July 3rd, 2012, 04:15 AM
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Jacksonville, FL.
Spelunky - 2D Roguelike
Spelunky is a 2d roguelike (If you die you lose all items/start from beginning) platformer with 4 player offline co-op. I played the freeware PC version
a few years ago and quite enjoyed it. The XBLA port has a new soundtrack, visuals, better controls, and added offline co-op with a new deathmatch mode. I dunno if the upgrades make it worth $15 when it's free on the PC, but it's a very enjoyable game.
1200 points ($15)
4 player offline
- Polygon - 10 - "We may be playing Spelunky forever...Spelunky is more than a platformer. It transcends the genre, creating an experience easy to pick up and difficult to master, each session unlike the last. "
- EuroGamer - 10 - "Spelunky's astonishing creativity and the spectacular depth that opens up as you make progress make it easy to forget that it's also an extremely competent platformer, with tight, poppy controls that work far better on an Xbox 360 pad than they ever did with a computer keyboard. "
- Destructoid - 9.6 - "All of the additions for Xbox Live Arcade -- most notably, new graphics and sound, competitive multiplayer, and cooperative play -- come together to flesh out what was already impressive in its earlier stages. To avoid Spelunky is to miss out on an incredibly satisfying, well-designed game."
- TeamXbox - 9.0 - "Spelunky is probably not for everyone. For all my attempts to romanticize the game's difficulty, it still demands patience from its players, and that might be too much for some. Those that stick it out though, or have an affinity for similar punishing trials like Dark Souls or Super Meat Boy, will find a game that rewards the time you spend with it with nearly infinite amounts of replayability. It all adds up to make Spelunky the best port of a mining related indie PC game to hit the Xbox. "
- IGN - 9.0 - "Spelunky is a game that takes experts 10 minutes to complete, but it will take you hours before you're remotely ready for that challenge. This is a superb 2D platformer that's as easy to hate as it is to love, and your patience for punishment will be the determining factor. "
- GameInformer - 8.0 - "I may have a hopeless addiction to Spelunky, but it's not an entirely pleasant one. As exciting as it is to play a platformer with an infinite number of new levels to jump, whip, and bomb your way through, the novelty comes at a cost. You need ample patience, time, and skill to make it through Spelunky's ever-changing caves, and much of the hidden content is virtually off limits to all but the most hardcore (and masochistic) gamers. "
Last edited by bigloser : July 3rd, 2012 at 04:42 AM.