ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gadgets & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 5th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #1
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
I'm not sure we need a Mobile forum...

because I just posted two mobile topics in General, and the world didn't end.
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
because I just posted two mobile topics in General, and the world didn't end.
Nah we need this. Just wait.

I would just prefer it to be a sausagefest.
Z_E_R_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Arod1983

Arod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant future

Games Owned: 22
This forum gets more action than 'buying and selling' but I believe both have their purpose. I wouldn't add anymore though.
Arod1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #4
DG

DG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 28
I doubt we need it also.

Because cell phone gaming sucks.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I doubt we need it also.

Because cell phone gaming sucks.
I've found cell phone gaming to be an excellent supplement to console gaming. I like it more than actual handhelds. As I've mentioned before, the Xperia Play (with a decent MicroSD card) is probably the best gaming phone. You can install emulators for any classic system that you can think of, as well as play some modern games that actually beat the Dreamcast/PS2/GameCube/Xbox in terms of graphics.

The iPhone has a better range of games but Android is picking up pretty quickly.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #6
DG

DG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond repute

I can't get past the "no controls" aspect of phone gaming.

No way can a sheet of glass replace a physical controller. I've tried dozens, (literally), of iPhone games that try to simulate physical controls and they ALL suck. I even bought a few, (like R-Type), but they're just impossible to play. I thought about emulators on the Android when I had one, but they'd be stuck using glass for a controller also, so it would be miserable actually playing them.

The few games on the iPhone that are passable either have controls designed FOR the iPhone, or are so simple you can get by with simulated controls.

Cut the Rope is perfect for the iPhone. A really clever use of the touch screen.

Dragon's Lair works because you're just tapping a "joystick" in one direction.

I get people who know better, (gamers), trying to sell me on the iPhone vs the 3DS with lines like, "but I could get 20 iPhone games for the price of ONE 3DS game!"

So what?

I can go out and eat my yard for free and probably survive for a while on just that, but I'd rather shell out more money and eat some decent food.

Are there any other good games like Cut the Rope on the iPhone I'm missing?

Oh, I forgot Mirror's Edge. It's a pretty clever use of touch screen controls and worth a purchase.

*** Sorry to be a bit bitchy about this, but this issue pisses me off. I've read all the doom and gloom reports about how mobile gaming is going to destroy handheld consoles and I'm not happy about it at all. The idea of gaming DEGRADING with "better" technology is distressing. Now that I've vented about it, I'm done though, so back to your mobile gaming.

Last edited by DG : October 14th, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old October 14th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Quote:
I can't get past the "no controls" aspect of phone gaming.
I don't understand why people can't grasp this. I keep saying "Xperia Play" and people keep saying "No physical controls." It's like I'm taking crazy pills or something!

Not picking on you DG, you weren't here for the previous discussions on the subject, so I'll post a picture of the phone so you can see what I mean.

Click me!

The thing in the center is a dual-analog touch strip to go with the PS-style physical controls.
Old October 14th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #8
DG

Ah!

That's more like it! Controls! It's a shame iPhones and Androids have button-phobia.

Too bad the only phones I can get through work are iPhones or Androids.

If I didn't have to carry a smartphone 24/7 as a job requirement, I'd have the cheapest pre-paid phone you can get. The monthly cost of owning a phone like the Xperia would be one reason to stick with the 3DS. But if you're willing to pay for a smartphone, you might as well get one with controls if you're a gamer.

(So many edits! It's been a long day...)
Old October 14th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #9
Exodus

Quote:
Ah!

That's more like it! Controls! It's a shame iPhones and Androids have button-phobia.
The Xperia Play is an Android phone

Quote:
Too bad the only phones I can get through work are iPhones or Androids.
Then see if they offer the Xperia Play. It's available on Verizon and AT&T subsidized.

Quote:
The monthly cost of owning a phone like the Xperia would be one reason to stick with the 3DS. But if you're willing to pay for a smartphone, you might as well get one with controls if you're a gamer.
Then you have options.

First, buy an international Xperia Play unlocked - $186.99

Next, get on a T-Mobile BYOD (bring your own device) plan. Since you'll be limited to edge speeds anyway, you don't need the non-throttling plan. That's $49.99/mo for 500 minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited data.

But, you have options. Suppose that you want a standard slate-style smartphone with no keyboard/controls. You can either get an accessory like THIS, or you can just sync a bluetooth compatible gamepad (like the PS3 gamepad). The last one doesn't work on all phones but has a high success rate on unlocked devices.
Old October 15th, 2012, 01:03 AM   #10
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
I have an Xperia Play, and it's the best gaming investment I've made in a long time. I'm actually playing my PSOne backlog!

My screen is flaky, but it shouldn't matter much once T-Mo refarms their spectrum, since I'll be picking up an AT&T "4G" one.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: