ConsoleCity Forums   GameStop, Inc.

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General ConsoleCity's general discussion forum, post anything and everything here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #1
Indra

Indra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud ofIndra has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 0
Games Wanted: 0
This weekend, I'm going to my first ever AA meeting. AmA.

I thought this would be a great opportunity for everyone here to watch the machine in motion. There was an odd "all up in your business" thread that kind of turned into an OFG hack job as far as I'm concerned.

any who, would any of you guys be interested in asking questions about this weird shit? I'm pretty fucking nervous about the "religious" tones, myself.

~Bill Hicks
Indra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2012, 01:07 AM   #2
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
Are you an alcoholic, or a tourist?

This is a serious question, BTW. I don't mean to offend if you're going for treatment (for yourself). It's just that I've done the Fight Club'esque tourist thing years ago with someone I knew who was an actual alcoholic.

Something I've learned since is that not all AA chapters are very 'religious'. The one I visited in New Orleans was basically like church (seriously), and I figured most were that way, but I'm told others aren't really like that at all.
Old October 13th, 2012, 07:48 AM   #3
Intruderb

Intruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 420
Games Wanted: 30
I've been to a few meetings with my girl, from the ones that I went to they pushed more of the "higher power" terminology than God. Basically, you could say that a chair is the higher power if thats what works for you. The meetings were in the basement of a church and I was expecting it to be an infomercial on how god can save your soul, but i was wrong; Religion barely came up.

I've learned quite a bit about alcoholism since the old "all up in your business" days, I thought I was a borderline for years but just realised I was a binge drinker; My fiancee on the other hand could not stop, physically and mentally COULD NOT stop drinking. She polished between a 5th and half gallon of Kassers Vodka everyday without fail. She is celebrating her 1 year clean anniversary on Oct. 27th

Just ftr, if you can find your way to an NA meeting the girls are much hotter....

Good Luck Bro
... first, your dick is going to TOUCH hairy man ass, second your dick is going to PENETRATE hairy man ass, and lastly you're going to have to FUCK hairy man ass until you nut. What if he starts fucking you back? What if the dude starts groaning? Hairy man ass groaning?
Intruderb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 08:00 AM   #4
fgarriel

fgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant future

Games Owned: 133
Was there a specific event that made you realize that you were no longer in control?

Why can't you just stop? I used to go out multiple times a week and drink enough to qualify as having a problem (4-8 hours of constant social drinking). I never thought of it as a problem as I was functioning just fine. I moved away from that social group and haven't really drunk often since then. When I have, there have been multiple occassions where I drank and the consequences were severe (gambling beyond my means, fighting with family, etc.) It didn't take long for me to associate that alcohol greatly exacerbated those problems. Nowadays I'm very careful about when, where, and with whom I'll have more than a couple beers. But never did I feel that I couldn't stop. I can easily have one beer and not feel like I need to have another. I've got a fridge full of beer right now and I haven't drunk one in ages. It's not calling my name the way junk food might when I'm hungry. It's just there. Is it different for you? Are you compelled to drink?
fgarriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #5
erp

erp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura about

PSN: nittynittsters

Games Owned: 188
I think many people underestimate alcoholism. Somebody who becomes physically dependent on alcohol could die if they just quit cold turkey.
Old October 13th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intruderb View Post
Basically, you could say that a chair is the higher power
Obama came to your AA meetings!?
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #7
Overkill
Staff Member

Overkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Zadoc

Games Owned: 432
Games Wanted: 81
Send a message via ICQ to Overkill Send a message via AIM to Overkill Send a message via MSN to Overkill Send a message via Yahoo to Overkill
AA is the biggest cult going these days that's not recognized as a religion. There is literally zero evidence that they do anything at all to help people recover from addiction. They're completely anti-science to prevent people from getting real help. Their cannon does in fact state that only God can help you. They attempt to alienate their members from their families and replace them.

Just read: http://www.silkworth.net/sociology/Soc63OCR.pdf

In fact, every addict I know who got clean did it without AA, and every addict in know who went the AA route is still an addict.

Indra, bro, my advice is to GO TO A PSYCHOLOGIST. Get treatment. The "Big Book" is a big book of fucking faith healing total bullshit written by a damn televangelist.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/russel...b_1340000.html

AA, in many cases, has a less than zero success rate, meaning that it actually keeps people addicted.

Oh, and read this too: http://www.orange-papers.org

Last edited by Overkill : October 13th, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #8
Old Fart Gamer

Old Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: Big_Daddy_OFG

Games Owned: 18
Quote:
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their
experience, strength, and hope with each other that they may solve their
common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only
requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no
dues for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own
contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics,
organizations or institutions; does not wish to engage in controversy;
neither endorses or opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay
sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.
My name is Ryan and I am an alcoholic. My sobriety date is 5/31/1992.

~Moon Tears

"Live and let live."

Logan Douglas Hannan
1/1/2006 - 3/10/2006
Rest in peace, little man.
Old Fart Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #9
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
I went to an AA meeting once. Didn't seem very cult-y to me.
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #10
Shaolin

Shaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 92
Send a message via ICQ to Shaolin Send a message via Yahoo to Shaolin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
I went to an AA meeting once. Didn't seem very cult-y to me.
I went to my friends NA meeting when she got her 1year chip. People shared stories, supported each other, then we ate cake. Somehow I left unindoctrinated. My friend is still sober, 2 years strong.

Shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #11
Old Fart Gamer

Old Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: Big_Daddy_OFG

Games Owned: 18
Keep coming back, Daydreamer.

PM me if I can help you in any way or answer any questions.

~Moon Tears

"Live and let live."

Logan Douglas Hannan
1/1/2006 - 3/10/2006
Rest in peace, little man.
Old Fart Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: