ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Retro Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Retro Games For the retro gamer in you, system unspecific.

Old April 14th, 2001, 10:04 PM   #1
Shin Egg Robo

Shin Egg Robo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Games Owned: 2
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via AIM to Shin Egg Robo
Post Shoot 'em up nostalgia

This is more for late 1980s/early 1990s but these games were huge a decade or so ago and has several classics. These games, along with fighters and RPGs are my favorite types of games. I'm sure most retro gaming fans here have played at least one type of these games. I know I have and I'm more of a modern gamer.

The best shoot 'em ups by far were made by Konami starting with Gradius in 1986. The series has been fun. The amount of ways to play has been nice plus the Easter Island guys were funny. Gradius is great but Parodius blows the series away. Parodius is just Gradius but with bright, colorful, and Japanese themes. Parodius is Gradius I. Parodius 2 is Gradius III. Parodius 3 and Sexy Parodius are new games. I recommend with those who have SNES emus to download Parodius II.

But we can't forget games like R-Type, Ghost Hunter Spriggan, Thunder Force, Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone, 19XX, and countless other series. The Turbo Grafx is the best console when it comes to these games but Saturn is a nice 2nd with Sexy Parodius and Radiant Silvergun.

------------------
Front Mission 3 is the best game...ever.

5 Most Anticipated Games

1. Final Fantasy X (PS2)
2. Tekken 4 (PS2)
3. Hoshigami (PS1)
4. Harvest Moon 3 (PS2)
5. Kessen 2 (PS2)
Shin Egg Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2001, 10:51 PM   #2
Moon Tears

Moon Tears will become famous soon enoughMoon Tears will become famous soon enoughMoon Tears will become famous soon enoughMoon Tears will become famous soon enoughMoon Tears will become famous soon enoughMoon Tears will become famous soon enoughMoon Tears will become famous soon enough

Games Owned: 0
Send a message via ICQ to Moon Tears
Arrow

http://www.mynetphotos.com/photo.asp...670&photo=4822 http://www.mynetphotos.com/photo.asp...670&photo=4824

Shooters are probably my all time favorite games. Gaiares, Dragon Spirit, Dragon Breed, Sky Shark, Twin Eagle, (The impossible) Twin Cobra, Time Pilot '84, Nemesis, Last Dual. Too many to name.

I think the three (arcade shooters) that I loved the most growing up were Scramble Spirits, Space Harrier and Forgetten Worlds. Console shooters it'd have to be Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa (which is probably me favorite game of all time), Gaiares and Thunder Force III.

~Peace!~

------------------
Uh, don't click here...really.
Old April 14th, 2001, 11:00 PM   #3
Swirlie

Swirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enough

Live!: N0REGARD4L1FE

Games Owned: 16
Sky Shark and Herzog Zwei were my favorite shooters, along with Vapor Trail for the Genny. Oh and Sol-Feace. And 1942, and Zaxxon. The list could continue. Why isnt there any good shooters on todays systems?

------------------
"Fuck no, your the same guy who was flaming people for liking the PS2, then turn around and sell your DC and become a PS2 fanboy. I expect by the time the Xbox is released you'll hop on that bandwagon if it's popular."-Raist to me. Yep, thats me...Mr. PS2 fanboy.
Old April 14th, 2001, 11:03 PM   #4
Moon Tears

Moon Tears will become famous soon enoughMoon Tears will become famous soon enoughMoon Tears will become famous soon enoughMoon Tears will become famous soon enoughMoon Tears will become famous soon enoughMoon Tears will become famous soon enoughMoon Tears will become famous soon enough

Question

http://www.mynetphotos.com/photo.asp...670&photo=4822 http://www.mynetphotos.com/photo.asp...670&photo=4824

Um...you consider Herzog Zwei a shooter? More of a strategy type game then a shooter, don't-cha think?

I guess you could get away with that.

~Peace!~

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moon Tears (edited April 14, 2001).]
Old April 14th, 2001, 11:14 PM   #5
Game Rogue
Staff Member

Game Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the rough

Live!: Virtua V
PSN: Dr_Deathsmiles

Games Owned: 2029
Games Wanted: 8
In the Atari days shooters were still on non scrolling playfield ala Galaxian. River Raid did much to push the genre forward but, it wasn't till the 16-bit era that shooter came into there own. So dominating were 16-bit shooter that at one point the genre flooded the market just as Street Fighter and it clones did during the last couple of years of the 16-bit era.

Here are some of my favorites shooters off the top of my head.

Axelay - SNES
Blazing Lazers - T16
Darius Twin - SNES
Gaiares - Genny
Hell Fire - Genny <- one of the hardest shooters I've ever played)
Lords of Thunder - Turbo Duo
Musha - Genny
Phelios - Genny
Space Megaforce - SNES
Star Soldier - NES
View Point - Neo Geo Cart

------------------
Not everyone here is that fucked up and cold.

[This message has been edited by Game Rogue (edited April 15, 2001).]

Game Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2001, 11:21 PM   #6
Game Rogue
Staff Member

Game Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the rough

The real-time strategy game is a genre which is now quite established. Games like Starcraft routinely climb the best-seller charts and occupy the attention of legions of gamers. But it's also a relatively recent genre -- most people would be hard-pressed to name a title older than five years. Turn back the clock ten years, and most people probably couldn't think of anything remotely close. Yet, it was ten years ago that Herzog Zwei, (pronounced hay-a-tsohk tsvai) arguably the first RTS game, was released for the Genesis.

I did a quick search to get the information on Herzog Zwei. I forgot the link, sorry.

------------------

Old April 14th, 2001, 11:21 PM   #7
Moon Tears

Question

How the hell did that shovel ware ass "Darius Twin" on SNES get throw in there with the good games Rogue?

~Peace!~

------------------
Old April 14th, 2001, 11:24 PM   #8
Swirlie

Swirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enoughSwirlie will become famous soon enough

Anyone else remember playing Xevious? That game was pretty sweet. Starship Hector(NES) was an obscure game, but it was good as well. I am probably alone in liking these.

------------------
"Fuck no, your the same guy who was flaming people for liking the PS2, then turn around and sell your DC and become a PS2 fanboy. I expect by the time the Xbox is released you'll hop on that bandwagon if it's popular."-Raist to me. Yep, thats me...Mr. PS2 fanboy.
Old April 14th, 2001, 11:25 PM   #9
Game Rogue
Staff Member

LOL... I liked Daruis Twin. Something about playing a level of 15 seconds then facing the main boss was appealing back then. Plus I alway though Daruis branching (A-Z) paths were a cool concept.

------------------

Old April 14th, 2001, 11:33 PM   #10
Game Rogue
Staff Member

Starship Hector was cool, just didn't think of it at the time of my post. Also Xevious was a great game. I spent many quarters on it when it was first released. I used to hate the small black bombs that would appear and disappear, sometimes re-appearing right on top of your ship... DEAD. Plus all the hidden (underground) object you could find and destroy for big points. And don't forget the hidden flags that awarded you a 1-up.

That's enough of Xevious for now.

I have a version of Xevious on one of my classic consoles... forget which one though.

------------------

Old April 15th, 2001, 06:50 AM   #11
Shin Egg Robo

I liked Fantasy Zone but the issue I had with it was the teleportation that always seemed to confuse me. Axelay was a great shoot 'em up as well but the weird scrolling sometimes for was hard not to smack into the walls, cliffs, etc.

Swirlie, there still are good shoot 'em ups on systems of today. Gradius III and IV for PlayStation 2 is pure classic Gradius. The graphics just look outdated. Silpheed for the X68000 and later Sega CD was a fun game and Silpheed 2 for PS2 has some of the original stages plus several new ones from the info I was reading. Then on the Dreamcast there is Mars Matrix, a fun shoot 'em up and Gun Bird 2 is pretty decent but they aren't up to the classic status. Don't waste your time with Giga Wing. They last for 15 minutes and unforgivably tough. I suppose you should give them a try.

------------------

5 Most Anticipated Games

1. Final Fantasy X (PS2)
2. Tekken 4 (PS2)
3. Hoshigami (PS1)
4. Harvest Moon 3 (PS2)
5. Kessen 2 (PS2)
Old April 15th, 2001, 09:11 AM   #12
PantherX20

PantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the roughPantherX20 is a jewel in the rough

Live!: Evidence786

Games Owned: -5
what about tiger heli for nes?

why the hell did that game repeat???

------------------
Im a Donkey
Makin' Moves

[This message has been edited by PantherX20 (edited April 15, 2001).]
PantherX20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2001, 12:06 PM   #13
Syndicate

Syndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud of

Live!: Syn Zero
PSN: SynZero-00

Games Owned: 399
Games Wanted: 4
...old school shooters? There were quite a few good ones, I actually some weren't that good but I enjoyed them anyway. Here's my list

Cloudmaster - SMS
R-Type - SMS/TG16
Super R-Type - SNES
Axelay - SNES
Blazing Lazers - TG16
Phelios -Genesis
Gaires - Genesis
Thunder Force III - Genesis
Afterburner II - Genesis
GLOC - Arcade/Genesis
MERCS - Genesis
Forgotten Worlds - Genesis
Gate of Thunder - TG16
Lords of Thunder - TG16
Space Megaforce - SNES
Sky Shark - Genesis
Sol Feace/Deace - Sega CD/Genesis
Viewpoint - Neo Geo
Atomic Robo Kid - Genesis
Whip Rush - Genesis
Desert Falcon - Atari 7800
19xx - NES
Fantasy Zone - SMS
Fantasy Zone II - SMS
MUSHA - Genesis
Raiden Trad - Arcade
Raiden Trad II - Arcade
Xevious - Arcade/Atari 7800
Robo Aleste - Sega CD
Silpheed - Sega CD
Aerowings 2 - Neo Geo

------------------
"The technique, depends mainly on arm and finger strength
Once you've mastered that, then the next step is to learn how to pierce stone
Well you might as well start practicing now
Do you-Do you-Do you-Do you-Do you know, the mantis legends?
How it was it all started?
It was fighting off this blackbird
Although it was only a tenth of the bird's size it was a very valiant insect
And that's why the technique, needs a brave man...
Mantis style isn't easy to learn
A mantis is small, but powerful
With it's arms, it can lift up many times it's own weight"

Syndicate

[This message has been edited by Syndicate (edited April 15, 2001).]

"There's one party in Washington. It's the party of money."
David Cay. Johnston

"...forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead."
Phil 3:13

Current Game Rotation - Forza Horizon 3, Forza Motorsport 6, Firewatch, Halo:MCC XB1 | Phantasy Star 360 | PS3 | The Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda, Guacamelee: STCE Wii U
Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2001, 04:51 PM   #14
Swirlie

Anyone remember a game called VANGUARD? You could shoot out of all sides, and out of the front and back of your ship.

------------------
I like to think of myself as Rosa Parks with a middle finger.
Old April 15th, 2001, 06:17 PM   #15
Moon Tears

Arrow

That's like asking if anyone remembers Pac-Man doOd. I don't think that any gamer over the age on 25 doesn't remember Vangaurd.

~Peace!~

------------------
Old April 15th, 2001, 07:49 PM   #16
Swirlie

Damn I'm glad this forum is here. Not one of my friends remember Vanguard at all. I guess they arent really my friends, since anyone who doesnt remember Vanguard isnt a damn friend of mine!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Swirlie (edited April 15, 2001).]
Old April 15th, 2001, 07:53 PM   #17
Swirlie

Demon Attack, Star Blazer and Ball Blazer were good shooters as well. Star Wars arcade with the "wire frame" graphics was sweet as hell too. Tempest, Battle Zone................

------------------
Old April 15th, 2001, 08:51 PM   #18
Pornoslut

Pornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to all

R-Type, ThunderForce, Ikari Warriors, Rambo2(SMS), Fantasy Zone, Xevious, Tempest, Choplifter, Moon Patrol, Vanguard, and Forgotten Worlds are just a few of my all-time favorite shoot'em ups.

------------------
" We'll give some land to the niggers and the chinks, but we don't want the Irish!"
Respect the cock....and tame the cunt!

" Sloppy Joooe, slop Sloppy Joooe!"
Old April 15th, 2001, 09:30 PM   #19
Moon Tears

Arrow

For some odd reason I can't group Ikari Warrior and games of that sorts with other shooters.

I suppose when I think shooter, I think some sort of mobile assault craft, but really a guy with a gun.

Regardless, it's one of my all time favs.

~Peace!~

------------------
Old April 15th, 2001, 09:49 PM   #20
Pornoslut

Pornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to all

Well they do "shoot thing up", so that's how i came to the conclusion.

------------------
" We'll give some land to the niggers and the chinks, but we don't want the Irish!"
Respect the cock....and tame the cunt!

" Sloppy Joooe, slop Sloppy Joooe!"
Old April 15th, 2001, 10:29 PM   #21
RainmanZX

RainmanZX is on a distinguished roadRainmanZX is on a distinguished roadRainmanZX is on a distinguished roadRainmanZX is on a distinguished road

My favorites were:

Salamander series (great games)
Defender
19xx series
Space Harrier
Starfox (SNES)
Parodius series
Tempest

------------------
"The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant. The population is still growing."
RainmanZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2001, 06:15 AM   #22
Xero

Xero is an unknown quantity at this point

Games Owned: 41
We always referred to games like Ikari Warriors, Mercs, 50 cal, and SEGA's masterpiece Alien Syndrome, etc. as a 'Run N Gun' rather than a shooter. I agree with MT's description...a shooter to me has a mobile assault craft of some sort. But there's plenty of games that would push the grey areas, so don't think I'm being anal

No one mentioned Lifeforce. Or Gyruss.

------------------
The difference between genius and stupidity?
Genius has a limit.

[This message has been edited by Xero (edited April 16, 2001).]
Xero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2001, 06:26 AM   #23
Shin Egg Robo

I couldn't come to a judgement about Life Force (or Salamander) because I could never get past the first level because of the regenerating wall always caught me towards the end.

------------------

5 Most Anticipated Games

1. Final Fantasy X (PS2)
2. Tekken 4 (PS2)
3. Hoshigami (PS1)
4. Harvest Moon 3 (PS2)
5. Kessen 2 (PS2)
Old April 17th, 2001, 05:00 AM   #24
Kev

Kev has a reputation beyond reputeKev has a reputation beyond reputeKev has a reputation beyond reputeKev has a reputation beyond reputeKev has a reputation beyond reputeKev has a reputation beyond reputeKev has a reputation beyond reputeKev has a reputation beyond reputeKev has a reputation beyond reputeKev has a reputation beyond reputeKev has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 36
Whilst all the wimps were playing Space Invaders, you'd observe the real men playing Defender. I think it tapped into that whole macho "revving-of-power-tools" thing, as it had some of the loudest, grittiest sound ever.

It's like the revving of a V8 engine - it stirs something primal within all males...

Cheers,

Kev

------------------
"And if you don't like it, you can piss off..."
Old April 17th, 2001, 11:00 AM   #25
Game Rogue
Staff Member

Kev... Space Invaders was played out (at least in the U.S.) by the time Defender hit the arcades.

I do agree theat Defender was the Macho game of the early eighties.

------------------

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: