ConsoleCity Forums   GameStop, Inc.

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gadgets & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 21st, 2013, 08:34 AM   #1
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 0
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
Best Tablet for your money?

I'm thinking of getting a tablet for xmas.......anyone know which the best one is?

I was thinking a MS Surface because i have all PC stuff.

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2013, 11:09 AM   #2
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
For the money, probably the Nexus 7. I'm not overly impressed with iPads. I also really like the Asus Transformer series of Android tablets.

I can't stand Windows 8, but Asus has a very affordable Transformer there too. It's the Transformer Book T100. $379 with keyboard. If you go the Surface route, you probably want the Surface Pro 2. That's spendy. The regular Surface 2 runs Windows RT, which is actually decent for productivity and web browsing, but will forever lack apps.
Old November 24th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #3
RookieCAF

RookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 331
Games Wanted: 5
Nexus 7. Windows Tablet is a solution for a problem that does not exist.
So, what are you saying. That men actually pay you for sex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefMATRIXense
that's correct.

RookieCAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #4
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
nexus 7 then, ok. i'll look for one.

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #5
RookieCAF

RookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond repute

They're not hard to find.

16 or 32 GB, Wifi Only, or Wifi/LTE.

Can buy directly from the Google Play Store, or at Brick and Mortar.

Quote:
that's correct.

Old November 25th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
If I'm too late to chime in, then I apologize. For me, the tablet answer isn't as cut and dry as a smartphone. Whereas smartphones these days all serve a similar purpose, tablets are so varied that there's no ideal recommendation (although for a generic value-based recommendation, nothing touches the Nexus 7).

For example, the common sizes for tablets are 7in and 10in. If you're primary purpose is for e-reading, the 7in kills the 10in. But the 10in is a better form factor for other things, such as laptop replacement.

Then there's the OS. The general differences between iPhone and Android applies to iPad vs. Android as well. But Microsoft threw a nice wrench into the equation. Windows RT is absolute garbage, as it competes with the high-end Android tablets and iPads on price, but doesn't offer any apps (now, nor will it in the future as it's a dead end). Surface Pro 2, however, is a nice piece of kit if you're willing to spend the money. With the keyboard dock, it's a solid 10in laptop replacement. With the desktop dock and and a keyboard/mouse, it's an adequate desktop replacement (unless you planned on gaming). It will run World of Warcraft at 1080p, but not much beyond that.

So if all you want is an app-based tablet and nothing special, an iPad Mini or Nexus 7 is ideal (depending on your choice of OS). If you want a laptop replacement and/or a low-end desktop replacement that runs most of your current Windows software, the Surface Pro 2 is the only choice. The other "hybrid" Windows 8 devices are, as Rookie said, solutions looking for a problem. And most are at a rediculous price given the hardware involved.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #7
PHISIG

PHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the rough

Live!: NeutronBomb

Send a message via AIM to PHISIG Send a message via Yahoo to PHISIG
The surface 2 is decent but kinda overpriced. The dell venue pro 8 is decent but specs could be a bit better.

A lot of people will say the nexus 7 without putting much thought into it but do yourself a favor and check out the LG Gpad 8.3. It has a very nice high res screen and a good processor as well as excellent build quality. Its basically a larger g2 which is an awesome phone. It has an ir blaster as well as an SD card slot. Two things that IMO put it over the top of the nexus 7 or any other android tablets really overall. Also it sells for $350.

I've owned about 7 different tablets in the last 4 months alone and it really is the best. Now... If you wanted to spend around $800 though you could get the Sony VAIO tap 11. That was really nice also but a good bit pricier.

Believe me, Jamal's not getting a $2000.00 toy. You must mean little Tommy, or Chip.
PHISIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #8
PHISIG

PHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the rough

Also to add on... That VAIO tap 11 will run league of legends on medium graphics settings. Didn't try any other games. Its comparable with the surface pro 2 but much slicker IMO.

Believe me, Jamal's not getting a $2000.00 toy. You must mean little Tommy, or Chip.
Old December 27th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #9
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHISIG View Post
The surface 2 is decent but kinda overpriced.
A product is overpriced when it costs more than similar products. There is currently no device that behaves in the same way as the Surface Pro 2. It's the only device out there that can act as a tablet, laptop, or desktop replacement, while still having the required horsepower to run full-blown desktop Windows programs, to includes games. No, Asus's Atom-powered convertibles are not on par.

When another product does everything that the Surface Pro 2 does, and does so just as well but at a cheaper price, then we can call the Surface Pro 2 overpriced.
Old December 27th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #10
PHISIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
A product is overpriced when it costs more than similar products. There is currently no device that behaves in the same way as the Surface Pro 2. It's the only device out there that can act as a tablet, laptop, or desktop replacement, while still having the required horsepower to run full-blown desktop Windows programs, to includes games. No, Asus's Atom-powered convertibles are not on par.

When another product does everything that the Surface Pro 2 does, and does so just as well but at a cheaper price, then we can call the Surface Pro 2 overpriced.
I wasn't talking about the surface pro 2... I was talking about the regular ass old surface running RT...

On a side note.. I really like the surface.. .but I do think it's overpriced compared to something with a bay trail processor that can run full desktop apps. More so a windows RT complaint than a surface complaint though. Still loving my gpad 8.3 anyway.

Last edited by PHISIG : December 28th, 2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old December 28th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #11
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

It can still be plenty overpriced. Which it is.
Old December 28th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #12
RookieCAF

This is one of those rare circumstances where I can say Pahn is right.

Quote:
that's correct.

Old December 28th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #13
Exodus

I suppose that I'm just being too literal. It's expensive, no doubt. But overpriced? Compared to what? If you're comparing it to a laptop with similar performance, it will seen overpriced. But that laptop won't function as a tablet. You won't find another tablet with this much performance either.

It's semantics at this point, but I am correct in a literal sense. While it is expensive, it's only overpriced when a comparable product is available for less. Let me know when that happens.
Old December 28th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #14
RookieCAF

I'm not doubting its performance. Early adopters will have a blast. It is a great device but I don't have a gaming laptop for a reason, the Nexus 7 fits my needs as a portable device. Anything I would use the Surface for, my Desktop PC is right here

Quote:
that's correct.

Old December 29th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #15
Pahn

What you're overlooking is that you can price something by its value add over the alternatives. It's a capable laptop with a detachable screen. Does that merit the few hundred price premium? Not in my eyes. Especially since other options have better battery life, etc.

By your argument, it wouldn't be overpriced at $1 million, simply because it's unique.
Old December 31st, 2013, 08:55 PM   #16
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

Holy shit those are expensive! Fuck.

I would just prefer it to be a sausagefest.
Z_E_R_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 09:46 AM   #17
Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
What you're overlooking is that you can price something by its value add over the alternatives. It's a capable laptop with a detachable screen. Does that merit the few hundred price premium? Not in my eyes. Especially since other options have better battery life, etc.

By your argument, it wouldn't be overpriced at $1 million, simply because it's unique.
I'm not overlooking anything. Expensive - costs too much in a person's opinion (we agree here). Overpriced means costs more than comparable options. There are no comparable options.

Sure, you can purchase a separate laptop and tablet for less, and in your eyes, that may be the better value. Another person may prefer the flexibility of having a single but more expensive device. And if it were $1 million? So long as it's unique, it's a luxury item.

I won't continue this argument over semantics. We both agree that it's expensive, and at this time there's no alternative for a person who wants this kind of device. Therefore, there's no argument other than the semantics of what expensive/overpriced mean, and we're simply not going to agree there.
Old January 1st, 2014, 11:31 PM   #18
Pahn

I'll continue. That's not what expensive means at all. Something can be expensive but be reasonably priced. Quality is expensive. A Tesla Model S is expensive, but worth every penny.

Overpriced is at a price above what the market supports or above what I'm willing to pay, depending on context. I'm not making any claims about the market.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 05:02 PM   #19
Razor

Razor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via ICQ to Razor
Stop confusing the man.

My money goes on a previous gen iPad Mini.

The iPad Mini is my favorite tablet, and worth $300.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 05:46 PM   #20
Pahn

I think you're better off snagging a used iPad w/ retina display (3rd gen). Extra screen size and resolution is nice. Same internals.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 03:38 PM   #21
Baron3ss

Baron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
I think you're better off snagging a used iPad w/ retina display (3rd gen). Extra screen size and resolution is nice. Same internals.
My mom has one of these and iOS7 seems to run kinda bad on it, for what its worth. Usable, but I'd feel kinda bummed spending that cash on it.
Baron3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 02:24 AM   #22
Pahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron3ss View Post
My mom has one of these and iOS7 seems to run kinda bad on it, for what its worth. Usable, but I'd feel kinda bummed spending that cash on it.
Mine runs like a champ.
Old January 4th, 2014, 12:39 PM   #23
Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron3ss View Post
After dealing with numerous iOS devices, I've learned that it's a matter of when, not if, they get that update that shows them down. Just plug them into iTunes and wipe and restore. This will speed then up most of the time.
Old January 5th, 2014, 12:59 AM   #24
Pahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
After dealing with numerous iOS devices, I've learned that it's a matter of when, not if, they get that update that shows them down. Just plug them into iTunes and wipe and restore. This will speed then up most of the time.
Might try doing any updates via iTunes vs. OTA. It seems like it shouldn't make a difference, and maybe it won't, but for some reason, the latest jailbreak works with iTunes-updated devices but not OTA-updated devices. I can confirm that too, because I had OTA'd mine and had to iTunes it before the jailbreak would work.
Old January 5th, 2014, 03:52 PM   #25
Bigg Russ

Bigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Bigg Russ

Games Owned: 73
Send a message via AIM to Bigg Russ Send a message via Yahoo to Bigg Russ
I live and die by my Nexus 7.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: