ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General ConsoleCity's general discussion forum, post anything and everything here.

Old September 30th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 95
Games Wanted: 0
Get ready for shut-down

No, I'm not talking about this forum!

Quote:
(CNN) -- Let's start with the obvious question: Will the government shut down this week? Most likely.

Republicans and Democrats can agree on that. It's everything else that has them bickering and blaming. And unless they strike a deal on a spending bill Monday, the government will begin closing shop at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday.

After weeks of congressional back-and-forth, the ball is now in the Senate's court. It meets at 2 p.m. Monday to decide what to do next.

Full CNN Article
Paying the members of the House and Senate SHOULD be the first thing to stop.
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:25 AM   #2
erp

erp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura about

PSN: nittynittsters

Games Owned: 190
Is anybody on these forums affected by this?
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:31 AM   #3
Daydreamer

Daydreamer is just really niceDaydreamer is just really niceDaydreamer is just really niceDaydreamer is just really niceDaydreamer is just really niceDaydreamer is just really niceDaydreamer is just really niceDaydreamer is just really niceDaydreamer is just really niceDaydreamer is just really niceDaydreamer is just really nice

Games Owned: 0
Send a message via AIM to Daydreamer
if the US Government shuts down, even if it is obv coming back, it has global implications.
Daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by erp View Post
I'm a government employee. I'll elaborate more when I get home, but I'm still working through Friday at least.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
I was already furloughed (seasonal employee), but my coworkers are all furloughed now too.
Old October 1st, 2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Syndicate

Syndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud of

Live!: Syn Zero
PSN: SynZero-00

Games Owned: 448
Games Wanted: 4
...I'm a non-essential federal contractor so no work for me until this debacle ends.

"There's one party in Washington. It's the party of money."
David Cay. Johnston

"...forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead."
Phil 3:13

Current Game Rotation - Forza Horizon 3, Forza Motorsport 6, Firewatch, Halo:MCC XB1 | Phantasy Star 360 | PS3 | The Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda, Guacamelee: STCE Wii U
Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 07:48 PM   #7
Bigg Russ

Bigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Bigg Russ

Games Owned: 73
Send a message via AIM to Bigg Russ Send a message via Yahoo to Bigg Russ
"Government Shut-Down" has got to be the most oxymoronic term I've EVER heard.
Old October 1st, 2013, 10:41 PM   #8
erp

erp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura about

PSN: nittynittsters

Games Owned: 190
I'm a government contractor but fortunately my work falls under the Federal Reserve which is still functioning.
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:51 PM   #9
Shaolin

Shaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 92
Send a message via ICQ to Shaolin Send a message via Yahoo to Shaolin
Thumbs down

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/...utdown-impact/

Basically, the Tea Party gets to fuck all the agencies they wish they could get rid of permanently. Education, Labor, EPA, IRS, financial oversight, NASA...the list goes on.

Its starting to make sense to me. They knew they were never going to stop Obamacare, so they figured out a win/win situation: if they couldn't fuck Obama for his legislative victory, then they could do damage to all the agencies they're opposed to in principal. They're not in any hurry to fix it, either; they can sit back and enjoy their brief period of defunding the government.

Shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:56 PM   #10
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

I still work for the Department of Veterans Affairs, but I'm in the VBA (Benefits) part. 90% of VA employees work under VHA (the hospitals), and they're 100% exempt from furlough. VBA is about 50/50.

As for my job, we all received an extension and will be working through noon on Friday with pay (as in, getting paid on time, not waiting for the end of the shutdown). By Friday we'll know who's being furloughed, and who's staying on. Those staying on will get paid for their time, but only after the government resumes operation (IE, no pay on payday if the shutdown goes on too long, but larger retroactive paycheck). Those who do not get to work may or may not received back pay. In past shutdowns, they received backpay, but this is a different political climate and that is far from a safe bet.

Our regional director has spoken to many of us candidly, even talking to me one on one for about half an hour on Sunday. He told us to our faces which departments he requested to stay on and which he requested to furlough based on spaces allotted to him. I'm in the group that he requested to stay on, but I won't plan for that.

Honestly, I've been working 10 hours a day, 7 days a week for 2 months now. The OT pays great (was on pace for a >$70k year before my promotion), but I could use a break. I'm just going to relax with the family until this all blows over, if I get furloughed. If I go to work, OT is off the table, so it's just 40 hours a week, thankfully. Normally I'm anal about having 6 months of savings on hand, but the move up here drained me. Still, I can handle a 2-3 month furlough if needed, but I'd prefer it just be 1-2 weeks for me to recharge
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:22 AM   #11
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Russ View Post
"Government Shut-Down" has got to be the most oxymoronic term I've EVER heard.
Don't confuse the Legislative branch with all the employees of the Executive branch.

We get shit done.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:28 AM   #12
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

I didn't realize the number of people here, who are being affected by this. I knew there was one person for sure. It's too bad these clowns (the House and Senate) still collect their paychecks during this mess... that they are responsible for! If they weren't going to get paid I bet they would have had an agreement weeks ago.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 10:56 AM   #13
Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
I didn't realize the number of people here, who are being affected by this. I knew there was one person for sure. It's too bad these clowns (the House and Senate) still collect their paychecks during this mess... that they are responsible for! If they weren't going to get paid I bet they would have had an agreement weeks ago.
I doubt it. Most of their income is through other streams.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 11:51 AM   #14
Jerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
I doubt it. Most of their income is through other streams.
Yeah, you're right. I guess that was just the optimist in me
Old October 2nd, 2013, 05:10 PM   #15
Exodus

Got our update today. Extended through the month of October. However, if the shutdown continues beyond the 24th, we won't get paid on time. We'll get back paid when the government opens.

If the government stays shutdown beyond October, unknown at this time what they do with us. We're excepted, not essential, so we are not required by law to work.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:50 PM   #16
Jerome

More fun:

Quote:
143-year-old law has Washington treading gingerly during shutdown

Administration officials now live in fear of a 19th-century law that could get them fired, penalized or even imprisoned if they make the wrong choices while the government is shut down.

The law is the Antideficiency Act, passed by Congress in 1870 (and amended several times), which prohibits the government from incurring any monetary obligation for which Congress has not appropriated funds.

In shutting down the government, most memos cite the law as the reason. The Government Accountability Office says employees who violate the Antideficiency Act may be subject to disciplinary action, suspension and even "fines, imprisonment, or both."

Full NBC News Article
Old October 3rd, 2013, 02:13 PM   #17
Jerome

Quote:
Gunshots near Capitol lock down Congress

Washington (CNN) -- Gunfire erupted Thursday near the U.S. Capitol, bringing a swarm of emergency vehicles to the heart of the government in response to an emergency that locked down Congress.

Police also closed Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House.
CNN's Athena Jones, who was at a Senate office building near the Capitol, said she heard gunshots that sounded like fireworks.

The FBI dispatched units in response to reports of shots near Garfield Circle, which is on the Senate side of the Capitol.

CNN Chief Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash learned that one person was injured. No further details were immediately available.

Full CNN Article
CNN is saying a source has stated it all started with a car chase, so it might not even be related to the shutdown none sense going on, but who knows.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:05 PM   #18
Jerome

Before hardly any information came out, some idiot Republican from Texas went ahead and blamed Obama and Democrats for the shooting (source).
Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:56 PM   #19
Exodus

Just got promoted with a 25% pay raise. At least it will apply to one pay check since it is backdated to the current pay period. No guarantees after that until the government reopens.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 05:16 PM   #20
Daydreamer

Daydreamer is just really niceDaydreamer is just really niceDaydreamer is just really niceDaydreamer is just really niceDaydreamer is just really niceDaydreamer is just really niceDaydreamer is just really niceDaydreamer is just really niceDaydreamer is just really niceDaydreamer is just really niceDaydreamer is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to Daydreamer
Good luck to everyone directly affected, especially those processing my VA checks
Daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:37 PM   #21
Jerome

Not to be out-done by Tim Griffen, Texas Representative Randy Neugebauer walks around with a 'Merican flag in his suit coat and begins to blame others for the closure of the national parks and monuments, and questions how they can deny people from visiting... saying, to a female park ranger "The Park Service should be ashamed of themselves."

Last edited by Jerome : October 3rd, 2013 at 06:57 PM.
Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 09:47 PM   #22
Viper
Administrator

Viper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond reputeViper has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: JayCCity
Steam: jaycc

Games Owned: 693
Games Wanted: 64
Send a message via ICQ to Viper Send a message via AIM to Viper Send a message via Yahoo to Viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
Not to be out-done by Tim Griffen, Texas Representative Randy Neugebauer walks around with a 'Merican flag in his suit coat and begins to blame others for the closure of the national parks and monuments, and questions how they can deny people from visiting... saying, to a female park ranger "The Park Service should be ashamed of themselves."

The auto-stabilization in that video is crazy.
Old October 4th, 2013, 10:32 AM   #23
PHISIG

PHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the rough

Live!: NeutronBomb

Send a message via AIM to PHISIG Send a message via Yahoo to PHISIG
Quote:
Originally Posted by erp View Post

Been furloughed since Monday. 4 days and counting sitting at home. I work for DoD. REaaaaally hoping they back pay us like they did last shutdown.. was just recovering from the furloughs this summer too.

Believe me, Jamal's not getting a $2000.00 toy. You must mean little Tommy, or Chip.
PHISIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #24
Setec

Setec is on a distinguished roadSetec is on a distinguished roadSetec is on a distinguished road

I'm a defense contractor, but our contract is forward funded through the summer of 2014. So we're fine unless the shutdown lasts that long.
Setec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #25
Jerome

I just found out that my daughter's preschool will have to close, if the shut-down goes beyond a certain date. I can't remember the exact date, but it's a ways out yet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: