ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Sony
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sony They've led sales in the last console generation and are working on the next with the PS3. Will that and the PSP keep them moving at the top of the pack? Discuss it here.

Old June 14th, 2002, 09:46 AM   #1
Shin Egg Robo

Shin Egg Robo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Games Owned: 2
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via AIM to Shin Egg Robo
Gran Turismo 3 and Red Faction kick ass

I got these games yesterday. I was going to type impressions yesterday but well, once I had to get off because I wanted to eat. Anyway, I got both for $15 each on PS2 and wow, both games are very kick ass.

Gran Turismo 3

I've had very little exposure to the GT series. I only rented the first. I liked it but I lacked the funds to buy the game. Because I owned a DC only, I completely skipped over part 2. Gran Turismo 3 has some of the most amazing graphics on a video game. After seeing games like Project Gotham and Rallisport in motion, GT3 looks just as good as them, if not better. But its common knowledge that GT3's graphics kick ass so I will bypass this little part. I like the soundtrack as well. I like Lenny Kravitz myself so I like how his song is played often (because of the priority I have it) Dogg's Turismo 3 sucks; Snoop Dogg IMO is washed up and should just give up the rap game altogether.

I picked the Chrysler PT Cruiser out of the initial bunch. Why? I read it off of a review that it was the best (I think it was either Gamerweb, PS2 IGN, or PSX2.com) and even on the beginnner races, its hard. Slam into the wall, you better make sure that your car has some kick ass acceleration or else you could drop down a few positions. As a result, my win percentage is just 36% but thats fine. Slowly, my PT Cruiser has been souped up and for some reason, I liked this aspect. My PT Cruiser now is at 207 HP, which is a lot from I think the initial was 130 HP or so. I love this game. Its tough and often times it takes me 5-6 tries until I get the gold. I don't mind because you get money anyway. I like it when its hard but its not impossible to do, yet its fun all the time.

To sum it up, I felt like $15 was too little for this masterpiece but I don't care. I am both impressed by the sheer depth of this game and I am also pissed that other racing games are so limited compared to this game. I did a race in arcade mode. So far I'm at a whopping 1.1% completion.

Red Faction

With Red Faction, I was not sure how I'd like it. I never heard any review ever talk about how the single player is. Well, I'm glad that the single player is here and its quite long. The first time playing it, I got pissed because I had no weapons. Everyone was shooting and clubbing me and I couldn't do anything about it. Well, I quit to play more GT3. The second time around, I heard the first conversation at the beginning of the level. I got the baton and slowly, I got more weapons. The game started to get fun although it was a little too dark. There was glare due to the sun. Good thing I had auto aim enabled, even though it aims at the chest.

I have yet to beat the first level and so far, the first level so far has probably lasted 30-40 minutes. The level is fucking huge. I haven't really fucked around with the Geo Mod much because there are enough goons for me to kill so I'm occupied doing other things. The controls took some getting used to (I forgot that R1 also can switch to the weapon you selected on the menu) but I pretty much mastered it. I also found out that well, you need to do the training course first before you get into the main game. Its not a necessity but some of the features like climbing fences will be important.

Bottom line is that Red Faction is surprisingly kick ass. I heard nothing but good things about it but at the time of the PS2, shit games like Bouncer were getting some good scores as well. Plus I was not sure how the single player would be, since there is only one PS2 controller in the house and I don't think any of my friends own this game either. Get the PS2 or PC version definitely.

Final Thoughts

These two games and how cheap they were, yet such in high quality makes me glad I got a PS2 instead of a Xbox or a Game Cube. I also think that TTT, RF, and GT3 made me kind of disappointed in the DC in some ways. It just seems that most DC games lacked the finesse that PS2 games had. They may be good in gameplay but some of the games were really limited and flawed, even from Sega. Anyway, PS2 kicks ass and I'm glad I bought it.
Shin Egg Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2002, 10:17 AM   #2
scottt

scottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to all

Games Owned: 930
Actually, the PT cruiser isn't the best choice.

Everything on the GH label is worth getting.

How do you like TTT so far? I think it's a great game. Tekken bowling is fun to cool down after a few 2 player fights.

Other games well worth getting:

Devil May Cry
Armored Core 2
Jack and Dexter
NBA Street
scottt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2002, 11:30 AM   #3
Shin Egg Robo

Tekken Tag is a very good game. I've loved the game since it hit arcades in 1999. I got very good with True Ogre and Eddy. Thanks to the Practice mode, I really started to brush up on my True Ogre skills. I'm finding new moves that I didn't know before. I don't think there is any flaws to the game at all except for some very minor clipping. Bowling is very fun although it became extremely easy once I realized you do not move at all from the spot you are in. If you get it in the middle and has a high power, you will get strikes every time. My highest is 274 with Nina and Jun. I messed up on my aiming a couple of times. Overall, TTT is probably the best Tekken out in the US. Tekken 4 comes out in August; I will probably own the game the first day it comes out. I can't wait.

It doesn't matter if the PT Cruiser sucked because I got it souped up to the point where it can win golds most of the time. I just got the second upgrade of the lighter frame, which made racing 10x easier. I will probably upgrade it to the max and then buy a Lancer EVO, which I heard from another board was a good car to get. I have yet to even try doing any of the license challenges. I was going to do the B License but I'd rather race against other players, not against a hard challenge. I got to work later today so I really can't spend all my time playing GT3. Its very addicting though.

Devil May Cry was $27.99 at EB used. I was contemplating getting it when I seen some kid take the box and got the only used copy they had. Damn. Jak and Daxter is a game I want. I just want a good platformer that doesn't rest fully on collecting bananas/stars/lums/etc. It sounds like its more mission based gameplay, which is good. I understand there will be some collecting but hopefully not to the extent as Jet Force Gemini, Donkey Kong 64, or Maximo. I should check out NBA Street because given how old it is, I bet I can find a cheap copy. The next two games I will probably get are Harvest Moon 3 and either Ico or Kessen. Then I will get either Ico or Kessen the next time (whatever one I did not get) and Kessen 2. Too many good games to get, not enough time and money.
Old June 14th, 2002, 02:50 PM   #4
DudeMan

DudeMan will become famous soon enoughDudeMan will become famous soon enoughDudeMan will become famous soon enoughDudeMan will become famous soon enoughDudeMan will become famous soon enoughDudeMan will become famous soon enoughDudeMan will become famous soon enoughDudeMan will become famous soon enoughDudeMan will become famous soon enoughDudeMan will become famous soon enough

Live!: Magellan42

Games Owned: 39
Get the Logitech Driving Force wheel (blue grips) or Logitech Formula Force GP wheel (red grips) for GT3. You will thank me later.

And pick up Aggressive Inline while you're at it.
DudeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2002, 03:24 PM   #5
sven

sven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 15
Send a message via ICQ to sven Send a message via AIM to sven
I found Agressive Inline to be pretty suck even for a sucky genre. They might as well have them riding around on a rocking horse cuz it sure didnt feel like rollerblades.
Old June 14th, 2002, 03:52 PM   #6
DudeMan

DudeMan will become famous soon enoughDudeMan will become famous soon enoughDudeMan will become famous soon enoughDudeMan will become famous soon enoughDudeMan will become famous soon enoughDudeMan will become famous soon enoughDudeMan will become famous soon enoughDudeMan will become famous soon enoughDudeMan will become famous soon enoughDudeMan will become famous soon enough

Oh well.

Who cares if it felt like rollerblades or not? I don't give a fuck what it feels like personally because the game is fun as hell. I guess if you wanted it to be realistic and be like actual rollerblading then yeah, I guess its not your thing.
Old June 14th, 2002, 11:46 PM   #7
Shin Egg Robo

The wheel sounds expensive. Anyway, what Evo car should I buy?
Old June 15th, 2002, 12:02 AM   #8
Mooreberg

Mooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really nice

PSN: Fahrenhype

Games Owned: 112
Send a message via AIM to Mooreberg
Talking Yup!

Red Faction and GT3 certainly do kick ass.

I don't know what possesed me to get DOA2: Hardcore when I first got PlayStation 2 (probably that I just rented the DC one but didn't have my cable modem...), but I traded it in for $20 credit (!) at EB because they were stupid enough to charge $40 for a used copy. Now they're only $25.00 used. There goes EB's profit margin... Before long I'll be able to pick up a new copy for $10 at Best Buy or something.

I just used that credit the other day on MOH: Frontline, which fucking kicks ass.

I just got Tekken Tag Tournament in the mail today. This is the game I SHOULD have gotten with my PS2. All the DOA games are all style and no substance.

TTT looks gorgeous through S-Video on my Panasonic Tau.

I put my Sharkport save on my Memory Card (how do you get rid of the Sharkport logo on the save and have the regular icon on it?) and have all the characters and modes unlocked from when I rented it last January. I could have sworn that I had all the ending movies unlocked too but I guess I don't. I guess that's just another incentive to keep playing.

I cannot fucking wait for Tekken 4. It's gonna kick ass!

Ok enough rambling... carry on...
Old June 15th, 2002, 12:41 AM   #9
DudeMan

I bought an Evo VII as my second car.

I recommend screwing that though and getting a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Turbo... MUCH more potential (1000+hp) and it's still 4WD.

The wheel is $99 but I saw it at FYE for $59.99 on sale. I was so tempted to get it but by the time my brother wants his wheel back I will be through with GT3.
Old June 15th, 2002, 02:12 AM   #10
Syndicate

Syndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud of

Live!: Syn Zero
PSN: SynZero-00

Games Owned: 473
Games Wanted: 4
...the PT Cruiser is a horrible first choice, the Trueno or MX-5 are much better choices. Also I would stick w/the Lancer Evo, it's lighter than the GTO and a much better handler overall.

"There's one party in Washington. It's the party of money."
David Cay. Johnston

"...forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead."
Phil 3:13

Current Game Rotation - Forza Horizon 3, Forza Motorsport 6, Firewatch, Halo:MCC XB1 | Phantasy Star 360 | PS3 | The Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda, Guacamelee: STCE Wii U
Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2002, 04:38 AM   #11
hermes

hermes will become famous soon enoughhermes will become famous soon enoughhermes will become famous soon enoughhermes will become famous soon enoughhermes will become famous soon enoughhermes will become famous soon enough

Live!: GUMABON

Games Owned: 9
GT3 made you a bit dissapointed in the Dreamcast?? Huh?

I'll take F355 gameplay in the long run tho.
Old June 15th, 2002, 07:31 AM   #12
Sakura

Sakura is on a distinguished roadSakura is on a distinguished road

Games Owned: 0
The reason you haven't finished level 1 in RF is because there is no level 2. The entire game is one big level, there are no breaks in the story. It's pretty cool.

I am glad someone else here loves TTT. Until I got my T4 a month ago it was my favorite PS2 game. You played 4 at the arcade? I can't stand to go back to TTT now, no walls, no Fox & Marduk, no sidewalk....it's so primative. Just could not wait for August, had to import.

Ever been to Tekkenzaibatsu.com? It's the place for the US Tekken community. If you really want to get into the game and see the kind of depth it has you should check out the forums and the FAQs they offer.
Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2002, 10:06 AM   #13
Shin Egg Robo

Yes, I played Tekken 4 in the arcade. It was surprisingly hard as I lost in the third round. I agree, it will seem hard to go back to TTT where there is no boundaries. Next month, I'm probably going to pre-order at EB for my copy because it may be in August and I will barely make any money because of football and eventually school. Can't wait until 4 comes out. I have been to Tekkenzaibatsu.com a few times but this was many months before I had a PS2 and had Tekken 2 and 3 on my emulator.

I guess maybe the PT Cruiser was not the best choice but I got it powerful enough to where it can win just about every race it can. Right now, I got all golds on the first three cups in Beginner and now I'm doing the Stars and Stripes. Its pretty tough so I think the time has come for me basically to start saving up for another car so I can do more cups. I don't really want to sell my PT Cruiser though, not after all the tuning up I did with it. Does the car get a higher value if you add everything onto it? I noticed in the Garage, its value was just $4,500 even though I bought well over $10,000 worth of goods to tune it up with. I may check out a FAQ at GameFAQs. Anyway, I'm loving the game.

What I mean by being disappointed in the DC is that GT3 is just so in depth. I've played a few DC racers like Sega Rally 2 or Sega GT and its so surprising to see how GT3 obliterates these two games. Maybe it doesn't obliterate Rally 2. I just noticed that most of the DC games lack the completeness so to speak that the PS2 games have. Everything just seemed so bare bones on the system. I don't know, I just feel like GT3, TTT, and RF are the best games I've played in a couple of years.
Old June 15th, 2002, 10:10 AM   #14
Syndicate

Syndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud of

Lightbulb Hmmm...

...I don't know how I missed the last part of the original post. Anyways I agree w/hermes, F355 Challenge is much more realistic in terms of recreating a true driving experience. Dissappointed b/c of three games on an another system? Well TTT sucks much ass, RF is fun, and GT3 is godly...but I don't understand how any of these led to such an asinine statement.

David Cay. Johnston

Current Game Rotation - Forza Horizon 3, Forza Motorsport 6, Firewatch, Halo:MCC XB1 | Phantasy Star 360 | PS3 | The Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda, Guacamelee: STCE Wii U
Old June 15th, 2002, 07:58 PM   #15
Rabid Gamer
Staff Member

Rabid Gamer is on a distinguished roadRabid Gamer is on a distinguished road

Games Wanted: 229
Many, many people were/are disappointed in the DC... Accept it and move on already, jesus.
Rabid Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2002, 07:59 PM   #16
Syndicate

Lightbulb I have...

"What I mean by being disappointed in the DC is that GT3 is just so in depth. I've played a few DC racers like Sega Rally 2 or Sega GT and its so surprising to see how GT3 obliterates these two games. Maybe it doesn't obliterate Rally 2. I just noticed that most of the DC games lack the completeness so to speak that the PS2 games have. Everything just seemed so bare bones on the system.
~Shin Egg"

...first of all Sega Rally 2 and anyGT game are totally different experiences. Sega GT is obviously the most logical comparision (F355 is more realistic than any of them but using only one car kind of takes it out of the running) to GT3...I personally found it more enjoyable than GT2 yet still inferior to the original GT despite its numerous features and things that Sega GT did very well (like weight transfer and the Carrorezzia (sp?) ). Seriously the GT games are the standard of the racing sim genre, what did you expect? TTT, well I dislike most things Tekken so I'll stop there...RF is a cool game but hardly anything genre defining or anything. This "completeness" that you speak of, I honestly can't say I understand what you are saying.

...to RG

...no issue w/an individual being disappointed w/any certain system (even if I can't begin to understand why when any system has any number of great games). However, to state said disappointment occured b/c one played all of three games games on another system seems kind of strange imo. Example, I enjoy the SNES immensely yet my experience w/other more advanced systems has not changed my opinion of the SNES or its library.

David Cay. Johnston

Old June 16th, 2002, 11:46 PM   #17
Rabid Gamer
Staff Member

Rabid Gamer is on a distinguished roadRabid Gamer is on a distinguished road

Games Wanted: 229
Heh, not trying to start an argument here, just seems whenever someone says something negative about DC - somebody here is ready to jump down said person's throat.

And as for the comparison... I know plenty of people that turned on N64 after experiencing a handful of games on PSX. Same thing with PS2 over XBox (or vice versa, for you graphic whores out there ), SNES over Genesis (or vice versa), etc.

If they truely enjoy one system's games over another's, more power to 'em, I say.
Rabid Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2002, 09:51 AM   #18
Shin Egg Robo

I think that TTT is more enjoyable than most fighters out on DC, including Soul Calibur (It was overrated) GT3 is an amazing racing experience that, from what I played, no DC game came close to even touching the worst aspects of GT3. RF is a good FPS that beat out every FPS on DC (not that it was a problem anyway; DC FPS just lacked any epic feel to them or any feeling outside of a rush job port)
Old June 17th, 2002, 07:04 PM   #19
Shaolin

Shaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 92
Send a message via ICQ to Shaolin Send a message via Yahoo to Shaolin
Now hold on.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Shin Egg Robo
I think that TTT is more enjoyable than most fighters out on DC, including Soul Calibur (It was overrated) GT3 is an amazing racing experience that, from what I played, no DC game came close to even touching the worst aspects of GT3. RF is a good FPS that beat out every FPS on DC (not that it was a problem anyway; DC FPS just lacked any epic feel to them or any feeling outside of a rush job port)
If anything, IMO, SC is one of the most underrated games ever. And while RF may be a pretty good game, it doesn't come close to Quake3; no silly-ass storyline can match up against nasty human interaction.

Shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2002, 03:29 AM   #20
sven

sven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 15
Send a message via ICQ to sven Send a message via AIM to sven
Quote:
Originally posted by DudeMan
Oh well.

Who cares if it felt like rollerblades or not? I don't give a fuck what it feels like personally because the game is fun as hell. I guess if you wanted it to be realistic and be like actual rollerblading then yeah, I guess its not your thing.
I give a fuck. If someone has one of the other 50 million games like this there is no reason to buy this one. Nope its not my thing. Its like a fighting game without an opponent.
Old June 18th, 2002, 06:53 AM   #21
scottt

scottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to all

Games Owned: 930
Quote:
Its like a fighting game without an opponent.
That's exactly what I thought of Tony Hawk. It's a cool game, but it doesn't interest me enough to play and improve my skills.
scottt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2002, 10:11 AM   #22
The Krakken

The Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 46
Quote:
I think that TTT is more enjoyable than most fighters out on DC, including Soul Calibur
I stopped reading right there........
Old June 18th, 2002, 01:01 PM   #23
Shin Egg Robo

Update: I got a Evo VI GSR Special (It was the most expensive Evo that was not a rally car; 32,780 credits) and wow, its amazing. I just beat the 4WD Cup and now I think I'm ready to do the Evo Cup or whatever its called. My HP on the Evo VI I think is 390 although it may be 381. I think I'm going to race a few more times and get the 2nd Turbo Kit, which will take the HP up to 415. What I'm a tad disappointed in is how it seems how useless my Evo seems. I wish it could enter into more cups but its fine. I see no reason in keeping my PT Cruiser. Should I keep it or should I ditch it? My Evo could use some nice Sports Brakes right now and if there is absolutely no use for the PT Cruiser, I may as well sell it.

What cars are best for the FR and MR races? Or whatever the next two after the FF cup but before the 4WD cup.
Old June 18th, 2002, 10:00 PM   #24
Syndicate

Lightbulb

...sell the PT Cruiser, you shouldn't have purchased that POS in the first place. Use the money to upgrade the Evo's suspension, extra power is nice...but power w/o control is power wasted. Good choices for front engine RWD would be the S2000, Viper GTS, RX-7, and Supra. For mid-engined RWD I would suggest the NSX, Esprit V8-SE, MR2 GT-S, or Clio Sport.

David Cay. Johnston

Old June 19th, 2002, 10:17 AM   #25
Shin Egg Robo

Thanks for the tips. I sold the Cruiser and got I think semi racing suspension. Because I won golds on the Turbo and Evolution cups, I amassed 5,000 credits each and got the Evo VI GSR to the point where its up to about 505 HP. I want to get the third turbo kit. I think its best that I keep the Evolution VI for a long while.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: