ConsoleCity Forums   GameStop, Inc.

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gaming
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gaming One place to talk all games

Old January 13th, 2017, 04:41 PM   #1
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 191
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via AIM to bigloser Send a message via MSN to bigloser
Nintendo Switch - Nintendo's Hybrid

Nintendo had a press conference last night giving pricing ($299.99) and launch date (3/3/17) details about their next generation console/handheld. I was very optismistic about the Switch. Nintendo finally having all their great games on one platform sounds like a great idea, and I'm sure it will be down the road.

But the press conference did nothing but lower my expectations. First Nintendo announces they have a new online service, one that requires a monthly fee. Much like PSN and XBL you get a free game per month, one that is (psn/xbl is 2 or more). But not only is it only one game, but it's limited to old roms from the NES/SNES era, and you don't get to play it past that month. Here's NoA's official statement...

"Confirmed by NOA: Monthly free classic game on Switch is indeed only available for that month. More deets on Virtual Console before launch."

The price also seems a little disappointing, $299.99 for such a weak console. But I can live with that, it'll probably drop soon anyway. But they are charging $79.99 for extra controller, that's just outrageous.

The lineup is looking very strange right now, with mostly rereleases of games as far as from 8 years ago (Street Fight 2 HD). Along with some newer games (Rayman Legends, Skyrim, I AM Satsuma, LEGO City, Mario kart 8, PuyoPuyo Tetris).

Nintendo did show two games that looked outstanding, and not surprisingly they're new installments from ZELDA...

And an all new 3D Mario game...

Handful of other games looked solid, like Mario Kart 8, and Splatoon. Also Bomberman franchise being revived is a pleasant surprise. I thought that went the way of Bonk's Adventure and Alex the Kid.

More details about the Switch:

When docked the Switch outputs to a TV up to 1080p, undocked the CPU/GPU is downclocked to save battery life, sceen is 720p, 6'2 inches. System specs haven't been officially given, but if the ones leaked are to be believed. Console power is somewhere between a Wii U and Xbox 1, probably more in the middle. 32 gigs of on board storage, mini sd slot for expandable storage.

Some off screen footage of the Switch screen.
https://external-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...lbYQ9ICxQ p13

Launch console is available in two SKUs, difference being the color of the Switch's controller.

Box art for the games looks like:

Switch's Pro Controller $69.99 sold separately:

Launch Lineup:
Zelda: BotW
1, 2, Switch $49.99
I Am Setsuna
Has Been Heroes
Just Dance 2017
Snipperclips - Cut it out, together! $19.99
Super Bomberman R

April 28, 2017
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe $59.99

Other announced Switch titles:
Spring 2017
Arms $59.99
Lego City Undercover
Sonic Mania

Summer 2017
Splatoon 2

Fall 2017
Skyrim
NBA 2k18 (September)

Holiday 2017
Super Mario Odyssey

Project Sonic 2017

TBD
Arcade Archives
FIFA
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
Disgaea 5 Complete
Dragonball Z Xenoverse 2
Farming Simulator
Fast RMX (that F-zero lookalike from the sizzle)
Fire Emblem Warriors
Minecraft Story Mode The complete adventure
Minecraft
Puyopuyo Tetris
Rayman Legends Definitive edition
Rime
Shin Megami Tensei
Skylanders Imaginators
Siberia 3
Steep

And this is what it looks like when a grown man is playing with the upgraded Switch motion controls.

http://i.imgur.com/4vPkNPs.gifv

Last edited by bigloser : January 13th, 2017 at 05:19 PM.
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2017, 08:17 AM   #2
Syndicate

Syndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud of

Live!: Syn Zero
PSN: SynZero-00

Games Owned: 397
Games Wanted: 4
...the event was a bit odd or just very Japanese, but I liked what I saw, enough that I went ahead and pre-ordered. Breath of the Wild, I Am Setsuna, Super Bomberman R, and Had Been Heroes are solid launch titles. With MK8 Deluxe, Sonic Mania, Ultra Street Fighter II (which turns out is actually not a port of SSFII HD Remix), Blaz Blue, and a bunch of JRPGs plus being region free it seems like a win for me. I'm going to the Switch preview event in DC so I'll get to see what it's all about.

"There's one party in Washington. It's the party of money."
David Cay. Johnston

"...forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead."
Phil 3:13

Current Game Rotation - Forza Horizon 3, Forza Motorsport 6, Firewatch, Halo:MCC XB1 | Phantasy Star 360 | PS3 | The Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda, Guacamelee: STCE Wii U
Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 07:13 PM   #3
Vid Gamer

Vid Gamer is just really niceVid Gamer is just really niceVid Gamer is just really niceVid Gamer is just really niceVid Gamer is just really niceVid Gamer is just really niceVid Gamer is just really niceVid Gamer is just really niceVid Gamer is just really niceVid Gamer is just really niceVid Gamer is just really nice

Live!: BizzyBum
PSN: BizzyBum
Steam: BizzyBum

Games Owned: 375
I'm getting it for Zelda.

That trailer was amazing.
Vid Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 10:33 PM   #4
Rico Suave

Rico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud of

Live!: Karma Slave

Games Owned: 135
Send a message via AIM to Rico Suave
I pre-ordered back on the 12th. Getting Zelda as well
Old January 18th, 2017, 02:39 AM   #5
Ibe6yoube9

Ibe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these parts

Live!: threeleggedcow
PSN: ibe6yoube9

Games Owned: 0
I have four games for the Wii U; Mario Maker, Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, and Super Mario Something.

The geek in me wants a Switch. I think the idea is pretty cool. The logic in me is saying hell no. I just think Nintendo consoles aren't worth the money. The gimmicks wear off, they're under-powered and there isn't enough games to warrant the purchase. If I think of it in terms of a handheld first, I might convince myself to buy one when Mario comes out.
Old January 19th, 2017, 10:37 AM   #6
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibe6yoube9 View Post
I have four games for the Wii U; Mario Maker, Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, and Super Mario Something.

The geek in me wants a Switch. I think the idea is pretty cool. The logic in me is saying hell no. I just think Nintendo consoles aren't worth the money. The gimmicks wear off, they're under-powered and there isn't enough games to warrant the purchase. If I think of it in terms of a handheld first, I might convince myself to buy one when Mario comes out.
Yeah, it doesn't sound like it's going to be very powerful. It sounds like it might be slightly more powerful than an Xbox One and PS4, but not nearly as powerful as a PS4 Pro or Scorpio. I saw an article stating the new Zelda game won't run at 1080p, which for 2017 is a bit of a surprise.

In terms of using it as a handheld first, it sure would be powerful in that regard. Only thing that sucks is the battery life can be as low as 2 to 2.5 hours.

I'm not going to get one at launch, although knowing Nintendo most people who want one won't be able to anyway. I'll wait a little bit, for some more games to get released.
Old January 19th, 2017, 02:11 PM   #7
Ibe6yoube9

Ibe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these parts

Live!: threeleggedcow
PSN: ibe6yoube9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
Yeah, it doesn't sound like it's going to be very powerful. It sounds like it might be slightly more powerful than an Xbox One and PS4, but not nearly as powerful as a PS4 Pro or Scorpio. I saw an article stating the new Zelda game won't run at 1080p, which for 2017 is a bit of a surprise.
I'm really not surprised. A lot of Xbox One games don't even hit 1080p and from what I understand, the performance is less than the original PS4. I don't particular care about specs outside the fact that I'm not going to buy a multi-platform game on a weaker system. Nintendo systems have always been first party games only for me, which is basically Mario.
Old January 19th, 2017, 06:00 PM   #8
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute

It's looking like Nintendo has made developers sign NDAs sayin they are not allowed to talk about Switch specs.

But it's obvious it's not nearly as powerful as even the base Xbox One. It's getting a new FIFA game based on the 360 version, Skyrim is not the remaster, but also based on a last-gen version.

It's essentially an extremely powerful handheld, but a very weak console. And that's what has me worried about the Switch. It's trying to be a jack of all trades, but will probably end up being a master of none.

Yes, it's a very powerful handheld, but the battery life is pretty mediocre... It looks a lot less durable than their past handhelds, not to mention 300 dollars seems a bit high for a handheld you might buy your 8 year old kid.

The MSRP on the games are ridiculous. 50 or $60 for Bomberman R? $59.99 for Minecraft? 1 2 Switch 49.99? These prices seem high for console games, let alone handheld titles.

Such a weird product... with that being said I still have one preordered for launch because i'm a big stupid head.

Konami's PR sent out some bullet points for the new Bomberman. One of the bullet points is photo-realistic graphics...

Here's how Bomberman R looks...

I do love the box art though...

Old January 19th, 2017, 10:00 PM   #9
Vid Gamer

Vid Gamer is just really niceVid Gamer is just really niceVid Gamer is just really niceVid Gamer is just really niceVid Gamer is just really niceVid Gamer is just really niceVid Gamer is just really niceVid Gamer is just really niceVid Gamer is just really niceVid Gamer is just really niceVid Gamer is just really nice

It'll probably be a Wii U 2.0, but the Wii U had some awesome games. lol

I wonder what Nintendo would do if Switch is a failure. 3rd party?
Old January 20th, 2017, 01:51 AM   #10
Rico Suave

Rico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud of

Having a unified portable console is what excites me the most about the Switch.

I really like portable gaming with my 3DS and Vita. (and my retro handhelds)

With my Vita, I found myself wanting to stream games from my PS4 to play in bed or out of the living room, but of course streaming is not quite the same as playing a native game... Also, having some games that came out on both the Vita and PS4 but not multiplayer compatible was a disappointment. (For example, Minecraft)

Being able to play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate between Wii U and 3DS was great, but that was the only game I could do that.

The Nintendo Switch seemingly fixes these issues as portable and on the big screen are the same platform.

I really don't mind any graphic "downgrades" (I still think the graphics looks fine to me) as it is portable as well.

If I was really concerned with graphics I would play on my PC anyways...
Old January 21st, 2017, 09:00 AM   #11
bigloser

I can't wait for the next Monster Hunter, and even Pokemon.

Would prefer to play both of those games on a TV.
Old January 21st, 2017, 07:58 PM   #12
Vid Gamer

I feel like Nintendo should make a Pokemon MMO for the Switch. That would sell like crazy.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 02:27 PM   #13
Rico Suave

I have not played any of the pokemon games except pokemon go on smart phones. I might give them a try.

I would also love a Phantasy Star game as well, new or even a port.
Old January 30th, 2017, 07:43 PM   #14
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Why couldn't they just repackage the Wii U advanced controller? Somehow the new one is worth like $20 more?

The whole thing seems like a poor value proposition, and will inevitably end in failure.

Nintendo has had quite a run, but really, they've had more bad consoles than good. I'm surprised they're still around.
Old January 30th, 2017, 09:46 PM   #15
bigloser

The Switch Pro Controller has HD Rumble and a sensor than can detect hand gestures so you could hypothetically play Rock, Paper, scissors with the Switch. So it's not exactly like the Wii U Pro Controller.

The joycon controller (controllers on the side of the Switch) retails for 79.99.

Also the little piece of plastic you slip the joycons on to make a full controller comes with the console but doesn't charge your controllers. If you want that you'll need to spend another 29.99 to buy a piece of plastic that looks nearly identical to the one that comes with the Switch except it can actually change your controllers.
Old January 31st, 2017, 08:37 AM   #16
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloser View Post
The joycon controller (controllers on the side of the Switch) retails for 79.99.

Also the little piece of plastic you slip the joycons on to make a full controller comes with the console but doesn't charge your controllers. If you want that you'll need to spend another 29.99 to buy a piece of plastic that looks nearly identical to the one that comes with the Switch except it can actually change your controllers.
Wow...

I'm still interested in it, pretty much only for Nintendo's first party stuff (which lets be honest is basically anybody who buys a piece of Nintendo hardware... you know they're not getting it for the third party support), but I didn't pre-order. So I have a feeling that if I get one, it won't be for a long time.

They still haven't get freakin' Nintendo NES Classic Edition consoles on store shelves.
Old January 31st, 2017, 11:26 AM   #17
Viper
Administrator

Viper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: JayCCity
Steam: jaycc

Games Owned: 656
Games Wanted: 65
Send a message via ICQ to Viper Send a message via AIM to Viper Send a message via Yahoo to Viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
Nintendo has had quite a run, but really, they've had more bad consoles than good. I'm surprised they're still around.
They dominate the handheld market, but even that may be threatened by mobile these days.
Old January 31st, 2017, 08:42 PM   #18
erp

erp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura about

PSN: nittynittsters

Games Owned: 180
I didn't own a Wii U, but was it really THAT bad of a console? It sold nearly 14 million units and it seems like 20 million is when a console becomes successful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._game_consoles
Old February 1st, 2017, 08:58 PM   #19
bigloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by erp View Post
I didn't own a Wii U, but was it really THAT bad of a console? It sold nearly 14 million units and it seems like 20 million is when a console becomes successful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._game_consoles
I actually like the console a whole lot.

ZombiU, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Super Mario Maker, the best Mario kart ever, the best Smash Brothers ever, Mario 3D World (amazing coop), Pikmin 3, Xenoblade, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Captain Toad Treasure Tacker, Hyrule Warriors are worth owning a Wii U for.

I think it failed more because the Wii U's marketing was just poor, and a lot of people thought the system was a Wii add-on than a new console. I also don't think The Wii U has ever had a price drop? or if it has Nintendo only did one, kinda crazy for such a poor selling system.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 12:41 PM   #20
Vid Gamer

The Switch already has better marketing and more of a buzz than the Wii U.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 04:31 PM   #21
erp

erp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura about

PSN: nittynittsters

Games Owned: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloser View Post
I think it failed more because the Wii U's marketing was just poor, and a lot of people thought the system was a Wii add-on than a new console. I also don't think The Wii U has ever had a price drop? or if it has Nintendo only did one, kinda crazy for such a poor selling system.
For the 1st year or so of the Wii U's life I didn't know you could play games with a traditional controller. I thought it was a Wii with better graphics. I don't follow video games as much as I used to but I think that says a lot. Nintendo really didn't market it well.

According to Wiki the launch prices were $350 for Deluxe and $300 for Basic. I thought I would pick one up once prices hit $200 but it just never happened. Nintendo doesn't like to discount their products. 3rd party games tend to drop in price after being on the shelves for a year. Nintendo will keep their games priced at $60 for a few years.
Old February 5th, 2017, 12:48 PM   #22
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not much of a video gamer these days, but had the Wii U had a substantial price drop, I probably would have picked one up.

And yes, Nintendo dominated handhelds, but it seems they got kinda hung up on the 3DS. I definitely think mobile is killing Nintendo just as much as their continual lack of 3rd party support for their consoles.
Old February 6th, 2017, 11:39 PM   #23
Rico Suave

Anyone catch the Switch commercial during the Super Bowl?
Old February 10th, 2017, 03:46 PM   #24
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
I pre-ordered one, I will probably re-sell it...we'll see.

I did own a Wii-U and enjoyed it, but sold knowing this was coming eventually...

Kind of annoying how short Nintendo's generations have been lately...

They need to just invest in a big time console and make it last.

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 06:49 PM   #25
Pahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by turningpoint View Post
They need to just invest in a big time console and make it last.
Or just give up and become a software-only company. I bet Mario on the PS4 and Xbone would outsell Mario on the Wii U.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: