ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gaming
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gaming One place to talk all games

Old June 12th, 2003, 08:37 AM   #26
278lives4ever
Banned

278lives4ever has a reputation beyond repute278lives4ever has a reputation beyond repute278lives4ever has a reputation beyond repute278lives4ever has a reputation beyond repute278lives4ever has a reputation beyond repute278lives4ever has a reputation beyond repute278lives4ever has a reputation beyond repute278lives4ever has a reputation beyond repute278lives4ever has a reputation beyond repute278lives4ever has a reputation beyond repute278lives4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: two78live4ever

Games Owned: 14
Games Wanted: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by Groo the Wanderer
I hate online gaming.

Playing online sucks, because you have to play with other people. And other people are assholes.
yeah especially when you to type to them right?
278lives4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2003, 08:43 AM   #27
MiaBran

MiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 44
Send a message via AIM to MiaBran Send a message via MSN to MiaBran Send a message via Yahoo to MiaBran
Quote:
Originally posted by Xeo
this is an interesting topic... but i don't like name of the thead... it should have been something along the lines of...

Has XBOX Live ruined the offline XBOX gaming experience?

or something along those lines... i kinda' drifted off-topic on my earlier post because of the title of the thread... i'm not trying to get on your carse or anything Mia... i'm sure you weren't really give it all that much thought...

as for Mace Griffin... i'm not sure why this game is being so overhyped... what sets this game apart from all the other 1st person shooters out there... the overhyping isn't justified at all... and for christ's sake it takes place in the Star Trek universe... YUK!

every other hyped FPS had it's selling point, or an engine that powers the hype machine... for example...

Halo: Vehicles
Red Faction: Destructable Walls
XIII: 1st Cel-Shaded FPS

now what's fueling Mace Griffin's hype machine...? perhaps i missed it... but the only thing i can think of is the excess amount of coverage that certain popular videogame sites have been giving it... but i always thought that was a product of gamer anticipation or excitment... i think that's changed as of late... it's as if gaming sites are being payed off to cover and overhype games for certain developers... thus fooling their readers into purchasing those games and then setting them up for a big let down when the game doesn't live up to all the hoopla...

Me give much thought on the topic? lol, no dice. Gimmick hype is expect like SOF with blowing off limbs. If you bring something new to the table, people will want to try it out and see if it should be the "new standard". Now... with Halo's vehicles.... those were justified (esp in multi-player). They were fun and easy to use. With those three games.... the first of something (in that genre anyway) alway, brings mad hype. Sometimes they pan out, sometimes they don't. Like with XBL, everyone was hyped about being able to voice mask.... worst idea EVER (well, maybe not ever, but you get the point). With Mace.... hype over it is unclear (at least to me), b/c I haven't heard anything new about it and what was supposed to set it apart from the rest of the 1000 FPS that are coming out for Xbox.

Persistence is having the same goal over and over.
MiaBran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #28
Mooreberg

Mooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really nice

PSN: Fahrenhype

Games Owned: 112
Send a message via AIM to Mooreberg
HAHA look at this site:

http://www.ilovelive.com

Looks like it's from the same firm that did the "instant death" commercial that got banned in Europe.

Quote:
I hate online gaming.

Playing online sucks, because you have to play with other people. And other people are assholes.
HAHAHA.
Old June 12th, 2003, 11:40 AM   #29
JakeTheSnake

JakeTheSnake is a jewel in the roughJakeTheSnake is a jewel in the roughJakeTheSnake is a jewel in the roughJakeTheSnake is a jewel in the roughJakeTheSnake is a jewel in the roughJakeTheSnake is a jewel in the roughJakeTheSnake is a jewel in the roughJakeTheSnake is a jewel in the roughJakeTheSnake is a jewel in the roughJakeTheSnake is a jewel in the roughJakeTheSnake is a jewel in the rough

Live!: JakeTheSnake

Games Owned: 6
why was voice masking a bad idea? I only have 2k3 for live and it's not used in that game.
JakeTheSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2003, 11:59 AM   #30
Bingo

Bingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond reputeBingo has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: CHEAP SU1T

Games Owned: 0
Send a message via AIM to Bingo
Play Mech Assault with the little kid mask. I want to fucking smack the people who use it.
Old June 12th, 2003, 12:24 PM   #31
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 191
Send a message via AIM to bigloser Send a message via MSN to bigloser
Xbox live hasn't ruined gaming. Only about 600,000 people who own an xbox, have live. That means theres over 9 million people who own xboxs, and don't have live.

Last edited by bigloser : June 12th, 2003 at 12:34 PM.
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2003, 12:33 PM   #32
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 191
Send a message via AIM to bigloser Send a message via MSN to bigloser
One of the reasons mace is receiving alot of hype is, it's being made by the codevelopers of StarLancer. Thats so important because mace is going to have space combat levels, meaning your going to take flight in spaceships, and fight(I.E Starlancer style) Mace griffin is also suppose to be load free.

The other reason(Really the main reason) the game is being hyped is because of this new engine Warthog(developers of mace) has built. Heres some information on the engine.

Quote:
"Given its ground breaking capabilities and architecture the Xbox game system is the ideal platform to enable this type of advanced game technology. With sprawling space landscapes and vast indoor environments, we are creating immense new worlds for this game," said Paul Chapman, Producer at Warthog.

To make this possible, Warthog developed the Tusk engine. The new engine allows two key gameplay innovations. Tusk employs scene-graph principles that allow movement within and between different types of environments -- currently impossible in other games. Additionally the advanced portal technology will allow gamers, for the first time ever, to be able to seamlessly transition between first person combat and space flight action.

Features

"Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter" offers a wealth of innovative features, including the following:

Seamless transitions between first person combat and space flight action

Bespoke animation system allows motion blending and animation of detached parts of objects ("Motion Blending")

Consistent flight control and weapons management systems in both space and on the ground

Modular player vehicle system with a vast array of equipment and upgrades

The ability to pilot a wide range of ships

Lifelike NPC reaction depending on their intelligence, bravery, health, etc. and in combat will adjust their strategy based on their numbers, types of weapons, available cover, and numerous other conditions

Diverse missions, some story driven, some incidental create a dynamic, realistic universe for an immersive experience

Large number of player weapons from low to high tech, many unique to this game

A huge variety of walk-around environments with different physics, obstacles, inhabitants and creatures

High level of visual effects, lighting and sound, utilizing high-spec, optimized Xbox/PC capabilities

Multiple weighted skinned animation system

Per polygon collision systems

Skinned deformable skeletal characters, Skeletal snapping

Pixel shading for stunning graphical effects such as phong lighting, dynamic reflections and refractive transparency (Xbox Only)

Vertex shaders will be used for skinning and dynamic level-of-detail (Xbox Only)
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2003, 01:24 PM   #33
Y2L

Y2L is on a distinguished roadY2L is on a distinguished roadY2L is on a distinguished roadY2L is on a distinguished road

Games Owned: 37
I still prefer playing one player in many games (FPS, Action/Adventure, whatever) but now if I buy a sports game it'll have to have live capabilities. Because as fun as a single-player franchise is, it doesn't beat playing with a real person and enjoying whooping their ass (or getting your ass handed to you )
Old June 12th, 2003, 02:12 PM   #34
Xeo

Xeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these parts

Live!: Xeo

Send a message via AIM to Xeo
very good post bigloser... now some of that hype has been justified... i did hear about the whole space combat thing and remember watching some of it in a movie... i just forgot about it...

Get Games On GamersGate.com
Xeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2003, 02:13 PM   #35
Xeo

Xeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally posted by Mooreberg
HAHA look at this site:

http://www.ilovelive.com

Looks like it's from the same firm that did the "instant death" commercial that got banned in Europe.

HAHAHA.

and this site was pure comedic gold... LOL... awesome...

Old June 12th, 2003, 04:05 PM   #36
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 267
Send a message via AIM to mountpanic Send a message via Yahoo to mountpanic
Quote:
I hate online gaming.

Amen.

There is no one you couldn't love once you've heard their story.
Mary Lou Kownacki (via Fred Rogers)

Enjoy the CC Free Games Archive
mountpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2003, 04:22 PM   #37
MiaBran

MiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond reputeMiaBran has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to MiaBran Send a message via MSN to MiaBran Send a message via Yahoo to MiaBran
Quote:
Originally posted by bigloserI6
Xbox live hasn't ruined gaming. Only about 600,000 people who own an xbox, have live. That means theres over 9 million people who own xboxs, and don't have live.

Yes yes yes.... the title of the topic is a bit "off". I should have typed "Has xbl ruined xbox gaming for you?" Either way, I've got the info I've needed so far.... XBL games get more attention than ones without.

Old June 12th, 2003, 05:26 PM   #38
pistolguy

pistolguy is a glorious beacon of lightpistolguy is a glorious beacon of lightpistolguy is a glorious beacon of lightpistolguy is a glorious beacon of lightpistolguy is a glorious beacon of lightpistolguy is a glorious beacon of lightpistolguy is a glorious beacon of lightpistolguy is a glorious beacon of lightpistolguy is a glorious beacon of lightpistolguy is a glorious beacon of lightpistolguy is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 32
Send a message via AIM to pistolguy
Quote:
Originally posted by Xeo
as for Mace Griffin... for christ's sake it takes place in the Star Trek universe... YUK!

Actually the game is not in the star trek universe, or it wouldn't be getting all this hype as the majority of trek fans are pc gamers. I really wanted the game when it was x-box exclusive, as the screens showed way back then looked awesome. Now it is a watered down engine to support the ps2's old school graphic capabilities, so I'll probably pass.

As for live, it is a major point for me. But even more so is having any sort of multi-player. I play a lot with friends, from just 2 of us co-oping to system link with 8-16 of us, so any multi is good for me.

pistolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2003, 06:02 PM   #39
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: MarsupialJones

Games Owned: 149
online gaming is a niche market, it will never catch on with the mainstream market. it will always be a hardcore gaming niche. i cant belive the emphasis some people put on it. like Bigloser said, there are nine million people out there who dont have XBL.
Old June 12th, 2003, 06:06 PM   #40
TheGlove

TheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud of

Live!: Tiio

Games Owned: 63
Send a message via AIM to TheGlove
They're missing out.

Congrats to Seattle on a great season. We'll be back next year, and ready to take on the AFC champs AND the refs this time!!
TheGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2003, 06:26 PM   #41
MiaBran

Quote:
Originally posted by speKtor
online gaming is a niche market, it will never catch on with the mainstream market. it will always be a hardcore gaming niche. i cant belive the emphasis some people put on it. like Bigloser said, there are nine million people out there who dont have XBL.

not to mention not all people who have xbox have broadband. That's like calling Halo a niche b/c it didn't sell 6 million copies. XBL is hardware/service.... those never really sell as big as software does (unless it's a controller or something). It was aimed more towards this board's purchases... that's why I included most rescent buys not including bargin buys.

Old June 12th, 2003, 07:35 PM   #42
Korr

Korr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of light

Live!: Korranator

Games Owned: 197
I had my share online gaming with the DC, and see it as nothing more than a enhanced gimmick. Take a shallow repeative game throw in online gaming and it becomes a hit with the hardcores. Take PSO for example it's 4 basic levels that you can blow out in an hour a piece. The gameplay is hack and slash at it's heart and it's down right boring to play alone, but play it online and it's an addiction.

My problem has always been with people. Sure if you have a few online friends and only play agaisnt them it can be fun, but what happens when you can't find anyone you know? Your stuck with the hackers, losers who scream all the time, asshole who wait till you die to steal your crap, dumbshits who race backwards, server crashes, etc, etc.

Quote:
online gaming is a niche market, it will never catch on with the mainstream market. it will always be a hardcore gaming niche. i cant belive the emphasis some people put on it.
I agree 100%. In fact I still haven't seen anything that compels me to pick up XBL. I mean it's just hack and slash, racing one on one, death match, capture the flag, or some other gimmicky crap.

Same shit over and over...
Korr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2003, 07:41 PM   #43
Pornoslut

Pornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to allPornoslut is a name known to all

Games Owned: 2
Online console gaming is the best thing since Phantasy Star...
Old June 13th, 2003, 08:40 AM   #44
BlackTJ

BlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to beholdBlackTJ is a splendid one to behold

Live!: Bad TJ

Games Owned: 96
Send a message via MSN to BlackTJ Send a message via Yahoo to BlackTJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Korr
I had my share online gaming with the DC, and see it as nothing more than a enhanced gimmick. Take a shallow repeative game throw in online gaming and it becomes a hit with the hardcores. Take PSO for example it's 4 basic levels that you can blow out in an hour a piece. The gameplay is hack and slash at it's heart and it's down right boring to play alone, but play it online and it's an addiction.
Try Ghost Recon on-line, not PSO. Almost all the levels play differently and gameplay changes depending on how many people you have per team.
Old June 13th, 2003, 10:50 AM   #45
MiaBran

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackTJ
Try Ghost Recon on-line, not PSO. Almost all the levels play differently and gameplay changes depending on how many people you have per team.

Yeah, I was starting to get annoyed with the whole "I played online with dc and wasn't impressed". Shit.... IIIII played online with dc and wasnt' impressed. I had joy here and there, but it wasn't awe inspiring (I guess dial-up can do that to yah). Only time I played online was nfl2k1 a few times (mainly against a friend on the other side of town) NBA2k1 once against my uncle and chu chu rocket. DC just had tooooo many quitters b/c of the fact no one cared about records. XBL gives me a different feel..... esp with voice communication (I just wish they'd go over 16 people and have more dedicated servers).

Old June 13th, 2003, 11:18 AM   #46
Xeo

Quote:
Originally posted by Korr

My problem has always been with people. Sure if you have a few online friends and only play agaisnt them it can be fun, but what happens when you can't find anyone you know? Your stuck with the hackers, losers who scream all the time, asshole who wait till you die to steal your crap, dumbshits who race backwards, server crashes, etc, etc.

I agree 100%. In fact I still haven't seen anything that compels me to pick up XBL. I mean it's just hack and slash, racing one on one, death match, capture the flag, or some other gimmicky crap.

Same shit over and over...
wwwoooo... you know he dumb...

Old June 13th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #47
TheGlove

TheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud ofTheGlove has much to be proud of

Live!: Tiio

Games Owned: 63
Send a message via AIM to TheGlove
Can't make comments like that unless you have experienced it.

Congrats to Seattle on a great season. We'll be back next year, and ready to take on the AFC champs AND the refs this time!!
TheGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2003, 01:46 PM   #48
Erbs

Erbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Erbs

Games Owned: 3
Send a message via AIM to Erbs Send a message via MSN to Erbs
Quote:
Originally posted by Xeo
I'd say he's deprived, but he's only depriving himself. Then again would you really want to play with a guy like Korr....

"I just didn't realize that freaks like Xeo had been busy building shrines in their bedrooms to the God of PGR2 before I started criticising the game." - DG

http://s13.invisionfree.com/Ghosts_o...ex.php?act=idx
Erbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2003, 01:56 PM   #49
Korr

Korr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Can't make comments like that unless you have experienced it.
I have with both DC and PC....
Quote:
Quote:
I'd say he's deprived, but he's only depriving himself. Then again would you really want to play with a guy like Korr....
Yah let's flame the guy who has a differrent opinion than the current bandwagon. I expected nothing less from the Dricas crowd..
Old June 13th, 2003, 01:58 PM   #50
Korr

Quote:
Originally posted by MiaBran
Yeah, I was starting to get annoyed with the whole "I played online with dc and wasn't impressed". Shit.... IIIII played online with dc and wasnt' impressed. I had joy here and there, but it wasn't awe inspiring (I guess dial-up can do that to yah). Only time I played online was nfl2k1 a few times (mainly against a friend on the other side of town) NBA2k1 once against my uncle and chu chu rocket. DC just had tooooo many quitters b/c of the fact no one cared about records. XBL gives me a different feel..... esp with voice communication (I just wish they'd go over 16 people and have more dedicated servers).
Let's see faster servers, better connections, voice communication, but your still dealing with the same assholes, right?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: