ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General ConsoleCity's general discussion forum, post anything and everything here.

Old April 17th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #1
Arod1983

Arod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant future

Games Owned: 22
Games Wanted: 0
Background Checks

I don't understand how this could have not passed. I have to take a test to get a drivers license, get into college, and to be in most professions (doctor, lawyer, accountant, stockbroker, etc). I have to get a credit check for a loan, background check for most jobs YET we can't pass a rule that requires background checks on all gun purchases?

"But it would not have prevented Newtown". That's not the point. In general, it makes sense and could prevent some people from buying guns that shouldn't have guns. Period. Everyone can/should have their opinions, I just don't get it.
Arod1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:18 AM   #2
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 95
I had heard a poll that 90% of the country was in favor of the proposed background checks, although I'm not sure the details of the poll (who conducted it, the sample size, etc.). Either way, if the numbers are to be believed it looks like the will of the people was completely ignored. Can't say I'm surprised.
Old April 18th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #3
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: MarsupialJones

Games Owned: 149
Old April 18th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #4
2Legit84

2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts

Live!: Freakish Mind

Games Owned: 0
Send a message via AIM to 2Legit84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
I had heard a poll that 90% of the country was in favor of the proposed background checks, although I'm not sure the details of the poll (who conducted it, the sample size, etc.). Either way, if the numbers are to be believed it looks like the will of the people was completely ignored. Can't say I'm surprised.
The 10% that opposed it was louder then the 90% for it.
2Legit84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 01:28 PM   #5
Erbs

Erbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Erbs

Games Owned: 3
Send a message via AIM to Erbs Send a message via MSN to Erbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Legit84 View Post
The 10% that opposed it was louder then the 90% for it.
Embarrassing. The government is supposed to be the voice of the people.

"I just didn't realize that freaks like Xeo had been busy building shrines in their bedrooms to the God of PGR2 before I started criticising the game." - DG

http://s13.invisionfree.com/Ghosts_o...ex.php?act=idx
Erbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #6
RookieCAF

RookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 331
Games Wanted: 5
So I guess most people are for the gutting of the bill of rights then?
So, what are you saying. That men actually pay you for sex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefMATRIXense
that's correct.

RookieCAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #7
RookieCAF

RookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
that's correct.

Old April 18th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #8
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieCAF View Post
Old April 18th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #9
Erbs

Erbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Erbs

Games Owned: 3
Send a message via AIM to Erbs Send a message via MSN to Erbs
Quote:
You think we should have regulations for driving cars? Cars weren't around in the 1700's. Nothing in the Bill of Rights or Constitution about them. Just curious. I know you're a "gun nut", but c'mon. You're in the minority here and the law wouldn't ban guns. We're going to get nowhere here, but whatever. 90% of the country was in favor of this. It's embarrassing.

"I just didn't realize that freaks like Xeo had been busy building shrines in their bedrooms to the God of PGR2 before I started criticising the game." - DG

http://s13.invisionfree.com/Ghosts_o...ex.php?act=idx
Erbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #10
RookieCAF

How does cars enter a bill of rights discussion? Wow.

Gun Nut? I thought we were past that.

90%? LOL. Most likely the same people who will believe the sky is Purple and the clouds are made of cotton balls.

Keep on believing that, someday we'll all be slaves again.

Quote:
that's correct.

Old April 18th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #11
Arod1983

Arod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant future

Quote:
How does cars enter a bill of rights discussion? Wow.

Gun Nut? I thought we were past that.

90%? LOL. Most likely the same people who will believe the sky is Purple and the clouds are made of cotton balls.

Keep on believing that, someday we'll all be slaves again.
Do you support background checks?
Old April 18th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #12
RookieCAF

I have have them done, I am not a fan but they do not need to be expanded. I submit to one everytime I purchase a firearm, and anything I buy on my C&R is entered into my bound book.

So, Do you think a criminal will pass a background check? Your question is kind of pointless

Quote:
that's correct.

Old April 18th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #13
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I have have them done, I am not a fan but they do not need to be expanded. I submit to one everytime I purchase a firearm, and anything I buy on my C&R is entered into my bound book.

So, Do you think a criminal will pass a background check? Your question is kind of pointless
The support was there. This is no slippery slope. There was no change to the Bill. Just an expansion of background checks. If i have to have one for employment...sorry different thing...NO! It's not.

Aren't their still states that do not require vehicle inspections?

It's just an added measure, it's fine.

Stop calling Bob a gun nut, dammit! He's just a regular nut.

I would just prefer it to be a sausagefest.
Z_E_R_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #14
Arod1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_E_R_O View Post
The support was there. This is no slippery slope. There was no change to the Bill. Just an expansion of background checks. If i have to have one for employment...sorry different thing...NO! It's not.

Aren't their still states that do not require vehicle inspections?

It's just an added measure, it's fine.

Stop calling Bob a gun nut, dammit! He's just a regular nut.
CT doesn't require vehicle inspections.
Old April 18th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #15
Arod1983

Quote:

How is it pointless? You can admit there are people that currently buy thru the loopholes that wouldn't normally pass, right? Doesn't seem like it would effect you anymore than it currently does.
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #16
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Gun nuts' only argument is the slippery slope.

Of course, limiting magazine capacities or requiring background checks does nothing to infringe upon anybody's rights.

Congress does not serve the people, it's simple as that.
Old April 19th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #17
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
Gun nuts' only argument is the slippery slope.

Of course, limiting magazine capacities or requiring background checks does nothing to infringe upon anybody's rights.

Congress does not serve the people, it's simple as that.
PENN requires the vehicle inspections but not MD, right? Seems something like that.

Who has gun? Oh, fuck! Bear have gun! Bear stuff banana in tailpipe! Where did my freedom go? Oh, who is driving freedom? Bear driving freedom!

I would just prefer it to be a sausagefest.
Z_E_R_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #18
speKtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_E_R_O View Post
Who has gun? Oh, fuck! Bear have gun! Bear stuff banana in tailpipe! Where did my freedom go? Oh, who is driving freedom? Bear driving freedom!

The scary thing is I actually know what you are talking about here (which might be the first time EVER i have known what you are talking about).

Old April 20th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #19
molsonmuscle

molsonmuscle is just really nicemolsonmuscle is just really nicemolsonmuscle is just really nicemolsonmuscle is just really nicemolsonmuscle is just really nicemolsonmuscle is just really nicemolsonmuscle is just really nicemolsonmuscle is just really nicemolsonmuscle is just really nicemolsonmuscle is just really nicemolsonmuscle is just really nice

Games Owned: 15
Send a message via MSN to molsonmuscle Send a message via Yahoo to molsonmuscle
I'm just saddened by the fact that it's easier to get a gun in the US then it is to vote.
Old April 21st, 2013, 07:21 AM   #20
Omi-san

Omi-san has a reputation beyond reputeOmi-san has a reputation beyond reputeOmi-san has a reputation beyond reputeOmi-san has a reputation beyond reputeOmi-san has a reputation beyond reputeOmi-san has a reputation beyond reputeOmi-san has a reputation beyond reputeOmi-san has a reputation beyond reputeOmi-san has a reputation beyond reputeOmi-san has a reputation beyond reputeOmi-san has a reputation beyond repute

Adam Lanza used his mother's guns. A background check wouldn't have changed anything. I'm not against background checks, but making it about Sandy Hook and "saving the kids" is fucking stupid and hypocritical. How many of the mass shooters could have been or were stopped by existing background checks? Seung-Hui Cho sure wasn't, he passed the background checks when he bought his pistols.

The kind of people who don't pass background checks are not the ones who commit mass shootings, they are known criminals who can get their guns on the black market anyway.

Last edited by Omi-san : April 21st, 2013 at 07:25 AM.
Omi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2013, 09:45 AM   #21
George

George has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura about

Live!: G Monroy

Games Owned: 1
LOL

It is funny to me that this did not pass.

I do not care about gun regulation or most things that people want regulated like condoms in the porn industry. http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...,3683860.story

What is even funnier to me though is that people still believe that voting means anything. The super wealthy run this country. It is too late to regain control of the country by voting.
Old April 21st, 2013, 12:20 PM   #22
speKtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omi-san View Post
. How many of the mass shooters could have been or were stopped by existing background checks? Seung-Hui Cho sure wasn't, he passed the background checks when he bought his pistols.
So did the guy who shot up the theatre in Colorado. Which is alarming because both of them had serious documented mental health issues.
Old April 21st, 2013, 07:06 PM   #23
Setec

Setec is on a distinguished roadSetec is on a distinguished roadSetec is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arod1983 View Post
I don't understand how this could have not passed.
This is simple. The reason the bill didn't pass is because for the 90% who support the bill gun control falls as their 4th or 5th most important issue to vote on. For the 10% who were against it, gun control is their most important issue. The 90% won't vote their politician out of office because they didn't vote for stricter gun control measure, but the 10% will vote against someone who did.
Setec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2013, 08:09 PM   #24
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setec View Post
This is simple. The reason the bill didn't pass is because for the 90% who support the bill gun control falls as their 4th or 5th most important issue to vote on. For the 10% who were against it, gun control is their most important issue. The 90% won't vote their politician out of office because they didn't vote for stricter gun control measure, but the 10% will vote against someone who did.
This is absolutely true. Which is really unfortunate, because gun nuts could no doubt disproportionally benefit from shit completely unrelated to gun control.

Things like:
improved education
modern infrastructure
universal health care
green energy/energy efficiency
US jobs

But they'll vote for whoever vows not to take their guns. Anti-abortion stances are an added bonus.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:21 AM   #25
notsofun28

notsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
Things like:
improved education
modern infrastructure
universal health care
green energy/energy efficiency
US jobs
Those are all just more opportunities for the gov't to tell me what to do/control people. /s

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: