ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gadgets & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 10th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #1
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Games Wanted: 0
Quite possibly the best family plan I've seen

What you need:
-bring your own device, must be GSM/UMTS, and must support T-Mobile/AT&T frequencies (3G/4G not supported in all areas but expanding fast).
-Order your sim cards from T-Mobile from the below website (hidden from their front page, had to do a search to find it)

http://explore.t-mobile.com/phone-sim-card

A two line plan, 1000 minutes (unlimited nights/weekends/m2m), unlimited text, and unlimited data starts at $69.98/month. However, the data, while unlimited, gets throttled. Here's the plans w/data included (all of them ate 1k minutes, unlimited text)

$69.98 - throttled at 200mb (per line, as are all below)
$79.98 - throttled at 2GB
$99.98 - no throttling, truly unlimited
$109.98 - same as above + 5GB tethering per line
$169.98 - same as above but 10GB tethering per line

I've got a steal of a plan right now from AT&T and pay $125.20/month. Since taxes/discount are a wash, that's a $25/mo savings if I went with the truly unlimited plan ($600 every 2 years). This about equates to my wife's bi-annual iPhone upgrade, so it's not worth it for me to switch yet. But, given our data usage, I could easily use the $70 or $80 plan for more savings. Also, AT&T at some point will find and end my current data scam, which would rate jack me $20/mo and end my unlimited. When that happens, I'm jumping ship to one of these plans.

I truly think that $70 plan is a steal for a couple that are light smartphone users.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Baron3ss

Baron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished road

Games Owned: 0
Hmmm I pay $81 after taxes/fees for 3GB data and unlimited texting on AT&T.
Baron3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron3ss View Post
Hmmm I pay $81 after taxes/fees for 3GB data and unlimited texting on AT&T.
How many lines? The prices I quoted were for a 2 line family plan. The link I provided lets youpick how many lines and which features. For a solo plan, looks like $49.99 might do it for you. Add $10 if you want truly unlimited data.
Old October 11th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #4
Exodus

Correction on my part. The 200mb plan has overages. The 2gb plan is throttled. The unlimited plan is neither.
Old October 12th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #5
Baron3ss

Baron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished road

Games Owned: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
How many lines? The prices I quoted were for a 2 line family plan. The link I provided lets youpick how many lines and which features. For a solo plan, looks like $49.99 might do it for you. Add $10 if you want truly unlimited data.
Just one line. Seems like a deal, but I dunno what I'm going to do with my contract. I just removed my ex-wife's line and of course that put me into a new contract with no upgrade eligibility.

I think at the end of the year I'm just going to buy out the contract and then switch carriers.
Baron3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #6
Exodus

Still a good deal, but looking like less of one to me at the moment. Here's why:

Current plan (AT&T): 550 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data on both lines, wife's is throttled at 3GB, mine is not throttled - $125.20 after discount and taxes applied

T-Mo: 1000 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data (no throttling), $99.98 before taxes/discount (which largely cancel each other out)

So, by switching, I'd save about $25/mo, or $300/year. However, here's the downside. While I buy unlocked phones, my wife goes with the iPhone. To buy it unlocked would cost $750 for the 32GB model she likes to go with, versus $200 on contract. So, we'd save $550 staying on AT&T, which nearly negates the $600 over 2 years saved on T-Mobile. But here's the kicker - for these plans where you BRING YOUR OWN PHONE, they want a $200/line cancellation fee! An ETF without a subsidized phone!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon Russ
GTFOOHWTBS!!!
Of course, the plan gets better under two conditions. If I go wit the "throttle after 2GB" option, that's another $20/month in savings. If AT&T rate jacks me, that's yet another $20/mo AND I lose my unlimited. So now we're talking $45-$65/month in gap, or $540-$780/year, which equates to an annual iPhone upgrade for her and still coming out slightly ahead.

I'd probably try the 2GB throttling plan and if I didn't like it, then up the ante. In the 12+ months I had my Incredible on Verizon, I only went over 2GB 2 or 3 times. In the 12+ months I've had my SGS2 on AT&T so far, this is only the 2nd month I've gone over 2GB, and in every case, it's because I was traveling and using my laptop of my phone's tethering as my primary internet, to include Hulu/Netflix.

Last edited by Exodus : October 13th, 2012 at 12:17 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: