ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gadgets & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 4th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #1
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Android Tablet pricing

So Engadget ran an editorial about how the extremely low pricing of the Kindle Fire and Nexus series tablets could potentially force out competition at the low end of the pricing spectrum.

While it's a somewhat valid point, I'd like to point out that Apple hasn't exactly wowed anybody with innovation in the past year or so. So if there is a relative dearth of competitors at entry level Android prices, a dearth is still better than a monopoly.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #2
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
I fail to see what competition it would force out? Prior to the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7, comparable tablets were $500+ and there was nothing in the sub-$250 bracket except for Chinese knockoffs.

Right now at the entry-level pricing, we have devices from Amazon, B&N, and Google directly. It's even forced Apple to do something that Steve Jobs swore he'd never do.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Also, it's not like the Nexus devices are the definitive tablets.

The build quality necessarily takes a hit, and the screens apparently aren't all that. My next tablet purchase will almost certainly be a Galaxy Tab 7.7 or maybe the Galaxy Tab Plus.
Old November 4th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
Also, it's not like the Nexus devices are the definitive tablets.

The build quality necessarily takes a hit, and the screens apparently aren't all that. My next tablet purchase will almost certainly be a Galaxy Tab 7.7 or maybe the Galaxy Tab Plus.
I was impressed with the build quality of the Nexus 7 by Asus. It felt pretty good. The Nexus 10 supposedly has higher quality materials than Samsung's Galaxy Tab/Note tablets, but that's not surprising. My wife owns a Note 10.1 and it feels like crap. The Nexus 10 screen is the highest resolution and ppi available in a tablet, though not sure on the quality beyond that.

My next "tablet" will probably be something more like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-ATIV-S...g+smart+pc+pro

I don't care for current tablets using iOS or Android because they are simply larger phones with the same basic capabilities. I want a full-featured OS that can double as my laptop.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: