ConsoleCity Forums   GameStop, Inc.

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > RSS Feeds
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RSS Feeds The best of the RSS feeds to discuss here.

Old August 4th, 2006, 02:57 AM   #1
Viper
Administrator

Viper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: JayCCity
Steam: jaycc

Games Owned: 690
Games Wanted: 64
Send a message via ICQ to Viper Send a message via AIM to Viper Send a message via Yahoo to Viper
What is this?

VBulletin 3.6 added the ability to consume RSS feeds automatically and have them posted in the forum where they can be replied to.

Basically this can be used to auto generate topics from different News sites across the net.

I added a couple as a test to see how it works. If you have a particular RSS feed (gaming related for now) that you'd like to see here, let me know.

If this turns out to be a feature that people like, we could possibly move it to the actual gaming forums (have xbox feeds go into the Microsoft forum, etc...). For now, to avoid clutter and frustration, I'll leave them here in this forum.
Old August 4th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #2
GuitarGuru

GuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 369
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via AIM to GuitarGuru
Now we dont need BigLoser anymore. Ban him.
Old August 25th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #3
RookieCAF

RookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 331
Games Wanted: 5
Talking

I thought BL was a bot???
So, what are you saying. That men actually pay you for sex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefMATRIXense
that's correct.

RookieCAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 04:09 PM   #4
Arod1983

Arod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant future

Games Owned: 22
seems kinda cool, but would clutter the forums i think...i mean look at all the sept 1 posts!
Arod1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #5
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 267
Send a message via AIM to mountpanic Send a message via Yahoo to mountpanic
The RSS Bot is gayly in love with the WWE.

There is no one you couldn't love once you've heard their story.
Mary Lou Kownacki (via Fred Rogers)

Enjoy the CC Free Games Archive
mountpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #6
Viper
Administrator

Viper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to Viper Send a message via AIM to Viper Send a message via Yahoo to Viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountpanic View Post
The RSS Bot is gayly in love with the WWE.
You mean IGN is gayly in love with the WWE.

I was thinking about giving users the ability to move posts out of this forum (since it seems people view these threads more than I originally thought they would). That way we can spark some discussion on these topics in the proper forum (rather then me moving all the threads).

Opinions? (I'd be able to remove moving access for users that abuse it)
Old October 28th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #7
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, IGN. It's disturbing. But then so is Team Xbox's shameless fanboyism.

It would be nice to be able to move threads to the suitable forums. Save a couple minutes clicking and pasting, anyway.

Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:37 AM   #8
SAiNT-X

SAiNT-X has a reputation beyond reputeSAiNT-X has a reputation beyond reputeSAiNT-X has a reputation beyond reputeSAiNT-X has a reputation beyond reputeSAiNT-X has a reputation beyond reputeSAiNT-X has a reputation beyond reputeSAiNT-X has a reputation beyond reputeSAiNT-X has a reputation beyond reputeSAiNT-X has a reputation beyond reputeSAiNT-X has a reputation beyond reputeSAiNT-X has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 0
I don't think anyone uses this feature... best to shut it down.
SAiNT-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:24 PM   #9
mountpanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAiNT-X View Post
I don't think anyone uses this feature... best to shut it down.
Are you serious or sarcastic? I know several of us use it.

Old March 28th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #10
Arod1983

Arod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant future

Games Owned: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post

I was thinking about giving users the ability to move posts out of this forum (since it seems people view these threads more than I originally thought they would). That way we can spark some discussion on these topics in the proper forum (rather then me moving all the threads).

Opinions? (I'd be able to remove moving access for users that abuse it)
Being able to move the thread and responding to it so it's in the approp forum would be a good idea. This was EVERY topic isn't in the other forums, just the ones we want to talk about.
Arod1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #11
Noodle

Noodle is a splendid one to beholdNoodle is a splendid one to beholdNoodle is a splendid one to beholdNoodle is a splendid one to beholdNoodle is a splendid one to beholdNoodle is a splendid one to beholdNoodle is a splendid one to beholdNoodle is a splendid one to beholdNoodle is a splendid one to beholdNoodle is a splendid one to beholdNoodle is a splendid one to behold

Games Owned: 24
Send a message via AIM to Noodle
Why does the rss bots sometime duplicate feeds?Or is it just my browser.
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:20 AM   #12
mountpanic

It seems to have something to do with the sources sending out the feeds. For example, I've read a couple articles on IGN with spelling errors, and when they fixed the errors, another post was generated.

...yes, I emailed them about the errors.

Old April 26th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #13
Viper
Administrator

Quote:
It seems to have something to do with the sources sending out the feeds. For example, I've read a couple articles on IGN with spelling errors, and when they fixed the errors, another post was generated.
That, and Engadget's feed seems to always be a duplicate, I haven't bothered to really dig into why that might be.
Old November 30th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #14
mountpanic

I'm thinking that our RSS feeds could use some tweaking. Right now, we're getting IGN feeds, but just for PS2, Engadget and Team Xbox.

We should have a Nintendo feed (or feeds, if it takes 2 to cover Wii and DS), a PS3 feed, a PSP feed, and imo, a better Xbox feed. Engadget is fine.

Old November 30th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #15
Vid Gamer

Vid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of light

Live!: BizzyBum
PSN: BizzyBum
Steam: BizzyBum

Games Owned: 375
For Nintendo feeds, just head to www.GoNintendo.com
Vid Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #16
Viper
Administrator

Quote:
I'm thinking that our RSS feeds could use some tweaking. Right now, we're getting IGN feeds, but just for PS2, Engadget and Team Xbox.

We should have a Nintendo feed (or feeds, if it takes 2 to cover Wii and DS), a PS3 feed, a PSP feed, and imo, a better Xbox feed. Engadget is fine.
Agreed. I don't like the IGN feeds, or the Team Xbox feed all that much. Engadget is great, because I can read the article here, no click through required.

Any suggestions on better feeds for any/all platforms?
Old December 1st, 2007, 12:49 AM   #17
mountpanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post
Agreed. I don't like the IGN feeds, or the Team Xbox feed all that much. Engadget is great, because I can read the article here, no click through required.

Any suggestions on better feeds for any/all platforms?

Dunno. I'm generally too lazy to spend much time cruising other sites, which is why I like having the feeds here.

I agree, I like that about Engadget. I don't mind IGN, but it would be weird if we were getting all our feeds from them. Might as well form a partnership at that point.

Old March 14th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #18
mountpanic

I nominate me for Mod of the RSS Forum, so I can weed out the duplicate posts and move the more interesting articles to their console-appropriate fora.

Old March 14th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #19
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 0
I like giving the bot rep.

I would just prefer it to be a sausagefest.
Z_E_R_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #20
mountpanic

The Bot has a new Master!

Quote:
I nominate me for Mod of the RSS Forum, so I can weed out the duplicate posts and move the more interesting articles to their console-appropriate fora.
So, apparently this has happened.

I've merged several threads (being that Kotaku and Joystiq run alot of the same articles) so far, and sent a few where I thought they should go. I deleted one of the Night Notes posts because it's just a recap of the posts we'd already gotten, and their writer is under the impression we actually care about his personal life.

I'm curious how heavy a hand people would like me to take with the thread moving and merging. I could, for example, merge ALL the (say) CoD4 threads, or just the duplicates about specific aspects. I could also move a lot more threads, if people are interested in getting the news in the other forums. I'd be glad to sticky things too, if people actually respond to threads, so that they don't get lost in the shuffle. Or, even more practically, if someone responds, I'd be glad to then move the thread further upstairs.

Oh, I also stickied the Mass Effect 360 drawing (for the next few days, anyway) because I wanted to keep it handy for me.

Anyway, I'll be glad to delete more threads too, if people want to trust my judgement on what's lame and/or pointless.

So hey, I'm Mount Panic, and I'll be your RSS Moderator. How can we better serve you, Console Citizens?

Old March 19th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #21
Viper
Administrator

Yeah, I hate the Night Notes as well, but haven't been bothered to delete them.

I do delete the "thanks to our sponsors" posts though.
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #22
CarlosRE3

CarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of light

Live!: GTKyle5
PSN: GTKyle5
Steam: GTKyle5

Games Owned: 198
Games Wanted: 1
Quote:

Oh, I also stickied the Mass Effect 360 drawing (for the next few days, anyway) because I wanted to keep it handy for me.
Selfish bastard

I Hate Capcom.
CarlosRE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:59 AM   #23
mountpanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosRE3 View Post
Selfish bastard
HA HA!

Hey, it's there if you want to enter, but I still gotta look out for The Boss, namsayin?

Old June 30th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #24
mountpanic

I'm kind of thinking we could probably drop Kotaku, since they and Joystiq are fairly redundant, and Kotaku writes worse headlines. We could probably drop Engadget too.

I'm also thinking we could try a feed from IGN and/or Gamasutra if we dropped those.

Your thoughts?

Old July 4th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #25
Viper
Administrator

Quote:
I'm kind of thinking we could probably drop Kotaku, since they and Joystiq are fairly redundant, and Kotaku writes worse headlines. We could probably drop Engadget too.

I'm also thinking we could try a feed from IGN and/or Gamasutra if we dropped those.

Your thoughts?
The IGN feeds are mostly lame, as they only send out their teaser text, with links to the full articles.

I haven't looked at Gamasutra.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: