ConsoleCity Forums   GameStop, Inc.

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gaming
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gaming One place to talk all games

Old July 5th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #101
-Tetsuo-

-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 0
Games Wanted: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon Storm View Post
My guess is that his argument is that many of those 120 million people (in out region) playing those games online are the same people across multiple platforms (he'd most likely be right about that), and that it's still not the majority of console gamers this generation. I'm just playing devil's advocate here.
So you are telling me that he doesn't know what niche or mainstream means, then. A majority of people in the world don't listen to Lil Wayne but guess what....
Old July 6th, 2013, 01:34 AM   #102
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 191
Send a message via AIM to bigloser Send a message via MSN to bigloser
Quote:
My guess is that his argument is that many of those 120 million people (in out region) playing those games online are the same people across multiple platforms (he'd most likely be right about that), and that it's still not the majority of console gamers this generation. I'm just playing devil's advocate here.
There is some crossover. But games like League of Legends require such a time investment i'm pretty certain the crossover is a very small percentage of the 120 million.
Old July 6th, 2013, 03:39 AM   #103
Xeo

Xeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these partsXeo is infamous around these parts

Live!: Xeo

Send a message via AIM to Xeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by speKtor View Post
Still right.

Get Games On GamersGate.com
Xeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #104
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tetsuo- View Post
So you are telling me that he doesn't know what niche or mainstream means, then. A majority of people in the world don't listen to Lil Wayne but guess what....
I'm just the messenger.
Old July 6th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #105
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: MarsupialJones

Games Owned: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloser View Post
So with the PS3, 360, and games on the PC like League of Legends, Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft you have roughly 120 million people playing online.

That number is still niche to you?
What about consoles do you guys not understand here? I keep talking about consoles and you guys keep randomly throwing in stats about PC games.

No wonder you can't comprehend the reality. You have repeatedly shown you don't even comprehend the discussion.
Old July 6th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #106
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: MarsupialJones

Games Owned: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tetsuo- View Post
Retarded comparison. Lil Wayne is a dominant force in his field, he has had more singles in the top 100 than anyone in history. Online gaming doesn't dominate consoles in anyway shape or form. Almost half of 360's don't even have a live account.

Think about that for a second. You are trying to claim that online gaming is huge on consoles. Yet almost half of 360 owners ( the console most geared towards online gaming) care so little about it, or going online in general, that they didn't even bother to sign up for a free live account.

GTFOOH, lol.

Last edited by speKtor : July 6th, 2013 at 05:57 PM.
speKtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #107
YoungFan

YoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: xIceCBx
PSN: IceCB

Games Owned: 56
Send a message via AIM to YoungFan Send a message via Yahoo to YoungFan
Quote:
Retarded comparison. Lil Wayne is a dominant force in his field, he has had more singles in the top 100 than anyone in history. Online gaming doesn't dominate consoles in anyway shape or form. Almost half of 360's don't even have a live account.

Think about that for a second. You are trying to claim that online gaming is huge on consoles. Yet almost half of 360 owners ( the console most geared towards online gaming) care so little about it, or going online in general, that they didn't even bother to sign up for a free live account.

GTFOOH, lol.

Wtf are you getting your info from

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...never-be-free/

That is over half
YoungFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #108
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
That figure includes silver memberships.

Not that I'm arguing speK's point. I'm just saying.
Old July 6th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #109
YoungFan

YoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: xIceCBx
PSN: IceCB

Games Owned: 56
Send a message via AIM to YoungFan Send a message via Yahoo to YoungFan
Yes but he just said that almost half hasn't signed up for the free Xbox live.
YoungFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #110
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute

Someone in this thread, and I will not name names, has an issue with admitting they were wrong.

More people play online right now than the entire number of people who owned the genesis and SNES combined.

But it's still a niche.

The most popular console game, Call of Duty, has 40 million players a month across all Call of Duty games.

http://mp1st.com/2012/02/12/over-40-...down-by-title/

But online is still niche. Yup, only a handful of people play online, just a tiny, small, insignificant amount of people.
Old July 7th, 2013, 05:14 AM   #111
-Tetsuo-

-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light

I can't believe this guy is still going.
Old July 7th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #112
Vid Gamer

Vid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of light

Live!: BizzyBum
PSN: BizzyBum
Steam: BizzyBum

Games Owned: 375
spek reminds me of one of my friends who will argue his point no matter what even if he's completely wrong and we kinda just end up nodding and letting it die cause he gets annoying as fuck. lol
Vid Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #113
-Tetsuo-

Quote:
For EA, at least, it's the system's lack of a rich multiplayer environment that's one of the big concerns - especially for sports titles. (That's part of the reason Madden won't appear on the system this year.)

"The lack of online engagement that we see on Wii U [is troubling]," says Moore. "It's so integral to what we do. They're so small it's hardly worth running the servers. It seems like a box that's out of sync with the future of EA - which is one that gives a real social feel to our games. The Wii U feels like an offline experience right now."
So niche that EA isn't bringing games to the Wii U because of it.
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #114
OneEyedJap

OneEyedJap has much to be proud ofOneEyedJap has much to be proud ofOneEyedJap has much to be proud ofOneEyedJap has much to be proud ofOneEyedJap has much to be proud ofOneEyedJap has much to be proud ofOneEyedJap has much to be proud ofOneEyedJap has much to be proud ofOneEyedJap has much to be proud ofOneEyedJap has much to be proud ofOneEyedJap has much to be proud of

Live!: Bill Cosby Jr

Send a message via MSN to OneEyedJap
Lol @ online gaming still being niche.

Come on, man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Suave View Post
I'm not gay or anything, but if Tom Brady wanted to have sex with me, I'd probably have too out of general principle.
OneEyedJap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 11:59 AM   #115
bigloser

Will online gaming ever become be anything other than niche?

Quote:
League of Legends has 27 million daily active players
http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/27/535...active-players

Watch DOTA2 on ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/watchespn/index/...in-event-day-1

spektor nailed it.
Old December 27th, 2016, 10:03 PM   #116
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Question

Did he say that he won't ever be anything more than a niche thing? I don't remember anymore.
Old December 28th, 2016, 10:59 AM   #117
bigloser

Quote:
Did he say that he won't ever be anything more than a niche thing? I don't remember anymore.
Yeah he said never.

Quote:
online gaming is a niche market, it will never catch on with the mainstream market. it will always be a hardcore gaming niche. i cant belive the emphasis some people put on it. like Bigloser said, there are nine million people out there who dont have XBL.
Old December 28th, 2016, 05:51 PM   #118
Aeon Storm

I'll be honest, I didn't think online console gaming would be as big a deal as it is now back in the XBOX/PS2/Gamecube days (on the PC, sure, I knew that of course), but I'd never hold to that today.

I think he might have to concede the point at this point.
Old December 29th, 2016, 02:07 PM   #119
Shaolin

Shaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 92
Send a message via ICQ to Shaolin Send a message via Yahoo to Shaolin
Imma' help you out here, Spek.

Things have changed since your initial prediction/declaration thirteen fucking years ago. Thats how life is! Acknowledge it and move on. Even people who don't game online know that there is such a common thing as gaming online. They don't play, but their kids do, their spouses do, their friends or relatives or coworkers do. Its a mainstream thing now.

Shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 02:35 PM   #120
Aeon Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
Imma' help you out here, Spek.

Things have changed since your initial prediction/declaration thirteen fucking years ago.
Holy shit. Children that some of us hadn't even sired when this thread was made are having awkward sex for the first time, probably right now as I type this.

Where did the time go?
Old January 22nd, 2020, 02:39 PM   #121
-Tetsuo-

What year is it? Where is spektor? Probably playing Fortnite.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: