ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Sony
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sony They've led sales in the last console generation and are working on the next with the PS3. Will that and the PSP keep them moving at the top of the pack? Discuss it here.

Old September 11th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #1
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Lightbulb PS Vita TV: Well, I don't need to buy an Ouya anymore.

So you've got a $100 device that plays Vita games (and PSP and PSOne) on the TV with a PS4 (and maybe PS3?) controller. It'll do all the streaming services. And streams PS4 games, just like the Vita handheld.

At $100, this is impulse purchase territory, and almost completely invalidates the Ouya (excepting emulators). If the developer community manages to crack this thing open, it'll be the best thing ever.
Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #2
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
Question

PS Vita TV? I've don't know anything about this. I've been out of forums and gaming for most of the year. Can you catch me up on this?
Old September 16th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #3
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

It's essentially a half-price PS Vita without a screen. It's got the form factor of a streamer box (like Sony's take on a Roku), and can stream Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, etc. It uses the DS3 and can play PSP and PSOne games from PSN. Additionally, if you own a PS4, you can run PS4 games on the PS4 but stream them locally to the Vita TV for playing in another room. It's technically possible but I don't think it's been confirmed that you'll be able to do the same with PS3 games, like you can with a PSP.

Of course, the most interesting part would be if the hacking community ever managed to crack the hardware. Then we'd have emulators and such, which is the one thing Ouya has that this doesn't. That said, there has been little if any progress in cracking the Vita, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Some people view this as an attempt to sell Vita games to a larger audience. Some people see it as a shot across the bow of microconsoles like the Ouya and Gamestick. I'm not really sure what it is, but it sounds good to me. At $100, it's practically an impulse purchase. Too bad it's not confirmed for US release...yet.
Old September 19th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
Man, I don't know anything about this 'miniconsoles'. I'm really out of the loop. I also never understood the whole streaming PS3 games to the PSP even though it was explained to me once before. I'm getting old and following technology a lot less these days.
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:12 AM   #5
Shaolin

Shaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 92
Send a message via ICQ to Shaolin Send a message via Yahoo to Shaolin
I've gotten a ton of Vita games via the PSN service, but no Vita. Going to see if any good deals come up on Black Friday.

Shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #6
Pahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
I've gotten a ton of Vita games via the PSN service, but no Vita. Going to see if any good deals come up on Black Friday.
Yeah, a lot of the PS3 games I want offer cross buy. It would be nice to have the alternate device to make use of that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: