ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Microsoft
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Microsoft Most powerful console available. The Xbox is doing well on its homecourt, but on the road sales aren't dominating.

Old November 3rd, 2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Shaolin

Shaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 92
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via ICQ to Shaolin Send a message via Yahoo to Shaolin
Dead Disc Drive

It simply won't read discs anymore. What would be the recommended course of action?
  • Purchase new 360: obviously most expensive option, most likely to be reliable for the long term. Could also upgrade to the 250gb harddrive.
  • Repair: probably about $70, maybe a limited time warranty.
  • Buy used: mid price option but crapshoot for reliability.

In the meantime I'll be playing games on the hard drive, arcade titles and such. No plans to buy the XBone at least until Xmas of next year (if then).

Shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Buy the drive and replace it yourself. It's not hard.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 08:49 PM   #3
2Legit84

2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts
Games Owned: 0

Freakish Mind
Send a message via AIM to 2Legit84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
Buy the drive and replace it yourself. It's not hard.

I don't think you can do that, I tried swapping drives from one xbox to another and it would not accept the new drive because it wasn't assigned to that xbox.
2Legit84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #4
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Legit84 View Post
I don't think you can do that, I tried swapping drives from one xbox to another and it would not accept the new drive because it wasn't assigned to that xbox.
It's my understanding that it has to be the same model, or you might have to flash some firmware.

Of course, I've not researched it much.

EDIT: A bit of research reveals that yes, it has to be the same model and you either swap circuit boards or recover and flash firmware.

http://hardandsoftgaming.wordpress.c...rd-transplant/

Shao, I have a Hitachi-LG Model GDR-3120L that you can have for the price of shipping if yours happens to be the same model. Check the link above.

Last edited by Pahn : November 4th, 2013 at 01:33 AM.
Pahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #5
Shaolin

Shaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 92
Send a message via ICQ to Shaolin Send a message via Yahoo to Shaolin
Thanks for the offer, but researching the DIY route it seems like more work than I want to undertake right now. Local shop says they can fix it for forty and it takes an hour or two. Fugg it. I'll support a small business and save myself the headache.

Shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #6
Pahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
Thanks for the offer, but researching the DIY route it seems like more work than I want to undertake right now. Local shop says they can fix it for forty and it takes an hour or two. Fugg it. I'll support a small business and save myself the headache.
No worries.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: