ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gadgets & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 31st, 2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Games Wanted: 0
Another Nexus-experience device, HTC One Google Edition confirmed

http://blog.htc.com/2013/05/htc-one-...perience/?gb25

HTC One 32GB developer edition with stock Android. No support for T-Mobile AWS HSPA+.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2013, 09:32 AM   #2
Baron3ss

Baron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished road

Games Owned: 0
I just got the stock HTC One. I don't think Sense hurts it, oddly enough. The photo options are certainly cool.
Baron3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #3
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron3ss View Post
I just got the stock HTC One. I don't think Sense hurts it, oddly enough. The photo options are certainly cool.
Sense is excellent. I think that the HTC One > Galaxy S4, but with the Google Editions, the S4 is better. Stock Android fixes most of the issues with the S4, making it a more well rounded device. The problems with the One aren't in the software, it's the hardware. While it's an amazing device, it has design choices like no removable battery, lack of expandable storage (not as much an issue since HTC doesn't shaft you with just 16GB), and a device that isn't as compact relative to the screen size as the S4. These design choices can be a plus or a minus, depending on a person's preferences, but they can't be changed by software. The primary issues with the S4 are resolved by the software change.

It's difficult for me to explain without sounding like a fanboy. If my only options were the Touchwiz S4 and the Sense One, it would be a touch choice with compromises all around. But for the Google Editions, the S4 wins hands down, for me. That's why I bought it.
Old September 7th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #4
Baron3ss

Baron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished road

Games Owned: 0
Is the battery really a deal breaker? I've been using iPhones since the 3G came out. Never really worried about battery replacement. Thus far, the One has a great battery compared to the 4S it replaced.

I agree on the screen-to-device ratio being kinda whack, but the device just feels so premium that I can overlook it.
Baron3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron3ss View Post
Is the battery really a deal breaker? I've been using iPhones since the 3G came out. Never really worried about battery replacement. Thus far, the One has a great battery compared to the 4S it replaced.

I agree on the screen-to-device ratio being kinda whack, but the device just feels so premium that I can overlook it.
I tend to have some extreme usage patterns. My last two phones (HTC Incredible and Samsung Galaxy S II) needed their batteries replaced inside of one year. The batteries degrade too much, but again, I have abnormal usage patterns. Samsung has a specific degradation level (if the battery falls to <80% capacity within 12 months), so I could have RMA'ed, but getting a higher capacity Anker for $9 was a better deal than shipping to the UK.

A Nexus 4 would have been ok, or an Xperia Z as both are relatively easy to open, replace the battery, and re-seal. For once a year this wouldn't be a big deal. But the HTC One cannot be unsealed without being destroyed. I called them to get a quote on battery replacement and the CSR told me $75 to look at it, $40 for the battery, and I pay one-way shipping. Fuck...that...

As to the screen real-estate the HTC One has those dual speakers on the front which requires the extra bezel space. Since I generally use headphones I appreciate the larger screen within a similar form factor. When I have had to use the external speaker it's been more than adequate.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: