ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gaming
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gaming One place to talk all games

Old July 27th, 2016, 09:47 AM   #1
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 95
Games Wanted: 0
Nintendo NES Classic Edition

So is anybody else here picking this up?

I think I'm going to get one. The NES was the first console we owned growing up, and unfortunately it got sold when we moved up to the 16-bit generation. The only thing that's disappointing is the fact there's no connectivity to Nintendo's e-shop. It would have been great to be able to buy additional NES titles.
Old July 27th, 2016, 03:14 PM   #2
erp

erp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura about

PSN: nittynittsters

Games Owned: 180
I still own all my NES games but part of me wanted to get this just because it looks like an NES. Last year I softmodded my Wii to play emulators and now there isn't really a point. I would much rather take the guts of a Wii and place them inside an NES console for the retro look.
Old July 27th, 2016, 09:00 PM   #3
Vid Gamer

Vid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of light

Live!: BizzyBum
PSN: BizzyBum
Steam: BizzyBum

Games Owned: 375
Yeah, I'm most likely going to nab one.

Hopefully if this sells well Nintendo will give us SNES and N64 mini's.
Vid Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 05:16 AM   #4
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Gamer View Post
Yeah, I'm most likely going to nab one.

With more and better games. I see no reason why they couldn't include all their first party titles. I'm sure it would be easy enough to get the rights to use third party titles as well.
Old July 28th, 2016, 09:33 AM   #5
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Gamer View Post
That would definitely be awesome. If it sells really well I would love to see somebody at Sega say "hey, maybe we should do this too," and we get a mini version of the Sega Genesis (model 1 of course). Some news sites have been running the story that Sega is releasing their answer to the Nintendo NES Classic Edition, but it's just a re-release of a licensed product by atGames, and is pretty terrible. I want to see legit, official Sega hardware.
Old July 28th, 2016, 12:55 PM   #6
DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to all

Live!: TheDirtyOne

Games Owned: 71
Send a message via ICQ to DirtySanchez Send a message via AIM to DirtySanchez
You're better served making yourself a retropi. That things a nostalgia-factor only device.
DirtySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 03:55 PM   #7
erp

erp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura about

I actually ordered a Raspberry Pi 3 earlier today. I was surprised to see Youtube videos showing how well it ran Dreamcast games.
Old August 4th, 2016, 10:26 AM   #8
cagmere

cagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Cag1082

Games Owned: 47
Send a message via AIM to cagmere
I'm on the fence about nabbing one, the deciding factor will likely be whether or not it can be hacked/modded to add ROMS. I do hope that this opens the floodgates for more official retro systems to be released, not the 3rd party crap that does a half-assed job with emulation.
Old August 4th, 2016, 11:19 PM   #9
Jerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagmere View Post
I'm on the fence about nabbing one, the deciding factor will likely be whether or not it can be hacked/modded to add ROMS.
It'll be interesting to see if that happens. I'm sure there are a few people eager to try.
Old August 5th, 2016, 06:55 PM   #10
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

I read that the Vita has been fully cracked open for homebrew. That thing would be an emulation beast.
Old August 6th, 2016, 09:03 PM   #11
Syndicate

Syndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud of

Live!: Syn Zero
PSN: SynZero-00

Games Owned: 399
Games Wanted: 4
...I'll be grabbing one, maybe two. I never had a NES and there's a bit loaded on it that I really want to play.

"There's one party in Washington. It's the party of money."
David Cay. Johnston

"...forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead."
Phil 3:13

Current Game Rotation - Forza Horizon 3, Forza Motorsport 6, Firewatch, Halo:MCC XB1 | Phantasy Star 360 | PS3 | The Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda, Guacamelee: STCE Wii U
Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2016, 08:14 AM   #12
cagmere

cagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Cag1082

Games Owned: 47
Send a message via AIM to cagmere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
I read that the Vita has been fully cracked open for homebrew. That thing would be an emulation beast.
Yeah that was a major breakthrough, right now my PSP Go is my portable emulation device, but seeing how the scene plays out I might get a Vita. The problem is that the user base is limited and with the 3DS scene really taking off, people are focusing their attention on that device and the Vita could lack people devoting their time to perfect emulators for the system.
Old August 8th, 2016, 10:13 AM   #13
Jerome

Some new details about the display modes and permanent save points:

Quote:
NES CLASSIC WILL FEATURE PIXEL PERFECT MODE, PERMANENT SAVE POINTS

BY ALEX OSBORN New details on the NES Classic Edition have been revealed, confirming Nintendo's adorable mini console will feature several different display options, as well as permanent save points.

In an interview with La Terrasse ÉNERGIE (translation via Nintendo Everything and LuigiBlood), Nintendo of Canada communications manager Julie Gagnon said the NES Classic Edition will not only include a pixel perfect option that displays each pixel as a square, but also a mode simulating the retro look from a CRT television and an option to display the games in a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Full IGN Article
Old August 15th, 2016, 07:20 PM   #14
Pahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagmere View Post
Yeah that was a major breakthrough, right now my PSP Go is my portable emulation device, but seeing how the scene plays out I might get a Vita. The problem is that the user base is limited and with the 3DS scene really taking off, people are focusing their attention on that device and the Vita could lack people devoting their time to perfect emulators for the system.
I always intended to acquire a PSP Go for emulation, but my phone works fine, so it's a hard sell. I can just use a PS3 controller.
Old September 1st, 2016, 09:55 PM   #15
Jerome

Apparently, last week, amazon had the NES Classic Edition available for pre-order and it sold out in minutes. Who knows how many they had available, but I'm sure they'll be allotted a lot more and it'll be available for pre-order again soon.
Old October 31st, 2016, 11:23 AM   #16
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 0
Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
Apparently, last week, amazon had the NES Classic Edition available for pre-order and it sold out in minutes. Who knows how many they had available, but I'm sure they'll be allotted a lot more and it'll be available for pre-order again soon.
Still not available, i think this thing sell for $200 on eBay 1st week of December.

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 11:23 AM   #17
Jerome

It's looking like a lot of people aren't going to be getting one of these... at least not right away. Either Nintendo didn't anticipate the demand, or they actively decided to not manufacture a lot of units. Anyway, well known YouTuber, Lamarr Wilson, did an unboxing and demonstration:

Old March 28th, 2017, 03:58 PM   #18
Jerome

Over four months later and you still can't find these stupid things on store shelfs. Nintendo sucks at hardware!
Old March 29th, 2017, 12:20 PM   #19
erp

Switch and the NES Classic are both in stock on bestbuy.com right now.
Old March 29th, 2017, 01:40 PM   #20
Jerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by erp View Post
Switch and the NES Classic are both in stock on bestbuy.com right now.
Just checked (1 hour, 20 minutes after your post), all sold out.
Old March 29th, 2017, 02:37 PM   #21
erp

They lasted for about 30 minutes. Yesterday Best Buy tweeted that a limited supply would be available at 12:00 central time. I suggest you follow them on Twitter so you can get the heads up on the next shipment.
Old April 5th, 2017, 09:35 PM   #22
Shinobi128

Shinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the rough

Games Owned: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
Over four months later and you still can't find these stupid things on store shelfs. Nintendo sucks at hardware!
http://www.nowinstock.net also helps.

You can set up phone alerts for items.
Shinobi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2017, 08:33 AM   #23
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 0
Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
I heard they stopped manufacturing them.

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2017, 12:23 PM   #24
Jerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by turningpoint View Post
I heard they stopped manufacturing them.
Source?

That would be surprising considering:

Quote:
In a recent interview with Wired, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime said, "What happened with NES Classic is that was a situation where the global demand was well in excess of anything we had anticipated, and that’s what created shortages. The good news, at least for consumers in the Americas, is we’re going to continue to make the NES Classic available. With the ongoing level of supply, the ongoing demand is going to be met. We know the concern."
The problem is it looks like they're only churning out 1,000 every month.
Old April 15th, 2017, 03:04 AM   #25
erp

Annnnnd it looks like there will be no more NES Classics. Nintendo announced the end. I think they just made them to spark an interest and create a buzz about Nintendo again leading up to the Switch. They know they can make much more money selling individual games through an eStore than physical hardware + 30 games for $60.

Ebay prices have DOUBLED since the announcement. I did not order any units during the Best Buy 30 minute window because I didn't care enough but now I am seriously regretting it. I know there are better retro gaming options but having that NES sitting there looks nice.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: