ConsoleCity Forums   GameStop, Inc.

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gadgets & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 25th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #1
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 0
Games Wanted: 0
So I got the Black Friday Gs3 deal........

....holy shit this thing is awesome. Cannot put it down. Best fiddy bucks I can remember spending. BUT...I am a Linux user and can't get down. Using openSuse, can't even transfer over files. The root tutorials are not working...fortunately, tho, the thing is still completely 100% incredible. The stock sound quality on this thing streaming from Play is just great. Thing is loud.

I would just prefer it to be a sausagefest.
Z_E_R_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #2
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_E_R_O View Post
....holy shit this thing is awesome. Cannot put it down. Best fiddy bucks I can remember spending. BUT...I am a Linux user and can't get down. Using openSuse, can't even transfer over files. The root tutorials are not working...fortunately, tho, the thing is still completely 100% incredible. The stock sound quality on this thing streaming from Play is just great. Thing is loud.
So apparently the SGS3 is formatted differently than the SGS2, and as such, cannot be used as a mass storage device. It only supports MTP. So, here's the workaround. You'll need a wireless network at home, and your desktop set to share files.

-Install ES File Manager
-Open the app, and tap the top left where it says "local." Select "LAN."
-From here, select the "new" button, and then "scan."
-Once it detects the devices on your network, select the device that you want to import files from.
-From your SGS3, you can now navigate any shared folders from your desktop, and copy them over to the phone and/or MicroSD to your heart's content.

Last edited by Exodus : November 25th, 2012 at 01:51 AM.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
So apparently the SGS3 is formatted differently than the SGS2, and as such, cannot be used as a mass storage device. It only supports MTP. So, here's the workaround. You'll need a wireless network at home, and your desktop set to share files.

-Install ES File Manager
-Open the app, and tap the top left where it says "local." Select "LAN."
-From here, select the "new" button, and then "scan."
-Once it detects the devices on your network, select the device that you want to import files from.
-From your SGS3, you can now navigate any shared folders from your desktop, and copy them over to the phone and/or MicroSD to your heart's content.
Yes, one of the few workarounds. But I do not have Wi-Fi at home. There is a tough one for USB that uses a pretty harsh set of commands, I am not up for it, yet. Uses mtfs, I think. My Linux skills are waaay off. But apparantly the sG3 has the same problems with the microSD card. I knew about the internal but I was like fuck it, I'll just use the card, LOL.
I find it to be a major inconvenience, but nothing to stop me from a purchase. So maybe someone thinking about a purchase can be aware, too. But it looks like a two second job in Windows.

Old November 29th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #4
SmAsHeD IxNaY

SmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 78
Send a message via AIM to SmAsHeD IxNaY Send a message via MSN to SmAsHeD IxNaY Send a message via Yahoo to SmAsHeD IxNaY
I got my wife the Note 2 about a month ago. That thing is awesome. She was going to get the S3, but the Note 2 is like an S3, but on steroids, IMO. I was going to be up in the air about getting an S3 next month, but I'm going to get a Note 2 instead since I won't be able to get a deal like that.
Old November 30th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #5
Z_E_R_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmAsHeD IxNaY View Post
I got my wife the Note 2 about a month ago. That thing is awesome. She was going to get the S3, but the Note 2 is like an S3, but on steroids, IMO. I was going to be up in the air about getting an S3 next month, but I'm going to get a Note 2 instead since I won't be able to get a deal like that.
I don't know. If it were me one Note2 in them house would be enough. SG3 with Jellybean is bad ass. Would have to have one of each. I think the deal will be back around.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: