ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Retro Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Retro Games For the retro gamer in you, system unspecific.

Old July 16th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #1
Overkill
Staff Member

Overkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Zadoc

Games Owned: 432
Games Wanted: 81
Send a message via ICQ to Overkill Send a message via AIM to Overkill Send a message via MSN to Overkill Send a message via Yahoo to Overkill
Strangest Controllers Ever

Atari Mindlink

This controller was designed to be hands free. Presumably, this was to allow for maximum masturbation quality when playing Custard's Revenge. Somehow, this device was supposed to control a video game with "the mind" i.e., with eyebrow movements.

Activator

Ahh... yes. The controller that puts you into the action!
'Welcome to the next level" became "Jump into the action." The idea was that you could stand in this octagon and punch and kick and those movements would be transferred into the game, in games like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter, et cetera. Well, what really happened is that you stood there like a moron waving your arms about like you had no sense at all. I actually own of these rare but not so valuable controllers. I used it as a kid and it is as worthless as it looks. Fighting games were impossible. I got to level two in Sonic 2, and that was it for me.

R.O.B.

Just look at how useless this NES controller is.

Powerglove

Anyone whose ever used this knows that it's almost as worthless as R.O.B., but to an 8 year old, man did this look cool! Especially when it was showcased in that crappy movie.

LaserScope

Don't you just feel ubercool when you imagine your friends seeing you in this insane getup? If just wearing it makes you feel like a fool, it gets better. Remember how silly you felt when playing Hey You, Pikachu? Well, this "laser" head gear device was voice activated! "Shoot!" "Fire Lasers!" I wish I could find a video of someone playing this thing. On the plus side, it did have built in head phones. I have never actually seen one of these in person.

Interactor

If those other gaming devices didn't make you cool with your friends, the Aura Interactor was sure to do the trick. It was advertized that you would "feel the punches and kicks and bullets." A gamer strapped this think to their back and it would basically vibrate. Thank god that "rumble" was invented soon thereafter.
Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Julez

Julez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: PattF

Games Owned: 0
Games Wanted: 0
I remember I really wanted an Aura Interactor. I thought it would change how I played games, man I was young and dumb.
Old July 17th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #3
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
Talking I thought it would change how I played games, man I was young and dumb.

Ahahahahahahazh! AAAAAhahahahahaha! I'm literally LMAO here! + rep.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 11:01 AM   #4
DG

DG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 28
The only one of those I had was the Power Glove.

The technology was far more entertaining to think about than actually using the thing. Building a controller that used sonar was a bizarre and cool move.

The game that it worked best with (aside from that boring Breakout game), was Rad Racer. You actually grabbed a "wheel" and rotated your arm to steer. After 15 minutes or so of holding your arm out in front of you it got tiresome and boring.

That's my main worry about the Wii controller. Will it be comfortable for hours on end?
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 02:34 PM   #5
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 267
Send a message via AIM to mountpanic Send a message via Yahoo to mountpanic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
That's my main worry about the Wii controller. Will it be comfortable for hours on end?
We'll see how sensitive it is, but I suspect people will end up laying their arm on their knee and flicking with the wrist, for the most part.

There is no one you couldn't love once you've heard their story.
Mary Lou Kownacki (via Fred Rogers)

Enjoy the CC Free Games Archive
mountpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 09:28 AM   #6
DG

DG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountpanic
We'll see how sensitive it is, but I suspect people will end up laying their arm on their knee and flicking with the wrist, for the most part.
Not the most comfortable way to game. I see some serious problems with all three "next gen" systems. Xbox 360 is overpriced, underwhelming and has some reliability problems. The PS3 may have reliability problems, is way overpriced, and so far looks underwhelming in terms of computing power. The Wii should be very reasonably priced, looks to have some interesting games, but not as powerful as the other two systems, and the ergonomics of the controller are in doubt.

Fuck it. My "Next Gen" system might be the last system from this generation, a PS2.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 03:02 AM   #7
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

I've been trying to tell ya.
Old July 30th, 2006, 11:11 PM   #8
Bigg Russ

Bigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Bigg Russ

Games Owned: 73
Send a message via AIM to Bigg Russ Send a message via Yahoo to Bigg Russ
Please. The 360 is off the chains...
Bigg Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #9
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 267
Send a message via AIM to mountpanic Send a message via Yahoo to mountpanic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Russ
Please. The 360 is off the chains...
Would those be the chains to interesting games, or the chains to reliable hardware?

There is no one you couldn't love once you've heard their story.
Mary Lou Kownacki (via Fred Rogers)

Enjoy the CC Free Games Archive
mountpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 12:44 AM   #10
Aeon Storm

Seriously.
Old July 31st, 2006, 09:47 AM   #11
Bigg Russ

Bigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Bigg Russ

Games Owned: 73
Send a message via AIM to Bigg Russ Send a message via Yahoo to Bigg Russ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountpanic
Would those be the chains to interesting games, or the chains to reliable hardware?
Clever.
Bigg Russ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: