ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gadgets & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 29th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #1
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Games Wanted: 0
Google announces Android 4.2, Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10

Google has unleashed their new hardware for the season. The Nexus 4 (LG), and Nexus 10 (Samsung) are new, while the Nexus 7 (ASUS) has been updated.

https://play.google.com/store/device...orpus_selector

Nexus 4: available 11/13
- 8GB for $299
- 16GB for $349

Nexus 7: available now (3G model out of stock)
- 16GB $199
- 32GB $249
- 32GB + HSPA+ for $299

Nexus 10: available 11/13
- 16 GB for $399
- 32GB for $499

Highlights for the Nexus 4 are; Android 4.2, 1280x768 display, Snapdragon S4 Pro SOC, 2GB of RAM, and then many other features that we're used to or already expected.

The Nexus 7 simply had the 16GB shift down to replace the 8GB version, a new 32GB fill the 16GB price point, and then a 3G model for another $50.

The Nexus 10 introduces two things. First, it's running at an insane 2560x1600 resolution, courtesy of the Mali-T604 within the Exynos 5 SOC. Secondly, and this has caused quite a stir, but the old Honeycomb UI is gone. The home screen now functions exactly like a giant Android phone, just like the Nexus 7. I've heard arguments both for and against this change, but the bottom line is that the UI is now exactly the same on both tablets and phones for Android. Apple couldn't resist chiming in and claiming that the new Nexus tablets are like "big Android phones." Really? What the hell is an iPad!?

Android 4.2:
http://www.android.com/whatsnew/

Last edited by Exodus : October 29th, 2012 at 08:15 PM.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #2
notsofun28

notsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant future

Games Owned: 0
I've been considering picking up a Nexus 7. Since I already have an iPad 3rd gen, I have no desire for an iPad mini. Plus I am growing more and more interested in Google's software innovations these days so it seems like it could be a fun device to get a taste (and read some books while I'm at it).

Any owners have any insights/recommendation?
Old November 4th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #3
notsofun28

notsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant future

Double post

Last edited by notsofun28 : November 4th, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
notsofun28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #4
notsofun28

For some reason the board isn't recognizing my reply... It shows up though... Bump
Old November 4th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsofun28 View Post
I've been considering picking up a Nexus 7. Since I already have an iPad 3rd gen, I have no desire for an iPad mini. Plus I am growing more and more interested in Google's software innovations these days so it seems like it could be a fun device to get a taste (and read some books while I'm at it).

Any owners have any insights/recommendation?
If you want a cheap tablet of any kind, the Nexus 7 is the best. It really is a high quality tablet and the price is to die for. It's far better than the Amazon/B&N tablets unless you want a locked down device that makes Apple look open.

However, if you want to go higher budget, there are some other alternatives worth considering. The Galaxy Note 10.1 offers a unique pressure sensitive stylus (Wacom digitizer) and better multi-tasking than a Nexus device. The 4.1 update slated for this month will greatly enhance that multi-tasking. The Nexus 10 offers an ungodly 2560x1600 display, and like the Nexus 7, will run stock Android and always be up to date. Finally, the Asus Transformers series has the best construction and combo keyboard docks, making them laptops in their own right.

Personally, I'm not a tablet fan. As I said in another thread, I feel that today's tablets are just oversized phones with the same core functionality. However, the Windows 8 Pro hybrid devices have my interest piqued. For example, Samsung's ATIV PC PRO:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-ATIV-S...ng+ativ+pc+pro

Core i5 (dual-core) CPU, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Intel HD 4000 graphics (good enough for WoW), 11.6" 1080p display. Hopefully a Haswell-based i5/i7-quad-core with 6-8GB of RAM becomes available this summer.
Old November 4th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #6
notsofun28

The microsoft surface pro looks like a pretty awesome option for what you're talking about. I really love the form factor and touch cover. I am a little worried though about always needing a table to use the keyboard.
Old November 4th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #7
Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsofun28 View Post
The microsoft surface pro looks like a pretty awesome option for what you're talking about. I really love the form factor and touch cover. I am a little worried though about always needing a table to use the keyboard.
Yup, my wife prefers that kind of keyboard cover and is looking for one for her Note 10.1 I prefer the separate laptop keyboard dock, with Asus (Transformer, Vivo Tab) being the preferred method. In addition to a keyboard, they house an additional battery. Samsung doesn't seem to be doing that with their ATIV series, but the best Asus VIVO has an Intel Atom instead of a Core-i series.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: