ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > PC
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC The oldest and most flexible gaming platform, the PC has evolved and remained a mainstay for gamers. Get your PC gaming and general rig discussion here.

Old November 14th, 2000, 10:40 AM   #1
humanity

humanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 0
Games Wanted: 0
Post Houston, we have a problem (besides a lame topic header)

I am confused as hell right now. I downloaded the Rune demo today, tried to run it, and realized it ran like complete shit. Hell, my mouse even jumped on the menu screens.

Then, I remembered I used to have this problem with UT sometimes. I installed it, tried it out, and realized the same exact thing happens. What the hell is up with this? I also get shitty performance out of Diablo II.

My system specs are as follows currently...

500mhz AMD K6-2 Processor
192mb SDRAM
32mb Riva TNT2 graphics card

I can't think of any other relevant specs. I have the latest Detonator 3 drivers for my graphics card, and the same thing happens even with the official drivers for it.

Any ideas?

------------------
"22 years of pain
And I can feel it closing in
The will to rise above
Tearing my insides out"
humanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2000, 10:55 AM   #2
RookieCAF

RookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 331
Games Wanted: 5
Arrow

Well,Unreal engined games are optimized for Glide, which is the 3d api exclusive to 3dfx cards..

My best advice would be run a complete scandisk/defrag and then kill all the shit in your tray (ICQ,AIM,Winamp Agent,Virus Scanner, etc.. Basically everything except maybe your firewall and Explorer and Systray) and then try it. I have a K6/2 400 and I get descent D3D performance from Rune and UT on my TNT2 Ultra but they both run better on my stone age Voodoo 2's.

I have a utility called end it all that I can email you if you like. It allows you to close all the programs in your tray easily and without doing the CTRL ALT DEL , End Task thing over and over again. If you want it, just drop me an email or Throw me on your ICQ contact list..

------------------
~Rookie
"Oderint Dum Metuant!"
So, what are you saying. That men actually pay you for sex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefMATRIXense
that's correct.

RookieCAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2000, 11:07 AM   #3
RookieCAF

RookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond repute

Thumbs up

Humanity,

I sent a request to your contact list, but I up'd the utility to my webspace. Here's a direct link..

End It All

Virus Scanned by AVG and McAfee's..

------------------
~Rookie
"Oderint Dum Metuant!"

Quote:
that's correct.

Old November 14th, 2000, 11:17 AM   #4
humanity

humanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, I will authorize the next time I open ICQ up.

I tried again after removing one of my 64mb ram carts I was suspective of, and it ran better...but still not great. I wonder why it would run better with less ram.

------------------
"22 years of pain
The will to rise above
Tearing my insides out"
Old November 14th, 2000, 11:22 AM   #5
RookieCAF

Arrow

Is it all PC100? If 128 is PC100 and 64 is PC66 the 66 could be holding it back a little bit.

Seriously, Enditall and a good defrag will do wonders..

------------------
~Rookie
"Oderint Dum Metuant!"

Quote:
that's correct.

Old November 14th, 2000, 11:48 AM   #6
humanity

End It All got me around 5% more system resources, so that's good. Thanks a great deal on that.

The RAM cart that I removed was pretty old, but I'm almost sure it should've been 100. Oh well, I'll just see if I can get rid of it somewhere and pick up another 64 at Best Buy or something (so I can return it right away if it doesn't work).

------------------
"22 years of pain
The will to rise above
Tearing my insides out"
Old November 14th, 2000, 02:08 PM   #7
humanity

Okay, now tell me this doesn't boggle your mind.

I was having problems with a little jumpiness with Half Life: CS, so I decided to take out both of my newly installed 64mb ram add-ons. Well, Rune ran better than with either 128 OR 192mb ram on 64mb ram. What the hell.

Programs open slower with 64, I can't have as many programs open with 64, and I get system lag much more with 64-hell, the games here running worse with more ram open much slower themselves with less. This sucks.

------------------
"22 years of pain
The will to rise above
Tearing my insides out"
Old November 14th, 2000, 03:41 PM   #8
Xero

Xero is an unknown quantity at this point

Games Owned: 41
I had a similar problem the last time I popped a new RAM chip in my machine. I wasn't sure what kind of RAM was already in there, but I assumed it was pc100. It was 64 MB and I added a chip of 128, pc100, with the new chip in the first slot and the old chip moved one slot down. I got complete crap performance. I opened the case again, and put the old chip back where it was and left the new chip out, restarted just to make sure there wasn't a software problem. After that worked fine I put the new chip in the second slot below the old chip, and now everything is cool, and running faster. I have no idea why it made a difference (I'm guessing it's because the old chip is really a pc66), but it's something to try.

------------------
If someone's getting on your nerves, remember that it takes 42 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to raise your arm and bitch-slap the mother%&*$er upside the head
Xero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2000, 04:20 PM   #9
humanity

Nah, that didn't work. I am beginning to think it has something to do with the NS specification on the RAM. I am not sure what NS spec this is, but I know I read somewhere that my computer requires 10NS RAM.

The funny thing is that I checked system resources with one stick of 64 in, and then when I had 2 in, and they were higher with 1 stick in.

I am going to try to make a run to Best Buy tonight, though, and see if I can pick up some 10NS RAM. At least that way I will be able to take it back quickly if it doesn't work. I'm not sure what I can do with my current situation.

------------------
"22 years of pain
The will to rise above
Tearing my insides out"
Old November 14th, 2000, 04:54 PM   #10
RookieCAF

Arrow

Thats Bizzare dude, If you have a static bag check around if there are any small PC repair shops around and have them run some Diagnostics on the RAM.. Maybe its bad..

------------------
~Rookie
"Oderint Dum Metuant!"

Quote:
that's correct.

Old November 14th, 2000, 05:04 PM   #11
humanity

Well, I have done more researching, and indeed my computer does require either 66mhz or 100mhz 10ns RAM. What they don't tell you is where the hell you are going to find pc100 10ns RAM in the world!

I can find pc66 online at some places, but I would much rather have pc100. This sucks ass. I am almost positive it is this problem because I have tried a total of 4 different RAM carts now, and none have worked.

------------------
"22 years of pain
The will to rise above
Tearing my insides out"
Old November 14th, 2000, 05:10 PM   #12
RookieCAF

Arrow

Can you change the RAM Speed timing in the Bios?

------------------
~Rookie
"Oderint Dum Metuant!"

Quote:
that's correct.

Old November 14th, 2000, 05:21 PM   #13
humanity

My BIOS conveniently lists which slots are filled by what ammount of RAM, but I guess they weren't clever enough to allow user adjustment.

------------------
"22 years of pain
The will to rise above
Tearing my insides out"
Old November 14th, 2000, 07:08 PM   #14
RookieCAF

Arrow

Let me know if you sweet talk your parents man Nice upgrade for 3 bills...

------------------
~Rookie
"Oderint Dum Metuant!"

Quote:
that's correct.

Old November 14th, 2000, 09:38 PM   #15
humanity

We'll just leave it at a simple...chu-ching!

------------------
"22 years of pain
The will to rise above
Tearing my insides out"
Old November 14th, 2000, 09:47 PM   #16
RookieCAF

Thumbs up

"Houston... We have Lift Off "

------------------
~Rookie
"Oderint Dum Metuant!"

Quote:
that's correct.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: