ConsoleCity Forums   GameStop, Inc.

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gaming
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gaming One place to talk all games

Old June 13th, 2003, 02:08 PM   #51
MixMasterMike

MixMasterMike is a splendid one to beholdMixMasterMike is a splendid one to beholdMixMasterMike is a splendid one to beholdMixMasterMike is a splendid one to beholdMixMasterMike is a splendid one to beholdMixMasterMike is a splendid one to beholdMixMasterMike is a splendid one to beholdMixMasterMike is a splendid one to beholdMixMasterMike is a splendid one to beholdMixMasterMike is a splendid one to beholdMixMasterMike is a splendid one to behold

Live!: MixMasterMike

Games Owned: 4
Games Wanted: 3
Send a message via AIM to MixMasterMike
Quote:
Originally posted by Korr
I agree 100%. In fact I still haven't seen anything that compels me to pick up XBL. I mean it's just hack and slash, racing one on one, death match, capture the flag, or some other gimmicky crap.

Same shit over and over...
Well, what would you like to see in online gaming then?
Old June 13th, 2003, 02:18 PM   #52
Korr

Korr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of light

Live!: Korranator

Games Owned: 197
Games Wanted: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
Well, what would you like to see in online gaming then?
Something diferrent, something that couldn't be done in a single player game, beyond a second player, or multi-player concept.

Games like GR are a step in the right direction...

Last edited by Korr : June 13th, 2003 at 02:21 PM.
Korr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2003, 02:21 PM   #53
TheGlove

TheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud of

Live!: Tiio

Games Owned: 63
Send a message via AIM to TheGlove
Some people will never be satisfied.

Congrats to Seattle on a great season. We'll be back next year, and ready to take on the AFC champs AND the refs this time!!
TheGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2003, 02:23 PM   #54
Korr

Korr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of light

Some people are satified with just the potatoes...
Old June 13th, 2003, 02:27 PM   #55
MixMasterMike

MixMasterMike is a splendid one to beholdMixMasterMike is a splendid one to beholdMixMasterMike is a splendid one to beholdMixMasterMike is a splendid one to beholdMixMasterMike is a splendid one to beholdMixMasterMike is a splendid one to beholdMixMasterMike is a splendid one to beholdMixMasterMike is a splendid one to beholdMixMasterMike is a splendid one to beholdMixMasterMike is a splendid one to beholdMixMasterMike is a splendid one to behold

Live!: MixMasterMike

Games Owned: 4
Games Wanted: 3
Send a message via AIM to MixMasterMike
I can kinda see what you're saying... I mean I'd like to see some more stuff for online play on Live that's really gonna blow me away. I don't really know exactly what, but I'll know when it comes. Perhaps like a GTA online where every person in the game is a real life person playing, and you get to interact with them and start fights or whatever, go on killing sprees etc. Just a little world where you can do whatever you want heh. Just a world of total chaos! That would be quite the fun game. And then you'd have to escape from the police, but maybe they can make that more detailed as well, like trying to escape from the police to the airport and fleeing from the city to a different one... just a bunch of variables put into the game.
Old June 13th, 2003, 02:31 PM   #56
MiaBran

MiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 44
Send a message via AIM to MiaBran Send a message via MSN to MiaBran Send a message via Yahoo to MiaBran
Quote:
Let's see faster servers, better connections, voice communication, but your still dealing with the same assholes, right?

not usually.... I seem to find a bit more mature folks. You can't race backwards in moto gp2 and if you decided you want to anyway.... you can't hit anyone. Most people have learned by now.... you act like a fool and you get booted. Also.... the thing about online play that gets me is that there is ALWAYS someone to play. You can say "it's just multiplayer" or "I can do the same thing with my friends", but in some cases you just can't. I tried playing MC2 in splitscreen..... work of shit (and moto gp2 isn't that great), so racing 16 other people (in gp anyway) when they can see just as well as you can is great. You can't sleep, decided you want to play a game.... hop online and find someone to smash on (or get served up). I'm sorry, but when I play the computer my plays just don't switch up as much and I can't always call a friend to come over at like 3 am to play me in a game of football or rtcw. As far as that total chaos thing.... boring bullshit. Without conflict there is no fun.... you'd have to have some type of reason to play.

Persistence is having the same goal over and over.

Last edited by MiaBran : June 13th, 2003 at 02:35 PM.
MiaBran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2003, 02:33 PM   #57
Korr

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by MiaBran
not usually.... I seem to find a bit more mature folks. You can't race backwards in moto gp2 and if you decided you want to anyway.... you can't hit anyone. Most people have learned by now.... you act like a fool and you get booted.
That is a major step in the right diection.
Old June 13th, 2003, 02:34 PM   #58
TheGlove

TheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud of

Live!: Tiio

Games Owned: 63
Send a message via AIM to TheGlove
Quote:
Some people are satified with just the potatoes...
I like them mashed.

Congrats to Seattle on a great season. We'll be back next year, and ready to take on the AFC champs AND the refs this time!!
TheGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2003, 04:31 PM   #59
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: MarsupialJones

Games Owned: 149
Quote:

Yah let's flame the guy who has a differrent opinion than the current bandwagon. I expected nothing less from the Dricas crowd..
i got the same response when i first said online gaming will never catch on with the mainstream, over a year ago.
Old June 13th, 2003, 06:48 PM   #60
hermes

hermes will become famous soon enoughhermes will become famous soon enoughhermes will become famous soon enoughhermes will become famous soon enoughhermes will become famous soon enoughhermes will become famous soon enough

Live!: GUMABON

Games Owned: 9
Honestly, I get tired of XBL once in a while.

It's a standard though, for certain genres now. Everytime you buy a racing game, FPS, sports etc. Xbox is meant to take you online and compete. We spend our time opening features or modes that we can use to play online. Sometimes when we get there the fun gets knocked down by tuff competetors. It's still a lively experience granted your a good sport and are willing to get accustomed(sp?) to the gameplay and be competitive.

Halo2 and Fable are two games I dont expect much from XBL. And the anticipation for these two games is to the roof. I dont want to be in anyones world but my own.
Old June 13th, 2003, 08:09 PM   #61
MiaBran

MiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 44
Send a message via AIM to MiaBran Send a message via MSN to MiaBran Send a message via Yahoo to MiaBran
Quote:
Originally posted by hermes
Honestly, I get tired of XBL once in a while.

It's a standard though, for certain genres now. Everytime you buy a racing game, FPS, sports etc. Xbox is meant to take you online and compete. We spend our time opening features or modes that we can use to play online. Sometimes when we get there the fun gets knocked down by tuff competetors. It's still a lively experience granted your a good sport and are willing to get accustomed(sp?) to the gameplay and be competitive.

Halo2 and Fable are two games I dont expect much from XBL. And the anticipation for these two games is to the roof. I dont want to be in anyones world but my own.

I dunno about you, but if Halo 2 didn't have XBL I'd be REALLY pissed (I'd still buy it though ). As far as fable? that's on my list.... not much of an RPG person, but the way this game seems to be going I can't help BUT get pumped about it.

Persistence is having the same goal over and over.
MiaBran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #62
-Tetsuo-

-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 0
[email protected] this thread
Old December 4th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #63
Jesus H Christ

Jesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: JCDavey

Games Owned: 38
Send a message via AIM to Jesus H Christ Send a message via Yahoo to Jesus H Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tetsuo- View Post
[email protected] this thread
yeah, amazing how things change

the comment about online gaming never catching on reminds me of when i said eli manning will never win a ring lol
Old December 4th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #64
JakeTheSnake

JakeTheSnake is a jewel in the roughJakeTheSnake is a jewel in the roughJakeTheSnake is a jewel in the roughJakeTheSnake is a jewel in the roughJakeTheSnake is a jewel in the roughJakeTheSnake is a jewel in the roughJakeTheSnake is a jewel in the roughJakeTheSnake is a jewel in the roughJakeTheSnake is a jewel in the roughJakeTheSnake is a jewel in the roughJakeTheSnake is a jewel in the rough

Live!: JakeTheSnake

Games Owned: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by speKtor View Post
online gaming is a niche market, it will never catch on with the mainstream market. it will always be a hardcore gaming niche. i cant belive the emphasis some people put on it. like Bigloser said, there are nine million people out there who dont have XBL.
Another great call!
JakeTheSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #65
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus H Christ View Post
the comment about online gaming never catching on reminds me of when i said eli manning will never win a ring lol
How so? Its 6 years later and the majority of people still dont play online.

According to MS they have sold 30 million 360's and about 20 million people "actively" belong to Xbox live. MS doesnt define "active" or say how many of those 20 million actually play games or even have a gold account. But you have to figure its not all 20 million of them. Or probably even close to it. The record for most Live players online in one day is 2.2 million (set just recently by Modern Warfare 2).

And thats just the Xbox. There is even more Wii's out there (56 million) and their online community is only a fraction of Live's. PS3 has sold 27 million units and while its probably impposible to tell how many people use the PS3 for online gaming because its free with the console, it's probably a safe bet that its not more than Live.

So you have 113 million consoles sold worldwide. Even if you say all 20 million Live subscribers are gold subscribers and all play games online (which they arent and dont) and give the PS3 and Wii 15 million active players each (which is a ridiculously high estimate IMHO) thats still only 50 million of a possible 113 million.

Last edited by speKtor : December 5th, 2009 at 12:20 AM.
speKtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 01:41 AM   #66
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 191
Send a message via AIM to bigloser Send a message via MSN to bigloser
If it's not mainstream yet (WoW at one time had over 15 million subscribers and that's one game alone)... but if you're not going to consider it mainstream.

You sure can't consider it "niche".
Old December 5th, 2009, 04:13 AM   #67
Jesus H Christ

Jesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to Jesus H Christ Send a message via Yahoo to Jesus H Christ
Quote:
How so? Its 6 years later and the majority of people still dont play online.

According to MS they have sold 30 million 360's and about 20 million people "actively" belong to Xbox live. MS doesnt define "active" or say how many of those 20 million actually play games or even have a gold account. But you have to figure its not all 20 million of them. Or probably even close to it. The record for most Live players online in one day is 2.2 million (set just recently by Modern Warfare 2).

And thats just the Xbox. There is even more Wii's out there (56 million) and their online community is only a fraction of Live's. PS3 has sold 27 million units and while its probably impposible to tell how many people use the PS3 for online gaming because its free with the console, it's probably a safe bet that its not more than Live.

So you have 113 million consoles sold worldwide. Even if you say all 20 million Live subscribers are gold subscribers and all play games online (which they arent and dont) and give the PS3 and Wii 15 million active players each (which is a ridiculously high estimate IMHO) thats still only 50 million of a possible 113 million.
i'll tell you why it's mainstream

because actors go on late night talk shows and talk about their call of duty habits

because cnn covered the halo 3 launch

this is true, i saw it with my own eyes, heard it with my own ears

the shit is mainstream
Old December 5th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #68
-Tetsuo-

-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light

Doesn't look niche to me. Look at the Modern Warfare numbers alone.

And mainstream doesn't mean a certain percentage of the player base uses it. We talked about that already in another thread. Stop it.

Last edited by -Tetsuo- : December 5th, 2009 at 12:04 PM.
-Tetsuo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #69
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
No one's more resistant to gaming trends then me, but I wouldn't argue that online gaming hasn't become something of a mainstream thing. I get that most gamers don't play online (yet), but you could use the raw numbers to argue that gaming itself isn't mainstream either, since most people don't do it, but I don't think many people would argue that. At this point I think we're just arguing semantics, really.

Online gaming, while not enjoyed by most yet, is still wildly popular.
Old December 5th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #70
speKtor

Quote:
Online gaming, while not enjoyed by most yet, is still wildly popular.
It's wildly popular among a minority of gamers.

Thats like saying the NFL is a world sport because its widly popular in America. Even though the rest of the world doesnt pay any attention to it.

Quote:
A niche market is the subset of the market on which a specific product is focusing on; Therefore the market niche defines the specific product features aimed at satisfying specific market needs, as well as the price range, production quality and the demographics that is intended to impact.
Old December 5th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #71
Jesus H Christ

Quote:

Thats like saying the NFL is a world sport because its widly popular in America. Even though the rest of the world doesnt pay any attention to it.
so you're saying the nfl isn't mainstream?
Old December 5th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #72
-Tetsuo-

Quote:

A niche game is something like the Nippon Ichi RPG's on PS2. Despite having 150 million systems out there, the games never sold especially well but they have a rabid following. The games are made for that niche and the people in that group are going to buy it everytime.

Counter-Strike is an online only game thats has sold 10 million copies. World of Warcraft has sold over 10 million has has million's of people playing it every day. You can sign on to Modern Warfare 2 at this moment and there will probably be near or over 1 million people playing it just right now.

Look at the Steam stats I posted. The top 5 are online games. 8 out of the top 10. Look at the top played games on XBL.

Quote:
1 Modern Warfare 2
2 Halo 3
3 Call of Duty 4
4 Call of Duty: WaW
5 Assassin's Creed II
6 Left 4 Dead 2
7 1 vs 100
8 GTA IV
9 Madden NFL 10
10 FIFA 10
I'm gonna leave madden and fifa online and say that 6 of those are up there because of the multiplayer. It has nothing to do with what percentage of people are doing what because it that were the case NOTHING would be mainstram.

You're wrong. Just take it and move along.
Old December 5th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #73
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
Quote:
Isn't that the context we're really talking about though? I mean when the comment was made that "online gaming wouldn't catch on in the mainstream market", wasn't the market you were talking about the gaming market? I'm not being argumentative or accusatory, I just really thought that that was what you meant. And I think that's what others assumed as well.

Quote:
Not exactly. It's more like saying "the NFL is mainstream". And that's sort of an example what I mean when I talk about perspective. The NFL is mainstream...in the U.S.. The in the U.S. part is sort of a given, to the point it should go without saying (assuming it's a conversation between Americans, or in reference to American culture). When you talk about online gaming and it's popularity "in the market", most will assume you're talking about the gaming market, specifically. Or at least I did.

If you're just talking about the entire entertainment/mass media market, than I suppose online gaming is still a small niche. It's not like DVD's CD and MP3s, etc.. But that's really comparing apples to oranges.

Can we all at least all agree that online gaming is more popular now than it's ever been, that it's at least recognized by the majority of people in the industrialized world who know what video game are (regardless to whether they play them or not), an that it'll only get more popular as time goes by? And that maybe you underestimated the popularity that online gaming would reach?
Old December 5th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #74
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
Sppektor you're a tool, you'll argue this shit until you know you're wrong then you'll leave and not come back. So how about you just leave now.

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #75
Shaolin

Shaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 92
Send a message via ICQ to Shaolin Send a message via Yahoo to Shaolin

Considering that games like Farmville and Mafia Wars have millions of users, it'd be hard to argue that gaming hasn't gone "mainstream".

Shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: