ConsoleCity Forums   GameStop, Inc.

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gadgets & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 19th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #1
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Just stop buying contract phones.

Because the Moto G comes out in January. $180-$200 unlocked. Reasonable specs (though no LTE).

Or the Nexus 5 if you want better everything, at a still very reasonable price.

Done. Never sign another contract again.
Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2013, 05:28 AM   #2
AnimeJoe

AnimeJoe is on a distinguished roadAnimeJoe is on a distinguished road

Games Owned: 405
Games Wanted: 2
Send a message via AIM to AnimeJoe
I have never purchased a contract phone and never will. Welcome to the club.
AnimeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #3
RookieCAF

RookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 331
Games Wanted: 5
Just got my Nexus 5. Sweet sweet phone.
So, what are you saying. That men actually pay you for sex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefMATRIXense
that's correct.

RookieCAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #4
fgarriel

fgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant future

Games Owned: 133
If any Nexus 4 owners want to upgrade to a Nexus 5, I might be interested in purchasing your N4 at a reasonable price if it's in good condition.

*edit: I own an N4 already; just looking to get one for the wife, as I don't "need" to upgrade to the N5 right now.
fgarriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #5
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeJoe View Post
I have never purchased a contract phone and never will. Welcome to the club.
I haven't had a phone contract for years. It's silly to pay the prices they want when you can just buy a phone outright and save a TON of money.

Especially if you can live with last year's devices. Though now that the Moto G is coming and the Nexus line is always cheap, there's really no need to wait a year and buy used.
Old November 19th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #6
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
The Moto G just hit that sweet spot between the Lumia 520/521 and the Nexus phones. Honestly, depending on your budget, those are the only three phones worth considering today. Anything else is for a more specific use, IE, my wife HAS to have an iOD device. I HAVE to have more storage and a removable battery. So even at the current price, the $399 32GB Nexus 5 isn't as appealing to me as the 16GB Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition for $649. I have had zero buyers' remorse since getting this thing.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 03:37 AM   #7
Pahn

Yeah, I don't appreciate the move away from removable storage. Just because Apple charges a huge premium for additional storage doesn't mean that everybody should.

Removable battery isn't really necessary for me, though it's certainly a nice perk. They need to include a capacitor or something in phones so that you can swap batteries without shutting down.

All that said, my phone has neither of these and I still enjoy it thoroughly. The more annoying part is the stupid S-ON/OFF crap that HTC does.
Old November 20th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #8
RookieCAF

RookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 331
Games Wanted: 5
I have no qualms with the design choices on my new phone. It fills the bill for what I want my phone to do, for a price that fits my budget.

I do understand why it can , or would be an issue for some.

Now, Just waiting for Ballistic to come out with a case.
So, what are you saying. That men actually pay you for sex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefMATRIXense
that's correct.

RookieCAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 12:55 AM   #9
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
Yeah, I don't appreciate the move away from removable storage. Just because Apple charges a huge premium for additional storage doesn't mean that everybody should.
At least Apple gives you the option of 16/32/64GB storage, IE, casual/mainstream/hardcore users. Google? 8/16GB prior to last month. Moto? 16/32. HTC? 32/64 for one carrier, otherwise 32. Phones with 8GB and no MicroSD should not even be an allowable option anymore unless you're targeting the sub-$100 off-contract market. And no phone should be considered flagship or high-end without offering an option of 64GB, be it built-in or expandable.

I'd be ok with giving up my MicroSD slot provided the phone came with a 64GB option.
Old November 21st, 2013, 05:59 PM   #10
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 0
I'm kinda glad some phones are moving away from the slot. With cloud storage becoming useful and music services are plenty, you can make it work. If anything, some cards and storage amounts are tricky, it may help out a small percentage of consumers who don't need to make that purchase decision. Just a phone, you know? But I gotta have my removable battery.

I would just prefer it to be a sausagefest.
Z_E_R_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 07:57 PM   #11
Pahn

Cloud storage is all well and good, but there are plenty of times/places where it's not useful. 2G areas, data caps, planes, etc.

Just give me a damn SD card and let me use the cloud for other stuff.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 12:55 AM   #12
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

The hell you using that space for? I have 8GBs, hundreds of cat pics, a few dozen albums, plenty of space. As for coverage, there's enough wifi out there if it is that bad. If you're not getting enough signal to Dropbox or stream time to upgrade.

Old November 24th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #13
notsofun28

notsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant future

moto g is without lte? i dont think i would like that....
Old November 24th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #14
Pahn

Then look at the Nexus 5. As long as I have HSPA+, I don't really need LTE. At least not enough to pay more for it.
Old November 27th, 2013, 12:35 AM   #15
Pahn

GSM Moto G is available for purchase now, shipping (free) in early December. US or Global variant.

I bought one. If I like it enough, it'll replace my HTC One S. If not, I'll sell it or something.

I bought a US version because I'm on T-Mobile. I'm pretty sure they've refarmed their spectrum around me, but I can't be 100% sure without testing it myself. There are no dots in my town on airportal.de. No biggie, I don't plan on ever using it outside the US.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 11:58 AM   #16
George

George has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura about

Live!: G Monroy

Games Owned: 1
All phones going forward need to have a slot for more storage or 128GB minimum.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 02:51 PM   #17
Baron3ss

Baron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
All phones going forward need to have a slot for more storage or 128GB minimum.
what are you storing that requires that much room?
Baron3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 06:21 PM   #18
AnimeJoe

AnimeJoe is on a distinguished roadAnimeJoe is on a distinguished road

Games Owned: 405
Games Wanted: 2
Send a message via AIM to AnimeJoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron3ss View Post
Probably hentai to view on-the-go.
AnimeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 09:48 PM   #19
Z_E_R_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron3ss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeJoe View Post
Probably hentai to view on-the-go.
I suspect he is making his own content.

Old December 21st, 2013, 01:39 PM   #20
Pahn

Moto G first impressions.

So I finally got to mess with my Moto G last night, after receiving it while I was, of course, out of state. (I went to Oakland, BTW.)

My first impression is that this phone is exactly an HTC One S, or more accurately an HTC One X. Seems to weigh about the same in the hand, similar form factor, and similar features (FM radio! But why not AM as well?).

Second impression is that Google is now guilty of adding bloatware of its own. I don't use Books, or Magazines, or the other magazine app, or rent their videos or buy their music. So why can't I uninstall this crap? At least make the Music app a capable player. Then you've got Moto apps as well. The Migrate app was at least useful (once) to pull all the data from my One S via WiFi Direct.

Honestly, I'm seeing very little difference between my two phones. One the one hand, the Moto G definitely has a faster CPU/GPU. The One S has the better camera. The camera is more useful to me, with a new son and very little desire to wade through stupid Android games, especially now that everything is designed around in-app purchases.

The One S has a more premium look and feel. It's thinner and has a metal body, versus the flimsy plastic one of the Moto G. The screen size is 0.2" smaller, but given that the One S has dedicated capacitive buttons and the Moto G doesn't, I'd argue that the One S has more useful screen space available.

So really, if you're going to buy a Moto G, just buy a One S or X instead. If stock Android is really that important to you, I suppose it could make a difference, but I honestly don't mind Sense. I actually really like the calculator and FM radio widgets that HTC includes. The radio is more intuitive on the HTC phones as well, though it seems to pick up far fewer stations.

At this point, I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the Moto G or the One S. Any thoughts?
Old December 22nd, 2013, 06:30 PM   #21
Exodus

Quote:
Second impression is that Google is now guilty of adding bloatware of its own. I don't use Books, or Magazines, or the other magazine app, or rent their videos or buy their music. So why can't I uninstall this crap?
Go to settings --> apps, locate the app, and select "disable." This will also remove any updates that you've installed. You should also force stop (to clear from RAM, otherwise this will be done automatically on reboot), and clear data (to clear any garbage it left behind).

This has the effect of uninstalling the app. It's dormant on the device as part of the firmware and can be reactivated later if needed. The vast majority of non-required apps on Google/Moto's handsets allow you to disable in this manner.

Quote:
At least make the Music app a capable player.
I've switched to Google Music and have had very few issues with it. What issues are you having? Otherwise, just disable it (see above) and use the music player of your choice.

Quote:
One the one hand, the Moto G definitely has a faster CPU/GPU.
It's the opposite, actually. The Moto G's GPU is the Adreno 305, which is roughly half as fast as the Adreno 225 in the HTC One S.

On the CPU front, the HTC One S uses a dual-core 1.5ghz Krait CPU, whereas the Moto G uses a quad-core 1.2ghz A7. Clock for clock, Krait is nearly twice as fast as the A7. Give the faster core speeds, and the fact that most mobile apps don't make solid use of multiple cores, the HTC One S is significantly faster. If you could max out every core on these devices, the One S would still be about 10% faster.

Any speed differences that you notice between these two phones is due to the difference in software.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 07:20 PM   #22
Z_E_R_O

Yeah, man it is easy. Been there since ICS. Built in disable, no root needed. Those are the Google Apps, like as in Google App package. I always grab the latest full Paranoid Android or Banks Gapps packs when flashing new stuff. It is in no way bloatware at all. They are there because it is part of the Nexus experience. Quite frankly they are decent and useful. For the most part I rip out Keep, Games, the redundant items. Then take out Maps since I only use Waze. You can pretty much do with them what you want. The new Newstand is a mashing of Currents and another old app, they are not bad.

GEL sucks. The launcher is just annoying.

Try Apex, Nova, or Buzz, find a home you like. If you get the experience you want stick to it. I know you hate the HTC s-off/s-on. I don't really like Motorola. Blur is just Blur, it's Blur...yuk. You have two phones I wouldn't choose. Sense works for some people.

But Play Music is solid. I hated the interface, then hated the new interface. Grew out of it because of the value of what is provided. Always reading about people having problems. Never understood it. Maybe you should clear the app data and try again? I don't know. The PC/upload end is HORRIBLE and a very slow experience. Love Google Music! On custom roms it works perfect with DSP Manager and has always provided a stellar experience.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 08:22 PM   #23
Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_E_R_O View Post
I don't really like Motorola. Blur is just Blur, it's Blur...yuk. You have two phones I wouldn't choose. Sense works for some people.
Blur is dead. It's not used on any new Motorola product.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:15 PM   #24
Z_E_R_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
Blur is dead. It's not used on any new Motorola product.
Really? Well that's a plus. Sounds like they still load it down with all that sync shit tho. Nice to know. My wife needs something new. Will include some of their stuff in the search.

Old December 23rd, 2013, 12:27 AM   #25
Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_E_R_O View Post
Really? Well that's a plus. Sounds like they still load it down with all that sync shit tho. Nice to know. My wife needs something new. Will include some of their stuff in the search.
Moto's new phones, the X and the G, are essentially stock Android. Their changes are largely under the hood (active notifications on the X, always-on Google Now). Their sync feature now is a service, and it's new (it wasn't available at the X's launch). It's not like their old product.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: