ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gadgets & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 5th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #1
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Games Wanted: 0
Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro - The future of computing?

This is the device that I imagined when Asus first announced their Transformer Android tablet nearly 2 years ago (it was released March 2011).

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/t...XE700T1C-A04US

Basically, my issue with tablets is that they are essentially just a smartphone OS scaled to a larger screen. Sure, there are tablet apps that take better advantage of the tablet over a smartphone, such as Google's Chrome. The browser on a tablet acts more like the desktop counterpart (just 4 versions behind). Make no mistake though, these are still "apps" and not "programs." These devices are still very limited compared to a desktop PC or even a laptop.

However, with Windows 8, we're seeing some hybrid devices. Like the Asus Transformer, these are tablets that connect to a foldable keyboard dock to act as a laptop. Windows 8 RT functions more like a tablet using ARM chips, but Windows 8 Pro uses x86 chips. The Asus VIVO Tab Pro is much like their transformer, just using Windows 8 Pro on an Intel Atom, 2GB RAM, 1366x768 display, and even an Intel integrated media accelerator.

However, the Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro dwarfs that. Intel Core-i5 (dual-core variant), 4GB DDR3 RAM, Intel HD4000, and a true 1080p display. This is a real computer, not an overgrown phone. So far, I've found it for sale at only 3 places, and thankfully nowhere near the listed $1,900 price tag on Samsung's website.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-ATIV-S.../dp/B0098O9TRO
http://www.expansys-usa.com/samsung-...psrid=26279350
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/SAM...psrid=26279346

Personally, I'm waiting for the Haswell-based variants to start coming out in late summer. A true quad-core Haswell i5/i7, w/6 or 8GB of RAM, and potentially a dedicated GPU like today's newer ultrabooks, just separated from the keyboard. With how thin the new iMac is, getting those specs on a 12" tablet is very close to reality.

This is the real post-PC era, and who would have thought that Microsoft would have executed it so well before someone else?
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
A 12" tablet is a bit big. Also, I can buy separate devices and save half the cost, for my usage anyway.
Old November 5th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #3
notsofun28

notsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant future

Games Owned: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
A 12" tablet is a bit big. Also, I can buy separate devices and save half the cost, for my usage anyway.
I agree with the 12" being too big. I already find the iPad is sometimes just a tiny bit too large in certain situations.
Old November 5th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #4
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsofun28 View Post
I agree with the 12" being too big. I already find the iPad is sometimes just a tiny bit too large in certain situations.
I suppose if you're thinking of it as a tablet first, then it's too big. If you think of it as a laptop first, it might be too small. But, that's not how I look at it.

-It's a best-in-class tablet when I need it to be, but runs all of my desktop programs.

-When docked, it's a true foldable laptop.

-On my desk, I can run HDMI to my monitor, audio cable to my speakers, and USB hub to keyboard/mouse. It can become a desktop replacement to someone who doesn't game.

This is an excellent, versatile system.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #5
PHISIG

PHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the rough

Live!: NeutronBomb

Games Owned: 0
Send a message via AIM to PHISIG Send a message via Yahoo to PHISIG
I've tried the Samsung atom version.... a bit under powered. Size was fine though. I love the surface but RT seems like such a waste compared to the atom chips. I'm pretty much in the same boat waiting on has well versions. I do have a surface rt in the meantime though.

Believe me, Jamal's not getting a $2000.00 toy. You must mean little Tommy, or Chip.
PHISIG is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: