ConsoleCity Forums   GameStop, Inc.

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gadgets & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 4th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #1
notsofun28

notsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant future

Games Owned: 0
Games Wanted: 0
Google Search app for iOS

Hey guys, here's my review of the recently released/update Google Search app for iOS.

You guys should check out the new google search app released recently for iOS.  The thing that steals the show is the voice recognition interface.

This is amazing, and feels almost like science fiction (sometimes).  You activate a voice search within the app, and just speak very naturally and easily, and it is FAST.  I mean WOW. It actually types the words out in front of you while you speak, and results show up even faster thanks to google instant search.  All the while it makes pleasant sounds acknowledging its comprehension. Plus it has some smart "cards" like when you simply ask "What's the weather going to be tomorrow" or "Do I need an umbrella tomorrow?" or "What movies are playing?", which instantly respond with a voice much more pleasant and creepily human sounding than Siri.  If it doesn't have a card/smart response it throws you to a nicely presented google search result listing, and allows you to open results in slide over tabs that can easily be dismissed quickly taking you back to results.  It's a really fantastic user experience.

Obviously this would be a stronger application with full integration into messages, emails, contacts, and other phone resources.  And I believe that's what Google Now essentially is on the most advanced Android devices.  But that also starts to set off my "google creepy" radar at times because google will know so much about you and what you do and where you are and doing.  Imagine a future when you ask your phone "What's Michael up to?" and it spits out a voice detailing his recent facebook posts with contextual awareness... --- "Since you last spoke to Michael, he went rocking climbing [link to facebook status] on Saturday before he went to a halloween party at Nikki's house [link to photos taken at party that Mike has been tagged in].  He's currently at home watching Netflix.  Do you want to send him a message?"

This is amazing, but can become unsettling.  Especially if google ever does go full evil, it could influence every piece of information you get and tweak it towards it's own agenda.  (tin foil hat conspiracy).

But for now, this really does feel like the future (especially on a tablet), and the privacy concerns don't feel as dire as they could be.  In fact, Eric Schmidt was quoted as saying "Google policy is to get right up to the creepy line and not cross it." 

Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Old November 4th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Games Wanted: 0
I don't use iOS, but my phone is supposed to update to 4.1.x w/Google Now sometime this month. When that happens, I'll give it a try and report back.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: