ConsoleCity Forums   GameStop, Inc.

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gadgets & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 8th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #1
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Games Wanted: 0
T-Mobile refarming their spectrum.

One of the problems that T-Mobile has always had was incompatibility with most of the world's 3G/fake 4G handsets due to using 1700/2100 instead of 1900. Well, they are RAPIDLY refarming their 1700 band to 1900. Not just up here in Seattle, but in many areas you can now get 3G/fake 4G on an iPhone or other AT&T compatible handset. They even unlock phones in their stores now.

This is a big issue for me because I love using unlocked handsets (my current phone is a UK non-carrier handset). They don't have carrier bloat which leads to smoother operation, better battery life, and better stability. Also, if you get data from a carrier, they can't stop you from using bluetooth/usb/wifi tethering.

Also, their reverse merger with MetroPCS is brilliant. While some would ask, "Why?" due to their GSM/CDMA difference, it's the spectrum. Early guesses, assuming the merger goes through, is that T-Mo will use Metro's spectrum for their LTE buildout and also to get some real service in the northeast.

Hopefully they can do this right and shirk their recent history of stupid decisions. With T-Mobile doing this, and with more competitive nationwide MVNOs like Straith Talk and Simple Mobile out there, there's finally more than just a sliver of us going to a more Euro-style mobile market where the phone is yours and you just swap the sim to swap the carrier.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
I hope this happens where I'm at. I want in on that T-Mo/Wal-Mart prepaid deal.
Old October 9th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
I hope this happens where I'm at. I want in on that T-Mo/Wal-Mart prepaid deal.
Here's a website monitoring their progress. T-Mobile claimed that ALL of their areas will be refarmed to 1900, it's just a matter of when, not if.

http://www.airportal.de/

As for the Wal-Mart deal, are you talking about Straight Talk? From what I remember, you get your choice of AT&T or T-Mobile compatible sim card, but same price and terms.

My plan is to use straight Talk as soon as my AT&T contract goes truly month to month (we're on contract now due to my wife's iPhone 4s upgrade last year).
Old October 9th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
As for the Wal-Mart deal, are you talking about Straight Talk? From what I remember, you get your choice of AT&T or T-Mobile compatible sim card, but same price and terms.
Naw, it's this other thing that's just T-Mo, and it's only available in Wal-Mart stores or online. 100 minutes, unlimited text and data (5 GB full speed) for $30/mo.

Once that happens, I'll sell my Verizon Xperia Play to buy an AT&T Xperia Play 4G.
Old October 10th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #5
Exodus

That plan would be great if Google Voice could do native voice over data (it requires setting up other apps with limitations) and MMS. So, if you need more than 100 minutes, you need Google Voice + another app in order to handle voice, and then the main number for sms/mms, which means you're giving people two numbers.

But if you need no more than 100 minutes, it's a steal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: