ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Nintendo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nintendo Changed so Game Rogue will enter

Old December 21st, 2002, 01:04 PM   #1
Mooreberg

Mooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really nice

PSN: Fahrenhype

Games Owned: 112
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via AIM to Mooreberg
Talking Metroid Prime is GOTY @ GameSpot

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/feature.../general2.html

Quote:
GameSpot's entire editorial staff unanimously agrees that Metroid Prime for the GameCube is the single greatest video game of 2002. Considering how diverse our tastes are, that ought to speak volumes. But let's elaborate, shall we?

Some of us are longtime Metroid fans who were waiting for Metroid Prime with bated breath, cynically convinced that it couldn't possibly live up to the sci-fi action adventure series' high standards. Others were more optimistic--especially since seeing the game at E3 earlier this year--but nonetheless skeptical of how the game would finally turn out. Still others have had limited exposure to previous Metroid games, and thus didn't care much for the game one way or another. Yet when we finally got our hands on Metroid Prime, the first thing we knew was that we all wanted to play it for ourselves. Sure enough, each of us has gone through the game in a somewhat different fashion and taken away a unique experience from it--yet we're all in accord about the game's incredible achievements on every level, from purely technical to artistic.

Some of us are in awe of how capably the unproven group at Retro Studios managed to capture the look and feel of the Metroid series in full 3D. Others of us actually went out and bought GameCubes and copies of the game just so we could play it for ourselves. Some of us are bent on seeing literally everything there is to see in the game, while others are going through at a leisurely pace, taking in all the richly detailed and highly imaginative settings.

At the end of the day, however, we've all had an absolute blast playing the game, and we all agree that Metroid Prime is the most original, most surprisingly good, and most remarkably designed game of the year. While each of the four nominees for our Video Game of the Year award is a remarkable and outstanding game in its own right, the one-of-a-kind, thoroughly enjoyable, and unforgettable Metroid Prime surpasses them handily. It's not a stretch to say that Metroid Prime is the best game yet in the Metroid series, nor is it unreasonable to call Metroid Prime one of the greatest games ever.
Can't argue with that.
Old December 21st, 2002, 02:44 PM   #2
Arod1983

Arod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant future

Games Owned: 22
Re: Metroid Prime is GOTY @ GameSpot

Quote:
Originally posted by Mooreberg

Can't argue with that.
Well, it's opinion, so yes it can be argued with
Arod1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2002, 03:06 PM   #3
BLaZe-Ski

BLaZe-Ski is an unknown quantity at this point

Games Owned: 37
I watched the video format, as well as read the article. One of them said, "When Grand Theft Auto: Vice City came out, we thought that this game was it. Then Metroid came out."
Currently playing: FF Tactics, Ninja Five-O, MegaMan Zero 2
BLaZe-Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2002, 04:44 PM   #4
Mooreberg

Mooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really nice

PSN: Fahrenhype

Games Owned: 112
Send a message via AIM to Mooreberg
Quote:
Originally posted by Arod1983
Well, it's opinion, so yes it can be argued with
And after they were done arguing, Metroid was chosen. YOU LOSE!!!!!
Old December 22nd, 2002, 02:40 PM   #5
Shin Egg Robo

Shin Egg Robo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Games Owned: 2
Send a message via AIM to Shin Egg Robo
Metroid is kick ass but I'm stuck at Metroid Prime. I can't beat the fucker no matter how hard I try.
Shin Egg Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2002, 04:10 PM   #6
Wolf

Wolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enough

PSN: Wolf2384

Games Owned: 245
Metroid Prime was enjoyable but I just couldn't get into it hardcore. I rented it a few times and liked exploring the Chozo Ruins.

I suppose my affinity for videogames may be wearing down.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2002, 04:13 PM   #7
Gamblor

Gamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 0
Send a message via AIM to Gamblor
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolf
Metroid Prime was enjoyable but I just couldn't get into it hardcore. I rented it a few times and liked exploring the Chozo Ruins.

I suppose my affinity for videogames may be wearing down.
or the game wasn't as good as the hype.
Gamblor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2002, 05:03 PM   #8
RZA

RZA has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Live!: Codename Wind

Games Owned: 18
Send a message via Yahoo to RZA
I think I will finally buy a GameCube at the end of this week, or Wed. Yeah, Wed. I already own SMS and MP. I have been waiting a loooooong time for Metroid to hit a Nintendo console. Will be buying Metroid Fusion and a GA too.
Next Purchase: Prince of Persia and LoK: Defiant
RZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2002, 10:13 PM   #9
Soupbones

Soupbones has much to be proud ofSoupbones has much to be proud ofSoupbones has much to be proud ofSoupbones has much to be proud ofSoupbones has much to be proud ofSoupbones has much to be proud ofSoupbones has much to be proud ofSoupbones has much to be proud ofSoupbones has much to be proud ofSoupbones has much to be proud ofSoupbones has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 19
Send a message via Yahoo to Soupbones
Gamespot staff are a bunch of crackheads who don't know what they're talking about when they write reviews. They once said that Legends of Wrestling left out Koko B Ware's "Birdman" taunt when it was in, there are tons of examples like this. They play a game for 5 minutes, speed through and write a review to get paid. If you think Metroid Prime is Game of the Year, good for you. I'm one of the people who disagree though, Sly Cooper, Splinter Cell, Ratchet and Clank, Mech Assault, Medal of Honor: Spearhead, etc.. I could think of tons more games I had more fun with.

Whatever floats your boat.

-Unknown
Soupbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2002, 10:51 PM   #10
Repeater

Repeater has much to be proud ofRepeater has much to be proud ofRepeater has much to be proud ofRepeater has much to be proud ofRepeater has much to be proud ofRepeater has much to be proud ofRepeater has much to be proud ofRepeater has much to be proud ofRepeater has much to be proud ofRepeater has much to be proud ofRepeater has much to be proud of

Live!: STEINAMO

Games Owned: 29
Games Wanted: 7
Send a message via AIM to Repeater
Yeah, you know what's funny? My favorite game this year was Battlefield 1942, and it wasn't even nominated. You don't see me posting in every fucking forum about this shit. Who gives a fuck, seriously? All of your sub par games aren't better than BF just because they were nominated and BF wasn't

-------
Brandon
Listen to The Minneapolis Henrys
Repeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2002, 11:01 PM   #11
Soupbones

Soupbones has much to be proud ofSoupbones has much to be proud ofSoupbones has much to be proud ofSoupbones has much to be proud ofSoupbones has much to be proud ofSoupbones has much to be proud ofSoupbones has much to be proud ofSoupbones has much to be proud ofSoupbones has much to be proud ofSoupbones has much to be proud ofSoupbones has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by Repeater
Yeah, you know what's funny? My favorite game this year was Battlefield 1942, and it wasn't even nominated. You don't see me posting in every fucking forum about this shit. Who gives a fuck, seriously? All of your sub par games aren't better than BF just because they were nominated and BF wasn't

Exactly, many great games weren't even nominated, it proves Gamespot's intelligence, or lack thereof. Battlefield 1942 looks amazing, I can't wait for it on Xbox. I suck at PC games, can't get the controls down so that's why I will get it on Xbox. I'm more confortable with a controller, I get slaughtered, maimed, owned, whatever you want to call it, when I play a PC game, especially FPS'.

-Unknown
Old December 22nd, 2002, 11:30 PM   #12
Bigg Russ

Bigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Bigg Russ

Games Owned: 73
Send a message via AIM to Bigg Russ Send a message via Yahoo to Bigg Russ
Bogus. They bought their award.
Old December 23rd, 2002, 01:30 AM   #13
BLaZe-Ski

BLaZe-Ski is an unknown quantity at this point

Games Owned: 37
Console games and PC games aren't judged together.
Currently playing: FF Tactics, Ninja Five-O, MegaMan Zero 2
BLaZe-Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2002, 11:39 AM   #14
Symytry

Symytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 184
Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by RZA
I think I will finally buy a GameCube at the end of this week, or Wed. Yeah, Wed. I already own SMS and MP. I have been waiting a loooooong time for Metroid to hit a Nintendo console. Will be buying Metroid Fusion and a GA too.
Metroid has never been on anything other than Nintendo Consoles... Its made by Nintendo (and Retro for MP)
Symytry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2002, 12:02 PM   #15
Rico Suave

Rico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud of

Live!: Karma Slave

Games Owned: 135
Send a message via AIM to Rico Suave
I never got in MP either. I got past the second boss and haven't picked it up since.
Old December 24th, 2002, 11:32 AM   #16
erp

erp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura about

PSN: nittynittsters

Games Owned: 180
At first i was disappointed with Metroid Prime. I was like, "Eh, this is decent, but what's all the fuss about?" I forced myself to play a little longer and the game really picked up. I'm now loving this game. It really deserves GOTY.
erp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2002, 01:02 PM   #17
Pugwash

Pugwash has a spectacular aura aboutPugwash has a spectacular aura aboutPugwash has a spectacular aura aboutPugwash has a spectacular aura aboutPugwash has a spectacular aura aboutPugwash has a spectacular aura aboutPugwash has a spectacular aura aboutPugwash has a spectacular aura aboutPugwash has a spectacular aura aboutPugwash has a spectacular aura aboutPugwash has a spectacular aura about

Live!: MrJ

Games Owned: 67
I'm the same as erp. I was a little unsure of the game at first, but I am loving every moment of it now. Top game.
Pugwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2002, 02:47 PM   #18
Repeater

Repeater has much to be proud ofRepeater has much to be proud ofRepeater has much to be proud ofRepeater has much to be proud ofRepeater has much to be proud ofRepeater has much to be proud ofRepeater has much to be proud ofRepeater has much to be proud ofRepeater has much to be proud ofRepeater has much to be proud ofRepeater has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by Soupbones
Exactly, many great games weren't even nominated, it proves Gamespot's intelligence, or lack thereof. Battlefield 1942 looks amazing, I can't wait for it on Xbox. I suck at PC games, can't get the controls down so that's why I will get it on Xbox. I'm more confortable with a controller, I get slaughtered, maimed, owned, whatever you want to call it, when I play a PC game, especially FPS'.
I though I already explained to you that it won't be any good on XBOX. Seriously, the amount of commands I enter at once while still moving and dodging bullets CANNOT be duplicated on ANY controller, XBOX or otherwise.

-------
Brandon
Old December 25th, 2002, 05:19 PM   #19
Symytry

Symytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud ofSymytry has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 184
Arrow

I as seriously skeptical about the game being a FPS since I hate the type of game, and although the control is somewhat laking...the game is simply amazing. Better than Halo. Truly deserves game of the year.
Symytry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2002, 07:08 PM   #20
Soupbones

Well that's your opinion Repeater, and you're entitled to it. However I do believe that if they used both joysticks, the 4 d-pad buttons, A, B, X, Y, White, Black, both triggers, start and the back button the layout would be pretty decent. Not to mention clicking in both analog sticks. All in all I think it'll do just fine.

-Unknown
Old December 25th, 2002, 11:10 PM   #21
Viper
Administrator

Viper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: JayCCity
Steam: jaycc

Games Owned: 689
Games Wanted: 64
Send a message via ICQ to Viper Send a message via AIM to Viper Send a message via Yahoo to Viper
Quote:
All in all I think it'll do just fine
Not if you had to play against a good keyboard/mouse player.

It'd be like the Socom commercial.
Old December 26th, 2002, 12:06 AM   #22
Imashroom

Imashroom will become famous soon enoughImashroom will become famous soon enoughImashroom will become famous soon enoughImashroom will become famous soon enoughImashroom will become famous soon enoughImashroom will become famous soon enoughImashroom will become famous soon enoughImashroom will become famous soon enoughImashroom will become famous soon enoughImashroom will become famous soon enough

Live!: Puntificator

Games Owned: 0
Viper, you're still on that mouse/keyboard kick, and seem to miss the whole point (unless you are just posting to provoke). Rather than continue to argue the relative merits of a gamepad versus a mouse/keyboard, let's grant the superiority of the keyboard/mouse. So? Your argument is analogous to my saying I can beat you in a bicycle race, and your responding with "Not if I use a motorcycle." If Battlefield 1942 is released on the Xbox, then everyone will be using bicycles (a gamepad) and not a motorcycle (keyboard/mouse setup). So the keyboard/mouse superiority will be irrelevant, and there is no need to keep recycling your argument. What the text calling itself Repeater alleges is of a different order. It keeps saying in essence that the game cannot be properly played on an Xbox using a gamepad, because of the simultaneity of certain actions (as when tossing grenades). As I've said before, this is a design problem. The game and the input configuration were designed for a PC. These can be modified in design for an Xbox gamepad and its buttons. This is not a pressing issue...
Old December 26th, 2002, 12:51 AM   #23
Shin Egg Robo

Shin Egg Robo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Games Owned: 2
Send a message via AIM to Shin Egg Robo
MP is good and I'm at the end but I don't have the urge to beat it. I don't care if I see Samus' head when she takes off her helmet. Today I got Mario and I'm 22 shines in. I probably played it for 5 hours today so I got those 22 shines in 5 hours. Tomorrow though I'm getting Super Monkey Ball, Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO, and pay off my SOA pre-order. Although those two games will have to wait as I don't think I will play another game until I beat SMS. Then I got RE, Nightfire, THPS4, and the last bit of MP to play.
Shin Egg Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2002, 02:11 AM   #24
Repeater

Soupy, you just don't understand. Part of the appeal and atmosphere of the game is that you can radio communicate between teammates. I can be yelling commands out or making requests over the radio while firing on an enemy while walking and strafing and jumping then bust out grenades and go right back to my rifle. Even with the XBL headset (although I have no idea if it will support it) it won't be quite the same experience.

-------
Brandon
Old December 27th, 2002, 12:43 PM   #25
Soupbones

Well I don't give a shit if it will be the same or not, the PC is the melting-pot for all that is First Person Shooting games, PC always gets the best FPS games, it's like a law of nature. There's no limit to what can be done because the PC is vastly more powerful than any console, plus there's way more buttons and whatnot for game functions. I'm just wanting to play it, EA said the graphics of the Xbox version will surpass that of it's PC counterpart in an OXM interview, somehow I doubt this. I say the graphics will be up-to-par with the PC but not surpassing it by any means.

I just want to play the damn thing as I said, and I suck at PC games, too many buttons, all the practice in the world couln't help me shoot my way out of a nutsack. So while I'm sure the PC version is the better of the 2, I think the Xbox version will hold it's own on the console FPS front.

-Unknown

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: