ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Sony
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sony They've led sales in the last console generation and are working on the next with the PS3. Will that and the PSP keep them moving at the top of the pack? Discuss it here.

Old August 9th, 2002, 07:36 PM   #1
PantherX20

PantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the rough

Live!: Evidence786

Games Owned: -5
Games Wanted: 0
Purchasing A PSOne

I seriously want -

Strider 2
Xenogears
Final Fantasy 7 and 9
Metal Gear Solid

And can get one at funcoland for $35...what are some other games(preferably RPG's) that i should get...?
PantherX20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2002, 07:47 PM   #2
PantherX20

PantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the rough

arg how could i forget Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and Megaman????
Old August 9th, 2002, 07:58 PM   #3
Bigg Russ

Bigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Bigg Russ

Games Owned: 73
Send a message via AIM to Bigg Russ Send a message via Yahoo to Bigg Russ
Quote:
Originally posted by PantherX20
arg how could i forget Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and Megaman????

Ummm... because they suck?

Just a thought.
Old August 9th, 2002, 09:27 PM   #4
Groo the Wanderer

Groo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 44
Bigg Russ, are you retarded? Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is one of the best PSOne games ever. Some would say the best.
Groo the Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2002, 10:40 PM   #5
Arod1983

Arod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant future

Games Owned: 22
Quote:
Originally posted by Groo the Wanderer
Bigg Russ, are you retarded? Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is one of the best PSOne games ever. Some would say the best.
I saw that game at EB in the used game section for $34.99! Great game though
Arod1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2002, 12:01 AM   #6
jasn3

jasn3 will become famous soon enoughjasn3 will become famous soon enoughjasn3 will become famous soon enoughjasn3 will become famous soon enoughjasn3 will become famous soon enoughjasn3 will become famous soon enough

Games Owned: 238
Send a message via ICQ to jasn3 Send a message via AIM to jasn3 Send a message via Yahoo to jasn3
Here's my commentary, if you're interested.

Strider 2 - This is a fantastic double pack. Both games are EXTREMELY arcadey, though, so unless you're one of those high-score-seeking types, don't expect to spend too much time with this set.

Xenogears - After all the praise it got, I really tried to like this one, but 10 hours in, I could barely stay awake. I don't know that I'll ever bother trying this one out again.

Final Fantasy 7 - See above, except substitute "25" for "10." The characters in this game are a joke, the story isn't interesting at all, and the battle/leveling systems aren't exciting enough to justify playing or owning this game.

Final Fantasy 9 - Another FF that I couldn't make it through, but at least it wasn't as serious as FFVII. I appreciated its light tone, but maybe things were a bit too light, ultimately. I didn't walk away from this one feeling especially bored or annoyed, but I just stopped playing one day and never got around to continuing. Not a BAD game, but nothing really amazing, either.

Metal Gear Solid - This is a really neat game all around, but I can't stand the way it controls. It does have amazing production values, though, and if you like the way it plays, you're in for a fun ride, from what I've seen. I enjoyed watching my friend play through part of it the other day. I'm not likely to play it ever again, myself.

Castlevania: SotN - Awesome stuff. The best platformer on PSX, I think. Great art, huge areas to explore, the works.

MegaMan - (which one?)

Now for my recommendations.

If you want RPGs, I have more than a few high recommendations, but keep in mind that I'm an SRPG nut, so I'll call those out more than the usual non-SRPGs.

Front Mission 3 - This is a fantastic game all around. The story is interesting, it has two viewpoints to play through (sort of "what if?" scenarios passing over the same timeline), the characters are great, it has GIANT ROBOTS (whose parts you can switch around and customize), and it's an SRPG. I think as an SRPG, it falls short of the mark set by Final Fantasy Tactics, but as an all-around game, I think it's better. No PSX gamer should be without this one.

Valkyrie Profile - I just got started on this game the other day, but it's an extremely cool platformer/RPG. The concepts are interesting, and you won't be able to just pick it up and play it like most traditional RPGs. I don't know how much it is or how hard it is to find, but it's well worth trying out, at least.

Final Fantasy VIII - The only FF game on PSX (barring FFT, which isn't really part of the series) that I could bring myself to finish. More than that, once I got past the relatively slow start, I was absolutely hooked, and I didn't even get into the card game. There is a lot to do in this game, the story is solid and interesting for the most part, barring one horrifyingly stupid "twist," and the junction/draw system is very cool. I highly, HIGHLY recommend this over FFVII or FFIX.

Final Fantasy Tactics - The greatest SRPG I've ever played. The gameplay in the battles themselves is complemented nicely by the job system. The graphics are great if you're into that classic big-head look that RPGs in the 16-bit days had... they have a similar feel, but are a lot more polished. The story is convoluted, and that's being polite, but the gameplay and graphics push the story into the background anyway, for me. This is easy to find on Greatest Hits, and shouldn't cost more than $14.99 new. Not for everyone, and not a must-have unless you like SRPG or strategy games in general, but a no-brainer if you do.

Suikoden - The only game out there that I've played that's anything like Suikoden is Suikoden II. It's a very unique RPG, with great characters, a nice story arc, and pretty cool art. Don't let the cover chase you away. It has some niggling techical faults, but it's an old game, and the good far outweighs the bad.

Suikoden II - This takes everything that was wrong with Suikoden, in the way of minor interface quirks and some loading, and comes back with better stuff all around. On top of that, the art has a much more cohesive look to it, the graphics are better, the story is even more poignant... it's an awesome RPG, an awesome game. Definitely a must-have for any RPG fan.

Tenchu: Stealth Assassins - I personally liked the way this game handled stealth much more than MGS. It has only passable graphics, and truly horrendous voice acting (which is entertaining in a comedic sense, if you're into that sort of thing), but the gameplay is here in spades. It's loads of fun to go leaping from rooftop to rooftop, drop a poisoned rice ball in front of a guard, land behind him and slit his throat, pick up your rice ball, and be back on the roof before anyone else knows what happened. I have the sequel, as well, but I haven't played it, so I can only comment on how great this first one is. This is another that's on Greatest Hits, it shouldn't be more than $19.99 anywhere you go, brand new.

The Unholy War - The makers of Archon and Star Control bring you... well, Archon + Star Control, really. It's a sorely underrated title with a lot of value as a 2p game, if you can find someone else who's willing to overlook the mostly-dodgy character designs. This isn't hard to find, and it's about $9.99 most places.

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo - My favorite block-dropper, no question. A bit difficult to find, especially new, but well worth picking up, especially if you're a fan of the SF-style games or Capcom's art in general.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - Assuming you don't have a DC or that version (which is much nicer to look at, and cheaper, if you can find it anymore), don't miss this game. One way or another, do not miss it. This is by far the best adventure game ever made. The storyline is interesting, the locations you'll make your way through are varied and well-designed, the boss battles are especially entertaining, and on top of all the rich atmosphere and artwork, it has a very cool Megaman-style angle to it. You get the powers of the bosses you defeat, which opens up access to new areas, and lets you into places you could only look at before. The Dumah fight is the very best boss fight I've ever played in any game, ever. It's a brilliant concept, executed perfectly, and the game is absolutely LOADED with stuff like that.

RayStorm - A top-down shooter with a 2p co-op mode, great graphics, and a fair amount of challenge. Lock on to enemies in the distance and fire all your guns at once. Pick between two ships, etc. Good stuff.

R-Type Delta - A side-scroller, pick between 3 distinct ships and enjoy 3D graphics with classic R-Type play mechanics. A toss-up between this and Einhander, but I think you'll have an easier time finding this one.

Well, my games are boxed up, for the most part, but these are a few of my favorites, off the top of my head.

"In my mind's eye, I can picture her contorting like a harlot, but whenever I talk to her, she just smiles and rings up my soda."
jasn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2002, 01:13 AM   #7
Mooreberg

Mooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really nice

PSN: Fahrenhype

Games Owned: 112
Send a message via AIM to Mooreberg
Talking Mooreberg sez:

I still really want to purchase a PSOne/Mobile Monitor combo, but the money would be better spent on a Gamecube at this point. But as far as PlayStation games go, you'll be swimming in them:

Tenchu - 'nuff said.

Resident Evil 2 - Easily the best RE on the system, and it still gets my vote as the best ever, at least until RE0 comes out in November. It has a perfect mix of action/combat, puzzles, and story. Playing through the game with each character (Claire and Leon) is actually worth it. And the great part is that after you've beaten the game with a character, an alternate game B is unlocked for the other character. "The 4th Survivor" absolutely kicks ass as well. Since from what I've seen, the GC version is a straight port, it would be worth it to get this one for less. Either way, get this game. It's everything a "survival horror" games is supposed to be.

Tekken 3 - The best fighting game on the system, hands down.

Metal Gear Solid - If you haven't played it yet, it's a must.

Ridge Racer Type 4 - Best arcade racer on the system.

Square RPGs - Don't even ask. I've got FF7, FF8, FF9, and Chrono Chross but have only played a small part of FF7. RPGs are too time consuming...

Medal Of Honor - Great WW2 FPS

Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver - Great story, great gameplay, and it doesn't hurt that it was the most technically impressive game of the previous generation. Monstrous worlds that you can morph at the touch of a button. Sweet, sweet game.

Ape Escape - Best platform game ever. 'Nuff said.

Grand Theft Auto 2 - If you didn't play it on Dreamcast, pick it up for $10 new. So low-tech, but so much fun.

Crash Team Racing Incredibly fun cart racing game. This is what Super Mario Kart always should have been.

Syphon Filter - The "MGS Clone" that ended up being a great game. Frying fuckers with the tazer never gets old. I haven't played the sequels, but I imagine they're pretty good too.

NBA Shootout '98 - Best Hoops Game of the previous generation

NFL Gameday '99 - Best Pigskin Game of the previous generation (WTF happened to 989?)

I could go on, but this is enough for now. I didn't get PlayStation until March of 1998 (could not resist RE2... stupid Saturn) and I've got a stack of games. There really isn't a single area where you can't find a classic title.

Best of all, the can all be had for $10 - $20 new. I know for a fact that Ape Escape is only $14.99 at KayBee. GET IT! and join myself and Groo in waiting in agony for the sequel.

Other than that, if you see that a game you want is $20 everywhere, use the $5 off coupons in EGM to get them for $15 at Best Buy.

Now get spending!
Old August 10th, 2002, 06:57 AM   #8
Bigg Russ

Bigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by Groo the Wanderer
Bigg Russ, are you retarded?
I may be... 'cause that shit bored me to tears. And it definitely ISN'T the best PSX game ever released.
Old August 11th, 2002, 01:02 PM   #9
Shaolin

Shaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 92
Send a message via ICQ to Shaolin Send a message via Yahoo to Shaolin
I'd recommend:

1. Soul Edge
2. Colony Wars and/or its sequel
3. Syphon Filter
4. FF7........ "eff" the critics, I enjoyed the heck outta this game.

FF Tactics will have you asleep in no time.

Shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2002, 10:08 PM   #10
jasn3

jasn3 will become famous soon enoughjasn3 will become famous soon enoughjasn3 will become famous soon enoughjasn3 will become famous soon enoughjasn3 will become famous soon enoughjasn3 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to jasn3 Send a message via AIM to jasn3 Send a message via Yahoo to jasn3
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaolin
FF Tactics will have you asleep in no time.
I don't know if I necessarily agree with that, but I will say that if you haven't played a simpler SRPG first, like maybe Shining Force III or Vanguard Bandits, FFT could be overwhelming to the point where you feel as though it can't possibly be worth figuring out.

"In my mind's eye, I can picture her contorting like a harlot, but whenever I talk to her, she just smiles and rings up my soda."
Old August 11th, 2002, 11:03 PM   #11
Bigg Russ

FF Tactics was my first and I loved it. Never finished it, but I loved what I played.
Old August 12th, 2002, 01:49 AM   #12
jasn3

What kept you from finishing it?

Old August 12th, 2002, 01:58 AM   #13
Bigg Russ

Quote:
Originally posted by jasn3
What kept you from finishing it?
Time. And newer games.
Old August 12th, 2002, 06:44 PM   #14
MaesterMatthew

MaesterMatthew has a reputation beyond reputeMaesterMatthew has a reputation beyond reputeMaesterMatthew has a reputation beyond reputeMaesterMatthew has a reputation beyond reputeMaesterMatthew has a reputation beyond reputeMaesterMatthew has a reputation beyond reputeMaesterMatthew has a reputation beyond reputeMaesterMatthew has a reputation beyond reputeMaesterMatthew has a reputation beyond reputeMaesterMatthew has a reputation beyond reputeMaesterMatthew has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 86
Wait a flippin minute, why not just get a PS2? It plays all them games plus PS2 games. Why am I the first to say this? BTW if you are looking for PS1 games, Metal Gear Solid is golden! Get that shit and then the Syphon Filter games, they're good too.
MaesterMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 01:32 PM   #15
PantherX20

oh ok ill just get a playstation 2 cause i do have an extra $200 in my wallet...
Old August 13th, 2002, 01:35 PM   #16
sven

sven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 15
Send a message via ICQ to sven Send a message via AIM to sven
Suikoden
Suikoden 2
Tenchu
Old August 13th, 2002, 09:17 PM   #17
MaesterMatthew

MaesterMatthew has a reputation beyond reputeMaesterMatthew has a reputation beyond reputeMaesterMatthew has a reputation beyond reputeMaesterMatthew has a reputation beyond reputeMaesterMatthew has a reputation beyond reputeMaesterMatthew has a reputation beyond reputeMaesterMatthew has a reputation beyond reputeMaesterMatthew has a reputation beyond reputeMaesterMatthew has a reputation beyond reputeMaesterMatthew has a reputation beyond reputeMaesterMatthew has a reputation beyond repute

If ya have an extra fifty and then all this money for games, you should have almost 200. If not, then just keep savin.
Old August 13th, 2002, 11:54 PM   #18
jasn3

He does have a point, you know. You should be able to find a used PS2 for something a bit under the new price, and that gets a DVD player as well as access to plenty of decent PS2 budget titles. Not to mention fast loading and texture smoothing for a fair number of PS1 games.

Old August 14th, 2002, 10:32 AM   #19
MaesterMatthew

Quote:
Originally posted by jasn3
He does have a point, you know. You should be able to find a used PS2 for something a bit under the new price, and that gets a DVD player as well as access to plenty of decent PS2 budget titles. Not to mention fast loading and texture smoothing for a fair number of PS1 games.
See? If you go to sites like EBgames.com and GameStop.com, they have good deals on used, somewhere around 160-170 methinks.
Old August 14th, 2002, 10:53 PM   #20
PantherX20

But i already have a dvd player on my computer...and a gamecube...im not looking to stockpile my psx with tons of games...im just looking for a select few..and want everything cheap. I can get a psone for about $35 and those other games cheap too...in the long run, ps2 will cost alot more
Old August 15th, 2002, 01:40 PM   #21
MaesterMatthew

Quote:
Originally posted by PantherX20
But i already have a dvd player on my computer...and a gamecube...im not looking to stockpile my psx with tons of games...im just looking for a select few..and want everything cheap. I can get a psone for about $35 and those other games cheap too...in the long run, ps2 will cost alot more
Ohhhh, you got a gamecube. I would save that money, cuz there're about 5 or so great titles coming out this fall/winter for the cube. You'll need some cash for them...
Old March 18th, 2004, 12:06 PM   #22
Shin Egg Robo X

Shin Egg Robo X has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Games Owned: 23
I'm going to bump this one up from the grave since I just got a PS One. I'm not getting another PS2 because right now they are expensive and I think I'm going to get PS3 instead which I bet will be backwards compatible with PS2 games. So I'll get my PS2 games then.

The list of games I own:

Bomberman Party Edition
Dance Dance Revolution Konamix
Final Fantasy Anthology
Front Mission 3
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
R4: Ridge Racer Type 4
Tekken 3
Xenogears

I got MSH vs SF because I don't care if its arcade perfect or not. Its a fun game so damn it, I'm going to enjoy it. Some PS One games I want:

Chrono Cross
Dance Dance Revolution
Darkstalkers 3
Einhander (I won't pay more than $30 for it)
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy Chronicles
Final Fantasy Tactics
Mega Man X4
Mega Man X6
Metal Slug X
R-Type Delta (see Einhander)
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Strider 2
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (see Einhander...again)
Tekken 2
Vagrant Story
X-Men vs. Street Fighter

Most of those games can pretty much be had for $15 or less so that is good. In fact, I probably won't pay any more than $15 for those games.
Shin Egg Robo X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 01:41 PM   #23
scottt

scottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to all

Games Owned: 930
Good luck finding Metal Slug X for $15.
scottt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 01:56 PM   #24
Shin Shinobi Ryo

Shin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura aboutShin Shinobi Ryo has a spectacular aura about

Live!: Drifter Sengen
PSN: drifter_sengen

Games Owned: 985
Games Wanted: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Shin Shinobi Ryo
Quote:
Originally posted by scottt
It's possible. You just have to look. I went into a Gamestop last month and found a brand new copy for $19.99.
Shin Shinobi Ryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 02:36 PM   #25
Shin Egg Robo X

Shin Egg Robo X has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Games Owned: 23
Quote:
Originally posted by scottt
I found it at this one game store for $10 and had at least two copies. I would have purchased it but right now I got $500 to last from now until mid May and that includes maybe $100 for additional school supplies (hopefully not), a 3 month pass to a gym, food, gas, and car insurance. I'll have enough but I can wait on it. Plus I played the hell out of it when I had it on the Neo Geo emulator.

$30 is my limit for the really hard to find games that are used that come with the manual and case intact. I want Einhander but if it costs $40 at the cheapest, then I can live without it. I wish I never sold it in the first place (when it came out back in the day) but thats life.

Edit: I want to get Soul Blade too for its epic sountrack and the hilarious attempt at grass moving with the wind. I know Soul Calibur is better but this game is damn good too.

Last edited by Shin Egg Robo X : March 18th, 2004 at 02:44 PM.
Shin Egg Robo X is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: