ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Microsoft
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Microsoft Most powerful console available. The Xbox is doing well on its homecourt, but on the road sales aren't dominating.

Old October 20th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #1
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 191
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via AIM to bigloser Send a message via MSN to bigloser
Super Meat Boy (800 points untill November 21st)

The game is just crazy fun 2D puzzle/platforming that makes reference to just about every classic game you can think of (Street Fighter, Mario, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, Mega Man, many more...). There's also a ton of content for 10 bucks, 350 levels, and unlockable characters like Tim from braid, Commander Video from the Bit.Trip games, Ninja from N+ and Alien Hominid (20 characters in all).

If you like video games, give this game a try!

Add Super Meat Boy to your Xbox 360 download queue.

Reviews:
  • Giant Bomb - Super Meat Boy hates you, but don't let that stop you from loving every minute of this hilarious, over-the-top platformer from Hell.
    5 out of 5
  • TeamXbox - Super Meat Boy is a love letter to everything that's great about video games. The experience runs the fine line of punishing and rewarding and has the ability to make you feel like you've achieved the impossible. It's an absolute must-buy from Xbox Live Arcade and should be found on every hard drive of every Xbox in existence. While this all sounds like high praise, Super Meat Boy earns every word of it.
    9.8 out of 10
  • IGN - Super Meat Boy is one of the best modern platformers. It's infuriating, exasperating, and arduous, but it's also delightful, thrilling, and hilarious. The NES games of yore were simultaneously simpler and more challenging than today's games, a quality perfectly emulated here. Invite some friends over and pass the controller around -- you're gonna need all the help you can get.
    9 out of 10
  • EuroGamer - Super Meat Boy starts out as just another indie game that revels in driving you crazy, but you end up crazy in love.
    9 out of 10

bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #2
cagmere

cagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 47

Cag1082
Send a message via AIM to cagmere
Everyone go and download this game now, an absolute must own.
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #3
Vid Gamer

Vid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of light
Games Owned: 375

BizzyBum
Will do. Looks cool.
Vid Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #4
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute
The game reminds me a lot of Trials HD for some reason.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 04:59 AM   #5
Syndicate

Syndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud of
Games Owned: 399
Games Wanted: 4

Syn Zero
…I think I'll go ahead grab this today.

"There's one party in Washington. It's the party of money."
David Cay. Johnston

"...forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead."
Phil 3:13

Current Game Rotation - Forza Horizon 3, Forza Motorsport 6, Firewatch, Halo:MCC XB1 | Phantasy Star 360 | PS3 | The Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda, Guacamelee: STCE Wii U
Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 09:49 AM   #6
Vid Gamer

Vid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of light

BizzyBum
Yeah, this game is ace. Though after extensively playing IWBTG this doesn't seem too hard. Granted, I've only completed World 1.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 02:06 PM   #7
bigloser

Yeah, if I was going to make a top 5 XBLA list, this would be up there.

So fun.
Old November 15th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #8
bigloser

Old December 8th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #9
Vid Gamer

BizzyBum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Gamer View Post
Yeah, this game is ace. Though after extensively playing IWBTG this doesn't seem too hard. Granted, I've only completed World 1.
Yeahhhh... scratch that. I still think IWBTG is harder (in a more unfair way, though), but this game in some of the later stages... just DAMN. I go into guaranteed "Tourette's Mode" when playing. But it's such an amazing game. I did end up beating it as well as all the Cotton Alley and 'Teh Internets' levels. I managed to get every achievement except completing all the Dark World levels and getting 100%. I'm currently trying to get A+ on all the regular levels and then A+ on the Dark World. I don't think I will ever get the 100% save file achievement, but I'll try.

Speaking of IWBTG, I thought it was awesome they had The Kid as an unlockable character. Though as a homage to his game, his 3 levels to unlock him were cake in comparison. Not enough falling apples and trees.
Old December 8th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #10
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
Thumbs down

The game looks fair, I guess, but that IGN review was one of the most annoying things I've ever watched. I barely made it all the way through. Those shitty transition effects were extremely grating and unnecessary. I may have thought that they were cool if I was 10, or 11. Actually, no. I wouldn't have.
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #11
Vid Gamer

BizzyBum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon Storm View Post
The game looks fair, I guess, but that IGN review was one of the most annoying things I've ever watched. I barely made it all the way through. Those shitty transition effects were extremely grating and unnecessary. I may have thought that they were cool if I was 10, or 11. Actually, no. I wouldn't have.
I have no idea what you're talking about...
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #12
GuitarGuru

GuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 369
Send a message via AIM to GuitarGuru
Probably the most rage inducing game ever. Glad I saved my points and didnt buy it.
Old December 9th, 2010, 04:09 AM   #13
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I have no idea what you're talking about...
Did you watch the youtube review in bigloser's post?
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #14
Vid Gamer

BizzyBum
Quote:
Did you watch the youtube review in bigloser's post?
I did but I'm still not sure what you mean. The game's graphics are simple, clean, and crisp, and there are stages that mimic the old NES/Game Boy looks as well as levels that are designed based on other characters games to unlock them like Commander Video (which was shown in the IGN video near the end).
Old December 11th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #15
DG

DG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGuru View Post
Probably the most rage inducing game ever. Glad I saved my points and didnt buy it.
I'm glad I saved my points also, but I did enjoy the demo...at first.

It didn't piss me off, I just thought it was ridiculusly punishing for the meger payoff of getting to the next absurdly difficult level.

It's a great concept that wore off faster than I could hold off the frustration.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #16
DG

DG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
...this doesn't seem too hard.
Coming from you that's meaningless. You're the guy who thought all the bonus stuff in Mario Galaxy 2 wasn't that hard if I remember right.

You may as well ask Billy Mitchell if Donkey Kong is difficult.
Old December 11th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #17
bigloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I'm glad I saved my points also, but I did enjoy the demo...at first.

It didn't piss me off, I just thought it was ridiculusly punishing for the meger payoff of getting to the next absurdly difficult level.

It's a great concept that wore off faster than I could hold off the frustration.
how did you play games in the 80s/early 90s?
Old December 11th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #18
Aeon Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloser View Post
how did you play games in the 80s/early 90s?
He left them unfinished, mostly. He never made it to the end of the original Super Mario Bros., or any other 8-bit game, I believe. That should give you an idea right there of his skill level. He even thought Donkey Kong Country was hard.

DG's not the most proficient gamer; he makes no bones about that fact.
Old December 11th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #19
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Anybody that impugns the difficulty of DKC2 (you didn't, but I'm just saying) has clearly not played it.
Old December 12th, 2010, 02:24 AM   #20
Vid Gamer

BizzyBum
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Coming from you that's meaningless. You're the guy who thought all the bonus stuff in Mario Galaxy 2 wasn't that hard if I remember right.
Nah, this game is hard as fuck. I posted that after I beat just the first World (which is easy ). If you think the main game is hard just try some of the Dark World stages...

Currently at about 75% completion.
Old December 12th, 2010, 04:47 AM   #21
Vid Gamer

BizzyBum
Well, got the "Dark World Ending" achievement so all I have left is get 100%. Currently at 83%. So much rage, but so much satisfaction. I can't wait to try out Team Meat's "I Wanna Be The Kid" DLC which will be 20 levels based off of IWBTG and is supposedly going to be harder then anything currently in the game by a longshot.
Old December 12th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #22
Aeon Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
Anybody that impugns the difficulty of DKC2 (you didn't, but I'm just saying) has clearly not played it.
I've never played the second one. But the first one was cake, IMO. I pretty much breezed through it back in the day. IIRC, the mine carts were the only parts that gave me a little challenge.
Old December 12th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #23
DG

Quote:
I've never played the second one. But the first one was cake, IMO. I pretty much breezed through it back in the day. IIRC, the mine carts were the only parts that gave me a little challenge.
You're right, it was cake in YOUR opionion.

Again, see "Billy Mitchel". Aeon, you're NOT an "average gamer" by any stretch of the imagination. The DKC SNES games have earned a reputation of being very difficult.

And look around you people, we're on a GAMING FORUM, a place that attracts, obsessive, highly skilled gamers. I'm obsessive, just not highly skilled.

And DKC2 is tough. I'm nearly at the end of the world with the beehives, (I suspect the level after the one I'm on is the boss battle). I freaking hate trying to jump past the bees while clinging to the sticky honey walls. Hesitate for a second and you get stuck to the damn wall and your timing goes to hell.
Old December 12th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #24
Vid Gamer

BizzyBum
Just got the last achievement "I'm A Golden God" for 100% completion. Hardest earned 200 Gamerscore I will ever have. lol

Feels good, though. I wonder how many other people have 200/200 for this.
Old December 12th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #25
Vid Gamer

BizzyBum
And I thought the XBLA achievements were hard. Here are the PC achievements on Steam:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=278656

Beat Dark World Cotton Alley without dying? Surreeeee...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: