three games:

Knuckles Chaotix
Virtua Racing
Virtua Fighter <-- IMO the BEST 32x game ever
Old March 4th, 2003, 03:34 PM   #21
Overkill
Staff Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Exodus

I forget what Mars was. I think Mars might have been the code-name for the 32X mushroom like add-on itself.
That is correct.
Old March 20th, 2003, 06:30 PM   #22
laparka72

laparka72 is on a distinguished roadlaparka72 is on a distinguished road

Games Owned: 1
had one, took it back...didn't work! boooooooooo
Old April 9th, 2003, 01:19 AM   #23
Overkill
Staff Member

Quote:
I own:

Okay, can you please explain to me how I am supposed to know where to be and when without cheating?
Old April 10th, 2003, 12:08 PM   #24
Aeon Storm

Arrow

You have to be quick and follow the people (the vampires more so than anything) in the house regularly. The most important thing is listening for the colour code that the alarm system is set to.

That's the only completely random thing. The rest pretty much comes with experience and timing.
Old January 7th, 2005, 06:31 AM   #25
Overkill
Staff Member

AS, settle a dispute for me. Is there nudity in any version of Night Trap?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: