ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gaming
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gaming One place to talk all games

Old April 15th, 2017, 12:44 PM   #26
Vid Gamer

Vid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of light

Live!: BizzyBum
PSN: BizzyBum
Steam: BizzyBum

Games Owned: 375
Games Wanted: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by erp View Post
Annnnnd it looks like there will be no more NES Classics. Nintendo announced the end. I think they just made them to spark an interest and create a buzz about Nintendo again leading up to the Switch. They know they can make much more money selling individual games through an eStore than physical hardware + 30 games for $60.
Yup, not to mention you can easily hack the thing to give you 700 games on it.

Quote:
Ebay prices have DOUBLED since the announcement. I did not order any units during the Best Buy 30 minute window because I didn't care enough but now I am seriously regretting it. I know there are better retro gaming options but having that NES sitting there looks nice.
Currently trending at like $300, fucking nuts.
Vid Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2017, 01:28 PM   #27
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 95
Quote:
I think they just made them to spark an interest and create a buzz about Nintendo again leading up to the Switch. They know they can make much more money selling individual games through an eStore than physical hardware + 30 games for $60.
Yeah, I think that's exactly why they did it. They pretty much had nothing for the Holiday season, with the exception of the 3DS. I understand the eStore argument, but how many people buy retro titles from it, and how many buy enough that the NES Classic would possibly cannibalize sales the WiiU or the upcoming Switch? I think if they had enough supply that during the holiday season you had these things at cardboard stands before the checkouts at Walmart Nintendo would have made millions in profit!

I'm hoping Amazon, Best Buy or somebody gets some more by the end of the month, that they have another 30 minute or so window of being able to order. I'd still like to get my hands on one... but there's going to be a lot of people trying to scalp these now, and there's no way I'm paying hundreds of dollars for one.

Stupid Nintendo!

Last edited by Jerome : April 15th, 2017 at 01:31 PM.
Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 02:54 PM   #28
erp

erp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura about

PSN: nittynittsters

Games Owned: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
I understand the eStore argument, but how many people buy retro titles from it, and how many buy enough that the NES Classic would possibly cannibalize sales the WiiU or the upcoming Switch? I think if they had enough supply that during the holiday season you had these things at cardboard stands before the checkouts at Walmart Nintendo would have made millions in profit!

I don't know. How much does Nintendo make off each classic unit? $60 does not leave a lot of room for profit. At least not a lot per game sold compared to selling games for $5 each through an eStore.

How much to manufacture and ship it to retailers? $15?
How much does retailers make per unit? $10?
How much does Nintendo have to pay 3rd party developers to use their games? 13 of the 30 games are 3rd party games. I can't imagine Capcom, Konomi, Square, etc would accept less than $2 per title. So, $26 per unit to 3rd party developers?

$60 - $15 - $10 - $26 = $9 profit per unit

I am just estimating these numbers without any real knowledge of typical profit margins but I can totally see Nintendo preferring to sell digital classics at $5 each.

What Nintendo should have done was give it WiFi and the ability to connect to Virtual Console so more games could be purchased.
Old April 20th, 2017, 07:22 AM   #29
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Yeah, I don't know how much they make off of each unit, but I think it's pretty clear they're missing out on millions of dollars in profit. There was a news article stating that they reported having sold 1.5 million units, worldwide, back in January. I think it's pretty safe to say they could have doubled that (easily) during the Holidays.

Imagine them having enough supply that these things were on cardboard kiosks near toy or electronic sections... or even up by the checkouts, during Christmas! I also wouldn't be surprised if the majority of buyers would be people who have no intention of buying more retro games from a Virtual Console... and may not even own a Wii U or now the Switch.

Quote:
What Nintendo should have done was give it WiFi and the ability to connect to Virtual Console so more games could be purchased.
Absolutely! I know a lot of people were really disappointed that type of feature was missing.
Old September 12th, 2017, 09:50 PM   #30
erp

erp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura about

PSN: nittynittsters

Games Owned: 180
More NES Classic Editions coming in 2018.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/12/tech...018/index.html
Old September 20th, 2017, 06:59 AM   #31
Jerome

Quote:
More NES Classic Editions coming in 2018.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/12/tech...018/index.html
Maybe Nintendo isn't allergic to money after all!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: