ConsoleCity Forums   GameStop, Inc.

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General ConsoleCity's general discussion forum, post anything and everything here.

Old November 8th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #1
phenom

phenom is a jewel in the roughphenom is a jewel in the roughphenom is a jewel in the roughphenom is a jewel in the roughphenom is a jewel in the roughphenom is a jewel in the roughphenom is a jewel in the roughphenom is a jewel in the roughphenom is a jewel in the roughphenom is a jewel in the roughphenom is a jewel in the rough

Games Owned: 4
Games Wanted: 0
Just bought a Samsung tv

I can't post pics for shit so here is a link to it.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsu...oductDetail.do

The cheapest I found in my area was at Circuit City for $3799. They got a deal going where you buy any plasma or projection tv over 1499 then you get a choice of either a free portable DVD player or an X-Box. Well I didn't have an X-Box but I do now. Comes with NCAA collge gameday and some skating game. Got Direct TV to go with. Didn't upgrade to the High Def receiver, still gotta get a decent surround sound system.

I like this tv a lot, didn't have to buy a separate stand for it and the picture is nice enough. A guy at Good Guys did show me side by side the difference between tv's with true 32 bit color and those without. They had this big 70" Mitsubishi with the Discovery channel. We compared the tv I just got to the Mitsubishi and you can see how colors aren't as "true blue" without those extra bits and chips. Still that Mitsubishi was too big and cost too much (about 7 grand) for me to consider it.

Those threads on buying tv's really helped me on being a little more informed when talking to the salesman. Even though the guy who helped me was brand new and was trying to get me to buy shit I didn't need. Why do I need a 90 dollar surge protector? And an additional $500 warranty coverage? I heard that's where these stores make there money on additional warranties.

For my surround sound I'm thinking of getting this Bose system here. I know Bose doesn't have the greatest rep but it seemed to sound good in the store.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Bose-...oductDetail.do
Old November 8th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #2
Bigg Russ

Bigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Bigg Russ

Games Owned: 73
Send a message via AIM to Bigg Russ Send a message via Yahoo to Bigg Russ
<----- is HATING right now!!!!

Congratu-fucking-lations, ya bastard.

Old November 8th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #3
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 0
Send a message via AIM to turningpoint

here ya go.

nice purchase.

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 01:14 PM   #4
Bigg Russ

Bigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond repute

Now that I think about it, that was the VERY TV that caught my eye at Best Buy on Sunday. Some worker bee was rearranging the sets and whatnot. The stand is what caught my eye at first, then the picture. Great purchase!
Old November 8th, 2004, 01:14 PM   #5
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom

For my surround sound I'm thinking of getting this Bose system here. I know Bose doesn't have the greatest rep but it seemed to sound good in the store.

That's only 5.1 surround, with a tv like that, it demands a 7.1 or a 7.2 surround sound system, especially if you got a grand to blow on it.

Get a onkyo receiver thats supports 7.1 and go buy 7 really nice speakers.

You and you'll be set, just ask a sales person for help. ( home theaters in a box suck IMO)

Old November 8th, 2004, 01:16 PM   #6
phenom

phenom is a jewel in the roughphenom is a jewel in the roughphenom is a jewel in the roughphenom is a jewel in the roughphenom is a jewel in the roughphenom is a jewel in the roughphenom is a jewel in the roughphenom is a jewel in the roughphenom is a jewel in the roughphenom is a jewel in the roughphenom is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by turningpoint

here ya go.

nice purchase.

Thank you TP and BR. I'm kinda excited on the inside. I guess this is the same kind of feeling a girl has when she gets that big diamond rock on her finger, I just keep thinking about it...........
Old November 8th, 2004, 01:18 PM   #7
turningpoint

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo...oductDetail.do
^^^ Onkyo Receiver. ( you can hook up like 7 things to this also, which is very convienent

^^ get those bose speakers if you want bose speakers.

the onkyo receiver is perfect, and if you want the Bose mini cube speakers ( which are wonderful in my parents house) i think you can buy those seperately also.

Old November 8th, 2004, 01:31 PM   #8
GuitarGuru

GuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 369
Send a message via AIM to GuitarGuru
If you get a tv like that, you MUST get the HD reciever. total waste of money without it.
Old November 8th, 2004, 01:32 PM   #9
DefMATRIXense

DefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: ShadowBigBoss

Games Owned: 25
Send a message via AIM to DefMATRIXense
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGuru
If you get a tv like that, you MUST get the HD reciever. total waste of money without it.
Can he get Voom instead?
Old November 8th, 2004, 01:34 PM   #10
Zach

Zach will become famous soon enoughZach will become famous soon enoughZach will become famous soon enoughZach will become famous soon enoughZach will become famous soon enoughZach will become famous soon enough

Fuck that, for that price it should have come with the HDTV receiver
Old November 8th, 2004, 01:40 PM   #11
turningpoint

Voom is worthless, if you have a cable you can get a HD receiver for free and it's a top of the line one, at least mine is.

My Hdtv looks amazing in Hidef and i wouldn't ever be with out it. Football looks like 10 yd fight in non hidef. with hi def,espn football 2005.

If you don't have a HDTV save up $600 and go buy a 30in or 26in.

Old November 8th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #12
humanity

humanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of light

Sometimes the warranty can be worth it (particularly on DLP TV's). The idea is that the bulb burns out after X amount of usage. The warranty plan covers the cost of a new bulb when it burns out. So, if you watch enough TV, you'll get more than your money's worth. It just depends on how much you use it.

By the way, I wouldn't go with Bose. They're a name brand known to the average cosumer, but notorious for shitty equipment on the audiophile scene. Check out some Home Theater forums and get some really good recommendations before you drop any cash; you won't regret it.

Last edited by humanity : November 8th, 2004 at 01:44 PM.
humanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 01:51 PM   #13
Bigg Russ

Fuck it. Get some Paradigm speakers and call it a day.
Old November 8th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #14
phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGuru

Yeah I know. It's just at this moment in time I'm using my resources on something else. Basically I'm saving around 1200-1400 a month on my next big purchase that's going to be even better than this tv.

This is it.

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/03/g35coupe05_05.jpg

It's going to take about another 5 months to save up the down payment I want to put down on it so I'm sacraficing a little bit. After I get this then I will be getting the high def receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turningpoint
Voom is worthless, if you have a cable you can get a HD receiver for free and it's a top of the line one, at least mine is.

My Hdtv looks amazing in Hidef and i wouldn't ever be with out it. Football looks like 10 yd fight in non hidef. with hi def,espn football 2005.

If you don't have a HDTV save up $600 and go buy a 30in or 26in.
That's why I got Direct TV for the sports packages they offer. It's too late for the NFL Ticket I'll just wait till next year. I have a 27" Toshiba that's going in the bedroom and after coming from seeing all the high def tv's it's depressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanity
Sometimes the warranty can be worth it (particularly on DLP TV's). The idea is that the bulb burns out after X amount of usage. The warranty plan covers the cost of a new bulb when it burns out. So, if you watch enough TV, you'll get more than your money's worth. It just depends on how much you use it.

By the way, I wouldn't go with Bose. They're a name brand known to the average cosumer, but notorious for shitty equipment on the audiophile scene. Check out some Home Theater forums and get some really good recommendations before you drop any cash; you won't regret it.
I think I will stroll over to see what everyone recommends. I have about 10 days before they deliver the tv and satellite. I want everything all ready so they can hook it all up at one time............
Old November 8th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #15
Korr

Korr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of lightKorr is a glorious beacon of light

Live!: Korranator

Games Owned: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Russ
Fuck it. Get some Paradigm speakers and call it a day.
I own a set of Studio 40s from their refrence line, and love them but they are pricey. If he only has a about a grand to spend then Onix's Rocket ELT package will fucking own any store name brand for both price and high quality.

---------------------------------------------------

President Barack Obama - said his $787 billion stimulus bill “has worked as intended”
Korr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 02:44 PM   #16
DefMATRIXense

DefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond reputeDefMATRIXense has a reputation beyond repute

Peter, don't understand why you said that? What makes you think Voom is worthless. I really doubt HD channels are free as you claimed if a cable subcriptor..
Old November 8th, 2004, 02:46 PM   #17
Bigg Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefMATRIXense
Peter, don't understand why you said that? What makes you think Voom is worthless. I really doubt HD channels are free as you claimed if a cable subcriptor..
LMAO! He's referring to the receiver, man. I have an HD receiver and didn't pay a dime for it.
Old November 8th, 2004, 02:56 PM   #18
DefMATRIXense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Russ
LMAO! He's referring to the receiver, man. I have an HD receiver and didn't pay a dime for it.

Ahhhhhhhh but What has do with Voom? Am I missing something?
Old November 8th, 2004, 03:01 PM   #19
phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefMATRIXense
Ahhhhhhhh but What has do with Voom? Am I missing something?

I'm not sure where the disconnect is but this is what I know. The 3 satellite services (Direct TV, Voom and Dish network) you buy a satellite and box. The high def receiver is an additional purchase that is quite expensive in the range of 3-400 bucks. I haven't Voom but I this is the way I saw it worked with Direct and Dish so I assume it's the same.

If you don't get the high def receiver the high def channels don't come in high def. You can always add one on later if you want to............
Old November 8th, 2004, 03:01 PM   #20
turningpoint

It has nothing to do with Voom, but you get about 19 channels on voom for 39.99, and well i don't need to watch basket weaving in HDTV, or soccer in hdtv. I because I'm not gonna watch it in the 1st place. You can get most of the hdtv channels on direct tv or cable that voom offers.

On top of the 39.99 a month it's like 199 to install.

If you were really well off and watched a lot of tv, only then i think it would be worth getting.

Old November 8th, 2004, 03:30 PM   #21
texbumTHElife

texbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond reputetexbumTHElife has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 22
Send a message via AIM to texbumTHElife
Or you could have bought a TV with a built in HD reciever like I did... dumb ass!

Yes I am VERY jealous.

I dont knwo what you do for a living Phenom but if they need any more help then let me know.
Old November 8th, 2004, 03:34 PM   #22
Morpheus

Morpheus is on a distinguished roadMorpheus is on a distinguished road

Games Owned: 41
Thumbs up

Congrats phenom. I was at Circuit City over the weekend and that same TV stopped me in my tracks. They had Finding Nemo playing on it and the picture was just amazing.
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 04:38 PM   #23
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
Red face

Yikes. I'm trying to remember what I paid for my first HDTV. I need to replace it now, finally.
Old June 28th, 2017, 09:36 PM   #24
erp

erp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura about

PSN: nittynittsters

Games Owned: 190
I think in 2007 I paid $400-500 for my Dell 24" 720p HDTV. I'm still using it as a monitor for my laptop right now.

Then around Black Friday 2009 I paid about $800 for a combo package - Sony 40" 120 Hz 1080P HDTV and a Sony Blu-Ray player. I don't think I used the Blu-Ray player much since I ended up getting a PS3 but I am still using the tv.
Old June 30th, 2017, 05:11 PM   #25
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
I bought a 42" Samsung DLP in 2005 for $900. I hooked it up to an antenna and was blown away by the picture quality. The TV only lasted about 2 or so years before the DLP mirror started going bad, and I didn't feel like paying $300 or so for a new one. I think we went back to standard def for a while, until 2010, when my in-laws and some friends bought us an LCD as a housewarming gift. I still have that TV.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: