ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gadgets & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 15th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #1
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Games Wanted: 0
Just how bad is Verizon's bloatware? A moto X comparison

I had a chance to play with a 2 16GB Moto Xs, one for AT&T and one for Verizon. I felt that this phone perfectly highlights Verizon's intervention with Android. Both phones were new and out of the box.

User visible storage - this is the amount of storage visible to the user on a brand new device (available storage will be less). This amount is reduced by the amount of the onboard 16GB reserved for firmware.

AT&T Moto X - 10.1GB
Verizon Moto X - 8.8GB

Ram usage - in this case, it was a fresh bootup after about 5 minutes of allowing Android to cache commonly used applications. Typically, my S4 GPe uses about 750MB of its available 2GB.

AT&T Moto X - 493MB
Verizon Moto X - 1.3GB

I was shocked on both ends. The AT&T variant has so little bloatware that is told to always cache, that the phone is very slim in this regard. Apps that you download will of course raise this number over time. But just WOW on Verizon. Apparently they've placed the top running priority on all of their apps and they ALL load.

Thankfully, a majority of their apps can be disabled, but not all can. Please, for the love of God, Verizon, get the fuck out of the way of Android.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
And their 3G speeds are abysmal.

Ugh, I can't wait until I have a decent GSM phone.
Old September 16th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
And their 3G speeds are abysmal.

Ugh, I can't wait until I have a decent GSM phone.
Nexus 4 is down to $249 straight from Google. Get it while you can.
Old September 16th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
Nexus 4 is down to $249 straight from Google. Get it while you can.
Never mind. It sold out tonight. Outside of T-Mobile, the Nexus 4 is gone. Nexus 5 should be out soon, within the October 15 to November 15 window.
Old September 17th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #5
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

I've been eying the Xperia Z on swappa. I'd consider other Xperia phones. I know they're not generally top notch, but I like the style, and they typically can be had under $200 (not the Z, obviously).

Of course, I'd also consider an iPhone 5. I think it would be better to wait for the 5s/c to come out and flood the market with 5's.
Old September 27th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #6
Pahn

Already mentioned that I picked up a T-Mo HTC One S.

I thought Verizon had a lot of crapware on their phones.

JEBUS. Between T-Mobile, HTC, and Google, this thing was chock full of crap. Thankfully, it was easy to root and there's a handy utility for clearing out all the crapware (so it actually STAYS gone). Sneaky T-Mo makes stuff come back if you just delete it with root explorer.
Old September 27th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #7
Exodus

How much did you pay for that phone?
Old September 27th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #8
Pahn

$165 on ebay.
Old September 27th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 0
To remove system apps. If I am using freshly rooted stock device......I have to use SuperSU, period. If I am on 4.2.2 or below, Kush's superuser is better than chainfire's. If you have to use chainfire it is fine. SuperSU offers better compatibility, JMHO. I have had device issues where playing with another su caused settings not to stick, things play better with SuperSU.
I bought Titanium. It's solid and a legend.
Open Titanium, scroll to app, CLEAR APP DATA. Remove that fucker.
Repeat. Tear out what you want. When you are done......reboot into recovery and wipe your cache and dalvik cache. Should the app come back because of stock ROM voodoo.... simply add a step where you freeze the app after you wipe the app data before removal. Gold. Then you back ALL that shit up, and simply have to jump through easy hoops with new installs, etc.

I would just prefer it to be a sausagefest.
Z_E_R_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #10
Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
$165 on ebay.
Good deal. I was worried that you had paid full price instead of getting a Nexus for less
Old September 30th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #11
Pahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
Good deal. I was worried that you had paid full price instead of getting a Nexus for less
What? Me, pay full price?

Surely you jest...
Old October 1st, 2013, 08:34 PM   #12
Bigg Russ

Bigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Bigg Russ

Games Owned: 73
Send a message via AIM to Bigg Russ Send a message via Yahoo to Bigg Russ
I'm off Verizon tomorrow. Finally. Headed back to Sprint.
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:59 PM   #13
Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Russ View Post
I'm off Verizon tomorrow. Finally. Headed back to Sprint.
Is Sprint known to do well where you live and in areas that you frequent? I ask, because Sprint is the worst of the big-4 carriers. Their coverage footprint is heavily dependent on roaming agreements with Verizon, since Sprint's native footprint is more urban. In their native areas, 3G speeds are craptastic, bordering on Edge speeds offered by AT&T and T-Mobile. In a nationwide test, Sprint literally took 4th place in an LTE comparison. And the worst part? This was before T-Mobile had their LTE network up and running. They had Verizon/AT&T LTE and T-Mobile HSPA+ slaughtering Sprint LTE in these tests.

If you know what you're getting into, then you're fine. But if you're not sure, look at other options, please. T-Mobile is a great bet. If their coverage lacks in your area, first look at AT&T. If their coverage is fine, get AIO Wireless, which is AT&T's new prepaid option. So much cheaper and still offers unlimited data. You can use any GSM phone. You're not limited to what AT&T sells.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:25 AM   #14
Pahn

I'm loving T-Mobile so far. My coverage at and around the house here in a very small town is middling. But hey, I've got WiFi calling.

Their HSPA+ speeds outclass my Comcast internet, hands down. (I have the crappiest tier of internet service, which advertises 1.5 mbps).

And the price is right. I'm on the $30 for 100/unlimited/unlimited plan.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: