ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General ConsoleCity's general discussion forum, post anything and everything here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Indra

Indra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 0
Games Wanted: 0
Settlers of Catan

This is where we will talk about Settlers of Catan. I'm new to it, only played half a dozen games or so, but I'm addicted. What expansion should I be picking up first, and why?

~Bill Hicks
Indra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2010, 01:43 PM   #2
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
Think i played on xbl it was ok.

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Indra

Indra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by turningpoint View Post
Think i played on xbl it was ok.
Doesn't count!

~Bill Hicks
Old December 3rd, 2010, 02:05 PM   #4
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
I've never played with an expansion. But the base set is one of my favorite games of all time.

I've heard that the Seafarers expansion is the best one. I don't have any experience with it myself, obviously.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 06:35 PM   #5
CAPninja

CAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really nice

Live!: King Barf

Settlers is a great gateway game for people getting into the euro gaming hobby.

For an expansion I recommend Cities and Knights.

But I don't think its good to introduce new players to the game using the 5-6 player expansion.

But if you like Settlers I can recommend a lot more games you may be interested in.

Here is most of my gaming collection. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collect...boardgame&ff=1

I've rated and commented on most of them. If you have any questions ask.
CAPninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 07:12 PM   #6
Indra

Red face

woah. this is an entire world that I never knew existed.

Awesome!

~Bill Hicks
Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:22 PM   #7
fgarriel

fgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant future

Games Owned: 133
I've got a copy. We've been playing during lunch at work. We haven't geeked out with expansions or alternate rules. While the regular players have all played before, we all haven't played much or in a while. I was going to go with the Seafarers Pack next, but probably not for a few months.
fgarriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 01:11 AM   #8
CAPninja

CAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really nice

Other great gateway games yo should check out.

Zooloretto -Trying to build the best Zoo. Easy to pick up and I haven't found anyone that doesn't like ithttp://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27588/zooloretto

Bohnanza - If you like the trading aspect of Settlers you will love this game.http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/11/bohnanza

Carcassonne - Tile laying fun. They have an Xbox live version of this but its just not as fun.http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/822/carcassonne

Dominion - Like Magic but fun. And you dont have to keep buying cards.http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36218/dominion

Galaxy Trucker- Build a spaceship the first part of the game. And then completely destroy it the second part.http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...galaxy-trucker

Nexus Ops - If you like the modular board of Settlers you may like this. Except you are in control of bug armys that want to destroy each other.http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15363/nexus-ops

Pandemic -If you like working together with others to prevent a global crisis this is the game for you. Best Co-op out there.http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30549/pandemic

Small World - A world where you can play many different fantasy races in one game. Fighting against each other in a world not big enough for all of them. With lots of expansions out for it (I was actually one of the first people in America to own a copy )http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...92/small-world

Chicago Express - If economics is your thing, this is a great auction share holder game.http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...hicago-express

Ticket to Ride - The ultimate gateway game. Everybody loves it and their are many expansions out for it.http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...ticket-to-ride

Last edited by CAPninja : December 4th, 2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old December 4th, 2010, 02:24 AM   #9
Overkill
Staff Member

Overkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Zadoc

Games Owned: 432
Games Wanted: 81
Send a message via ICQ to Overkill Send a message via AIM to Overkill Send a message via MSN to Overkill Send a message via Yahoo to Overkill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indra View Post
This is where we will talk about Settlers of Catan. I'm new to it, only played half a dozen games or so, but I'm addicted. What expansion should I be picking up first, and why?
This one, because I said so. Really though, it brings a lot more strategy into it. I couldn't imagine playing without it.
Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #10
bitWise

bitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud of

I've played the base version of the game and found it somewhat boring. It just chugs along until, inevitably, one player has enough momentum to win.

In a four player game there always seemed to be two players with a chance of winning, and two players mired in resource poverty. And even those lagging could put together a handful of victory points and be in the running at the early stages.

The strategy is simplistic and with no way to really interfere with your opponents' strategy and game plan, there's not much to it.

Perhaps I'm missing its charm?
Old December 6th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #11
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitWise View Post
I've played the base version of the game and found it somewhat boring. It just chugs along until, inevitably, one player has enough momentum to win.

In a four player game there always seemed to be two players with a chance of winning, and two players mired in resource poverty. And even those lagging could put together a handful of victory points and be in the running at the early stages.

The strategy is simplistic and with no way to really interfere with your opponents' strategy and game plan, there's not much to it.

Perhaps I'm missing its charm?
Chugs? I've found Catan to be a pretty quick game. And the people with resource poverty need to be trading more. There are 3 other people that would almost certainly be glad to trade with whoever is in last place.

I don't agree that you can't interfere with your opponents. You build roads where they want to, or build right up to their doorstep to trap them. You snag the ports they want. The strategy isn't necessarily very complex, but it's there.

You might try Puerto Rico. I haven't figured out a good strategy yet. My wife focuses on money and building, and she always beats me, but oddly enough it's usually the newcomer that wins our games. Maybe I just need to renew my emphasis on crop diversity and shipping.

I'd like to have a chat with cap about Puerto Rico sometime. We can discuss strategy.
Old December 6th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #12
CAPninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
IYou might try Puerto Rico. I haven't figured out a good strategy yet. My wife focuses on money and building, and she always beats me, but oddly enough it's usually the newcomer that wins our games. Maybe I just need to renew my emphasis on crop diversity and shipping.
Normally a good strategy for Puerto Rico is to sit to the left of a new player. :P

I'm a little bit tired of PR myself. I am really really really enjoying Agricola right now and if you like PR you will love it also. You can also play it solitaire.
Old December 6th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #13
Pahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPninja View Post
Normally a good strategy for Puerto Rico is to sit to the left of a new player. :P

I'm a little bit tired of PR myself. I am really really really enjoying Agricola right now and if you like PR you will love it also. You can also play it solitaire.
PR doesn't seem to have the magic that Catan does, for me.

Maybe Agricola is what I need.
Old December 6th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #14
CAPninja

I remember in another thread you wanted to try Power Grid? How did that go?

I own it and love it but my friends can't stand it so it will most likely never get played again.
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:43 AM   #15
Pahn

Quote:
I remember in another thread you wanted to try Power Grid? How did that go?

I own it and love it but my friends can't stand it so it will most likely never get played again.
Haven't gotten anybody else to play it yet. People say it sounds boring. We're planning a game day in the next few weeks, so hopefully it'll get played then.
Old December 10th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #16
Indra

Picked up Seafarers last night, played it for 4 consecutive hours. Love it. It's a good first expansion because it doesn't alter the game much (very few new rules, etc) but it adds a good deal of variety. It's like Catan 1.1. I'll be picking up C&K eventually, but from what I've seen, that really changes the game completely, and makes it quite a bit more complex, so I think I can wait a bit. Playing all the scenarios outlined in the Seafarers almanac is an absoloute blast.

I've done a bit of research, and i think I'll be picking up the following games in the coming months, since they interest me the most:

Puerto Rico (general consensus among those "in the know" is that it's among the very best)

Ticket to Ride or Zooloretto (apparently very accessible, casual/female friendly)

Agricola (for hardcore nights)

Arkham Horror (I'm a Lovecraft fanatic)

Twilight Struggle (for 2 player)

I'd say that's a pretty nice start. What do you think, Cap?

~Bill Hicks
Old December 11th, 2010, 03:46 AM   #17
Pahn

Quote:
Puerto Rico (general consensus among those "in the know" is that it's among the very best)
I've been somewhat disappointed with PR. Setup is a chore, and the game seems to devolve to "who can get the most money" whenever we play. YMMV, of course.
Old December 11th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #18
CAPninja

Quote:

Ticket to Ride or Zooloretto (apparently very accessible, casual/female friendly)

Agricola (for hardcore nights)

Arkham Horror (I'm a Lovecraft fanatic)

Twilight Struggle (for 2 player)

I'd say that's a pretty nice start. What do you think, Cap?
Looks great!

There is a ton of expansions for Zooloretto. It can even be mixed with another stand alone game called Aquaretto.

I personally love Arkham Horror. I'm not sure what your gaming group is like but its definately not for everybody. And even though I love it, it rarely hits the table due to the fact that it can take up to 4 hrs to play. But on the plus side, it can be played solo.

Twilight Struggle is one of the greatest games ever made. And I love everything cold war related. GMT is a great game company also.

Ticket to Ride is very very simple game but I have yet to find someone that doesn't like it. Even people that normally hate board games.
Old December 20th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #19
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 267
Send a message via AIM to mountpanic Send a message via Yahoo to mountpanic
I was WAY too baked when someone tried to explain Settlers to me. The third time they said "except when..." I had to leave the room and get some air.

I love Caracassone, and have enjoyed many rounds of Dominion and Puerto Rico as well.

There is no one you couldn't love once you've heard their story.
Mary Lou Kownacki (via Fred Rogers)

Enjoy the CC Free Games Archive
mountpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #20
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
Quote:
Other great gateway games yo should check out.

Zooloretto -Trying to build the best Zoo. Easy to pick up and I haven't found anyone that doesn't like ithttp://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27588/zooloretto

Bohnanza - If you like the trading aspect of Settlers you will love this game.http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/11/bohnanza

Carcassonne - Tile laying fun. They have an Xbox live version of this but its just not as fun.http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/822/carcassonne

Dominion - Like Magic but fun. And you dont have to keep buying cards.http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36218/dominion

Galaxy Trucker- Build a spaceship the first part of the game. And then completely destroy it the second part.http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...galaxy-trucker

Nexus Ops - If you like the modular board of Settlers you may like this. Except you are in control of bug armys that want to destroy each other.http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15363/nexus-ops

Pandemic -If you like working together with others to prevent a global crisis this is the game for you. Best Co-op out there.http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30549/pandemic

Small World - A world where you can play many different fantasy races in one game. Fighting against each other in a world not big enough for all of them. With lots of expansions out for it (I was actually one of the first people in America to own a copy )http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...92/small-world

Chicago Express - If economics is your thing, this is a great auction share holder game.http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...hicago-express

Ticket to Ride - The ultimate gateway game. Everybody loves it and their are many expansions out for it.http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...ticket-to-ride
Any free online versions, websites?

Like landgrab.net ?

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #21
CAPninja

Bohnanza, Settlers of Catan, Puerto Rico, Dominion (and all its expansions), Carcassonne, Pandemic, And for Pahn Power Grid, Can all be played at http://www.brettspielwelt.de/ It is assumed that you own a copy and know the rules.

Ticket to Ride can be played here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/onlinegames

There are Ipod aps for both Zooloretto An Chicago Express. The AI is horrble for Chicago Express.

Keep in mind all these games are meant to be played in real life face to face with your opponent. But if I was to choose out of these games, Dominion is the best to play online.
Old December 20th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #22
Pahn

Dominion is a LOT of fun. I need to play it more often.
Old December 20th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #23
CAPninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
Dominion is a LOT of fun. I need to play it more often.
Yes it is and every expansion gets better. I know theres over 3 million combinations of starting cards in just the original game alone.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 12:29 AM   #24
packrat68

packrat68 will become famous soon enoughpackrat68 will become famous soon enoughpackrat68 will become famous soon enoughpackrat68 will become famous soon enoughpackrat68 will become famous soon enoughpackrat68 will become famous soon enough

Games Owned: 139
Send a message via ICQ to packrat68
Ironically I have many of these games including Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Galaxy Trucker, Dominion, Last night on Earth, LeHarve, Smallworld and a few more I am forgetting, but I don’t have Settlers of Catan.

A couple of months ago I got an itch to try some of these games because my friends and I really needed something to focus on other than watching a few movies and falling asleep on the couch.

We started out with Smallworld and Ticket to Ride and the hunger to try more has taken over my group of friends! I was impressed with the interaction and the depth of most of the games but I was really taken aback by my friend’s willingness to learn them more than anything else. I figured I would bring one out and immediately be called a huge nerd, but I was really surprised how much ALL of them like to play now.

I must say that lately all my friends want to play is Battlestar Galactica. If you have 4-6 friends that will play it with you, BSG is freaking awesome. It’s probably the best experience that I have had so far with Designer board games, Co-op with touch of treachery and a great theme. Check it out if you get the chance!
Rule #1

The Computer ALWAYS Cheats
packrat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 12:42 AM   #25
CAPninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat68 View Post
I must say that lately all my friends want to play is Battlestar Galactica. If you have 4-6 friends that will play it with you, BSG is freaking awesome. It’s probably the best experience that I have had so far with Designer board games, Co-op with touch of treachery and a great theme. Check it out if you get the chance!
Oh man you have NO idea how much my group loves BSG!!!! I wouldn't play with less than 5 myself. Complete paranoia. And I just love saying frakkin all the time.

I'm kinda pissed I've never been a cylon though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: