ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Retro Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Retro Games For the retro gamer in you, system unspecific.

Old July 12th, 2006, 04:10 AM   #1
Overkill
Staff Member

Overkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Zadoc

Games Owned: 432
Games Wanted: 81
Send a message via ICQ to Overkill Send a message via AIM to Overkill Send a message via MSN to Overkill Send a message via Yahoo to Overkill
New Tom Kalinske Interview

Tom Kalinske was the President of Sega of America during the Genesis era, and is the man who led Sega of America to outsell Nintendo in the United States.

This is a very good article, and it really shows how and why Sega went down the road that it did:

http://www.sega-16.com/Interview-%20Tom%20Kalinske.htm
Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:37 AM   #2
fgarriel

fgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant future

Games Owned: 133
Games Wanted: 0
thanks for the post. I'm not hip to too much Sega history, so this was interesting.
fgarriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #3
Overkill
Staff Member

Overkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to Overkill Send a message via AIM to Overkill Send a message via MSN to Overkill Send a message via Yahoo to Overkill
It's a shame that SoJ felt so threatened by SoA.

Sega was offered the N64 chipset? They would have creamed Sony with that kind of power.

Sega was offered a partnership with Sony before Nintendo?

I suppose that both Sega and Nintendo are responsible for creating their own worst enemy.
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:21 PM   #4
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Yom Kalinske Interview - Amazing insight into Sega

EDIT: Gotta love my typos, and can't edit the title. It's Tom Kalinske.

Gotta admit, I always that that it was the inner strife betwen SoA and SoJ that caused Sega to die, not just the failed consoles. SoJ was always calling the shots when it was SoA having all of the success.

Some highlights from this interview:

- SoJ exects felt resentment because SoA had cauhgt up to Nintendo with the Genesis, while they (SoJ) couldn't give the system away.

- SoA expressed interested in a chipset by an upstart company called SGI. SoJ flat out rejected it because it was "weaker" than the chipset they were working on. So, soJ's chipset became the Saturn, and SGI's became the core of the N64. Weaker my ass...

I haven't finished reading it, but so far, it's an excellent read. I was always pissed that SoJ canned him, but knew it was because of him fighting their stupidity on the Saturn.

http://www.sega-16.com/Interview-%20Tom%20Kalinske.php

Last edited by Exodus : August 1st, 2006 at 10:30 PM.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 11:52 AM   #5
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 95
Cool. I'll have to read this interview. I knew SOJ pretty much held all the power, just like when the Dreamcast was in development, and SOA was shot down when suggesting the use of a IBM/Motorolla PowerPC processor, and the use of a custom 3Dfx Voodoo 3 graphics chip. Though I heard some stories where SOA had some opportunities to make differences, but dropped the ball on several occassions. Though I doubt most of them are true.

There's a story about how during the Dreamcast days SOJ had a demo for a new Streets of Rage game, and when brought to SOA, for approval, it was shot down, and the big-wigs at SOA never heard of Streets of Rage. I question this, considering I don't see why SOJ would need approval from SOA.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 12:38 PM   #6
Shaolin

Shaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 92
Send a message via ICQ to Shaolin Send a message via Yahoo to Shaolin
Thumbs up

Good interview and link...thanx!

Shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:32 PM   #7
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
Quote:
There's a story about how during the Dreamcast days SOJ had a demo for a new Streets of Rage game
OMG, I rememeber that horrible Dreamcast "Streets of Rage" dev video. Shit was GARBAGE.
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #8
fgarriel

fgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant future

Already been posted

http://consolecity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67646
Old August 4th, 2006, 10:36 AM   #9
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgarriel View Post
My bad, I thought that a Sega topic would be best served in the Sega sub-forum? I don't read the Retro forums, just as I don't read the General forum when I'm looking for sports topics
Old August 4th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #10
fgarriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
My bad, I thought that a Sega topic would be best served in the Sega sub-forum? I don't read the Retro forums, just as I don't read the General forum when I'm looking for sports topics
no problem... just letting others know in case you/they wanted to read other discussion on the topic
Old August 8th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #11
Exodus

Sega topic...Sega forum...

Thank you, have a nice day.
Old August 8th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #12
Overkill
Staff Member

The Sega forum is for Dreamcast still, and the Retro forum is for retro Sega still.
Old August 15th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #13
The Krakken

The Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 46
I used to have empathy for Sega and how things went down, but I gotta say that after reading that, though I'm not glad they failed, I no longer feel sorry for those proud ****s in Japan. They got just what they deserved for their arrogance.
Old August 17th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #14
Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Krakken View Post
I used to have empathy for Sega and how things went down, but I gotta say that after reading that, though I'm not glad they failed, I no longer feel sorry for those proud ****s in Japan. They got just what they deserved for their arrogance.
Agreed. Japanese developers, for the most part, piss me off. They really do look down on us.

Hideo Kojima has his head screwed on straight. He admits that the Americans are his target audience, because we're more passionate about games. He says that Japanese devs are so far behind the western devs.
Old August 18th, 2006, 02:45 AM   #15
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Quote:
He says that Japanese devs are so far behind the western devs.
In churning out FPS, maybe.
Old August 18th, 2006, 11:09 AM   #16
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Urgh, man. All I can say is Fuck SEGA of Japan. Really.
Old August 18th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #17
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 267
Send a message via AIM to mountpanic Send a message via Yahoo to mountpanic
Quote:
Hideo Kojima has his head screwed on straight.
THAT's a bold statement.

There is no one you couldn't love once you've heard their story.
Mary Lou Kownacki (via Fred Rogers)

Enjoy the CC Free Games Archive
mountpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #18
Aeon Storm

Really, I always thought Hideo was batshit crazy.
Old August 18th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #19
Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountpanic View Post
THAT's a bold statement.
I apologize. Let me fix it.

Hideo Kojima has his head screwed on straight...when compared to other Japanese devs.
Old August 18th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #20
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 267
Send a message via AIM to mountpanic Send a message via Yahoo to mountpanic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon Storm View Post
Really, I always thought Hideo was batshit crazy.
That's exactly the term I use for it.

I mean, I know what Exo is saying, but fa'really tho...

There is no one you couldn't love once you've heard their story.
Mary Lou Kownacki (via Fred Rogers)

Enjoy the CC Free Games Archive
mountpanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: