ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gadgets & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 28th, 2013, 02:02 AM   #1
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Games Wanted: 0
Got my KitKat push today

So far, no MAJOR changes. I can tell that the OS feels lighter and more efficient, but I did just do a factory reset. The performance gains will be more noticeable on lower-end hardware.

Samsung and Google were nice enough to include a hidden app to support the Galaxy Gear, for the 2 or 3 people that actually have this phone and would consider the Gear.

Some minor changes in settings menus that make some sense, though nothing to write home about.

Auto brightness seems to be functioning as intended for the first time that I can ever remember. I had an HTC Incredible (Android 2.1-2.3), Galaxy S2 (2.3-4.1), and now the S4 GPe (4.2-4.4), and this is the first time where auto brightness has functioned like my wife's iPhones.

A solid update, but I don't see any update being the overhaul that ICS was. The devices that would most benefit from this update (2011 high-end and 2012 mid-range handsets) won't be getting it due to OEM lazyness/greed. And can you blame them? Google could have at least put it on the Galaxy Nexus.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #2
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Verizon's GalNex wouldn't have gotten it anyway. Wanted to avoid that fragmentation.

Verizon sucks.
Old November 28th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
Verizon's GalNex wouldn't have gotten it anyway. Wanted to avoid that fragmentation.

Verizon sucks.
Fragmentation?

I still use 4.3.1 builds. Tried a 4.4 just to check out ART, when they're more stable I will move up. I am trying to move past using Cyanogen because I strongly disagree with their practices. As soon as Omnirom or one of the others get real stable that jump is being made. But Android hasn't changed much, JMHO, since GB and ICS.
If you were to say, use the same aftermarket launcher you'd have a hard time telling the difference, other than with ICS there were some smoothness of the system there. Yes, there are changes and yes I need them but I try not to move to the next version until shit is smooth.
As for 4.4? Think they said it wasn't going to be a huge new release. They called 4.3.1 an "in between". Just features tweaked and under the hood performance improvements. From what I have seen, KitKat is like going from ICS to Jellybean moreso than Eclair to FroYo. Like Exodus pointed out, it is going to help lower-end hardware the most. People may see better battery.

I would just prefer it to be a sausagefest.
Z_E_R_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 10:43 PM   #4
Baron3ss

Baron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished road

I have an HTC One that I converted to a Google Play Edition a few months ago. I can't seem to get any kitkat Roms to load now and cant set S-off.
Baron3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #5
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron3ss View Post
I have an HTC One that I converted to a Google Play Edition a few months ago. I can't seem to get any kitkat Roms to load now and cant set S-off.
If you converted to a GPE (IE, full conversion, not just a ROM), and you're trying to load ROMs, then you're doing it wrong. Not trying to be an ass, so let me try to explain.

The HTC One, like any Android device, has a partition size set by the OEM to allow for the loading of their firmware. The GPe has a smaller partition for firmware as they're not loading a custom skin (IE, Sense). So, the GPe HTC One cannot work with all of the same ROMs as the Sense version.

If you have a Sense version, you can load a ROM based off the GPe, but you'll have less user-available storage when compared to the actual GPe, due to the different partition size. If you have a true GPe, or a Sense variant converted to a GPe, then you are VERY limited in the ROMs that can be run due to the smaller partition size.

So to summarize, if you did a true conversion to a GPe with OTA capability, then you're not supposed to run ROMs due to the smaller partition size. The Sense variant without conversion is for custom ROMs, and the GPe is for those who want to run stock Google software. Both the HTC One and Galaxy S4 GPe variants are less useful than their OEM counterparts when it comes to running custom firmware.
Old November 29th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #6
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
That HTC S-Off thing pisses me off.
Old November 30th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #7
Baron3ss

Baron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
If you converted to a GPE (IE, full conversion, not just a ROM), and you're trying to load ROMs, then you're doing it wrong. Not trying to be an ass, so let me try to explain.

The HTC One, like any Android device, has a partition size set by the OEM to allow for the loading of their firmware. The GPe has a smaller partition for firmware as they're not loading a custom skin (IE, Sense). So, the GPe HTC One cannot work with all of the same ROMs as the Sense version.

If you have a Sense version, you can load a ROM based off the GPe, but you'll have less user-available storage when compared to the actual GPe, due to the different partition size. If you have a true GPe, or a Sense variant converted to a GPe, then you are VERY limited in the ROMs that can be run due to the smaller partition size.

So to summarize, if you did a true conversion to a GPe with OTA capability, then you're not supposed to run ROMs due to the smaller partition size. The Sense variant without conversion is for custom ROMs, and the GPe is for those who want to run stock Google software. Both the HTC One and Galaxy S4 GPe variants are less useful than their OEM counterparts when it comes to running custom firmware.
I have no clue what any of that really means, but I figured it out.

The only way I could get S-Off was to flash from TWRP to ClockworkMod, then load a kitkat rom that was stuck in a boot loop, then run rumrunner and it finally worked, then installed a new KitKat rom.

It still annoys me to no end that there are no icon badges. I'm running Nova Launcher now, which gives me the badges, but it disables the "ok google" always listening stuff.

Also, the DCikonZ icon pack rules.
Old November 30th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #8
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

S-off/s-on never bothered me, but I understand that some devices became hard to unlock.

TeamWin Recovery is waaaay better than CWM. Did you have to use the version that comes with that RomManager shit? I think it's different than CWM.

Old November 30th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #9
Baron3ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_E_R_O View Post
S-off/s-on never bothered me, but I understand that some devices became hard to unlock.

TeamWin Recovery is waaaay better than CWM. Did you have to use the version that comes with that RomManager shit? I think it's different than CWM.
I like TWRP better but I think something about it was keeping rumrunner from working so I could get s-off, which I needed for kitkat rom.
Old December 1st, 2013, 05:11 PM   #10
Z_E_R_O

Quote:
I like TWRP better but I think something about it was keeping rumrunner from working so I could get s-off, which I needed for kitkat rom.
Yeah, some changes were made on 4.4. Looks like people are having to use CWM on the gs3. I read and knew the reason but cannot remember right now . I cannot wait for things to smooth out there. The 4.3.1 builds are SWEET!

What are some of the new launchers? I've noticed a few.

Old December 2nd, 2013, 01:17 AM   #11
Exodus

Quote:
I have no clue what any of that really means
I'll simplify (too many acronyms and tangents).

You stated that you took your HTC One and converted it to a Google Play Edition. Did you do this by simply running a stock Android ROM, or did you actually do the full conversion? If you don't know how to do the conversion, or what it entails, then you didn't do it.

If you did do the total conversion to a Google Play Edition, this shrinks the storage partition where the firmware resides (larger "hard drive" for you, smaller for the OS). This means that most custom ROMs will not run properly, or will boot loop.

So if you did the Google Play Edition conversion, DO NOT run custom ROMs. Unconvert first. If you did not do the conversion, resume what you're doing and good luck
Old December 2nd, 2013, 10:26 AM   #12
Baron3ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
I'll simplify (too many acronyms and tangents).

You stated that you took your HTC One and converted it to a Google Play Edition. Did you do this by simply running a stock Android ROM, or did you actually do the full conversion? If you don't know how to do the conversion, or what it entails, then you didn't do it.

If you did do the total conversion to a Google Play Edition, this shrinks the storage partition where the firmware resides (larger "hard drive" for you, smaller for the OS). This means that most custom ROMs will not run properly, or will boot loop.

So if you did the Google Play Edition conversion, DO NOT run custom ROMs. Unconvert first. If you did not do the conversion, resume what you're doing and good luck
I did the full conversion and got the OTA update, but it just loaded a blue screen with a bunch of little lines all over it. I looked up all the issues I was having and I think it came down to bootloader issues, but going back to stock recovery required S-Off, and doing anything else pretty much required it too. I couldn't go back to stock Sense because it wasn't recognizing my phone as the AT&T version anymore. It was a mess. I have everything backed up and can redo it if I want, but what I have is working fine for me now.

Last edited by Baron3ss : December 2nd, 2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 08:41 PM   #13
Exodus

Quote:
I did the full conversion and got the OTA update, but it just loaded a blue screen with a bunch of little lines all over it. I looked up all the issues I was having and I think it came down to bootloader issues, but going back to stock recovery required S-Off, and doing anything else pretty much required it too. I couldn't go back to stock Sense because it wasn't recognizing my phone as the AT&T version anymore. It was a mess. I have everything backed up and can redo it if I want, but what I have is working fine for me now.
If you did the full conversion, you can't load a Sense ROM. It just won't happen. However, something with your conversion didn't work properly, otherwise the OTA would work fine.

However, you seem happy with the way it's working now, and that's all that matters.
Old December 26th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #14
PHISIG

PHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the rough

Live!: NeutronBomb

Send a message via AIM to PHISIG Send a message via Yahoo to PHISIG
I have an HTC One here that I was having issues with also flashing kitkat roms. Ended up being as simple as needing to upgrade my recovery. I've never really had issues with updating recoveries...usually once I install TWRP or CWM it's done and over with but kitkat roms seems to be really picky on both the G2, Gpad and HTC One so far I've had softbricks until updating recoveries. At least as far as Cyanogenmod is concerned.

Believe me, Jamal's not getting a $2000.00 toy. You must mean little Tommy, or Chip.
PHISIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #15
Z_E_R_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHISIG View Post
I have an HTC One here that I was having issues with also flashing kitkat roms. Ended up being as simple as needing to upgrade my recovery. I've never really had issues with updating recoveries...usually once I install TWRP or CWM it's done and over with but kitkat roms seems to be really picky on both the G2, Gpad and HTC One so far I've had softbricks until updating recoveries. At least as far as Cyanogenmod is concerned.
LOL! True, funny things such as your storage not being there. Nothing like wiping and having no mount to flash from all surprise like. For the d2spr I lucked upon a custom CWM mod called philZ. It cut off many bugs. Also for my device flashing a full gapps will make weird magic. The simple core_gapps seems to play just6 fine. KK has also killed the dirty flash on my device. That shit doesn't play at all. Maybe another recovery issue, although dirties have never been recommended or supported they always worked for me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: