ConsoleCity Forums   GameStop, Inc.

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gaming
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gaming One place to talk all games

Old June 17th, 2011, 02:57 AM   #1
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 191
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via AIM to bigloser Send a message via MSN to bigloser
Anyone Disappointed with Microsoft's New Direction?

This topic might seem a little silly considering there has been no shortage of games on the 360 thanks to 3rd party publishers.

But is anyone a little disappointed in what Microsoft has become as a first party publisher over the past few years? Microsoft has shifted their focus from developing exclusive games for their platform, to focusing on locking up timed exclusive content like Call of Duty/Homefront map packs and building their casual audience with Kinect.

While Sony just keeps plugging away and creating more exclusive content for their platform.

These two companies seem to have two completely different strategies, and at the moment Microsoft's strategy seems to be working better at the register. But I wonder how sustainable long term is Microsoft's strategy.

What I mean by that, if Microsoft continues their trend into the next generation of buying timed exclusive 3rd party content instead of really creating their own IPs/content. What reason will there be to buy the next Xbox console over the competition? Because at the moment I see very little reason anyone would, that's including myself.

This is a rundown of 2011 titles published up untill the time of this posting for Microsoft and Sony.

Sony:
  • LittleBigPlanet 2
  • DC Universe Online
  • Killzone 3
  • MLB 11: The Show
  • PlayStation Move Heroes
  • MotorStorm: Apocalypse
  • SOCOM 4
  • Infamous 2

Microsoft:
  • NONE

And here's the title's being published by the two for the remainder of the year.

Sony:
  • Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
  • Resistance 3
  • Twisted Metal
  • Ico & Shadow of the Colossus: The Collection
  • Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
  • God of War: Origins Collection
  • Sorcery
  • Medieval Moves: Deadmund's Quest
  • Carnival Island
  • Everybody Dance

Microsoft:
  • Forza Motorsport 4
  • Gears of War 3
  • Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
  • The Gunstringer
  • Kinect Sports: Season Two
  • Kinect Star Wars
  • Kinect Disneyland Adventures

Last edited by bigloser : June 17th, 2011 at 02:59 AM.
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2011, 08:34 AM   #2
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 0
Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
Most of sony's franchise don't really excite me though.

Socom had a chance, but the game sucked.

With MS, they will sell 5million copies of gears 3 and Halo 4 in a month.

those stupid as kinect games will probably do the same thing by xmas.

But you're right it's very frustrating MS hasn't tried building up it's in house developers, instead they are selling them or getting rid of them.

What happened to rareware and ensemble studios?

Looks like rare is making the stupid kinect games, I really couldn't be motivated to go to work everyday if that's what I had to develop.

Last edited by turningpoint : June 17th, 2011 at 08:39 AM.
turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #3
-Tetsuo-

-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light

That is why there is literally nothing for me on the 360 right now. THe only game i really, really want to get this year for the 360 is Dark Souls. I thought I would have been excited for Gears 3, but I didn't make an ounce of effort to get into the beta.
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Vid Gamer

Vid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of light

Live!: BizzyBum
PSN: BizzyBum
Steam: BizzyBum

Games Owned: 375
It's all turning to casual bullshit. It started with the Wii (hey, I love Nintendo and their 1st party games, but it showed how casual games can rake in the dough). Sony pretty much did a copy paste with the Move and Microsoft tried to get cute and go a step further with hands free but both are shit, and now Sony and Microsoft are forcing Devs to use this so it gets some hype. And now you also have the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad which is also hurting because you have indie games making huge amounts of money without spending huge movie-like budgets on games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tetsuo- View Post
I thought I would have been excited for Gears 3, but I didn't make an ounce of effort to get into the beta.
Gears 3 is awesome. Wayyy better than that shitfest that was Gears 2.
Vid Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 95
Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed with Microsoft's lack of effort, when it comes to first party titles... and with most of them being more sequels. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to Forza 4, Halo, and Gears of War 3, but something new every now and then would be nice!
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #6
krazy

krazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 77
Games Wanted: 61
Send a message via AIM to krazy Send a message via MSN to krazy Send a message via Yahoo to krazy
What is the Kinect going to do in Mass Effect 3?
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #7
Vid Gamer

Vid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy View Post
What is the Kinect going to do in Mass Effect 3?
I think just voice commands. You can speak the dialogue options instead of choosing them and give commands to your squad in real time.
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #8
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
Question

Perhaps I'm not understand this because I'm a casual gamer (by nerd standards), but is it really an issue what one publisher or developers does when there are hundreds of games being released every year by tons of different companies?

I don't get it when people talk about there being "nothing to play", especially on the 360. How much time do some of your have? I haven't been able to touch barely any of the 360 games that I own for lack of time and an over abundance of titles to chose from.

Is it because most here mainly play multiplayer online? That's probably it, I guess. If so, than I suppose I can see that, but if that's not a big factor, I don't get how what one company does (Microsoft at that) really matter all that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Gamer View Post
It's all turning to casual bullshit. It started with the Wii (hey, I love Nintendo and their 1st party games, but it showed how casual games can rake in the dough). Sony pretty much did a copy paste with the Move and Microsoft tried to get cute and go a step further with hands free but both are shit, and now Sony and Microsoft are forcing Devs to use this so it gets some hype. And now you also have the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad which is also hurting because you have indie games making huge amounts of money without spending huge movie-like budgets on games.
I don't agree that it's all turning to casual bullshit because I don't purchase any of those types of games, yet I've never been at a loss for something to play this (or any) generation. I really don't get the bold part though, about how indie games are hurting the industry (or did you mean just the Apple platforms? I don't really understand). What's wrong with not spending Hollywood movie budgets on games? If anything that's a good thing. It'll keep costs down for the consumer, and allow smaller developers the freedom to make niche games that otherwise would never get the green light.
Old June 17th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #9
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon Storm View Post
Perhaps I'm not understand this because I'm a casual gamer (by nerd standards), but is it really an issue what one publisher or developers does when there are hundreds of games being released every year by tons of different companies?

I don't get it when people talk about there being "nothing to play", especially on the 360. How much time do some of your have? I haven't been able to touch barely any of the 360 games that I own for lack of time and an over abundance of titles to chose from.

Is it because most here mainly play multiplayer online? That's probably it, I guess. If so, than I suppose I can see that, but if that's not a big factor, I don't get how what one company does (Microsoft at that) really matter all that much.

I don't agree that it's all turning to casual bullshit because I don't purchase any of those types of games, yet I've never been at a loss for something to play this (or any) generation. I really don't get the bold part though, about how indie games are hurting the industry (or did you mean just the Apple platforms? I don't really understand). What's wrong with not spending Hollywood movie budgets on games? If anything that's a good thing. It'll keep costs down for the consumer, and allow smaller developers the freedom to make niche games that otherwise would never get the green light.
I think you're missing the point.

There's tons of games to play that I'm sure would be enjoyable, but there's none that are" O wow I have to get this game day 1" type games.

There's a couple coming out, but not many.

Back in the xbox days of glory there seemed to be a I MUST HAVE THIS type game every 3-2 months.

I mean waiting 5 years for a new ghost recon is insane, but at least it will be a "new" game.

It's quite irritating that COD never seems to change sure they release a new version ever 6-10 months, but it's almost exactly the same.

While back in 2003-2006 game had maybe 1 sequal, now they just slap a new name on it and act like it's something different.

Splinter cell series for example.

They released a new one ever 18months or so and it felt like a totally different game because of the awesome updates they would add to the game, it just felt different.

You don't seem to have that anymore.

Shit is getting stale.

Old June 17th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #10
molsonmuscle

molsonmuscle is just really nicemolsonmuscle is just really nicemolsonmuscle is just really nicemolsonmuscle is just really nicemolsonmuscle is just really nicemolsonmuscle is just really nicemolsonmuscle is just really nicemolsonmuscle is just really nicemolsonmuscle is just really nicemolsonmuscle is just really nicemolsonmuscle is just really nice

Games Owned: 15
Send a message via MSN to molsonmuscle Send a message via Yahoo to molsonmuscle
I don't know why MS always seems so wary of putting out first party titles. They have always made some pretty good games. I remember their sports series that they put out when the XBOX first came out. They had the best Tennis game, a very good hockey game for a first outing and the football wasn't too horrid either.

I honestly think there are just too many marketing executives sitting at the production tables for these companies these days.
Old June 17th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #11
Ibe6yoube9

Ibe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these parts

Live!: threeleggedcow
PSN: ibe6yoube9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon Storm View Post

Is it because most here mainly play multiplayer online?
It has nothing to do with multiplayer from my perspective. The fact of the matter is, that out of the hundreds of games released each year, only a dozen or so are worth buying. One or two may be worth investing a great deal of time. So games you really look forward to are pretty rare.
Old June 17th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #12
Shaolin

Shaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 92
Send a message via ICQ to Shaolin Send a message via Yahoo to Shaolin
Nah, I'm cool. I'd like to see some new IPs but I'm generally happy with the sequels coming out this year and next. Plus there are still a load of great games sitting on the near backlog if/when I get time to play them. I'll probably pick up a Kinect for Xmas too. Child of Eden, dance central, and maybe one other good Kinect game, I can justify the purchase.

Shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #13
Ibe6yoube9

Ibe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these parts

Live!: threeleggedcow
PSN: ibe6yoube9

Quote:
Originally Posted by turningpoint View Post
It's quite irritating that COD never seems to change sure they release a new version ever 6-10 months, but it's almost exactly the same.
If you count the number of CoD games you're at 7 (not including the shitty console only games... eg. Big Red One), with one released every 12 months but for most the modern (no pun intended) series started at 4. Then you can argue that IW and Treyarch games are completely different. The may share the name and key mechanics but they are different ([email protected] and BOps aren't very good).

As for MW, MW2, and MW3, they all share a concurrent story line so they have to be the same with minor changes.
Old June 30th, 2011, 05:15 PM   #14
Mooreberg

Mooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really nice

PSN: Fahrenhype

Games Owned: 112
Send a message via AIM to Mooreberg
Microsoft is basically a lousy publisher at this point. At PAX East they had a room from Halo Reach multiplayer, a display for Gears 3 multiplayer, and then a bunch of shitty Kinect games. Looking at their release schedule this year, it wasn't a fluke. The fact that Gears 3 had to get delayed for "marketing" reasons basically means they had fuck all to publish this fall besides Borza 4 and Kinect games.

If I buy anything on 360 this fall it will be Battlefield 3 if it is the better console version (cannot be bothered with upgrading my PC again for it).
Old June 30th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #15
Erbs

Erbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Erbs

Games Owned: 3
Send a message via AIM to Erbs Send a message via MSN to Erbs
I'm disappointed that Microsoft hasn't done more to increase Friends List capacity, as well as the max number of people allowed in parties (8). That's really annoying.

As far as titles/games go, I like Xbox Live, so 360 is fine with me.

"I just didn't realize that freaks like Xeo had been busy building shrines in their bedrooms to the God of PGR2 before I started criticising the game." - DG

http://s13.invisionfree.com/Ghosts_o...ex.php?act=idx
Erbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 10:33 AM   #16
Sergei

Sergei has a brilliant futureSergei has a brilliant futureSergei has a brilliant futureSergei has a brilliant futureSergei has a brilliant futureSergei has a brilliant futureSergei has a brilliant futureSergei has a brilliant futureSergei has a brilliant futureSergei has a brilliant futureSergei has a brilliant future

What they're doing is smart from a financial point of view. They're betting on their sure-thing first-party adult franchises, third party games, and casual Kinect crap. These things sell.

Sony's is hemoragging money with their first parties, God of War 3 was the last title to clear 2 million in sales. Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, Motorstorm, and MLB The Show are all selling worse than the last. With the first two barely clearing a million in sales, and the latter two hovering around 200'000. Sales just keep getting worse, no matter how much money they throw at the games and how good reviews are.

Microsoft is letting third parties do their work for them and letting the occasional sales monsters (Halo, Gears of War) clean up in stores, which I can perfectly understand. Sony's strategy of falling on their financial sword to satisfy hardcore gamers is good and all (I'm not complaining), but in the business world there's no honor in martyrdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indra View Post
I have no issues with a difficult game, but to deny me sweet weapon upgrades because Im not constantly walking around with a bow and arrow drawn ready shoot a fucking gecko that may or may not be around the next corner at any given moment is absolutely retarded.
Sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 11:08 AM   #17
turningpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei View Post
Sony's strategy of falling on their financial sword to satisfy hardcore gamers is good and all (I'm not complaining), but in the business world there's no honor in martyrdom.
I stil think the PS3 is a more casual system then the 360, until sony gets real with their online support.

Old July 1st, 2011, 12:48 PM   #18
Syndicate

Syndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud of

Live!: Syn Zero
PSN: SynZero-00

Games Owned: 405
Games Wanted: 4
...meh, not really since there isn't much Sony 1st party stuff in the initial list other than LBP2. The second list is only 4 to 1 for me, but Forza 4 will likely keep most gamers busy for a while. With solid 3rd party offerings to be found on both systems and still spending time w/already released titles like say MvC3 I'm not very concerned in regards to finding something to play. Not to mention I still have a lot of other titles left to play through on the 360.

...where has MS has disappointed me though is the Summer of Arcade lineup this year. Only Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet looks to be any good where as in previous years there were at least 3 very solid releases in the event.

"There's one party in Washington. It's the party of money."
David Cay. Johnston

"...forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead."
Phil 3:13

Current Game Rotation - Forza Horizon 3, Forza Motorsport 6, Firewatch, Halo:MCC XB1 | Phantasy Star 360 | PS3 | The Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda, Guacamelee: STCE Wii U
Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 12:53 PM   #19
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post
...meh, not really since there isn't much Sony 1st party stuff in the initial list other than LBP2. The second list is only 4 to 1 for me, but Forza 4 will likely keep most gamers busy for a while. With solid 3rd party offerings to be found on both systems and still spending time w/already released titles like say MvC3 I'm not very concerned in regards to finding something to play. Not to mention I still have a lot of other titles left to play through on the 360.

...where has MS has disappointed me though is the Summer of Arcade lineup this year. Only Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet looks to be any good where as in previous years there were at least 3 very solid releases in the event.
Don't look past Bastion and From Dust. From what I've seen, both games are going to turn out great.
Old January 19th, 2017, 09:58 PM   #20
bigloser

This thread seems truer now than ever. Especially with the cancellation of Scalebound. Plus games like Halo and Gears of War losing their popularity.

Microsoft is in a very weird spot right now when it comes to their first party studios.
Old January 21st, 2017, 02:15 AM   #21
Vid Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloser View Post
This thread seems truer now than ever. Especially with the cancellation of Scalebound. Plus games like Halo and Gears of War losing their popularity.

Microsoft is in a very weird spot right now when it comes to their first party studios.
Both Halo 5 and Gears 4 are fantastic games. Halo 5 was hurt simply because of 343's awful track record with Halo 4 and especially MCC which is still broken to this day. Halo 5 is a much better product then both of those by a long shot. I would put Halo 5's MP as the best in the series right next to Halo 2.

Coalition did a fantastic job with Gears 4 but it might be suffering with being more of the same, at least in terms of the MP. The campaign was pretty damn good and the PC port was amazing. What's really hurting Coalition right now is their handling of those craptastic RNG loot boxes. Lots of shit is absurdly priced and only available with cash. According with their latest title update they seemed to have toned this down but it's definitely put a bad taste in people's mouths.

I'm not sure about Gears, but if 343 rides on the foundation of Halo 5 and makes Halo 6 a better game and gives it a proper PC port it would definitely be a hit.
Old January 21st, 2017, 08:48 AM   #22
bigloser

I wasn't talking so much about the quality of Gears. Halo 5 is fine, I don't care much for it, it definitely lacked content at launch when it came to MP. Not to mention the campaign having huge issues like fighting the same boss like 6 times.

Gears is one of my favorite franchises of all time... and I find the campaign to be pretty mediocre, the core gameplay is fine. But the entire game feels more scaled back when it comes to set pieces, the new characters are far less entertaining than the old ones. The multiplayer is ok, the map designs are as middle of the road and about as boring as you can get in a franchise that became sort of known for excellent map design.

Gears 4 a huge disappointment for me.

But even if those two were the best two games ever created. Microsoft has a gigantic problem if you consider back in 2011 their main franchises were Gears, Forza, Halo, and here we are in 2017, and their only real viable franchises are Gears, Forza, Halo. Two of those 3 franchises have far smaller fan bases, with no new franchises to help prop the Xbox One up.

Microsoft just can't seem to figure out how to create new games anymore, and they haven't really tried all that hard either. It's like somehow MS expected Gears and Halo to be popular forever, and that seems pretty naive.

Another issue with MS is they have the tendency to drop IPs too quick. Alan Wake and Sunset Drive for example, both were critically acclaimed, I feel like both games have gotten amazing word of mouth over the years, and should of continued both franchise and cultivated a fan base. Sony has been surprisingly good at doing that very thing.

Back in 2007 when Uncharted launched it didn't do well at all. In fact it sold so poorly it failed to chart it's first month, and for the longest time the "Uncharted" meme was born. But Sony stuck with the franchise, and here we are at Uncharted 4 which has sold upwards of 8 million copies in under a year. Outselling both Halo 5 and Gears. They have done this with other franchise like InFamous, Sly Cooper, Little Big Planet, and Ratchet & Clank.

Sure there are more PS4s out there than XB1s, but Microsoft's lack of IPs and not currently being the best place to play 3rd party games has made the Xbox One almost obsolete in some ways.

Scorpio should solve one of those issues... but I don't see Microsoft having a "fix" for their first party games anytime soon.

Don Mattrick screwed Microsoft chasing so hard after the casual market... and the damage is still being felt.

Last edited by bigloser : January 21st, 2017 at 08:56 AM.
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2017, 06:45 PM   #23
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: MarsupialJones

Games Owned: 149
I wouldnt even really include Forza as it's entire existence is basically due to the fact that Gran Turismo is a Sony exclusive. Its not like it took a lot of creativity or ingenuity to say "Shit. We need a game like that".
Old January 26th, 2017, 12:13 PM   #24
bigloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by speKtor View Post
I wouldnt even really include Forza as it's entire existence is basically due to the fact that Gran Turismo is a Sony exclusive. Its not like it took a lot of creativity or ingenuity to say "Shit. We need a game like that".
Either way it's still become a quality franchise. With Forza Horizon 3 seemingly selling very well, especially in the UK. I believe it outsold Gears 4 in the UK, and charted in North America which usually doesn't happen with Forza. So it's the one franchise that's growing that they own, unless we count Minecraft, but that's on everything under the sun. Not really an Xbox IP.
Old January 26th, 2017, 04:15 PM   #25
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: MarsupialJones

Games Owned: 149
Oh its definitely a solid franchise but if we are talking about MS's ability to develop new IP's its not really much of an example. Its essentially just a clone (and i dont mean that in a bad way) of another hugely succesfull franchise that was not available to MS and sells largely because of that.

If GT went multiplatform would they even make another Forza?

Last edited by speKtor : January 26th, 2017 at 04:19 PM.
speKtor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: