ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gaming
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gaming One place to talk all games

Old April 27th, 2017, 06:28 PM   #26
Vid Gamer

Vid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of light

Live!: BizzyBum
PSN: BizzyBum
Steam: BizzyBum

Games Owned: 375
Games Wanted: 0
Just finished Kamiko.

Favorite characters in order were probably Hinome > Yamato > Uzume. A nice 2 hour break from your current game rotation. The BGM's are excellent and having 12 in this small title is really nice plus built-in timers for speedrunning is a cool feature.

Definitely recommended since it's only $5. Make sure to play it on the tablet, looks way better than on a TV.
Vid Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2017, 08:59 PM   #27
Syndicate

Syndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud of

Live!: Syn Zero
PSN: SynZero-00

Games Owned: 399
Games Wanted: 4
...I started Dishonored Definitive Edition, in addition to still having Horizon 3 and Motorsport 6 taking up a lot of time. I need to get back to Halo and also finally start on some Switch stuff.

"There's one party in Washington. It's the party of money."
David Cay. Johnston

"...forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead."
Phil 3:13

Current Game Rotation - Forza Horizon 3, Forza Motorsport 6, Firewatch, Halo:MCC XB1 | Phantasy Star 360 | PS3 | The Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda, Guacamelee: STCE Wii U
Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2017, 06:50 PM   #28
SmAsHeD IxNaY

SmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 78
Send a message via AIM to SmAsHeD IxNaY Send a message via MSN to SmAsHeD IxNaY Send a message via Yahoo to SmAsHeD IxNaY
So I bought my first console in over 10 years. I bought a Nintendo Switch. So far I have Zelda an Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Both are fun and I enjoying have a console again.

I only bought it because I have nothing to do at my job, so it being portable, I keep it at work and play it throughout the week.

Not many games out right now, but I'm still enjoying it.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:16 PM   #29
Vid Gamer

Vid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of light

TumbleSeed is hard as fuck.
Old May 15th, 2017, 01:31 AM   #30
Vid Gamer

I've been playing I Am Setsuna on the Switch. I put about 50 hours into the game and did pretty much everything and I'd give it a 7/10.

A big complaint I've seen people have are the lack of tutorials on a lot of the game mechanics but the ambiguous nature of the mechanics are done intentionally, IMO. Everything about this game is a callback to old school JRPG's, and back in the day people had to figure out game mechanics and the intricacies by themselves. There were no hand holding tutorials or YouTube videos explaining everything. It was all trial and error in the game itself so while in today's age that seems unacceptable I do appreciate what their intention was.

The story and character's were nothing groundbreaking but I was surprised at some instances in the game and some dialogue got dark out of nowhere. There was a twist at the end that I wasn't expecting, either. The overworld was bleak and depressing which fits the tone but it definitely is way too repetitive and lots of assets were reused which become more jarring the longer you play.

The combat was fun but the game is too easy for the most part because it's heavily unbalanced. Once you unlock certain combos or spritnites (magic abilities) you can basically rely on those for the rest of the game so while there's hundreds upon hundreds of combinations that can be used with spritnite and fluxes (stat modifiers for the magic abilities) there's really no reason to experiment because the game doesn't require you to. Also you are breezing through the game and then there are certain boss fights that are much harder out of nowhere which might force you to grind levels which can be annoying and throw off the pace. Not having multiple endings hurts the replayability factor and is odd considering the game feels like it could have many endings if the devs decided to which I can only assume was their judgement based on time issues.

I definitely recommend if you are a fan of old school JRPG's, just don't expect anything amazing.
Old May 15th, 2017, 06:40 PM   #31
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 191
Send a message via AIM to bigloser Send a message via MSN to bigloser
Like usual lots of different stuff...

A lot of Switch games...

Blaster Master Zero: I'm close to finishing this... I have very much enjoyed my time with this game... it's developer Inti Creates is suppose to announce two new games soon. Pretty excited to see what those are. They're also working on Bloodstained, the spiritual successor to Castlevania.

Mr. Shfity: This game is ok... Hotline Miami is one of my favorite games of the past half decade... so this title had a lot to live up to being heavily inspired by Hotline Miami. Sadly it doesn't come anywhere close to the style or gameplay... Mr. Shifty is a competent game, there's nothing glaringly wrong with it. Just doesn't have much personality, and overly simplified level design that makes the main gameplay gimmick of shifting completely overpowered leaving the A.I. clueless, turning a somewhat interesting idea into a fairly boring game. If you're interested, only buy for $5 or less.

PuyoPuyo Tetris: I have this on PS4 and Switch. One of the best puzzle games I've ever played. Can't recommend it enough.

Graceful Explosion Machine: I feel like the look of GEM has turned a lot of people off... it has a look that for me I've grown tired of so many indie games having.. colorful with simplistic shapes. Don't let that turn you away. I would say this is up there with Shovel Knight as one of the best indie titles on the Switch. Plays like a Modern Defender with a few twists, the levels only take a few minutes, and the "I can always do better" score chase makes it highly addictive and really a perfect handheld game.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: Probably the best Mario Kart game in the series, can't recommend it enough.

Prey: I'm calling it now. Prey will be the most overlooked game of 2017 all because of Bethesda and the way they've completely mishandled one of the best games of 2017. Everything from it's marketing makes Prey look like a generic space shooter, when it's one of the most interesting games of 2017. Prey is a mashup of classic PC games of the 90s like SystemShock and Deux Ex, with a bit of BioShock thrown in there. It's one of those games that's sort of a sandbox that can be played however you like. But hopefully word of mouth will allow Prey to sell well and we get a sequel, because it's completely bombed so far.

Nier Automata: Finally finished my 3rd playthrough of Nier. It has issues, but Nier Automata should be played, tells a pretty unique story that gets better with each play through. One of Platinums' most memorable (but not best) games.

Voodoo Vince Remastered: It's a shame by the time Voodoo Vince came out people were done with platformers not named Mario. Because 13 years later Voodoo Vince is still fun to play. Also has enough charm, and interesting ideas to keep it from feeling like just another platformer. It's just too bad it never got in sequels.

And DOTA2 still... a campaign mode that's playable in coop is being added to DOTA!

Last edited by bigloser : May 15th, 2017 at 06:43 PM.
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 09:59 PM   #32
Vid Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloser View Post
Blaster Master Zero: I'm close to finishing this... I have very much enjoyed my time with this game...
It was a nice retro title but it was a bit on the easy side. I didn't even realize I could view each area map until about world 6. They've since added a hard mode and some DLC characters but unless they add in actual new areas I won't be going back to it. It's one of those one and done games for me.

Quote:
Mr. Shfity: This game is ok... Hotline Miami is one of my favorite games of the past half decade... so this title had a lot to live up to being heavily inspired by Hotline Miami. Sadly it doesn't come anywhere close to the style or gameplay... Mr. Shifty is a competent game, there's nothing glaringly wrong with it. Just doesn't have much personality, and overly simplified level design that makes the main gameplay gimmick of shifting completely overpowered leaving the A.I. clueless, turning a somewhat interesting idea into a fairly boring game. If you're interested, only buy for $5 or less.
Yeah, I just beat it today and it's an OK game. It does get a lot harder near the end, borderline frustrating even. The Switch version also has terrible slowdown in the later levels which was promised to be patched and hasn't happened yet. A really terrible final boss, too. There's also nothing there to make you want to play again, when you beat it that's it, unless you want to do a 0 death run but it's pointless since it doesn't unlock anything and there's no leaderboards.

Quote:
PuyoPuyo Tetris: I have this on PS4 and Switch. One of the best puzzle games I've ever played. Can't recommend it enough.
I beat the adventure mode which at some parts was hard as hell. I'm terrible at puyo puyo. Ended at 80% completion since I didn't 3 star every level and played some online but I'm just not good enough to compete with any of the good players out there. I did unlock most of the in-game trophies though, the only ones left were 100% story mode and clear 100,000 puyos and tetriminos which would take forever playing casually.

--

Some other Switch eShop games I've picked up:

Snake Pass: I completed the first 4 levels so far and it's a mixed bag. It looks good (using Unreal engine) but the gameplay can be frustrating due to wonky controls and a terrible camera at times. Each stage has you collecting three gems to unlock the exit portal but you can also collect blue orbs and coins which are scattered all over the level to get 100% completion. It's $20 so unless you enjoy overly hard games I'd stay away.

Dark Witch Music Episode: Rudymical: I picked this up because I enjoy rhythm games even though I'm not the greatest but this is kinda a dud for me. I watched a small amount of game footage and thought it was a cool mix of a fighter and rhythm game but the obvious main thing about a game like this besides solid gameplay is the music, and the "music tracks" in this are really, really bad. It's also pretty barebones in terms of content and options, and their hardest mode Lunatic is literally impossible unless you plan on memorizing the pattern and training your muscle memory for months. Avoid it.

I have Disgaea 5 Complete and Ultra Street Fighter II coming next week.
Old May 19th, 2017, 12:23 PM   #33
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute

I agree about Blaster Master, I won't be going back, and it's too easy... but I have enjoyed it. Worth it's 10 dollar price...

I can't praise Prey enough... Hopefully some people here try it, and word of mouth spreads because the game is so good. The amount of combat options you have, and the myriad of different ways you can tackle the levels make Prey feel pretty unique, and the cherry on top is the story is actually good. Great game, more people need to buy it.

Injustice 2: It's a better Injustice with netcode that's actually playable. It's probably the most viable fighting game out there if you only want to play it single player, with it's campaign, and all the loot you get to customize your characters. But it's another Netherrealm game, projectiles rule the day, combo timing is very forgiving, potentially endless combos. So if you don't like NR fighters, this one isn't going to change your opinion.

I'm going to buy Thumper for the Switch. People have been saying since last year it's one of the best rhythm games ever made, and i'm a sucker for the genre... it's also an outstanding port... 1080p 60FPS, 720p 60 undocked.

Hollow Knight got announced for the Switch this week... that will be another great indie game to buy, especially if you like Metroidvania games.

Last edited by bigloser : May 19th, 2017 at 12:28 PM.
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 12:26 PM   #34
bigloser

Bizzy, I think in the other thread you said you still buy physical versions of games when you can... so do you use Amazon Prime to get 20% off new releases, or Best Buy's Gamers Unlocked club to get 20% games?

It's funny because the 20% is suppose to save you money, but it's done the complete opposite for me... I find myself buying way more stuff at launch because of the discount, like Street Fighter 2... pretty sure if that 20% discount wasn't there I'd wait for a price drop, but I'm going to snag it at launch... since I own Disgaea 5 for the PS4, I think i'm just gonna wait for the Switch version to drop though... been buyin too many games lately.
Old May 19th, 2017, 12:46 PM   #35
Vid Gamer

Quote:
I can't praise Prey enough... Hopefully some people here try it, and word of mouth spreads because the game is so good. The amount of combat options you have, and the myriad of different ways you can tackle the levels make Prey feel pretty unique, and the cherry on top is the story is actually good. Great game, more people need to buy it.
It's on my "to get" list but I just can't keep up with games anymore. I seem to finish 2-3 games only to see another 5 games have released that I want. It's literally impossible to play everything nowadays.

Quote:
Injustice 2: It's a better Injustice with netcode that's actually playable. It's probably the most viable fighting game out there if you only want to play it single player, with it's campaign, and all the loot you get to customize your characters. But it's another Netherrealm game, projectiles rule the day, combo timing is very forgiving, potentially endless combos. So if you don't like NR fighters, this one isn't going to change your opinion.
It looks great but I'm just not a fan of NRS' gameplay. All their fighters just have this awful jank to them and they are never smooth like a Street Fighter.

Quote:
I'm going to buy Thumper for the Switch. People have been saying since last year it's one of the best rhythm games ever made, and i'm a sucker for the genre... it's also an outstanding port... 1080p 60FPS, 720p 60 undocked.
I was thinking of picking this up for the Switch but I also have an Oculus Rift which I didn't know supported this game so I feel when I do give this a go it should be for VR over Switch.

Quote:
Hollow Knight got announced for the Switch this week... that will be another great indie game to buy, especially if you like Metroidvania games.
Owlboy, too. Switch is getting a TON of indie support which is awesome for Nintendo. I find these types of games perfect for the Switch. They always look gorgeous on the tablet.

Quote:
Bizzy, I think in the other thread you said you still buy physical versions of games when you can... so do you use Amazon Prime to get 20% off new releases, or Best Buy's Gamers Unlocked club to get 20% games?

It's funny because the 20% is suppose to save you money, but it's done the complete opposite for me... I find myself buying way more stuff at launch because of the discount, like Street Fighter 2... pretty sure if that 20% discount wasn't there I'd wait for a price drop, but I'm going to snag it at launch... since I own Disgaea 5 for the PS4, I think i'm just gonna wait for the Switch version to drop though... been buyin too many games lately.
I use Amazon Prime and yes, it's super dangerous. I've easily bought way more games since I've gotten Prime. Just got the physical version of Has Been Heroes on the Switch. Here's what I have pre-ordered still for the Switch:

Ultra SF2
Disgaea 5
Minecraft Story Mode (and waiting for physical release of regular Minecraft)
Splatoon 2
ARMS
Cave Story+

I need to stop. I'm turning into freakin' Game Rogue.. lol
Old May 19th, 2017, 11:55 PM   #36
bigloser

Here's the two new Switch games from the Blaster Master Zero guys.

They are porting what many consider to be the best Mega Man inspired games, the Azure Striker Gunvolt series from the 3DS, and another sequel...

GameSpot review of one of the 3ds versions...

Switch Trailers...

Old May 20th, 2017, 12:23 PM   #37
CAPninja

CAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really nice

Live!: King Barf

Games Owned: 0
Enter the Gungeon. I can't get enough of it.
CAPninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2017, 01:21 PM   #38
Vid Gamer

Fast RMX had developer time trials added so I went back and trying to beat each mode at 100%. So far I did Championship and the TT's and now I just have to do Hero Mode.

This is definitely a great budget racer. It's probably overlooked now with MK8 out and it being a launch title but if you get a Switch don't pass up on it.
Old May 25th, 2017, 09:11 PM   #39
bigloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Gamer View Post
Fast RMX had developer time trials added so I went back and trying to beat each mode at 100%. So far I did Championship and the TT's and now I just have to do Hero Mode.

This is definitely a great budget racer. It's probably overlooked now with MK8 out and it being a launch title but if you get a Switch don't pass up on it.
It seems the futuristic racer has made a return in 2017 (along with 3d platformers).

Old May 26th, 2017, 08:11 PM   #40
Vid Gamer

I just tried the ARMS demo, fun as hell.
Old May 27th, 2017, 11:14 AM   #41
bigloser

ARMs seems very unique. Almost like a hybrid of Punch-out and a slower Quake Arena, or UT.

I really enjoyed my time with it, but I do wonder how long it will keep people interested. Nintendo said there's something like 4,000 arm combinations, but the arms in the beta didn't feel like it changed the game tremendously.

The matches are over very quick. That might change as people get better, but we'll see.

I really do like the volleyball mode, and being tied to your teammate is a pretty cool twist on TDM.
Old May 30th, 2017, 03:48 PM   #42
YoungFan

YoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: xIceCBx
PSN: IceCB

Games Owned: 56
Send a message via AIM to YoungFan Send a message via Yahoo to YoungFan
Playerunknown's Battlegrounds
YoungFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2017, 10:12 PM   #43
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
My buddy and I just played through that Lego Undercover game on the Switch. Game was fun and funny enough for what ti is. Underwhelmed by the system. Some slowdown. Lots of crashing (a software issue, I know, but still). Definitely overpriced accessories, and tiny controllers.

We also played that minigame collection, 1 2 Switch or whatever. It was decent enough for the time it took us to play each minigame, but that's about it. I will say that the game where you have to tilt the "box" and guess how many balls are inside it really felt realistic.
Old June 24th, 2017, 09:59 PM   #44
Vid Gamer

Quote:
Played this and enjoyed it. Lots of customization options to either make levels harder or easier. Definitely recommended if you like classic Mega Man.

Also Jag you only have 5 hours played in BotW!? Waiting to play it or just not into it?
Old June 26th, 2017, 09:24 PM   #45
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting towards the end of Dragon Age: Inquisition. I still need to beat Dragon's Dogma and Saint's Row 4.
Old June 29th, 2017, 11:49 AM   #46
bigloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Gamer View Post
Also Jag you only have 5 hours played in BotW!? Waiting to play it or just not into it?
There's just been so much to play... from this year alone my backlog is huge. Yet I continue to buy more new games, I really need to stop doing that.

It's been made worse with how long games are now. I put in over 100 hours into Nioh, like 50 hours into Horizon and Nier: Automata, I have a good 50 hours into Prey, I love prey game is awesome. About 20 hours into Resident Evil 7, I've been playing Tekken 7 with Tray, that game is great too. Best 3D fighter i've played probably since Virtua Fighter 5...

I still have Rime, Little Nightmares, Persona 5, that new Plainscape game, Flinthook, Sexy Brutale, Yakuza Zero. I want to put more time into Mario Kart 8, and Arms. The Wipeout Collection is excellent... I could keep going but I want.

So basically I want to get to it, I've just been bouncing around to tons of different games.

Games man, never been a better time to be playing video games.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 02:13 PM   #47
Vid Gamer

The length of games is definitely a factor. It's impossible to play everything nowadays.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 10:47 PM   #48
Pahn

Well I'm about 85 hours into Dragon Age Inquisition, and should be beating it soonish. I went ahead and grabbed Far Cry 3. I'll get to that after SR4 and Dragon's Dogma, both of which are near completion.
Old July 5th, 2017, 09:35 AM   #49
bigloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
Well I'm about 85 hours into Dragon Age Inquisition, and should be beating it soonish. I went ahead and grabbed Far Cry 3. I'll get to that after SR4 and Dragon's Dogma, both of which are near completion.
Have you tried The Witcher 3 yet? Even if you didn't like the other Witchers, the 3rd one is pretty special. The storylines on a lot of the side quests are better than the main stories for most games out there.

Such a great game, one of my all time favorites.
Old July 5th, 2017, 10:17 AM   #50
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 95
Halo Wars 2 (Xbox One) - I think I have 2 or 3 missions left, to complete the campaign, and I've played a few skirmishes here and there.

Titanfall 2 (Xbox One) - I'm still having fun with the multiplayer, but I might go back and play through the campaign again, and maybe nab a few more achievements.

Horizon Zero Dawn (Playstation 4) - So far this is probably my favorite game of 2017. I'm not very far into it yet, but the story is good, the combat is fun, and I really like the enemies you discover in the game.

Microsoft is having their "Ultimate Game Sale" right now, and there's 3 games I'm probably going to pick up by the end of the week. Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition is $11.99 ($10 if you're a Gold member, which I am), Voodoo Vince is $9.74, and even though Vid Gamer's comments on Snake Pass aren't great, it's currently $11.99, so I think I might get it.

Oh, and I watched Microsoft's E3 press conference on Mixer, and in doing so received a free copy of Rare Replay, and two other games (both Indie I believe, but I'd have to look at the names)... so 32 new games to play... my backlog is growing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: